Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fuegan posted:

30k question: How much would I be shooting myself in the foot if I ran a Talon of three Contemptors with Multi-melta and power fist/heavy flamers? Wanted something thematic but awesome for my Salamanders.

(I'm probably going to magnetise them regardless but it'd be cool to hear what loadouts people have had success with.)

Mortis Contemptors can deal out a terrifying amount of firepower, particularly with 2x Kheres assault cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HiveCommander posted:

-Mortis Cotemptor dreads with Assault Cannons can lay own the hurt on a Thunderhawk if it gets a chance.

Mortis Contemptors with Assault Cannons can lay down a mountain of hurt on almost anything. I had one deep strike behind an Ork Skullhamma and proceed to strip the last few hull points from it with 12 S6 assault cannon shots and a couple of krak missiles. The resulting reactor explosion blew up another 1500 points of orks and a few unwary space marines... but the Contemptor stood firm, blackened but undefeated.

Point is, get those fuckers into the right location and watch the poo poo fly.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 11, 2014

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Power Player posted:

I think the buggies came out in 1999, when the 3rd edition Codex came out.

The buggies and plastic warbikes are from 1997. They predated Gorkamorka.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1997usb40k/c1997usb40kp0114-02.htm

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Enentol posted:

Can we take a break from Ork discussion for a second?

A new trailer for The Lord Inquisitor just released today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

Holy poo poo, this just looks better and better.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Oh bloody hell. Industrial realm of battle boards? I can hear my wallet screaming.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Those new space wolf dreads... goddamn. A close combat dread with a 3++ save would be a thing of savage beauty.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Space Wolf dread models are seriously making me consider playing them for shits and grins, but I've got two armies on the go as it is and don't need to be collecting new models with the painting queue I have.

Pity that one cannot jam the new flyer transport full of wolves. The image of a dog's head barfing out more dogs tickles my puerile sense of humour.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Cheers, have to figure out how to make a Greater daemon of nurgle now though.

Just pile poo poo on a monster base, carve a smiley face into it and call it done. Maybe add some twigs for antlers if you want to go all out.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Both of these photos remind me of dino riders in the best possible way.

I forget what VHS I had as a kid but there was a commercial for these things at the end. These were probably out of production by the time I saw that tape (never saw an ad on TV) but drat did I want them.

I had the tyrannosaurus in the picture. The damned thing was absolutely massive and motorized; it slowly lurched across the floor making sad roaring noises. Five year old me thought it was awesome, but it scared the living poo poo out of my toddler little brother-- he used to run and hide when it started walking.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SoftDrink posted:

What are some funny things we can put in a Space Wolf drop pod. You could go with a Guard special weapons team with 3 Demo charges, a pod of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, and a pod of Bullgryns.

I really wish that you could ram wolves or space wolf bikers into those, or their new flyers. The idea of flinging a box of dogs at the enemy makes me giggle.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The sentinel/rhino hybrid that was made to look like an AT-AT is the one I'll never forget.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I imagine that thing wobbling its way towards the enemy, croaking "Killl meeeee..." as it goes.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Devlan Mud posted:

The contemptor is a pretty rad callback to the rogue trader egg-dreads though.

In the old Adeptus Titanicus game there were three patterns of "egg dread" named Furibundus, Deredeo and Contemptor. It's a rad call back, because it is a reimagined RT dread :)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I was expecting basically a vulcan megabolter. The one this thing carries hits quite a bit harder.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Direwolf posted:

How? It has 1 more strength and sacrifices 7 shots, I'd rather have the megabolter. I guess it's better against Bikes?

My mistake, I thought it had better AP than the vulcan. It could still tear up an AV13 vehicle pretty good, though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SRM posted:

My bad! Maybe once I finish painting all these Ultramarines GW will release new Space Marine models!

Oh wait :v:

Most of the Aspect Warriors are Jes Goodwin sculpts from 4th edition and look awesome. The only ones that don't look great are Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks, and I guess maybe Shining Spears but that's more a problem with the jetbike. They need to be plastic, but their design and poses aren't the problem.

Pretty sure that a pile of the aspect warriors and most of the characters are all from 2nd or 3rd edition. They've held up very well, considering.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Vengeful Turtle posted:

I haven't been paying attention to 40k lately but how good/bad is the new Ork codex considered? From what I've read it seems like the Trukk rally is pretty bad but is the Green Tide formation any good?

My best friend uses it a fair bit in apoc games. It's a real bastard to move and hits like a loving truck-- I remember it once got off something like 90+ attacks on a terminator squad that was unlucky enough to get too close for comfort. Thunderfire cannons/quad launchers and massed bolter fire (hello 30k Fury of the Legion) make it bleed from the rear end, though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Safety Factor posted:

poo poo, y'all, I thought I was bad for letting hams take over half of my desk. These pictures have put all of that in perspective.

There's a poo poo load in my closet though. I just pretend they're not there. :ohdear:

I hear you. I've got a desk that is covered with painting stuff that I need to tidy. I want to put my computer on it and free up the old computer desk to become a reloading bench.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

krushgroove posted:

Reading you guys talk about Nids makes me sad :( I get asked by the other guys in my group about these new units and I'm all 'oh yeah it looks cool and rules seem alright' but then everyone says the rules suck...I still want to try the dataslate stuff for them, I don't want my Nids to live in a box like my Dark Eldar have done until very recently.

But I have a question for anyone who's built a Warhound titan, I know there are a couple of folks here - about how long did it take to assemble, and how many spots can you magnetize for transport or movement?

I tried magnetizing the waist and found that the heavy magnets I had for the job were in no way up to the task. There really isn't much you can easily magnetize on a Lucius pattern Warhound as most of the joints carry a tremendous amount of weight for a model, though I did magnetize the top of the cockpit so I can put in some LEDs in the future to make the cockpit windows glow.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BuffaloChicken posted:

I made a diagram to help you out.

The Sporocyte is superficially very similar, but instead of being filled with living cargo and gas bladders it's filled with gross muscles and ammunition.

I like the new kit and think it looks pretty neat. I would have loved to see Mycetic Spores as an upgrade where "unit can deepstrike, can do nothing on arrival turn but gains a 5+ invulnerable" to represent them exploding into wet garbage while the Tyrannocyte is like an upgraded Mycetic Spore which does more than splat into oblivion.

Anyhow, I'm a very happy Tyranid player at the moment. Looking forward to our new formations and Warlord traits.

EDIT: This is cool though.

Also:

I have a vision of these new tyrannocytes slowing their descents from orbit with a massive fart.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

Got drat

e: Also if he broke NDA no surprise he is doing rumor control. It could go either way really. I remember reading about GWs plans for 41K (which got scrapped) so its not outside the realm of possibility

Were they actual plans, or some stuff tossed onto the web by fanboys? I've been around this hobby since the mid 90s and don't recall ever seeing anything pertaining to 41k.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Post 9-11 User posted:

If that Solar-whatever powerfist is chain driven that means it's really, really powerful at opening the power fist fingers?

Rhinos (and almost all 40k vehicles) are stupidly under-sized, so either the peeking Marine or the gunner Marine is going to look like he cannot fit through the hatch at all. It's the reason why I model the tanks so that the weapons are coaxial mounted or automated turrets.

A properly scaled Landraider would be so cool.

Modern APCs and IFVs aren't much better. I've ridden in the turret of a Canadian LAV III and barely been able to fit into the hatch and definitely did not have anything near enough leg room to squat down (I'm 6'3" tall).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That looks pretty awesome as far as I am concerned. A well executed tyranid kitbash or conversion is a rare and beautiful thing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

These guys are single pose, so I sold all of them and want to convert my own. Besides "guy pointing over there" and "dude looking that direction" what are some interesting poses for some custom artillery crew? I'm going to end up modelling 18 of the bastards :v: I would like to avoid them kneeling or picking up shells because that's going to take too much work.

One of them should be riding an artillery piece like a horse, which is how most children seem to assume ordnance is operated in the first place.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'm sorry but what child thinks this

Virtually every kid I have ever seen interact with an artillery piece on public display. Seriously, next time you're at a national park that has a cannon or two you'll see what I mean.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cythereal posted:

Looks like Samus from the Horus Heresy books will be putting in a tabletop appearance, too.

Mechanicum is getting an Ordinatus model too, apparently.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

JackMack posted:

This is another 28mm Epic model. From the depths of my memory I recall they were from the last days of Space Marine. I want to say it was Squat but I think I might be imagining it.

It is just amazing that they can propose a series of £70 books extending to 8 and being still far away from the siege of terra. It is remarkable how well they are received.

Ordinatii were Ad Mech weapons, though the Squats had something similar too. Pretty sure they had rules in Titan Legions.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Vondizimo posted:

My recent hobby work has consisted of:

1x Finecast Thunderfire
1x Forge World MKIVsquad
1x Plastic tactical squad.

The thunderfire and the MKIV marines were lovely to work with, the plastic was a total pain in the rear end in comparison. Felt like I was working with stuff sculpted out of wax. Infuriating.

I do not understand the hate on finecast now. It was terrible when it was first introduced, but now it seems pretty cool.

The older tactical squads were a little bit of a pain in the arse, but I was really impressed with the recut one that got released with the new codex. Agreed on the Mk IV marines, though. I have done 20 of them over the past few months to bulk up my World Eaters... and I plan to do a shitload more because that much blue and white would look amazing.

E: I'd be totally fine with a plastic 30k power armour box, because FW ain't a cheap way to build a legion.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 18, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

panascope posted:

I haven't seen the new box, how did they recut the sprues? I thought the old ones weren't bad really.

They had to add a bunch of new bits, including the grav guns, combi weapons and a bunch of other options. There were some new hands/arms added too. Basically, the new kit is just a lot cleaner than the old one in terms of flash and has some deeper and better defined detail lines on the armour.

I mean the old tac squad boxes are far from the hardest kits out there, they just had a lot of mold lines.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fuegan posted:

We played an Apocalypse game yesterday and one dude's Scorpion 6'd a Heirodule in the first turn. It was the Tyranid player's only super heavy. :(

Were you guys playing with strategic assets? I seem to recall one of the cards in the deck is a resupply card that allows you to put a destroyed unit back on the table.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ghost Hand posted:

Goddamn - this thing is just wicked awesome!

I might get one just for the joy of painting it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Drake_263 posted:

That's a custom-made self-cast Fellblade - there's a dude who's been making one for each Legion. (He also sells resin conversion kits to make those based on a Baneblade hull). Each is different - the Blood Angels one is essentially a souped-up Baal Predator with ginormous gatling cannons while the Thousand Sons one has this absolutely loving gigantic laser cannon and big reactor packs in the back.

Edit: Link to the dude's blog

It's actually the Stormhammer. Fellblades have a single turret for their main weapons, and only one pair of sponsons. The rules for the Stormhammer are in HHIV, and those for the Fellblade are in HHI.

E: When he started that project, "Fellblade" was more or less a generic term for space marine superheavy tanks. Now they have all sorts of variants.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Genghis Cohen posted:

I've just had a caning off a daemons army. My opponent (nice guy) was using his usual list based around a big unit of screamers w/herald w/grimoire, huge unit of flesh hounds w/herald, and fateweaver and Belakor. I was using Eldar, some wave serpents and some bikes/vypers, not quite what I would have taken as a purely competitive list.

Had a pretty good first turn, I went first and killed Belakor and maybe half the hounds right off the bat. Thought it was all going smashingly and launched a turn 1 assault on the Herald of khorne with a full unit of 8 shining spears + autarch. His herald was still technically part of the flesh hound unit but had been isolated by intense firepower. He had 2 wounds left. I then completely whiffed all my attacks, he struck back and killed 3 shining spears and put the unit to flight. This left the flesh hounds + herald consolidating into easy charge range of my force, which I really hadn't counted on.

JESUS CHRIST I just now realise he still couldn't have assaulted me in his turn 1, as he ended up doing. God dammit.

In his turn 1, as well as the aforementioned assault killing a fire dragon squad and 2 vypers, the loving daemon warp storm blew up 2 wave serpents right off the bat. I was absolutely gobsmacked.

So I never really recovered from that point. With so much stuff in my grill and half my firepower units dead on turn 1, that left him firmly in the driving seat. So I ended up eventually getting rid of the hounds, wounding but not killing fateweaver, but never more than scratching the screamers, who obviously spent most of the game with a 2+ or 3+ inv save re-rolling 1s. It's a pretty nails army to fight. He managed to chase my remaining forces up against the board edges and take some of them out, and my obj secured jetbikes weren't too effective when he was going second.

A decisive loss, but I sort of blame the dice for that one. I feel I could've saved it a bit better after the 1st turn disaster, but I'm not really sure how.

Kicking myself for not catching the first turn assault issue though, that also would have made a huge difference and maybe rescued the game.

Daemons can be absolutely brutal, particularly when someone builds with Fateweaver/Grimoire to bring their invuln saves down to 2++. I took a thrashing against them a while back with my space marines-- I figured that spamming bolter/heavy bolter and assault cannon shots into them to force failures through the law of averages was the way to go, but nope!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cataphract posted:

The ws chart goes back to fantasy and predates 3rd ed.

poo poo, I think it's from third or fourth edition WFB.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Invictus posted:

If you want Judge Dredd, why not go for the real thing?

They even have a gorilla in a dress!!!

It's right there. http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/judge-dredd/gorilla-in-a-dress.html

There's something to be said for going straight to the point.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, only one of those has gotten a rules release (Angron) and it turns out he's a pile of hot, steaming garbage, so that may not bode well for the others.

Angron's not garbage. He provides relatively little boost to his legion when on the field (12" fearless radius) but is a complete monster in close combat... and as he kills, he gets nastier. Horus aside, I'd put money on Angron over pretty much any of the primarchs that have rules so far.

(full disclosure: I play World Eaters and love the model)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ugh. I'm going to pick through my 40k Ultras and see how many old marks of armour I can find. Guilliman's model looks great so far and I bet he'll bring some massive buffs to his legion.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

20 marines, a flag dude, and a sword dude is a good place to start. If you grab a drop pod and rhino that gives you 2 tactical squads, 2 sergeants, and some rides. Otherwise its enough for a single tactical blob. It'll be the core of any army you build.

In terms of value, hell no, you can have 3 times as many if you use ebay.

A 20 marine tactical blob can lay down a murderous curtain of fire, and if you spring the extra points to equip them with an extra CCW, they are nasty in melee as well. I've got two for my World Eaters.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

serious gaylord posted:

There was a goon who had like 12 Dreads, is he still around?

I have something like 10 dreads for my ultramarines and four for my World Eaters. I am pretty happy about this change, and the boost to the jink save for stormtalons.

Bonus Nurgle pic because why not:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TKIY posted:

Seriously. Free upgrades on Mechanicus forces. Free transports. Unbound. They are already making points and balance mean less and less.

I'm not trying to defend threadshitting or anything. At this point voting with your dollars seems to be the only choice.

I see the free transports and upgrades thing as an answer to the ludicrous amount of extra units that Daemons and Daemonkin can summon over the course of a game. It's kinda nice to have an answer to a Khorne daemonkin army dropping extra bloodcrushers and bloodthirsters and essentially having its force points value extended by an additional 5-600pts (or more).

The proliferation of D-weapons though, no good can come of that.

• Locked thread