Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

jng2058 posted:

Swarms can score now. Everything can score now. Park a Basilisk on that Objective that you hid behind the hill and rack in the points at the end of the game. The only thing that can override that is that your Troops in a "Battle-Forged" (ie not Unbound) get the Objective Secured rule (formerly owned exclusively by Tyrannid Gargoyles) and get priority over non-Battle Forged Troops if multiple units are within 3" of an Objective.

Im suddenly really really sad they took out the Parasite of Mortrex. With the challenge changes I'm fairly certain he would have been hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

xtothez posted:

Haha, they fixed Aegis (it now lets you re-roll 1's for DtW) but left Shadow in the Warp as it is now.

But now broodlords can use Dominion and benefit from synaptic lynchpin if you take them as your warlord! Now if only that mattered.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Is it just me or did Sisters not even get an FAQ?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the digital stuff gets the FAQs baked in, so you have to redownload it. Sorry pirateailures.

Makes sense, friend of mine was like "what the poo poo, did I just not get an FAQ"

lets mix in some content, 30k is awesome and the angry tractors look like they will be a blast to build if they ever get here.
Still a WIP, but I wish I didnt have the painting ability of a 6 year old finger painter.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

The rest of the game I played against a friend of mine doesnt matter. His GK landraider crusader just rolled a 6 on the perils table after throwing all his dice to cast sanctuary (and it passed) thankfully that was his only unit left, a LR with a 2++ and fleshbane/armorbane, this is both dumb and hilarious.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 29, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Aren't they?

Well, you can ally in come the apocalypse now. So technically yes.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The power blades are honestly so I can only buy 2 models and not have to mix and match buying 4 Castellax; likewise 50 points of the Praetor is spent on Warsmith+Cortex. He's a big investment but the Castellax are a big part of the list so I think it's worth it.

You would probably get more bang for your buck with the targeting arrays, BS5 is no joke, the -1 to cover saves is handy too.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Huh so uh Drop Pod armies are a little crazy. Just had my rear end handed to me on Vassal by one. There's no you gotta put some poo poo on the board rule anymore?

First turn game ended, he just put all his drop pods on every single goddamn objective on the board. Dedicated transports get objective secured. That's some bullshit.

I thought drop pods had in their entry that they can never score or contest, which overrides Objective Secured.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Buddy of mine did this for me in between his IC's Hobby challenge so he wouldn't get too far ahead.

fully expecting it to get dunked by D weps in an Apoc game we are doing in a week, that 6++ is a band-aid.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

xtothez posted:

Take the transport upgrade and throw some Venomthropes inside. 5+ cover always, or 3+ if you can keep a leg standing in some ruins.

I was thinking about doing this, but with a tyranid prime attached to the venomthrope for a big rear end synapse bubble. I'm pretty sure it works.

panascope posted:

Checking out the Mechanicum list, I'm pretty positive I'm going to switch from a Legion army to a Mechanicum army. The models are baller as gently caress and Castellax are Monstrous Creatures that are troops choices!

That's because AdMech is awesome and the full list out of book 3 kicks rear end, also surprised how big the drat Krios tanks are. I just finished assembling a Venator and a regular one, its just a bit smaller than a land raider.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 31, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

With the new vehicle rules I'm thinking that spartan assault tanks are basically not killable from the front

Also take a look at the Achilles Alpha, -1 to the damage chart even before modifiers is just so gross.
E: Oh god I forgot its immune to melta and lance

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 3, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Saying, "he punched him to death" has fallen out of favor, but Orks are great because they do exactly this. Sometimes with guns. Or other Orks.

Its also the best saying. Like when a chaos lord with a powerfist and a terminator inquisitor with a hammer are the only guys left on the board.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

Hencoe (who should really post more) has two Heirodules, and I keep telling him to build up and out with the bases, and just run them as Knights. I think they are more effective for their cost, and it means he doesn't have to go "well, uh, can I bring 1200 points of Lords of War?"

That's because the heirophant is awesome :colbert:
Frankly they are already huge, I doubt it would be a big deal to run them as is, as a knight.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

30k chat: So I'm thinking about doing an Iron warrior allied detachment for my AdMech, what would be my best bet for the HQ? No real points value yet, just trying to get the general idea. So far I'm thinking some of the siege cataphractii with those cyclones, iron havoks, a squad of marines and maybe a fire raptor. Obviously I'll trim whatever is needed depending on how many points the game is.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If you're already playing Mechanicus, there's no real reason to bring a Warsmith (unless you're in love with Shatter Defenses, or something). Tyrant Siege terminators are good but do note that the 30k cyclone launchers can't be fired with their combi-bolters. Iron Havocs are good, Deadly Aim is a pretty useful rule. I want to like their Rite but it pushes you into such a narrow corner with the units you can take it doesn't seem to be worth it.

I planned on just shooting missiles anyways, since they are sworn brothers I can attach my archmagos to it right? Debating on the master of signal for the HQ, there is just so much cool poo poo, but not all of it meshes. Also forgot that fire raptors are heavy support and not fast attack so its looking like just iron havocs with a cyber occularis nearby to grant them the +1 bs from Djinn skein if needed.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Hollismason posted:

It just kind of dumb that Ghaz is a Lord of War now and so most people who play don't usually use Lords of War and most tournaments don't allow them because their loving broken.

Ghazghull is in the same category as a Daemon Lord ( Which I still don't know what the gently caress these guys do) and a Baneblade

He got ZERO increases in his abilities though. It's just a lovely thing to do.

Wait, so he is exactly the same, except takes a lord of war slot? That's utter loving garbage. Daemon lords are typically T8 with 3++s and a bunch of attacks, its gross.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I might be blind, but I'm flipping through the rulebook and I can't find where it says anything about Lords of War awarding extra VPs.
That was in Escalation, since LoW's are in the main rulebook/FoC I don't know if it still applies.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Is there anything preventing me from taking an Endless swarm and the Artillary node formation besides points? I have a really dumb idea for a local tourney.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you wouldn't be able to add on a CAD on top of that. If you can fill out your points go hog wild.
The local scene doesnt really care, most of the people are really chill. So the formation troops dont gain the CAD benefits correct? (objective secured etc) I've never run a formation before so Im clueless.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A detachment will only get the Command Benefits listed on it. The only Formation with ObSec is Skyblight, IIRC.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing out on anything, might as well toss it up for goons to pick apart.

Flyrant w/ brainleech worms
X10 termagaunts
X10 termagaunts
Trygon Prime
Scythed Heirodule

Endless swarm
X10 termagaunts
X10 termagaunts
X10 termagaunts
X10 hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs
X10 hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs
Warrior brood w/ venom cannon

Artillery node
X3 biovores
Exocrine
Warrior brood w/ venom cannon

Should total out to 1850 unless I'm bad at math.
Its also a dumb idea.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of super heavies…

I really like the look of the Falchion Tank Destroyer and am thinking of getting it or the Typhon Siege Tank to hunt titans/imperial knights down the road. Both have 12HP and no shields. The Typhoon has a 48” 7” blast that ignores cover at S10 AP1 and better armor. The Flachion has a 120” twin linked BS4 strength D weapon with a large blast.

For murdering knights and titans is one better than the other? I thought the volcano cannon ignored void shields, but apparently that rule doesn’t exist anymore :(

For reference, a war hound costs 750 points and usually packs x2 twin linked strength D weapons. The Flachion and Typhoon cost ~500 each.

For super heavy hunting go with the Falchion, stripping a single hull point on a 1-4 on the chart is just really slow, plus im guessing ordo reductor or dark mechanicus will end up with a GC hybrid monstrosity or two, D will do work. Speaking from personal experience since my heirophant got 1 shot bottom of turn 1 last weekend, dude rolled a 6 ontop of a 6 :negative:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Destroyer weapons deal various amounts of HP per hit (I thought Superheavies had a rule to ignore this but it seems not). 6s to wound with D weapons ignore all saves.

The Glaive is hilariously expensive and despite it's cool main weapon probably not worth the cost. You're paying over 600 points for a S8 AP2 weapon that isn't offering you any super heavy killing utility.

The Volkite Carronade is cool, and while its D3 hits on Super-Heavies its still kinda eh for that much, I'm praying for a Mechanicus unit with it though.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

So I guess I'm fighting Horus this weekend, I'm using a few proxied models so what actually exists isnt an issue, but im trying to keep to the models I have. 30k goons, what would you change?

HQ (305pts)
Magos Prime (305pts)
Abeyant (25pts), Archmagos Prime (35pts) (Relentless), Cortex Controller (15pts), Cyber-familiar (15pts), 2x Cyber-occularis (30pts), Djinn-skein (25pts), Graviton Imploder (25pts) Mastercraft a single weapon(5pts), Macrotek (20pts), Melta Bombs (5pts), Rad Grenades (10pts)

Troops (905pts)
Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (315pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (315pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)
Castellax (105pts)
Darkfire Cannon (20pts)

Thallax Cohort (275pts)
2x Phased-Plasma Fusil (20pts), 6x Thallax (240pts)

Elites (160pts)
Tech-Priest Auxillia (160pts)
5x Heavy Bolter (75pts), 5x Servo-automata (25pts)
Adept (35pts)
Battlesmith
Cortex Controller (15pts), Lacyraemarta (*)

Heavy Support (1130pts)
Krios Battle Tank Squadron (150pts)
Krios (150pts)
Upgrade to Krios Venator Tank Destroyer (25pts)

Myrmidon Destructors (500pts)
4x Myrmidon Destructor (140pts),4x Graviton Imploder (140pts), Triaros Armoured Conveyor (135pts)
Myrmidon Lord (35pts)
Graviton Imploder (35pts)

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple (480pts)
2x Thanatar (480pts)

Archmagos rides with the Destructors, float a cyber occularis near the thanatar and the other somewhere else (havnt decided yet)

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Just a heads up that AdMech list is missing a Troops, Castellax are non-compulsory.

Macrotek makes Auxillia troops, and with them able to take a cortex controller it was too conveniant not to take.

BULBASAUR posted:

Some random suggestions:

Bulbasaur: I was worried that I was taking too many darkfire cannons, but I like the idea of melta thallax, with the Venator I probably wont need more AT. Rad and melta bombs were solely because I was 15 points short and had no idea what else to take, but freeing 120 points of darkfire cannons means I have a lot of room. Occularis are for interceptor, Horus doesnt scatter so im expecting him to deep strike him, plus it can give the +1 bs from djinn skein via the skull. The 18" range on the grav imploders made me decide on the party bus, since horus and justerian are all 2+ and the worst I will be wounding is on a 3+ against the regular marines it seemed like a solid idea.
I have no lords of war for Admech. Unsure where to go with those spare points though, I'll also drop the abyent since hes going with the destructors anyways.
E: Decided on another castellax splitting them into units of 3, 2, and 2. Think destructor is worth the time on the thallax?

Current Iteration:
HQ (265pts)
Magos Prime (265pts)
Archmagos Prime (35pts) (Relentless), Cortex Controller (15pts), Cyber-familiar (15pts), 2x Cyber-occularis (30pts) Djinn-skein (25pts), Graviton Imploder (25pts), Macrotek (20pts), Mastercraft a single weapon (5pts)

Troops (945pts)
Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (255pts)
Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts)

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (170pts)
Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts)

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (170pts)
Castellax (85pts), Castellax (85pts)

Thallax Cohort (175pts)
Destructor (25pts) (*), Multi-melta (15pts), 3x Thallax (120pts)

Thallax Cohort (175pts)
Destructor (25pts) (*), Multi-melta (15pts), 3x Thallax (120pts)

Elites (160pts)
Tech-Priest Auxillia (160pts)
5x Heavy Bolter (75pts), 5x Servo-automata (25pts)
Adept (35pts)
Battlesmith
Cortex Controller (15pts), Lacyraemarta (*)

Heavy Support (1130pts)
Krios Battle Tank Squadron (150pts)
Krios (150pts)
Upgrade to Krios Venator Tank Destroyer (25pts)

Myrmidon Destructors (500pts)
4x Myrmidon Destructor (140pts),4x Graviton Imploder (140pts), Triaros Armoured Conveyor (135pts)
Myrmidon Lord (35pts)
Graviton Imploder (35pts)

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple (480pts)
2x Thanatar (480pts)

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 12, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

So is there any indication what else they have in IA:4 2.0 for nids other than the new MC? Changes to the existing bio-titans?

vvvv Day 1 preorder.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Just finished my first actually painted tyranids

Not a good painter by any standards but I'm proud to actually get paint to plastic.

It's for a goofy escalation tourney starting at 500. Swarmlord, 2x 13 Termagaunts, and 2 Hive guard should be worth a few laughs.

vvvvv Painting in a garage, proper AC is uncommon in Alaska and its been a hot summer, hence the box fans.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 16, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

These look great! Are you going to base them?

Thanks! The Flyrant has what I'm probably going to do for basing, just a desert sand style deal. Dunno if im going to augment that with anything, maybe like a dead bare shrub or something on the bigger bases. I'm open for ideas.

I want to like it, but it looks so much more spindly than the initial previews like they couldnt figure out how to give it a leaping pose and just extended the legs to touch the ground.

Although that straight up looks like a giant chest-maw, which is kinda metal.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Watch us talk poo poo, and this just be an unflattering angle on a model with good, enjoyable rules.

E: Just realized those legs look like they are from the older hive tyrant model with the big rear end head.
With that chest-maw and a giant tongue in it, why would it ever need to bend down. It's the best part so far.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 16, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I've seen things you wouldn't believe, grown men weeping over the loss of Eldrad , fist fights over template placement, all these things will be lost in time.. like Marbo in a 6th edition Codex.

They will take some time, because sometimes something rises from the swamp of the past to horrify the present.... Trust me

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Is it just me or does that look like its in between a riptide and a wraithknight in height?
E: That looks like an oval base and riptides are only about as tall as their base. That hood could really be shaved down, its just excessive.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 16, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I think that FW Tyranid would look okay if you can model it without its umbrella.

Depending on how the rest looks it wouldn't be so bad if you shave down the hood to like, hive guard levels, near the rear-mid of the head, and adjust the wrists so it doesn't look like its trying to swim.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I guess there are some new shots on the Dimachaeron. Its apparently a MC.

It looks a bit better. That cowl still looks way too long.
E:More

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I6, 7 attacks on the charge +rampage, and nid melee swings still stack yes? i.e bonesword rending claws for rending ID. It hits as S8 when charging
If it ever gets there its going to gently caress something up.
Use a lot of LoS terrain :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Anything on the rest of the nids in the book yet? Malanthrope, stonecrushers, or the GC's?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

xtothez posted:

From the guy posting the Dimahchaeron stuff on the Tyranid Hive board:

Now this looks promising :) A synapse Venomthrope on steroids...

How convenient, I just got a cheap rear end one on ebay!

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

xtothez posted:

So 150pts will get D3 S10 Armourbane HoW attacks, followed by four S10 AP1 attacks that re-roll pens. Interesting. I wonder if they can be used with the Wrecker Node formation for the extra HoW attack...

How is it 4 when they have 2 attacks base? (One less than a carnifex's base attacks of 3 if "The Stonecrusher: 30pts more than a standard 'Fex, +1S, -1A, no other stat changes."
is true)
VVVVVV The wrecker claws and flails take up two arm slots, it only looks like they might count as a single set of weps like lashwhip & bonesword

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 20, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Lungboy posted:

They have been leaked from the 2nd edition of IA4, which is out soon.
It's out now, ordered my copy this morning.

E: if it gets an effect in challenges, what if that means its a character, or even an IC?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 21, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

By the way - if you have questions about it - let me know.

How do you get them so fast, mine is still awaiting packaging.
Real question, has there been any changes to the TGCs?
E: Tell us EVERYTHING!

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 23, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

I get a copy to cover on my show.

This makes too much sense.
So the stuff we have heard about the bugs in the book have been true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

xtothez posted:

Just look at these guys.

Not only are Malanthropes ~super-awesome~ but they also let you get Preferred Enemy without spending a trillion points on a lovely Swarmlord.

Hell, even the SCCs are cool enough to want to take, the only possible complaint is no option for adrenal glands. So not that much really, that flail is hilarious.

• Locked thread