Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

I've always loved the look of wraith models for eldar and loved the fluff. Now that my 13,000 points of imperial troops are painted and based, I've got more imperial stuff coming.

When they're done I'm looking at that Iyanden supplement. Is it any good? Those melee wraith guard... Yum.

Iyanden is pretty good if you want an army that's made up entirely of Wraith* units because you can take them as HQs and it has some Wraith-oriented relics. If you're going the Wraithwhatever right, you'd do fine using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
at least they explained precision shots

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sp, precision shots. Whats the deal?

Any model with the Precision Shot rule can allocate wounds as they wish if they roll a 6 to hit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
As in it's now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do to Tac squads and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience, yes. It was never going to be 'every model can freely allocate hits' and if you thought it was I don't know what to tell you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As in, it (the AM order Take Aim) is now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do (do replacing the verb series 'firing under the effects of Take Aim') to Tac squads (a common Space Marine unit that at max size can bunker heavy and special weapons behind chaff models), and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly (Guardsman are a cheap unit, justifying this with low BS/WS and high model counts; thematically and from a gameplay perspective, it does not make sense for a squad of rookie Guardsman to somehow be better shots than Azrael, a Space Marine captain famed for his accuracy) somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience (Illic Nightspear allows you to upgrade a 12 point model to a 25 point model; these models gain the ability to allocate their wounds as they wish). It was never going to be 'every model can freely allocate hits' and if you thought it was I don't know what to tell you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Master Twig posted:

How does wound allocation work for precision shots? If I put two wounds on a model and that model fails its first save, do I lose that extra wound or can it be allocated elsewhere?

It seems as though you could allocate the wound elsewhere: the rulebook says you allocate a wound, save against it, and then allocate again [pg 35]. Your precision shot wound pool would be a separate 'wound pool' from the non-precision shot wounds, however.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'Should' and 'would' are very different things. Ideally yes, but it would not surprise me if the answer they give you is 'forge a narrative experience as best you can with the rules you have!'.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DO IT TO IT posted:

People are telling me that Troops confer the Objective Secured rule to the dedicated transport that they're riding in. Has anyone found this in the rulebook and can give me a page number? I've looked under transports, objective secured, and scoring objectives and see it nowhere.

'All Troops units from this Detachment have the Objective Secured special rule' in conjunction with the fact that a Troops choice's DT is considered a Troop.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It does mean that The Emperor's Benediction is completely useless, however, as the only things that can take it can already allocate on a 6-unless, of course, they changed if Characters automatically get Precision Shot.

Characters and Shooting: Characters shoot just like ordinary models of their type.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The juries still out on this one , but I think if you sumon a Daemon Squad with a instrument you automatically also get to bring in any unit that has the Daemon type in from reserve automaticlly, Obliterators are Daemons, so Are Bloodthirsters and Soul Grinders.. This can be done on the first turn... like I said it's funky.

Summoning them doesn't make any mention of passing a Reserves roll.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 26, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Pacheeco posted:

Also, as far as I can tell, nowhere does it say a summoned Daemon unit gets any sort of upgrades.

I thought this too, but it's listed on page 27, under 'Conjuring Demons'; they can take an Instrument/Icon/character upgrade for free. I'd just been checking the spell. Either way it's not the same as passing a reserves roll.

Hollismason posted:

You're actually straight up wrong.

If a conjuration power creates a unit from Codex: Chaos Daemons and that unit’s Army List Entry includes the option to take an Icon of Chaos, an Instrument of Chaos and/or the option to upgrade one model to a character, you may take any of these options for free provided you have the appropriate model available.

Yeah, I caught that when I checked the actual rules for 'Conjuring Demons'. You'd think they'd put that by the spell.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 26, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I'm not going to bring this up anywhere but here, but you can shut down a summoning army pretty fast with those Servo Skull things.

they should have sent a poet... :unsmith:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Who even takes flamers in squads when you can have a plasma/melta gun too?

I guess someone planning on facing Orks?

joke answer 30k death guard.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
S6 3d6, RIP fire warriors forever

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Ballistic Skill 2.

You throw enough poo poo at a wall...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
turn 4: i fire my first shots of the game

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

krushgroove posted:

If anyone has seen the new Godzilla movie yet...reeeally makes me want to get that big 'Nid model from Forgeworld.

I know right? Surprised the hell out of me, I did not see that coming.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's an AV13 5HP vehicle. What should it be priced at? It's not good but it's 230 points for something your opponent needs to shoot at.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 27, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Squifferific posted:

I'm disappointed that the Klaw of Gork (or possibly Mork) on the Morkanaut isn't called the Klaw of Mork (or possibly Gork).

I was looking for this too. :smith:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
have it fight in a challenge against a Knight or whatever, loser-leaves-town match w/r/t supremacy of the galaxy

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Character is a unit subtype. Independent Character is a rule.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If your opponent is not spamming summoning, what exactly are psykers doing that you really give a poo poo about?

Hollismason posted:

Yes, Absolutely . They for some reason changed Daemons the way they choose Heralds. Each Detachment can now have 4.

This isn't new, a single 'Herald' HQ slot in C:CD allowed you to bring 4 Heralds.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, I read 'each detachment' and saw 'primary detachment'.

The Lore of Change shooting attacks aren't new, though. If you didn't care about them before you're probably not going to start a Space Wolves psyker-hate list now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The Blue Scribe's functionality didn't change in the FAQ, did it? All they did was change the language of the Scrolls to work in 7th.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just put on some foundation, guys, it's no big deal. You want to look professional while making bad jokes and getting all the rules wrong.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I mean yeah stuff like 'don't smell offensive' or 'don't have oily fingers' all make sense but I think 'wearing foundation' is a bit beyond the call of normal person hygiene.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I know what foundation is, but if you're trying to make video reports better you'd start with stuff like 'use a tripod, invest in video editing software that doesn't rely on power point slide transitions, have people use clear speaking voices'. 'This grognard's skin tone is uneven' is absurdly low on the totem pole of 'why this poo poo sucks' compared to things like 'solid-colored sprayed minis' or 'you don't even see the things we do during our turns!'.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hmm yes perhaps an even application of liquid greenstuff coated with cadian fleshtone will hide this pox mark

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

How do you afford this hobby? One of my sisters has worked as a stage manager for years in New York and she doesn't make much. :smith:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You guys do know there's still the old set of missions, right? If the Maelstrom (Wackiness) of War isn't suitably cinematic just play the Eternal War missions.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I need some 30k list help. I'm going to have a blob of 10 Terminators, and I'm wondering what to load them out with. I'm thinking Reaper autocannons and Volkites, but I'm not sold. What do people like?

While we're on the topic, what happens if you master-craft a Volkite?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
pretend they are so good at throwing they threw them from orbit days ago and are just arriving now

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

What kind of terminators? The ones that are relentless should take reapers, since you can move and shoot. I’d probably keep them as cheap as possible and avoid Volkite’s or Plasma Blastguns. You do your business in assault, so spend those points on a way to get you into assault.

Cataphractiis, so Slow and Purposeful. It's basically choosing whether or not Twin-Linked is worth more than AP2 vs AP4 (and the Reaper autocannons looking really loving cool). The idea was to have a big blob of Volkites as an expensive gunline centerpoint; 8 Volkites can hit up to 32 times.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So this is the army I'm making to play opposite my Death Guard.

Legiones Astartes (Iron Warriors)
HQ
Legion Praetor + Cataphractii + Warsmith + Cortex Controller + Digital Lasers + Thunder Hammer
Pride of the Legion
220 points

Troops
Legion Terminator Squad + 5 Terminators + 2 Reaper Autocannons + 8 Volkite Chargers
397 points

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad
295 points

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad
295 points

Heavy Support
Castellax + Castellax + 2 Multi-meltas (?) + power blades
190 points

Lord of War
Typhon + Lascannons
390 points

I'm not sold on the Typhon here, but it is cheap for the slot, and brings a lot of damage to the table.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Power blades on Castellax are a waste of points. MCs already do AP2 attacks by default and they FAQed the 'pair of shock chargers' to give you +1 attack. Also at 220 points for a preator I would consider grabbing one of the named dudes since they cost less and for better abilities.

The power blades are honestly so I can only buy 2 models and not have to mix and match buying 4 Castellax; likewise 50 points of the Praetor is spent on Warsmith+Cortex. He's a big investment but the Castellax are a big part of the list so I think it's worth it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Just pretend they have shock chargers? It's obviously your call, but Kyr Vahlen costs less points, comes with a cortex controller, and a bunch of other cool poo poo.

e: or take Golg and throw a cortex controller onto him for an extra 15 points. For less points you get the Iron Warrior rite of war, terminator troops, extra armour on everything, hammer of wrath for your cataphracts, and everybody is leadership 9

I actually emailed Forgeworld (about a different topic) but the response they gave me was 'named characters can't alter their wargear unless it's explicitly stated'. It's definitely more points than I want to spend but it's the only way to do what I was trying to. I'll mess around with Golg theory crafting (if I take Golg and no Castellax the difference is basically another Term squad) and see which I like more.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure you still need at least one model on the board at game start.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
In case anyone was wondering, the relevant rules for needing to deploy models is under 'victory conditions'; you just need to have models on the board at the end of a game turn.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can anyone tell me if Tyrant Siege Termies can fire both their Cyclones and an additional ranged weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
He's saying what to do in the house-rule Drop Pods Don't Score scenario.

• Locked thread