Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I never play Warhammer without visiting the salon.

E:Though I will say that more people should shower before venturing out the the gamestore.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
If you nerds are worried about whether 40k house rules can sustain a thread why not make a House Rules Megathread?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kaysette posted:

Please post this on dakka then crosspost all the PMs you get.

e: hot drat, speaking of dakka: this old chestnut is currently on their front page and needs to go in the OP.

I'm the carefully modeled piss

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

He's ostensibly also the god of life and such, but hey, instead we just get Nurgle's Rot and his followers are fat and laugh sometimes.

I mean you can read it like killing people in the Imperium is an act of benevolence because it's kind of poo poo but really all we see is him turning people into zombies and giving them mega-sars. If he is loving and caring, it's certainly not the way we'd imagine it.

Nurgle is a god of decay and stagnation who has a god of life locked in his basement. The positive aspects of Nurgle are more along the lines of acceptance of the inevitable and joy in the face of adversity.

Slaanesh is probably the closest to a traditional god/ess of life, as they're all about reveling in life's excess and the like. Tzeentch is represents hope as well as change but all his change exists to further a greater goal and usually involves mutating the poo poo out of anyone who can't play along. Khorne is of course BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD SKULLS and will always be powerful since everyone follows him to some extent when they fight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's too bad that people always go for the Sexed Up Demon Lady models for Slaneesh. Personally, I'd have demons running around with giant needles and piles of coke, but that's just me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I like the original Daemonettes not the new ones. I dunno I think the new ones are purposefully to "sexy".

I've thought of going with something like a unit of Dark Elves ( weird cult people with masks who's name I can't remember" but even those have tits. Grrr.

I want creepy and disgusting , vaguely sexual not " tits everywhere, nothing but huge tits".

These ones, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
There was also that one terrible live action Warhammer film from years ago with the Genestealers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

drgnvale posted:

Was this the german fan-film that was basically a dark heresy larp?

Nah, this was much older and official. IIRC it was made out of a demo reel edited into a short film after a movie project feel through. It had a terribly generic name and I can't seem to find it on youtube anymore.

E: Found one thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBplpT3Iy4

E2: Oh poo poo, found the long one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClfhBZR9-As

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 23, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ignite Memories posted:

S i x t y

T h r e e

U.S.

D o l l a r s .

$76 CAD. We're the north american Australia.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I love Streum On and am so goddamn hyped for this. Looks like it could very well be the best upcoming 40k game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Halved and quartered colour schemes look so good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

I understand a new SW flyer may be on deck.

It'll be a Dark Angels flyer with a rhino hanging underneath.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's really disappointing that Stormclaw is limited edition. Aww well, at least I know a guy that will take the Ork stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

At first I was going to correct you that they were binoculars, but then I realized having a double-flask disguised as binoculars is loving awesome.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I like the idea that the Wolves cut their Caestuses in half so that they would look more like boats.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

The SW flyer looks good :smith:

I like all the Space Marine flyers, it's just too bad that my favourite one is not worthwhile at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Blue Horrors are neato

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Dreadnaughts with the guy inside's loving face on show are the epitome of 'gently caress helmets' in 40k. Seriously, muderfang, you have a loving DREADNOUGHT BODY and you can be taken out with a lucky cap to the loving face.

You can't show off your sick sideburns if you have a helmet on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Hand posted:

I hope the rules for that shield+axe dread are awesome... cause he looks badass.

The Dreadknight should have looked more like that IMO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

They really need a new "motiff" or something for Blood Angels, I just find the current stuff boring. However Mephiston is still incredible.

I'd like to see them emphasize the whole greek statue/vampire thing some more.

The Blood Angels upgrade sprue should include more man nipples and capes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Went to Forgeworld website to check if there was in fact a Librarian Dread they made, then noticed, wait ForgeWorld still has open days. Where you can come and see the new poo poo their making and get all super excited. They need to hire whoever is in charge of Forgeworld to run GW.

They don't but this guy is bad rear end.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Dreadnoughts/HECATON_AIAKOS_MINOTAURS_CONTEMPTOR_DREADNOUGHT.html

Had not seen this model.

Stuff like that makes me wish that the Iron Hands Contemptor was less bland. Hell, I wish all of their unique models besides Ferrus and the Iron Father were more unique.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know a lot of people say that Dark Angels are terrible, what is it exactly that makes them so bad?

Regular Space Marines get basically everything for equal or less points, the mediocre flyer and Land Speeder are fragile and cost too many points and they don't have access to some of the better Space Marine toys like the Thunderfire cannon.

They have a few points in their favour but regular Space Marines do almost everything they do for less points.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Magni posted:

Wait, did GW just make it canon that Bjorn is pissed because of all the WOLFWOLFWOLF bullshit? Okay, that actually rules. :allears:

That would be really great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Personally I find the WolfSled to be Rogue Trader as hell and I love it. Murderfist is allright though I'm not fond of the head sticking out while Bjorn and the Venerable are hella sweet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

One of you glorious bastards posted a great link to painting lightning effects that I used for the first time today. I think my duder turned out OK:

This is also the first time I've painted such a hard contrast between the recesses and the highlighted ork skin. I like the much brighter look it produces.

I like it. The lightning effect is neato, though I have to say that it looks like an intimidating model to paint.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dulkor posted:

Quick question. If I felt compelled to get a Nephilim kit just because I think it looks cool, what would be the least useless load-out to give it for the tabletop?

The Nephilim is the better of the two DA flyers. Use the Lascannon if you want to hit vehicles and tough infantry and the bolter for hordes. You aren't exactly spoiled for choice as far as wargear goes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

zeal posted:

What is that crazy Mechanicus mech?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/THANATAR_SIEGE-AUTOMATA.html

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's too bad that DreadFleet bombed because we would probably have gotten an Epic or Adeptus Titanicus boxset by now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Von Humboldt posted:

Would not even be mad. Burn all army books to the ground and make everything Dark Angels level. :getin:

Flakk upgrades as far as the eye can see

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

I know it's pre-alpha stuff but uuuugh it looks like upscaled DoW models.

Old news at this point.

Some of the extremely early footage they showed was basically just Space Marine multiplayer with unfinished maps. I'm not very optimistic for this game, though I will play the hell out of it if it isn't irredeemable garbage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dump_Stat posted:

Yeah but to be fair on the opposite end of the arguement, $20 extra for those neat little bits, compared to other SM equivalents?

The Iron Hands upgrade sprue is $22 CAD so it isn't out of line. Expensive, but not out of the ordinary.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shadeoses posted:

The new Nagash is a step back in skullcount, so I'm ambivalent.

40K lore: The Decree of Passivity states that no member of the Ecclesiarchy can have a standing (male) army, so they are mostly protected by the Sisters of Battle and random zealots who are pointed at the enemy. This makes sense for temple guards and bodyguards. What happens when a high-ranking Cardinal owns an entire planet, like a Shrine World? Wouldn't they need a PDF, SDF, that sort of thing?

I would think that the PDF would technically be part of the local government rather than the Ecclesiarchy. Then again, I'm not well versed in fictional futurechurch politics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
There are no bees on Sedge. They're all humans and space marines that have an Apoidea Helix that went out of control, transforming them into bees. Now they're cursed to forever pollinate, but can redeem themselves by stinging the enemies of mankind.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HardCoil posted:

Reading 40K fluff is like listening to children play. They'll say the most awesome thing about their toy they can come up with at any given moment. Don't expect it to have internal consistency.

Those are obviously wasps!
:eng101:

Well I told you there weren't any bees

I wonder if the Space Sharks have Thundersharks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

This is all I can think of when I look at the claw:

I want to paint some space mans all colourful like a Chris Foss illustration.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

DO IT. Its the only correct way to make non-grimdark space vehicles. I'm totally doing my Dropzone Commander army in the same style:

What I'm saying is never not Chris Foss your space models.

Foss artwork seems like it would translate to minis pretty well, considering it's mostly primary colours and stripes. I'm actually using the space jolly roger from his Dune concept art for my space marine chapter symbol since it's easy to paint and I am bad at painting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Soulfucker posted:

Bring back the EoW Unspiration thread thanks in advance

Yes please

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

I would love for an SA Un-Inspiration thread. It was my favorite art of EoW.

Is EoW even around anymore?

Nope

The dickogres will live on in our hearts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Raphus C posted:

Some guy trading as White Metal Games had some spectacularly awful conversions. The random toys glued to each other kind. I wish I could find pictures of the Jabba the Hutt scratch build.

I think I have it saved on my old computer.

Oh god, I think I remember that one. That was on an ebay store, right? poo poo, I wish I still had my unspiration folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Hey, I made a thread for Unspirational models.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660745

• Locked thread