Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm a pretty old SW player, if you want I can do a proper writeup for the OP. A writeup befitting space vikings :colbert:

Correctly anatomically modeled, brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Can someone else confirm/deny this Drop Pod strategy? Our local groups rules lawyer is disputing adamantiumwang's interpretation.

Under the Sudden Death Victory section:

quote:

If at the end of any game turn, one player has no models on the battlefield his opponent automatically wins. Units occupying a building or embarked on a vehicle still count as being on the battlefield, but units that are in Reserve (including Ongoing Reserve) do not.

There's no exception made for all-Reserves armies as there may have been in prior editions, and since by definition they can't come in until the second game turn, Drop Pod army loses. Unless I'm missing something here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Half of the drop pods drop on turn one, so that's not an issue.

Ah, for some reason I misread Hollis' post and thought the first turn had ended and THEN the opponent put them down. Yeah, that's a fair 'n' square victory, albeit a douchey one.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

So we played a game of 6th today (actually my first match in something like 12 years) and as we went over a misunderstanding my opponent had with Night Fighting (he'd been playing it that if Night Fighting was active the first turn, it was active the entire game), we noticed a little heretofore unnoticed change in Night Fighting for 7th. You no longer roll during the game for it - it's first turn or nothing. Not a super huge difference but it seems like a pretty big pain in the rear end has been removed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dumb question time, this time about Transports and the effects of damage on passengers:

If a Transport is hit multiple times in a phase and receives multiple results on the damage chart (for example, Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned) do the passengers have to make multiple Ld tests, or just one? Likewise, if a Transport is Wrecked or Explodes and also receives one of the lesser results, is the unit also affected by the lesser results or does the higher result trump the lesser ones?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Excellent, that's all as we thought. Thank you.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I don't care if they make new models although I would probably ally them in if they did, I just want to be able to find the transfer sheets again.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sadly all the transfers I want would be in white so printing wouldn't be an option. Although, I seem to recall some goon in the last thread trying the fleur-de-lis from here but there was no word on whether or not they worked out. Anyone have any experience with them?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Space Barbies Mystery Murderhouse Playdate Report: had my second match in something like twelve years tonight. Space Marines vs Orks, 6th Edition game of Big Guns Never Tire. It was a bloodbath on both sides but eventually the tactical genius of "get the gently caress on the objective and stay there" laid out in the Codex Astartes won out for me in the end. Slowly trying to talk my friend into playing with 7th rules but we may have to wait until his Codex comes out.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

UberJumper posted:

How do you guys setup terrain in a fair way?

We usually put down what we think looks cool in an arrangement that fucks us both mutually.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Like a plasma Dalek.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Anyone have any advice on painting battle damage (the link in the Mini painting thread isn't too hot)? I found an old Chaos Rhino that's seen better days, which I then de-converted to be an Imperial Rhino. In the process I decided to try to mask the places where the chains and skulls and whatnot didn't come off neatly by modeling heavy battle damage. I think the actual damage itself works fine, but I've hit the damaged areas with some Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil and I'm not sure where to go past that. Maybe highlight the areas with Runefang Steel?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, with a purple that dark you want a bright autumn color to complement it. Maybe a bright red, orange or yellow.

Alternatively, what about teal?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone who was looking to get the Ork trikes or counts-as Thunderfire cannons from Mantic, they're having a 30% off sale on the webstore for the next hour with the code SHOCK30. Three thunderfire cannons or bikes for £14 is some deal.

Aaand there's the boot in the rear end I needed to order one of the cannons. Now to get a Techmarine. Thanks!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dumb question that I think I'm right about: you cannot upgrade the Techmarine Gunner that comes with the Thunderfire Cannon, correct?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Good, good, that's what I thought, thank you. Now to just hunt down the Techmarine gunner bits from the Land Raider box so I can kitbash together a (mostly) plastic TM.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

drat, if that basing kit is a start of a line and it's not ridiculously expensive I might pick up a variety.

26 pounds for 20 regular bases and 5 termi bases.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My order from Mantic just arrived with the not-Thunderfires. Ordered one, received three. Guess it's time to rain down hell on some Orks :getin:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If anyone wants the three dwarf dudes from these Hailstorm cannons to convert into Squats, PM me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Wait so it's not okay for me to paint my Necrons pride colors and call when Fagocrons?

Only if the Space Wolf players get to wear their tails while playing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All this talk of assault cannons makes me hungry for some in my army. What's the ideal Space Marine unit/model for maximum rear end cannon utility? I'd assume it would be the Razorback, but I'd generally prefer to be able to transport larger squads than that, so I was thinking Stormtalon.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I suddenly have a burning need to rig up a Land Raider to play "X Gonna Give It to Ya" when the hatch opens and the Assault Terminators file out...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The chapter symbol on those DA successors looks familiar. Is it essentially the eye from the middle of an Elder Sign or am I thinking of something else?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Tried a match over the weekend against the new Space Wolves, and with the "secret random objectives" mission. I'd never fought against any sort of army with Thunderwolves before so I was pretty impressed by them, and the secret missions were less of an pain in the rear end than I thought they might be. Made for a kind of incongruous moment when one of the SW objectives asked me to name one of my characters but didn't tell me why... I mean, it's not like the objective was to deliver him a pizza.

All in all in the end it was still a Marines v Marines match which meant a lot of ineffective bolter fire and tarpitting. I need to do something to break that up a little since most of the armies around here are some form of Marines.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

How many combi-meltas come in the Chaos Termjnator box? How many power axes?

Sprue pics that I can find show one combi-melta and two power axes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Direwolf posted:

Does anyone have any advice for space marine bikes staying on their bases? Half of my Ravenwing don't seem to like staying on. I've considered pinning but I feel like they should just be able to stay on and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

What are you using for a base? Is it just the normal plastic base, or have you added anything on to it like cork? If it's just the normal plastic, I gave up on anything fancy or clever and used plastic cement on the bottoms of the tires, then did the rest of my basing around the bike.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm looking into cobbling together a conversion beamer for a Master of the Forge. So far I know I want to use a GK Psilencer as the base and I'm thinking of a Tau barrel, but I just don't know what I could use to make a good cone-like tip that would fit on the end of a fusion cannon. Any suggestions?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh man, I had initially dismissed DE pieces as being too thin but that looks pretty good if I can scrape off the extraneous spikes. I had hoped for something a little more rounded but gently caress it, clunky 4 lyfe.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BuffaloChicken posted:

Anybody have GREY KNIGHT TERMINATOR BITSthey're willing to part with?

I have a very small handful of RT era GK bits. I also have some Forgefather dudes from Mantic that came with my wannabe Thunderfires if you want them. PM me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Got a couple more questions:
Have I screwed myself over by assembling this drop pod before priming it?

It's gonna be a pain in the rear end - the usual opinion that I've heard is to paint it in pieces and then assemble it. But as Cataphract says, it's not insurmountable.

quote:

What's a good weapon setup for a SM tactical squad captain, preferably including a chainsword?
Until they revise the rules for chainswords, there's no point in having one - thought I suspect you may be asking because you've already modeled the chainsword. Also, do you mean a tac squad sergeant? If so, a combi-weapon (either plasma or melta depending on who you ask) seems to be the best fit. Depending on your Chapter it may be worth sticking something else on.

quote:

Do purity seals have any gameplay effect?
Not in normal play, but I believe they do in Kill Team.

quote:

What's the effective difference between the three types of Dreadnaughts?
Venerable dreadnoughts have a better stat line in terms of WS and BS, and can re-roll the damage result on an incoming penetrating hit. Ironclads are better armored and seem to be more inclined toward melee, but someone else will certainly be able to address that better than I can.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

koreban posted:

Venerable dreadnaughts gain the ability to force an opponent to reroll one penetrating hit result per (phase?/turn? - I'd have to double check).

Looks like it's every single time, which is pretty potent at 3 HP.

quote:

Ironclad dreadnaughts get extra armour value on front armour (13) and can take seismic hammers which basically obliterate armour value on buildings. They can take assault grenade launchers, though I can't recall if there's an actual benefit to those. (I think all dreadnaught weapons would go at I1, but I'd, again, have to refer to the SM codex again.)

Dreadnaught CCWs normally go on normal Initiative but it looks like the Seismic Hammer is in fact Unwieldy. The main benefit for Ironclad launchers, it seems, is preventing the enemy from gaining the bonus attack on the charge.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Direwolf posted:

10 space marines have never fit inside of any Rhino they've ever produced...sooo

They do if you melt them and pour them inside.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

LOS specifies allocated Wounds, not successful to hits.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Blue-purple, as per For the Emperor.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My neighbor just came over with a little something for me for minding his place and his pets while he was on vacation: box of marines. One "quick" dive into the bits box later and these bad boys are destined for life as a Deathwatch stand-in for Sternguard. Free warhams: the best warhams.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Do you have any more pics of this librarian? I'm thinking about converting one up myself and I'm curious about the parts you used.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hell, sometimes they even make models for named characters but don't give them any special rules (lookin' at you, Titus and Sidonus).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SRM posted:

Those were just conversions from the Sternguard kit, at least the only ones I've ever seen have been. If they made cool models for them I'd have them already.

Well, I don't mean conversions to be exactly like they are in the video game, I mean that my impression was that those two models were supposed to be sort of an easter egg version of Titus and Sidonus.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Does he still have bolter drill? If so this is still a totally viable option

He does, but an important thing to remember is that the Sternguard don't get to use it if they shoot special issue ammunition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Bone and purple seems more classically Dark Eldar to me. I think with orange you'd need a darker contrast color instead of one. I've seen a DE army that's black and orange that seems pretty good.

• Locked thread