Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from my local GW and they easily had a hundred preorders packed and stacked on the tables.

I think they'll still do fairly well with the new edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So shouldn't GW have army book updates and FAQs ready to go for launch day? Am I wrong in thinking this?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

Well, I ended up buying this dumb book while I was out to lunch. I've already planned to play a few 7th edition games tonight and one tomorrow, so I figured I should probably read some of the rules ahead of time.

If nothing else, this rules book is well organized.

I don't have it yet but everything I've read leads me to believe that it's not a bad edition, it's just too iterative to demand a new book.

The book itself is more clearly worded, cleans up some nagging inconsistencies, nerfs a few abusive combinations, and introduces the psychic phase (jury is out) and tactical objectives (everyone seems to love).

It *could* be worse.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
One of my buddies plays BA, and that army list reminded me of a question that he came up with.

So with Death Company, even in a Battle Forged list they can't score given the special rule in the codex. However, since their Rhino counts as a troop, are they a non-scoring unit riding in a scoring transport? A drop-podding DC Dread has the same issue.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So JotWW just doesn't exist now?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

That's not really true in Fantasy anymore anyway. 12 dice cap and now that all the old magic powerhouse books are updated (Lizards, DE, etc) there's very few ways to get many extra dice. One of our best WoC players has stopped using a L4 and goes with 2 L2's for example, and it's been really good.

Yup, six-dicing a sixth spell can still turn a game but it's still way better than the seventh edition thirty dice vampire list.

Fantasy is in such better shape than 40k right now it's ridiculous.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dagon posted:

Hide magnets in the walls of your ruins and in your tanks, drive up the sides of walls :getin:

I'll pay real* dollars to see this.

*Canadian

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So with the new vehicle and scoring rules, a squad of Iron Hands assault terminators with a captain in a battle forged list looks like it might actually be a good choice. Hard to shift if they get onto an objective early and both can score.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So no discounted launch bundle for the Orcs? I don't think the big one that went up today is reduced at all...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

And different Demons have different capabilities, too. Use right right demon for the right enemy, that's using your head(s)!

:aaaaa:

Next thing you'll be telling me to use Skyfire on flyers and that's just silly.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Monoliths posted:

This kind of poo poo is RUINING the tournament scene. A recent mathhammer rear end in a top hat I played fired a krak missile at my chimera, so YOU BET I cussed him in front of his 4-year-old. Kid's gonna grow up just like his cheating neckbeard dad unless champs like me have a say.

Yeah some guy used something called a Battle Cannon to shoot my Tyranid Warriors. No big deal, right? So then he says something about 'Instant Death' which is just obviously made up.

I took his whole army out the parking lot and ran over them with my car a few times. Dude apologized right there. So I tipped my fedora and sheathed my Katana (it's a real Hanzo Hattori) and left with my hot girlfriend.

I hope I didn't ruin the tires on my Bentley.

edit: Actual content -

Played my first game of Apoc yesterday. 9 hours, lots of fun, and much Biomass was devoured:

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 1, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Just curious what your favorite Nids A-T is? Units, weapons, tactics? I'm still learning how to use my bugs so anything will help.

I'm having decent luck with a pair of Exocrines. 12 S7 shots is going to get a few glances on anything AV13 or under.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fat Turkey posted:

I have never played Warhammer but have a passing interest in trying. Someone I know mentioned letting Island of Blood go for pretty cheap, would this be a good set to start with? I essentially want to are if its the kind of thing I could get into.

Wrong thread but island of blood is heavily weighted towards the elves. It's a good set to learn the game but don't expect it to be fair.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any chance that you will be able to make a Dread Mob in the new codex, or can you still use the FW rules with the new codex?

Basically, I'd like an all walker Ork army including Kanz, Dreds, *orkonauts and a Stompa :D

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Isn't this exactly why Unbound exists?

But if I play an Unbound list then I'll feel all dirty, like GW touched me where my bathing suit covers.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone taken a crack at some escalation league rules for 7th edition yet? My group is looking at starting one this fall and I'll run it but I'd like to see what others have come up with for dealing with the introduction of things like unbound lists, demon summoning spam and Lords of War.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moon Moon.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Since there's a bit of talk about the Tyranid dataslates:
is Skyblight really the *only* 'competitive' formation?

I think the Living Artillery Node is decent, and I think you could make the Manufactorum Genestealers work in a competitive list.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

And I have to figure out how to deploy & position Exocrines correctly...they have the same range as Vindicators but since I've never used one I'm not familiar with them.

Exocrines are really great if you can deal with the range limitation. In my last (apocalypse) game, two of them completely wiped a unit of ten Deepstriking Termies + Chapter Master and then glanced down a Stormraven. They accounted for something like 900pts off the table in two turns of shooting.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Start them forward and in cover within 6" of your Venomthrope(s) for a 2-3+ cover save (depending on Ruins or lesser terrain). Aside from cover, the Exocrine's surviveability comes down to target priority. A smart player is going to have to focus you down and generally Exocrines still don't make the top of the shitlist (though in my opinion they should). I've had multiple games where not a single shot was fired at them before they spewed 3-4 AP2 wounds onto Terminators and other high armor targets. You can potentially boost their range with Onslaught if you're fielding a decent number of Psykers.

Yup, most people are going to focus on the things charging towards them so your Exocrines are pretty safe with a decent cover save. T6 helps too.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have details on the Ghazkull code formations? I thought I read that there was an update to the dread mob in it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Can't argue with the price, it's a heavy discount.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There is a new special character Imperial Knight in the next WD. Can run and shoot and gets a 3++ Shield for 500pts...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just looking for an opinion here. I'm kicking off a 7th edition Escalation campaign for a group of beerhammer players. We have a 'no dick lists' policy in place but our guard player has submitted two lists for the 750pt kickoff.

List #1 is Pask in a Punisher + Executioner sidekick with 2 x Meltavets in Chimeras.

List #2 is 2 x Meltavets in Chimeras, a blob and a pair of Wyverns.

Does either of these seem a little gamey or am I needlessly overrating 2 Russes or 2 Wyverns at 750pts?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

:staredog:

Oh boy. That reminds me of our ETC player's feeble attempt at getting into our low-power campaign.

How low-poer are we talking?

I'm running Genestealers.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Von Humboldt posted:

Don't - they're not that bad. Hell, I think they're talked-up to be more potent than they are a lot of the time. It's just that at 750, they're more than capable of chewing up and spitting out a lot of light units. They're really a kick in the dick to anyone playing an army with light armor saves - imagine you are running Orks or Nids, and your opponent sets those down. At high points values, you have redundancy or your own methods of handling them. They hurt, but you just keep on trucking. If you're going high power at 750, you send over a Flying Hive Tyrant with Brainleech Worms or a Carnifex brood.

At low points values, and lower power levels, you have fewer options and fewer extra mobs. You're in for a rough time.
The problem is, like I say above, this is lower points values and lower levels. 2 Chimeras filled with 3 Meltaguns isn't unfair in a more powered up game, or at higher points values. But if this guy is running double Melta Vets, and his opponent wanders in going "ah, I'll just bring my single Leman Russ/Predator/Whatever," those Melta Vets will handle it pretty easily. Same deal with blobs - they're perfectly legit normally, and I wouldn't call them unfair. But if your opponent is setting down Genestealers, and you set down your blob and go "alright, I'll order my 4 Autocannons and all my Lasguns to have Ignores Cover," it's not really a good time for your opponent.

Once again, I don't think the units are overpowered normally - it's that at lower points costs, and especially when people agree to a lower power level, that's it's wrong. It's not even that I would want to ban them - just tell the dude to replace the Wvyerns with a Hellhound and the like, so the other players can have a better time and he still gets to roast infantry by the handful.

Sorry if I came off as awfully aggro. I play a lot of low points Warhammer, since it's a good way to squeeze in a game when you don't have enough time for a full round, and I've done both high and low power games, depending on what my opponent felt like. But I've seen that mismatch in power, and it's gross - some poor bastard with a bunch of random Guardsmen and one tank versus me and my more optimized IG at 750 ended with a complete wipe on his side and me losing about ten dudes and a Chimera.

We have both Nids (myself) and Ork players in this league, along with Eldar, DE, Necrons and Black Templars so it's safe to assume that the Wyverns seem more than a bit cheesy at 750pts with pretty much everyone rocking 4+ armour at the very best and the one guy with 3+ takign an assault-focused army. No flyers at 750pts either, but we can take them at 1,000.

My list for comparison:

HQ
Hive Tyrant (195pts)
Psyker (Mastery Level 2), Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature
2x Scything Talons, Regeneration

Troops
Genestealer Brood (140pts)
10x Genestealer
Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover
Rending Claws

Tyranid Warrior Brood (110pts)
Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature
2 x Deathspitter and Scything Talons
1 x Barbed Strangler and Scything Talons

Heavy Support
Carnifex (135pts)
Fearless, Instinctive Behaviour - Feed, Living Battering Ram
Adrenal Glands, 2x Scything Talons

Exocrine (170pts)
Fearless, Instinctive Behaviour - Hunt, Symbiotic Targeting
Bio-Plasmic Cannon, Scything Talons

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So sell all Venomthropes, buy three Malanthropes.

Got it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looks great! I still have to decide on a colour scheme for my Nids but the escalation league I am in starting September has points for painting so I better hurry up.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was in my local GW yesterday and they have 5 Stormclaw sets on the shelf. Worth grabbing and parting out a few? $150 CDN :/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

It's a fantastic deal and unless you really muck it up you can make good money parting it out, especially with the mini-rulebooks.

Once the new DV hits those rulebooks won't be as valuable, that's my only concern.

My 8 year old daughter was in the store with me though and kept asking me about Orks. She seems to like Killa Kans alot...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

haakman posted:

What are the odds of more copies of Stormclaw being made available? Sold out on the webstore and I fear it might be gone in my local store...

I can get goons one for retail if they pay shipping. Might not be worth it, but I can offer the service anyhow.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

haakman posted:

Awesome. Where are you based?

Canada so shipping is a bit awful.

edit: Which army are you interested in? I might consider splitting two if I can find someone to split with.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 25, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I sold a computer to two-time world curling champion Ed 'The Wrench' Werenich.

That's like Canadian royalty right there, eh?

edit: Actual 40k stuff...

Played two quick games at 750pts last night just to get a handle on 7th and my Nids were stomped twice. I'm thinking about try the Manufactorum Genestealer formation because I am a glutton for punishment. Has anyone played with them yet?

TKIY fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 25, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

drat, Malanthropes are awesome. I should start running them.

Oh, they're $80 each.

I'm thinking you could make a convincing proxy from a Trygon. I have one partially built and two on the sprues. Might keep one to make into a Mawloc and convert the others to Malanthropes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

What list did you run at 750pts?

Nothing overwhelming since it's just a 'getting used to' 7th edition game.

Tyrant
2 x TLBL Devs, Regen

Warrior Brood
2 x Deathspitters, 1 x Barbed Strangler

7 Genestealers

Carnifex
2 x STal, Adrenal Glands

Exocrine

I'm not worried that I lost, but there is an escalation league coming up that starts at 750pts so I need to work on a good list. No flyers allowed at 750pts either which is why my Tyrant was walking.

The Carnifex was hilariously inept. In the first game he was rolled by a pack of seven Scarab bases (he did kill 5 of them at least), in the second he was one-shotted by a BA Librarians Psychic Scream.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any Canadians or US goons looking to split a pair of Stormclaw boxes let me know. I should be able get two tomorrow and I'm looking at keeping the Space Wolves so I should have two orc halves with a rulebook and one Dragongaze spare.

Alternately if anyone wants a full box let me know.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I went Iron Hands to make a Dread-heavy list. I am starting to regret that.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Nids in an escalation league kicking off next month. It's starting at 750pts, Battleforged lists only, with no flyers allowed (they come in at 1,000pts). Whatever I build into my list needs to be used for the rest of the campaign.

I was going to run:

Tyrant w/ 2x BLDevs
3 x Hive Guard
3 x Warriors w/ Deathspitters and Barbed Strangler
5 x Genestealers
Exocrine
Biovore

This is pretty shooty should do okay-ish, right?

Having said that, I'm toying with going for a full assault MC army. It might be pointless but it should be hard to stop:

Swarmlord
5 x Genestealers
5 x Genestealers
Malanthrope
Carnifex w/ 2x ST
Carnifex w/ 2x ST

I would probably expand this with the goal of getting the Manufactorum Genestealers formation and the Subterranean Swarm one as well.

Just how stupid is going all assault?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
In our league you can upgrade so wings on the tyrant is no trouble later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

I'm playing Nids in an escalation league kicking off next month. It's starting at 750pts, Battleforged lists only, with no flyers allowed (they come in at 1,000pts). Whatever I build into my list needs to be used for the rest of the campaign.

I was going to run:

Tyrant w/ 2x BLDevs
3 x Hive Guard
3 x Warriors w/ Deathspitters and Barbed Strangler
5 x Genestealers
Exocrine
Biovore

This is pretty shooty should do okay-ish, right?

Having said that, I'm toying with going for a full assault MC army. It might be pointless but it should be hard to stop:

Swarmlord
5 x Genestealers
5 x Genestealers
Malanthrope
Carnifex w/ 2x ST
Carnifex w/ 2x ST

I would probably expand this with the goal of getting the Manufactorum Genestealers formation and the Subterranean Swarm one as well.

Just how stupid is going all assault?

Ran these lists in a pair of warmup games last night.

The Assault list actually did okay, but I was playing Blood Angels. Wrecked a drop podding Furioso after it munched my Stealers, managed to catch a Razorback and wipe some Death Company with the Swarmlord but then lost the Malathrope and Fexes to some lucky Assault Cannon shots and a Psychic Shriek (dear jeebus do I hate psychic shriek). Lost 7-4 on VPs but it was close until that one turn.

The Shooty list was nearly tabled in turn two by IG with a Inquisitor throwing Prescience on 3 Lascannon teams, and an Executioner tank commander getting Monster Hunter.

Back to the drawing board...

• Locked thread