Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
The current meltdown is that it will be a mandatory addition to the game which changes and rebalances all the flyers and adds another long rear end phase.

As opposed to just rules for doing the dumb dog fight stuff again,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

moths posted:

I just picked up a hugely marked-down Codex: Daemons so I can play my now-defunct WHFB army against my friends! Apparently I need to do Nurgle or Khorne to go 30k.

But uh... 24/7 Slaanesh looks like a recipe for disappointment.

Please send help. Is it viable to run monotheist Chaos daemons anymore, or do I need to wait for Daemonkin: Slaanesh?
You certainly can! In my group of friends, we've all piloted monotheist lists to reasonable success, both competitively and casually. Curse of the Wulfen is a really nice boost, and I highly recommend snagging it or mooching off a SW player. Our Slaanesh dude normally does something like, with upgrades flavored in -
Daemonic Incursion:
Flayertroupe w. x6 Daemonettes, Herald
Grand Cavalcade w. Seeker blob, x5 Chariots, Herald on Seeker
CAD:
Herald on Seeker
x2 Nurglings (a little cheat on theme and you could replace these with Daemonettes, but they are cheap and synergize with the Incursion.)
Slaanesh Knight

It's an absolute tide of crap rolling at you, and the Herald in the CAD is Warlord to try and fish for the "run and assault" trait Slaanesh gets. You can get straight up turn 1 assault half the board with the trait and the Seekers from the Cavalcade, it's hilarious. You can beat anything but AV 13 in CC with enough rends, you're very mobile, and you field so many models that it is difficult for many lists to grind you out enough to reclaim corrupted objectives. It's a fun army.

You can still build something strong through a plain old CAD. Slaanesh in general, though, really wants to go all in on one or two plans because Slaanesh's gimmicks do nothing to keep you alive. (Also, the Keeper of Secrets isn't very good, I'd avoid it.)

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I know some of you guys are already familiar with the Glacial Geek, but I want to drop his stuff here. His batreps are a lot of fun, though he plays DA like 95% of the time. It's sorta his deal, though he plays a ton of different guys and is really down to throwdown versus any list. He's good fun to watch when you paint or whatever, since he's a really chill dude whose worst sin is pretty much going "woooo" and looking for Phil faces (on custom dice I, and a bunch of locals, went in on as a gift.) Plus, he generally knows the rules. Big plus there.Here's the first half of this, the most recent batrep, which has your boy Von Humboldt representing the CSM/Renegades and rocking models of wildly varying quality. I earlier did a "Campaign in a Day" with the Glacial Geek, and due to miscommunication, I had about three days to paint 3000 points. I got it done (it includes a Baneblade not shown here; the Scorpion was done ages ago!) but I have not touched the models since then. Or paint since then.

Anyways, I wanted to recognize and hype something cool my buddy does, show off my own minis, show off the minis of Ray (the Sister's player and the only dude with dice as rough as Phil) and Colin (my Daemonic ally who got distracted and didn't finish basing his counts-as Uterblight.) I think it's pretty fun, and it's nice to have some friendly batreps to chill with!

(I am also responsible for scripting the opening narration. This includes the Yeats, as I am a huge nerd.)

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Master Twig posted:

I know one guy who is very upset he can't run his 5 knight detachment anymore.

Mostly it's that people have put lots of money and effort into building and painting an army that they can't use anymore.
But... he can! There's a detachment for it and everything!

The rules are different (and the relics are gone) but you can still take a five Knight detachment 100% within 8th.

edit : 2 slow 2 furious

• Locked thread