Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh it's new edition time already? I guess I better start looking at the silly things I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What can I use Valkyies for? I see some for cheap and don't know if I want them

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm interested in playing this again, how has CSM held up from 6th? I've got around 3 tac squads, some obliterators, bikers, a Heldrake, and various other dudes.

I've also got an Imperial Knight that is half painted, but I don't think they can ally.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Alright that sounds neat, I'll have to take a look at the IA13 book.

Man 30k sounds sweet though. But I don't think anyone here plays it and it seems from you guys 30k vs 40k ends poorly?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I would love to get Curze and use him since he's one of my favorite Primarchs, and Night Lords are cool by themselves. Such a huge investment though.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Armies. Always.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

It typically does, but usually for the 30K army. 30K struggles with a lot of important facets of the game- it's designed to have big hordes of infantry shooting and assaulting each other with some tanks and other units in the background. Consequently, a lot of the stuff that normally makes SM armies shine (ATSKNF, Drop Pods, Combat Squads, embedded special weapons, MSU units, high mobility via bikes/transports, etc) is just completely absent. All of these things leave the army vastly less flexible and efficient than a typical 40K army is, and even with the addition of various kooky special abilities and options it really doesn't make up the difference. A good 40K army will typically shred a 30K army into a fine red mist in relatively short order because the 30K army just lacks the right kinds of answers to a lot of stuff- it might have great guns or powerful units, but there are simply too many gaps in what it can do.

Feel free to take all of that as a challenge to win with them, though; they're certainly not unbearably bad, just noticeably below the mark compared to where a lot of the 5E/6E armies are sitting. Comparing them to the 7E books is less clear-cut, but I think it still might not go well.

God that just makes me want to 30k more as that's what I enjoy with this game.

e: Oh man Mechanicus models look awesome.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 5, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

30k sounds super cool, Mechanicus sounds super cool, my girlfriend is going to hate me and it's all your guy's fault.

e: Do I need both 30k books or just the relevant one?
e2: What's a decent selection of units that I can start an army with? I want to know the price point I'll be looking at and how long I'll be saving.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 6, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I want every Mechanicum model, help me. Mostly help my wallet. :shepspends:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

All of mankind's war machines are based on farm equipment

Just get the pack of 2 little red books, or if you wanna save money, just the crusade army list (cheaper than a 40K codex at $45)- one has the army list and unit options while the other has all the legion rules so far. The big books are amazing, but you need all 3 for a complete list. So unless you are gay for fluff spend that money on your army instead.

What you need to get started:
  • 1-2 HQs
  • 20-50 marines, no special weapons. Some of them can have jump packs if you really want.
  • 2-4 sergeants with power weapons
  • 1-3 apothecaries
  • 1-3 rhinos (if you plan to use them)
  • 1-3 drop pods (if you plan to use them)

All of that you can do with regular old 40k marines, conversions, or bits on ebay. If you go hog wild with forgeworld kits it will cost a lot more. I suggest you get the books, plan our your army, and then decide what you want to buy. There's a ton of options which will dictate what you need. For example, you could totally just rock 1 hq and 2 x5 man tactical squads. That's right, a legal army of 11 models.

What do those translate to in Mechanicum terms? Space robots sound super cool.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Awesome. I really like playing low model count armies too, they appeal to what Warhammer is about more to me (strong dudes smashing poo poo)

I will find a book and read over the crap before I place a FW order.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

They look pretty fuckin sweet.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I also bought a KR case for my CSM and it's pretty fuckin awesome. The backpack is a great way to carry like, everything you need.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Aww, I was about to offer to buy em to start my admech.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh wow FW has bundles for things that actually have a discount. How very unGW of them.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Looks like 3 predators, two rhinos, and a Land Raider

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Unless your opponent is the gooniest neckbeard ever (which I've had a few) no one is going to care. You do however need a copy of the latest rulebook and the Codex.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I guess my GW store is super chill since the manager wouldn't care, but I go to an independent store most of the time anyways.

Posigniat posted:

Thank you very much for the swift reply! One more quick question, due to the number of rules and special abilities, can I keep a visual marker of effects both positive and negative on the board, Warmachine style? If allowed do they frown on it if I do the same for my opponents pieces? I recently watched a YouTube battle report and the tiny group of Space Wolves had about eight special rules per unit and that's a lot of information for me to digest.

Again, depends on if the guy you are playing is a spergy neckbeard. Nothing is stopping you from having markers or a notebook to track poo poo.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Help me goons, I added the Cybernetica Battlegroup to my cart and tomorrow is payday. Someone tell me to not do this. I don't have any kids to deprive of juice so I can't come up with any cons.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The bundle is always over the free shipping limit though.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Bah, after shipping those Canada ones are $30 a pop. Plus they aren't up for buy it now :(

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I once got a bloodthirster that had release agent mixed in. Can't even hold primer no matter what I do. Least now I got two models for the price of one.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I will if I can win the bid but seeing it ends while I would still be driving home from work that seems unlikely

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What's a good way to represent Mars sand? Sand obviously, but how about the red color?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

:shepspends:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Darkfire Cannon sounds really....strong? Two shots of Str 7 AP 2 at 60 inches? Am I missing something?

e: and its a MC so it can move and shoot? Jesus.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 9, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So what's a good set up for Castellaxs? I want to field a few since they are awesome looking. Two Maulers, a Multi Melta, and a Darkfire to start with at 4 of them?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I liked 2x double flamers, and a 2x meltas.
With Objective Secured I'd want them punching and burning poo poo mid-field and up close even more, but I didn't play AdMech in 7th, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

2x Castellax, 4x flamers. 190 points.
2x Castellax, 4x flamers. 190 points.
2x Castellax, 2x multi melta. 170 points.

Makes a lot of armies cry.

Wait how does that work? It doesn't list being able to exchange the mauler for flamers, only the bolters.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ohh, I was pretty confused there with how he worded it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Foot claws, duh.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yes. PM me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

72 new posts, I wonder what happe......:catstare:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lol if your models aren't stuffed pigeons with guns.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yay, I won both of those Castellax's at $31 a piece.

e: Just got 2 more Castellax's and a unit of Thallaxs for $81. Love eBay sometimes.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 14, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Which angry tractor is the preferred farm equipment in the grim dark battlefields of the Mechanicum?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

With all the new Thallax kits, are any of those special weapons good or should I stick with regular old Thallaxes?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So on a scale of Star Citizen to Mechwarrior, where does it lie?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wish I had one of those FW shipping vouchers, all these emails are just taunting me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I thought it was only if you got one from ordering before Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My Mechanicum dudes arrive today! What's the best way to remove the release agent people have found?

• Locked thread