Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
If my opponent makes me go first, can I roll a d6 to Reject the Initiative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My only 40k buddy at the moment is thinking of getting the 7th edition rule book. We're still sort of learning 6th edition, does anyone think switching to 7th would mess us up too much? (Neither of us have messed with Psychic powers yet.)

Fix posted:

On a 6 you take a nap.

I'll keep an eye out for a GW-compatible bed.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Please help, I have no idea what I'm doing. Trying to put together a 1000 point list of Blood Angels, here is what I have so far:

Troops
10 Death Company w/Rhino (250 pts)
2 Death Company Dreadnoughts (250 pts)

Heavy Support
5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers in Razorback w/Twin-Linked Lascannon (220 pts)

I almost threw Mephiston in there, but then I realized I'd be spending nearly 1000 points for 20 models. My buddy and I have been playing Purge the Alien, so I'm not too concerned about Death Company not scoring right now.

I mean, this is for a casual game, so maybe I should JUST PLAY?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm playing without proxies. That said, I bought a large amount of Blood Angels used from someone. I have over 100 Space Marines with various weapons, 30 Assault Marines (6 meltas, 3 power fist sarges), Terminators and Assault Terminators, 2 Death Company or Furioso Dreads, 1 Dreadnought w/Assault cannon, 3 converted Sanguinary Priests, 5 Rhino Chassis (1 Whirlwind Launcher, 1 Twin-Linked Lascannon), 1 Vindicator, 1 Drop Pod.

HQs I have are: Mephiston, Librarian with Bolt Pistol, Reclusiarch with Plasma Pistol, Reclusiarch with Power Fist, Captain with Power Axe/Plasma Pistol, Captain with Storm Bolter/Power Sword.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Chirurgeon, I'm going to join everyone else in saying that board looks awesome. It has plenty of terrain while still allowing you to move stuff without knocking 8 buildings over.

And thank you to Infinite Karma, LingcodKilla, Pacheeco, Jing2058, and AbusePuppy for the advice. I did not think of how fragile a 5-man squad would be, as I was blinded by the Black Rage. Found out my friend just bought a Riptide, so I may end up starting over. (Why is the Riptide a Monstrous Creature while the Dreadnoughts are Vehicles?)

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Looking at the Blood Angels FAQ, I've decided I'll probably wait on moving to 7th edition until they get their next Codex. Unless 8th edition is out by then. And if they don't get their unique powers then, I'll just add the word "Blood" to other powers. Bloody Prescience, Sanguine Arm, Smite (But with blood somehow).

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Warlord traits and psychic powers seem too important/useful to be randomized. It's not like we roll for Wargear. I would love to see the option to pay points to "lock in" a power or trait, but that would require either testing each power/trait to see what their individual points costs should be, or making them all balanced to begin with.

Also, I don't think I could ever play a historical. Just something about fighting actual battles that real people fought and died in doesn't sit well with me. I mean, who cares if I send Brother Chaplain Captain Master Blood-Fistius to an early grave?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Any advice for making Space Sharks? I've seen some online which used Chaos Space Marines as a base due to their older makes of armour, but how much work would it take to get them looking less evil?

This is just curiosity at the moment. I'm not going to start on another army until... Well, until my willpower breaks like the weak tissue paper it is.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My Blood Angels battled my friend's Tau force last night in an 850 point game (6th edition). It was fun, although I was utterly destroyed. Looking back on the game, it was mostly due to my incompetence as a general. We rolled for the mission and got "The Relic". My main mistake was pursuing combat instead of going for the objective. Second mistake was learning which units have Supporting Fire during an attempted charge, causing that Assault Squad to eat about 45 Overwatch shots. Lastly, my force was made of units I wanted to mess around with, whereas he's been researching Blood Angels to find out what weapons/units to bring.

Needless to say, I need to step my game up. Our next game will be 1250 points.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I still see zoggin' legz and torso! 0/10 would not loot.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I had my first 40k victory earlier tonight. Our mission was 6e's The Scouring, and my Iron Hands Space Marines beat their Tau adversaries 6-5 at the end of turn 5 thanks to variable game length. We counted my victory as "official" and played through until the end of turn 7, where the score was then Iron Hands 5-Tau 10. Most of the fun was watching an Iron Hands Chapter Master with Artificer Armour, Shield Eternal, and a Thunder Hammer in action. Both seeing how much punishment he could take and his assault capability. Once he got into assault anyway, since I mistakenly left him on foot.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any sensible way to have a free-for-all with three players? It seems like we would be better off having 2-on-1 games with each side having the same total points to work with. My brother and his friend want to play some 40k, but I'm the one who knows the rules and has all the actual 40k stuff, so my options are awkward 3 player games or they play while I act as ref.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
In that case, I'll probably just ref the two of them while they learn, which will give all of us more experience with the rules. Later on, we'll try some FFA's when we just feel like rolling dice and playing "Space Cowboys & Indians".

"You're dead!"
"Nuh-uh, my foot's behind this tree, so I get a cover save!"
"Well--- My gun ignores cover now."

Edit: Oh, THAT'S how GW writes the rules.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Played 1,000 points of Necrons vs Tau. Tau won, but man I had a good time.
Highlights Include:
-Annihilation Barge being blown up from the first shot against it
-C'Tan Shard on his last wound surviving 3 consecutive turns of missiles from 2 Broadsides and 4 Missile Drones
-Scarabs vs. Pathfinders/Fire Warriors: Or how I learned not to underestimate those things I got with a box of Warriors
-The game reaching a climatic showdown, only to be stopped by a d6 rolling 2 at the end of turn 5 (Does anyone just ignore variable game length?)

Just before the game, my opponent/friend gave me some terrain he didn't want, including a Mordheim Starter box containing only the plastic/card terrain pieces. I told him that it was good terrain and fairly popular/sought after online, but he insisted. I'm off to check online to see if it's the complete set from the starter, and if there are specific instructions on assembly.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm putting together a Blood Angels list right now and I was wondering: Is a Power Fist worth it on an Assault Sergeant? Hell, for 5 points more I could give him 2 Infernus pistols. I was considering just giving my Sergeants Melta Bombs.

For reference, I'm playing against Tau and I have 2 Assault Squads with Meltas and 1 Assault Squad with Flamers (Maybe those should be Meltas too).

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Any advice on "must-have" units for Blood Angels? I have the basics covered, so now I'm looking to fill out my Elite/Fast Attack/Heavy Support slots. Trying to resist the urge to just collect Dreadnoughts & Drop Pods.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Of course the Orks are a legal army! They're UNBOUND.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Blood Angels Army- 1500 pts

HQ
-Librarian w/Jump Pack 125

Elites
-Sanguinary Guard w/2 Power Fist 220
-2 Sanguinary Priest w/Jump Pack 150

Troops
-10 Death Company w/3 Power Sword and 2 Thunder Hammer 305
-2 Death Company Dreadnought w/Lightning Claws 250
-10 Assault Squad w/2 Meltas and Infernus Pistol Sergeant 225 (Attach Sang Priest)
-10 Assault Squad w/2 Meltas and Infernus Pistol Sergeant 225 (Attach Sang Priest)

For this list, I've decided to go with "Units I think look cool and want to see how they do" approach. This is probably going to see use against Tau next week and possibly Chaos Space Marines also. I'm probably not skilled enough to make effective use of even a good list, so I'm curious to see how this will do.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
The Blood Angels get some cool/unique Psychic powers since I'm still playing 6th edition. Compared to a Codex: Space Marines Librarian, they are worse in a couple of ways. For example, the Librarian with a Jump Pack in C:SM would cost 80 points instead of Blood Angels' 125 points! And the BA Librarian doesn't benefit from Red Thirst, unlike C:SM Librarians who get their Chapter Tactics. Otherwise their stats and starting wargear are identical and they're both mastery level 1.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
It looks like a super sized 'gaunt with more pokey bits.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Looking at Commander Dante, he boasts a higher Initiative than other Chapter Masters, but he's rocking an Unwieldy melee weapon. Is it just high for the purposes of taking Initiative tests?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Dante's stats predate power axes becoming unwieldy. He struck at full I in 5E.

Oh. Well, that's a shame. Initiative 1 is a very bad neighborhood for anyone without Eternal Warrior.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Any recommendations for using 40k Chapter Tactics to represent the Chaos Legions before their turns to Chaos? Aside from using their Horus Heresy rules, I mean. Examples I've seen so far have been the Carcharodons CT for World Eaters, and Salamanders CT to represent Emperor's Children due to characters getting a master crafted weapon.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Alpha Legion: Exorcists (lol)

Good call. Now I know the perfect way to start collecting Alpha Legion! I'll walk up to Space Marine players and let them know some of their models were actually MY Alpha Legion models that infiltrated their army and I would like them back.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

TKIY posted:

I was in my local GW yesterday and they have 5 Stormclaw sets on the shelf. Worth grabbing and parting out a few? $150 CDN :/

On eBay, I've seen people flipping the whole box for $175 US and up.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Posting my Bullgryn from the painting thread

I like 'em! It looks like a trio of angry Sid Haigs.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Since Blood Angels don't get their unique psychic powers at the moment, how much resistance would I run into if I wanted to pay the Codex: Space Marine pts instead of the Codex: Blood Angels pts for a Librarian?

C:SM Librarian Lv2 with Jump Pack- 105
C:BA Librarian Lv2 with Jump Pack- 175

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SRM posted:

Why don't you just use allies, Unbound, or play Codex: Space Marines who happen to be red? I'm pretty easygoing but when things start getting cherrypicked from codices (even if it's just appropriately-priced Librarians vs. overpriced ones) I feel like it'll always tumble out of control.

Of those options, I'd go with Allies. I like the feeling of structure I get with using a Combined Arms detachment, and I'm a big fan of all the Blood Angels-specific stuff. I'm not too fond of The Red Thirst, which I consider that a "tax" for the unique units, but paying 35 extra points for a basic Librarian is ridiculous. That's a Drop Pod, or most of a Terminator.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Pacheeco posted:

Death Mask all the way.

Death Mask. Or a fancy helmet from a Death Company kit!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Rules question: Are there any rules that prevent a Riptide from being caught in a Sweeping Advance? Earlier tonight, my friend's Riptide had to fall back from an assault with Mephiston, and with Init 2 running from an Init 7 it isn't hard to guess the outcome.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Nope, Riptides can totally get run down in close combat and it's not an uncommon occurrence. They also can potentially fail morale checks outside of combat as well (if they get hit with Terrify, if you buy them the Drones, etc.)

Thank you, I was really hoping I didn't miss anything. Also, I'm quite glad with how much of a beast Mephiston is, even without an Invuln save.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Can't wait to hear the three blood angels players at my flgs complain that grey knights get an update before them.

Aww man, Grey Knights are getting updated before Blood Angels...

I wouldn't mind if Blood Angels got rolled into Codex: Space Marines, though. Just don't tell any other Blood Angels players or they might kick me out of the club.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

These are some nice Salamanders.
Every time I see how nice Forge World models look, I become thankful that I'm too broke to buy them.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I don't have a Tau codex, but can anyone tell me if Broadsides have access to missiles that don't require line of sight?

My friend keeps saying it's cool because they have "Ignore Cover", but I know that's not how that rule works. Just wondering if he's confusing it with another special rule they have.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Good stuff. I didn't think he was trying to cheat or anything, we're both learning the game and there are lots of rules to keep in mind.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Are they led by Chapter Master Pythagoras, by any chance?

My Space Marines hail from the Storm Blood chapter, led by Chapter Master Vlad Tempest. I'm not lying.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

"For the--- WHOOPS!" Then plasma and bolts just fire upward.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Would the Ork Warband Detachment be a good starting list for a new Ork player?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'll definitely buy it for those sweet Blood Angels Terminators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

If everyone could buy Citadel Miniatures (tm), then they wouldn't be a Premium Product of mystery and wonder.

• Locked thread