Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You can try to deny ANY power, it's just when it happens against your units that you get potential bonuses. So, basically just roll and hope for sixes.

I can't believe they imported the WFB magic phase, but made it really erratic and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
By the time the tournaments are done comping the game, they might as well write their own rules

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ghost Hand posted:

They are FAR from junk. They are appropriate now. And I play them. I am happy to see them brought down a bit. Now people will stop complaining about them.

Exactly. When the original FAQ came out it was like "Wow, thanks even though we never asked for this"

I originally figured it would be ruled as a turret or 180 degree weapon at best.

Now going into hover mode might actually be a thing again

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

JerryLee posted:

This could possibly work but you'd also want to rewrite the disciplines so that they all had six good powers (or the same number of good powers, at least). Otherwise you make a discipline with 2-3 good powers really lovely compared to one with 5-6.

Honestly, the Primaris should've been say, one free static pick on the psychic table, and then you roll on the rest or something. Having the Primaris be a specific power that was wildly imbalanced between disciplines was just asking for trouble. Like, even a competent game company would have to really think hard, as the primaris would basically define that discipline.

For Gamesworkshop it'd be yet another variable for them to gently caress up.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Can Chaos Marine ICs attach to Daemons now in 7th?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Depending on points, the Ork's relic list might not be hot garbage like a lot of others. The bike, choppa, cap, and lucky stix all look usable

RELICS
Da Ded Shiny Shoota – Assault 6 Shoota, twinlinked, rolls of 1 richochet into friendly units.

Lucky Stixx – Can choose to reroll failed hit, wound or saving throws, if 3 of these rerolls fail in a single turn the model is removed.

Warboss Gazbag’s Blitzbike – Bike, Assault 3, AP 3, Str 6 twinlinked shots.

Headwoppa’s Killchoppa – Str +2, AP5, rending, two handed, rolls of 6 are instant death.

Da Finkin Kap – Warlord gets a strategic trait along with his normal warlord trait.

Da Fixer Upperz – repair vehicles on 3+ (hull points, weapon destroyed or immobilised).

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
In terms of return, Gamesday was probably an exceptional marketing tool. It really is a bad sign since the only logical reason to shut it down is they're trying everything under the sun to cut costs.

It's like if your company took away free coffee from the office. A cost saving line item yes, but a really bad move still (free coffee has been shown to be one of the cheapest, most effective way to increase efficiency in drones).

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

SRM posted:

And a player defending against an assault can also use cover (as not all units have grenades or move through cover) and avoid the sides of the table. If I know my opponent has outflankers, I'm going to try and watch my sides. That's just good tactics, and as intrinsic as picking good fire lanes or using line of sight blocking cover. This is my fourth edition of 40k, and the only assault-based rule I've found strictly overpowered in all this time has been consolidating into assaults after winning one. Everything else has been pretty on the level or a bit underpowered.

Also:

This. 40k is a game about telling big stories, and cool assaults are what do that. The battle I had where Azrael blinded a Bloodthirster with Overwatch then eviscerated him in hand to hand combat is one. Another is the time a 3.5 Daemon Prince flew into my buddy's IG command squad, and he charged his entire platoon in to stop it. It chewed through his troops for a few rounds until he was able to finally deliver a killing blow with his junior officer, who from that day forth was known as Lieutenant Sardaukar. One I just had from a few weeks ago involved a maddening battle between Sicarius in a challenge with my opponent's Chaos Sorceror, STEEEVE. He charged me on turn 2. Sicarius challenged him every turn thereafter. For 4 turns (not rounds, TURNS) of combat, I was trying to use Sicarius' coup-de-grace attack while STEEEVE swung at strength 8 or 9 because of Iron Arm. It was super tense and really exciting when every turn one of our characters might die. At the very end of turn 6 STEEEVE finally won, but it was hard fought nonetheless.

So loving true. My favorite memory is a single Plague Champion of mine beating down an entire command squad of White Scars bikers, finally chasing the Captain off the board over the course of an entire game

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ratflinger posted:

All right, I have just finished painting my first Tau model and the remainder of my stuff should arrive next week. I am not quite sure what I should try and round things up with, and could use some input.

Currently I have:
1 Cadre Fire blade
1 Ethereal
36 Fire warriors
3 Crisis Suits
2 Riptides
10 Pathfinders
3 Broadsides

It is a bit short of the 1500 points I was aiming for, and I am considering either some Kroots or a Hammerhead, perhaps a Devilfish. I guess an Aegis would not be bad either. Suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I am pretty scared of heavy armour. Could also post some pictures tomorrow in case anyone is interested in seeing amateur paint jobs.

No love for a buff commander? Its like the signature HQ for Tau

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm one of the people responsible for Xcom: EU. Its not a coincidence that some of the mechanics feel familiar- the most influential designer (not me) is a huge 40k fan.

He's also a goon.

Please patch Enemy Within for PS3. It is like unplayably buggy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Tom Kirby is stepping down and posted his Chairman Pre Amble, it's kind of insane.

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Chairmans-Preamble-2014.pdf

It's kind of a really weird letter. Also he kind of comes off as a rear end in a top hat.

We spent close to a quarter million pounds and got a settlement for 20,000. Plus, we kind of poo poo the bed in losing a whole bunch of rights to specific things that we had previously had rights to.

I kind of find it hard to believe the pdf is really. It's about one of the weirdest things I've ever seen come out of an actual corporation. Like Kirby even addresses himself in the 3rd person and refers to "cronies". Like this is the resignation of someone going thru a mental health break down

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Just to be clear this is on their actual investor website you just have no access to it without knowing the actual address. I seriously doubt this is fake.

I doubt its fake fake... just unbelievable that someone posted this letter to build investor confidence. I'd be mashing sell so hard 5 seconds after reading this

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Tequila Ranger posted:

Horray more pricechat and "when is GW gonna die" speculation in place of annoying game talk, battle reps, and pictures of models...

I'm slightly chuffed as I just scored 40 new on sprue necron warriors for $51 shipped from ebay :toot:

I'd agree except the preamble to their earnings report sounds like Kirby gazed into the Eye too long and lost his mind

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I realized what was bothering me about the new vehicle damage table. The bonuses to explode should've started at AP3. It should've sufficed in making light arms less deadly to light vehicles while still allowing for one shots with anti tank weapons.

I just its extremely goofy that a direct hit with a battle or rocket can't one shot even the lightest of vehicles

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Hencoe posted:

you reroll your pens anyways, so technically they already have it.

He probably meant armorbane as he referred to 5th edition

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
GK release is looking to be the laziest by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Is the Tau formation just the best one? A lotta points sure, but thats the only drawback.

7th edition made the Helcult formation pretty pointless.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread