Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Characters not in units p huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

'here are a few examples' so no doubt LoW ones will be present

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Just bought one of those Taotronic lights. Bloody nice actually, would recommend for painting.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Lol those fb screenshots, below is a question starting '5 Knights is a fun and fluffy list...'

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

ITT: People now getting annoyed at GW dropping information too far in advance of the release and bitching we don't have unit profiles to go along with the rules they've given good amounts of info about

Ham: truly the saltiest meat

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I bought that intro pack with paints, brushes and a few ultramarines at the weekend, I'm sure it's terrible value but the ease of just getting everything you need to start painting in a single box was nice. A few of the paints had separated and were, uh, lumpy?

Still it was a lot of fun and has just made the itch worse rather than scratching it :v:

I'm still torn on what to start collecting though, I really like the aesthetic of the sisters of battle, followed by the grey knights and inquisition but they are all apparently quite awkward or expensive to collect, especially for beginners? I really hope SoB get new models and an intro box with 8e

Always be sure to shake the paints vigorously before you use them, as the pigments can separate.

Make sure the tops are firmly on first

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Loving these changes

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Also although bolters can wound dreads on a 5+, before they used to be able to glance on a 6+ against rear armour and only needed 3 of those to outright kill. The dread would need to be in cover to even get a save, and it meant a squad of 10 could easily rapid fire a dread down if they got behind it. Overall much more survivable.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Looks pretty good so far. Keen to know how the points and power levels will operate though. I think that is going to be p clutch.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

They need to track down whoever made those charts and whoever positively commented on them and just ban them from purchasing GW product ever again

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

It's clear they're going to have a Generals Handbook which has all points in, cross referenced to the datasheets. So to play competitive you need 2-3 things:

1) the rules
2) datasheet and
(3) the points list). You don't even need the points list for playing the game... Just list building.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Have they shared with us what will be the major time savers in 8th? I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I really don't see how the changes they have shared would cut the game time in half, maybe like 20 or 40 minutes, but my shortest 2,000 point games run around 4 hours.

No templates, truncated psychic phase, quicker shooting, less stages to combat, less looking up USRs or faffing about with rule interactions for desthstars I think are the main ones so far?

Also hard to gauge points between editions tbh, as we don't know relative power levels much still. 13 points for an 8th ed marine is not the same as a 14 pt 7th ed marine... As the 8th ed marine is fighting 8th ed armies.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Also is it correct that if something is summoned and dies then that frees up its points again in the pool?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Makes sense. So if I have 5 Khorne dogs, 10 blood letters and 3 blood crushers, all costing the same points, I can just pick which one would suit the situation when the time comes to summon? Good way of doing it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Judging by what we've seen with characters, spamming HQs probably isn't going to be the best tactic as they will all be standing holding their dicks and unable to be protected as you won't have as many troops to shield shooting

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Thank God. That was always my number 1 issue. I don't want to have ultramarines stuff pushed on me after a quick chat about how I'm collecting salamanders, good God.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

ITT: people sperging about how a battle cannon is no longer an effective anti-knight weapon

Jfc, I'm beginning to understand why GW closed all their official forums if this is what you get.

8th ed looks fantastic, templates are a cool idea but poo poo in practice, I for one welcome our new overlords

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

chutche2 posted:

Do you mind finding the post suggesting battle cannons were ever effective anti-knight weapons?

People were talking about battle cannons sucking balls against infantry now. Even if marines are caught out in the open they get 5+ saves against it for the one or two shots that do hit.

Master Twig posted:

The big issue with battle cannons is that it's D6 shots, not D6 hits. They say it's a great tank killer now, but with only 1d3 damage, they're still only likely to do 2 or 4 wounds on a vehicle. Not really that impressive. A Leman Russ firing against a T8 knight with a 5+ invuln you're looking at 1.17 hull points on average. That's pathetic. 

Again, I'd rather wait to see the bigger picture then start Mathammer raging about how they clearly 'suck against infantry' when we've only seen snapshot rules

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Beast Hunter shells were A Thing in previous editions so there is the potential for something similar for anti armour BC to come out in the future... But arguably you should just take a Vanq if you want to be taking out tanks with a leman russ.

I just don't see how you can make a BC better against vehicles without just making it 'not a BC'

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Any idea on pricing for those books?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/1uPWPbi.jpg

Adding to chaplain chat, RG chaplain with an axe vs a crozius

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I preferred the idea that the Emperor needs to be taken off the throne but by this stage he can't even speak psychically, so Guilliman just brooded staring at his corpse for a while before deciding 'gently caress it, let's crusade and do this.'

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

If they have a decent army builder app then this will not be a problem, but I doubt they will.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

JackMack posted:

Cross posting from the oath thread. I loved painting this guy. When the dust finally settles he will be a giant spawn.

This is horrible. Well done! Can't wait to shoot it up next goonocalypse!

8th seems Cool and Good so far.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

No normal Marines in that artwork. Big Marines are the new normal.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

"Tau and Adeptus Mechanics"

New 8th ed army confirmed

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

'those who would see the Master of Mankind dead'?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

JackMack I'd love to go to another goonmeet... However Sep 5th isn't a Saturday? It's a Tuesday! 2nd September should work for me which is a Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

JackMack sounds good mate haha, I'll see what Adam is doing! Immortalised for his ability to not completely repulse one of the few women in WHW.

I'll happily try 8th ed for the day!

• Locked thread