Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercloud posted:

They have scrapyard, damaged urban and rolling hills. Scrapyard has the most individual tiles, but I would like to do cityfight.

I have a couple sets from the kickstarter they did. The damaged and whole urban sets are pretty nice, and make a cityfight terrain a breeze. The streets are big enough for 2 rhinos to pass each other comfortably. The details are nice, but plain enough that you can easily fit buildings on the building parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am peeved that the bone sword on the hive tyrant isn't better, and/or doesn't synergize with the scything talons in any way. The Bonerwhip is kind of lame too. If you want CC you are better off with twin-scything, which is also a ton cheaper.

That and the flyrants go to weapon is now the deathspitter. 12 points for +1S/-1AP shots is a no brainer.

Old One Eye is legit. 5 attacks rerolling 1s, hitting on 2+, with the berzerk rule means he should have problem getting out 8-9 hits.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm kinda confused, if you take the deathspitter or devourer for the flyrant, it says you get 2 of them, and the stats listed are for one. So do you get twice the shots or no?

In that case if you swap both your scything talons for 2 pairs of deathspitters or devourers do you get 4 times the shots?

GW did you even proofread this poo poo?

Yeah, it is written oddly. Though you swap one (or both) scything talons for 2 deathspitter/devourer, paying double (or 4 times) the cost. This will let you shoot at 4 different targets if you want... though you probably wouldn't want to unless you are fishing for moral tests.

Again, it is odd that double scything is so much better than scything/bonesword for about 20 points cheaper. It is worth it on warriors, but a massive sink on the Tyrant. Plus bonerwhips being fairly lovely unless you want to shove warriors into a nurgle lord or anything else with a Damage 3 weapon.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

Running the spearhead detachment, you can run a list with Old One Eye, and 18 carnifexes. It is battle forged and totally legal.

Granted, those fexes are all decked out with Double Talons and Bone Maces.

Old one eye is sooo good if you can get him in combat. Though there is never a need to use his tail weapon.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

I haven't tried PP and while I agree it seems it might be better for a quick pick up and play game, a lot of that time is because points are cumbersomely dictated to the player right now. When an app hits, official or otherwise, it shouldn't take near the same time.

Step 1: Make points as confusing and painful as possible
Step 2: Get rid of points, have community glad to get rid of it instead of fixing it
Step 3: Get the community to stop complaining about imbalance through self regulation and whinging

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

I want to take a bunch of old-school screamer-killers which come out to 103 each, not counting possible adrenal glands or toxin sacs. I'm sticking to Matched.

So excited about carnifexes. :pcgaming:

Unless my math is wrong, the only issue with the Carnifex is that the crushing claw is pretty useless since you have roughly the same results with the double scything (plus it is cheaper). With scything you wound most heavy vehicles on a 5+, with crushing claws you hit on a 5+. So the edge goes to the scything because of the extra attack and reroll.
Might be worth it if you had old one eye, but he buffs the scything in the exact same way as the claws.

EDIT: Nope, you literally get .1 more wounds with the claws on T7+ with old one eye. Without him, or anything under T7, claws are worse for more points. Classic GW!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 4, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

Cult Ambush should definitely cost points. Purestrains should certainly cost more.

But 6 points is too much.

I've been so happy about Tyranids being so much better, that it's dulled my disappointment over how terrible Genestealer Cult has become. Acolytes and Metamorphs saw a huge increase in price, while losing a lot of attacks. They just seem bad now.

At least Acolytes have better power fists? But yeah, not being able to gain both rending + the benefit of the weapon make metamorphs sad. Aberrants are better though.

I like the tyranids as a whole, but I still think some units are weaker. Biovores basically doing 1 wound and going to heavy weapons, Mawloc having no rending in close combat despite wanting to deepstrike right next to heavy armor, Sporocycst not actually being able to make spore mines... maybe I'm undervaluing mortal wounds, but biovores are basically the new old zoanthropes with so many ways of failing to do a single mortal wound.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Random list:

1 Tyrant w/ 4 crazy deathpitters = 184
1 Prime w/ boners = 104
1 One Eye = 140

2 Tyrant Guard = 74
4 Zoanthropes = 160
3 Hive Guard w/ Impaler = 144

25 Hormies = 125
25 Hormies = 125
5 Warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 venom cannon = 125

2 Carnifex = 188

1 Tyrannocyte w/ 5 Deathspitters = 130

Should fit in one detachment, 1499 points

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I have been wondering what the value of hormagaunts are over termagants in this new edition. Seems like you are paying +1 point per model for 2" of speed a turn and +1 str 3 attack in the combat phase and losing a str 4 attack in the shooting phase. Seems like a kind of bad trade, especially since you can add a couple of devourers in there. Maybe I am missing something important but it seems like the little gaunts are going to be there to bubble wrap important stuff so they don't get smited/charged. Unless you really need the extra 2" to keep up I don't see why you pick them over termagants unless you just like the model more. As someone who has 90 painted hormagaunts and thinks a horde of hormagaunts is the coolest thing in the nids army this makes me sad.

Yeah, they can keep up with the tyrant before he passes them off to the zoanthropes, and they are able to tie up a bunch of models. Plus it is how I played a couple editions ago: 2 chunky units of hormies and a warrior unit where my base of operations. I don't expect them to do much but prevent other CC units from getting into my shooting units, since Hive Tyrants are garbage in CC unless you give them specific weapons (which is a weird thing, though garbage might be a bit much).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Apparently they forgot to give Celestine the "Unique" keyword

GW: Oh no, don't buy 6 boxes don't do it no.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goose willis posted:

My Tyranid friend (who doesn't post here) has the following questions about Tyranids in 8th edition:

- Are the venom cannon and/or heavy venom cannon useless?
- What is the best warrior layout, shooting-focused or melee-focused or all-purpose or what?
- Is an army based off warriors (with a Tyranid prime) and carnifexes (with Old One Eye) viable?

He hates genestealers with a passion and refuses to use them or anything involving them. Strongly dislikes gaunts of any variety. Also, he doesn't like to use the really giant monsters, like anything bigger than a carnifex. He might bend on a hive tyrant, but he really, really likes warriors the most and wants a Tyranid prime HQ. Would consider using flying units. Loves ripper swarms.

Venom cannon over barbed strangler for days. Hitting at S8 is pretty good in general.
I rate the stranglethorn over the heavy venom cannon, the difference in strength isn't as great and you will melt guys.

Old one eye is good and makes carnifex scary, warriors are decent since no insta-kill and armor 4+ isn't as bad. A shootie unit of 6 warriors with 2 venom cannons and deathspitters near a tyranid prime is decent enough against light vehicles while still dealing a decent melee punch.
With the way that tyranid weapons now work, being mixed is best. Though who knows when the actual codex comes out for them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pendent posted:

It looks legitimately very difficult for something like Space Marines to deal with the numbers of models those armies can put out now. I wouldn't be all surprised if the new meta ends up being pretty horde driven which would be pretty amazing, let's be honest.

I would say vets with combi-flamers in a pod, but they can't even take advantage of their flamers when they land... and they are a bit expensive to basically sit for a turn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sleepyjacked posted:

Maybe some of you fine folks can work this out for me.
Say I wanted to summon some Daemons to use mid-battle. I would have to had already paid for the unit in full, correct? Through Reinforcement Points I believe?
So am I overlooking something or does this make summoning Daemons just a much more ineffective form of deepstrike?
Deepstrike has become so streamlined, with no rolls required, but now to bring in Daemons I have to pass a summoning roll AND have to place them within a distance of the summoner?
...or did I miss something?

Summoning is for bad people who like the crazy versions of the game. Otherwise with points or power level you are almost better off taking them normal. Though I guess 2 summon heavy armies could agree to more points set to the side for units? Dunno.

At least with the tervigon you have the option of summoning gaunts or bring 10 dead gaunts back alive.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

Do trygon primes get 9 attacks by the way?

It says "if the bearer has more than one pair of scything talons it can make one additional attack with this weapon each time it fights"

Since it has 3 sets, he argued it would have 3 copies of that rule and so could make 3 additional attacks. Same with his carnifexes, getting 2 extra attacks for having 2 pairs instead of just 1 extra attack.

Lightning claws instead of saying "with this weapon" says "with them" which definitely seems to indicate a total of 1 extra attack.

Depends on how you define "this weapon".

Distraction mawloc is okay, but distraction haruspex is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Close combat and morale are how to do antihorde.

That, or glue the guns end to end. I've seen both. I like end to end better as it looks more like the resin version,but you're playing Necrons so no one knows what your guns do anyway.

Okay, I need you to sit down. You okay? Good.

So.... about synapse...

• Locked thread