Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to summon Harlequins and Banshees as daemons. For no reason other than to simply get to play with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've been working on upgrading my transport capability. For the price of a third of the capacity of battlefoam or what have you I got something that is solid, lockable, and carries everything I need. Still working on the foam cutouts, have about half of my army to go but when it's done it should be able to carry about 3500-4000 points.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LordAba posted:

But initiative is the speed or order in which you strike in close combat. Ergo, vis-a-vis not being slowed by charging through terrain, you can strike at the same initiative order!

Hey, dick, you know that's not the case (I'm sorry if you're being facetious :ohdear:)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget the most important rule. Roll that d6.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So.... Asurmen just got a lot more fun to use. D3 Warlord Traits, re-rollable in a Battle-Forged list?

Since Strategic is now very good this could mean cool things for a certain mundane Phoenix Lord.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AgentF posted:

90 free summoned models by Turn 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMAAP6HWfw

Welcome to 7th Ed.

I didn't realize that Badger from Breaking Bad played Warhammer.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The tournaments I play in penalize players pretty heavily for failing to complete 4 game turns.

If I faced an all summoning army like that I'd probably accept that I'm going to get crushed and slow play the rear end in a top hat into a mutual loss. Normally I'd sicken myself at such a move, but in this case I'd feel pretty morally justified in doing it

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Someone needs to rig up a vomit marine fountain.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Chill the gently caress out dude. It's not like the flamer is going to be sitting right next to your AV loving 10 vehicle on turn one. I don't know about you, but I find AV 10 open topped vehicles as easy to pop as just pointing at them and rolling dice. This doesn't really change very much and is a pretty nice balance to being able to assault from vehicles.

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 26, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So in the Iyanden FAQ, designating a Wraithknight as your Warlord now makes it a character.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So has anyone considered how the armies are going to interact with the new mission point system?

Eldar seem to have a leg up here:
- Swooping Hawks deepstriking without scatter onto an objective and claiming it, skyleaping only to come back later and do it again.
- Eldar jetbikes, as troops, will have the uncontested rule and can move 42" in a turn.
- Warp Spiders are also an exceedingly effective objective grabber now.

I think like 2/3 of the cards are objectives...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Oh, I read 'each detachment' and saw 'primary detachment'.

The Lore of Change shooting attacks aren't new, though. If you didn't care about them before you're probably not going to start a Space Wolves psyker-hate list now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMAAP6HWfw

EDIT: Also that he was conjuring Daemonettes rather than more Horrors capable of shooting more poo poo. Also that he actually stopped summoning as much as he could.
VVVV

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 28, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I realized while playing in a tournament this past weekend that not only did tanks get a buff, but more importantly, Imperial Knights got a buff. I was pretty upset to have figured that out considering that the last tournament I played in was 2000 points and an 1850 point 5-IK list won it under the old rules.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DJ Dizzy posted:

So does this edition turn into "You have to have psykers in your army or you are going to get murdered in the psychic phase if you dont"

No.

It has turned into "Every daemon player has just become a Tzeenth only player, if they weren't already" and "Don't try to beat daemons by killing their guys" game.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I actually don't have a problem with it because I've never personally had a problem with beating Daemons. That doesn't mean I don't think that a powerful army just got far and away the biggest boost in viable options available to it (which translates into even more powerful tournament play). As others have said, strictly summoning daemon lists are probably less powerful than mixing in some other pieces.

Besides that, I actually like the changes that were made to 40k which is why I said "No." As in, no it's not mage-hammer.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 28, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

I've never understood why people who do battle reports at least don't put on a little bit of foundation and maybe dress up a little bit. Seriously your on camera and people are seeing you be presentable.

What the hell?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Von Humboldt posted:

Does the Hemlock Wraith Fighter get Psychic Shriek? It has one power from Telepathy. I think it does get the Psychic Focus as well, but I'm not sure if that is a bonus or overrides "this unit has just this power." If so, that's an alright buff to that thing.

Might just make it worth taking actually.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking to update the paint scheme on my Dire Avengers and thus selling off my old ones. Would anyone be interested in 20 Dire Avengers?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm currently re-doing my Dire Avenger scheme and I ginned up a rough (unfinished) test model. What do you think of this?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's (dark to light) Balor Brown > Karak Stone > Ushabti Bone. The brown doesn't blend the best so I tried to minimize it's impact.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Post 9-11 User posted:

Not bad. The model has a large number of base colors, you may find that applying colors from so many pots is tiresome, especially if you wish to add a three part highlight to each.

Yeah, it will be. It's in line with the rest of my models though and I'm only looking at ~20 at most.

I'll finish that model tonight and try and get a better picture in better light.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Finished my test Dire Avenger model. I think I'm a fan even without the warm color that was suggested. It's going to be on a snow base so I'm not sure the warm color is required. What do you think?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Good call with using the drops that way. I'm probably gonna steer clear of them altogether. I'm now being labeled a "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag" in the local hams group, so gently caress it.

Honest assessment; you're group sounds like a bunch of douchebags and you sound like a pushover.

To sum up in pictures:
You:

Them:

What needs to happen:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've seen VP's awarded in tournament scenarios for killing an entire section of the Forge Org chart. In the event the player didn't have an option in that slot (Elite, Fast Attack, etc...) those points were automatically awarded.

Penalizes armies who maximize on one element and that all Imperial Knight list without actually penalizing them directly (though the IK's still took 2nd with a 1,850 point list in a 2,000 point tournament).

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 31, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Genghis Cohen posted:

Haha, what film is this? The three pictures tell quite a story by themselves.

It's from the TV show Fargo. Which I highly recommend (and is based in the same world as it's movie namesake)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I was doing some digging in the new rulebook and I found that you could give certain units a USR called "Tank Hunter." There is also another called "Monster Hunter"!

I was going over this a little bit and I think certain units might be better at hunting tanks. So if you face a bunch of Lemun Russes you could potentially use Tank Hunter against them! On the flip side, if you're facing Tyranids Monster Hunter might be useful.

I'm going to try this out this week, I'll get back to you guys on how it works.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There are a few major tournaments in the US:
- Adepticon (Chicago)
- Las Vegas Open (Not sure where)
- NoVa (Alexandria/Washington DC)

There are also smaller ones at some conventions, and then there is generally a tournament scene at local games stores. The best I've found in this area is run by the guy that runs Spikey Bits. His store, FTW Games, is pretty stellar and the tournies they run are pretty competitive/well-run.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Post 9-11 User posted:

Unbelievable! As something of a military historian, (the veteran of many viewings of Saving Private Ryan and have an advertisement for the book Killing Lincoln sitting on my toilet tank) I know that approximately four rounds of shooting must be spent shooting Frag Missiles at the side of the Chimera (named after the Chinese Zodiac) in order to create dramatic tension for my youtube battle report (I aim to please my devoted following within the lore fandom).

I legitimately overheard a discussion from a bunch of hams on whether a bunch of WWII generals were really as good as they were made out to be. Rommel, Patton, Montgomery, etc...

I think they played Flames of War and thought that qualified them to know what the gently caress they're talking about.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

moths posted:

They were quite likely discussing the generals' FoW special characters.

I'm 99% certain they were not.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd like to make an argument for why the Hemlock Wraithfighter is now a sincerely worthwhile choice in this new edition.

Buffs:
- Is Mastery Level 1 and adds to the Psychic Pool
- Gains the Psychic Scream power
- Psychic Scream is now 18" range
- Terrify buffed to give a -1 to LD checks
- Can now cast on the turn that it comes in
- Jink is now 4+ won't prevent it from casting
- Is equipped with Spirit Stones so ignores 50% of the vehicle damage table on a 2+ and ignores Stunned on a 4+

Cons:
- Does not score
- Jink means it cannot fire the Heavy D-Scythes
- Cannot attack other flyers

Essentially, you now have a Flyer that on the turn it comes in, vector dances, and can Psychic Scream at a unit 18" away then either drop double S4 AP2 Distort blast templates on that same unit, or on another unit entirely.

Alternatively, you can bring it in to 12" of multiple enemy units and use Terrify on one unit which will force a LD -1 test that must be re-rolled if passed (because of the Hemlock's Mind Shock pod). You can then follow it up with the double blasts, and potentially force a second, re-rolled if passed, leadership test. Furthermore, everything that causes pinning (Serpent Shields, Rangers, Dark Reapers w/ Starshot, Warp Spider Spinneret Rifle, Shadow Weaver/D-Cannons, etc...) also force re-rolls on all passed pin checks with 12". Ditto for break checks. In this capacity, a terrified LD 10 unit fails 33% of the time it takes a check, a terrified LD 9 unit fails 55% of the time it takes a check. Pretty brutal.

With the nerf to Skyfire weapons I assume there will likely be fewer of them on the table (though it may push more flyers, which will eventually push them back onto the table). Still, the Hemlock can still Jink for the 4+ and ignore most penetrating results, while still being an effective offensive weapon (via Terrify/Mindshock).

[/argument]

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Well the way they wrote the FAQ it can now fly on the board and turn into a Bloodthirster.

So I mean that is kind of badass.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks that. It states it does not roll for psychic powers but knows Terrify (which also gives it Psychic Focus and thus Psychic Scream) but since it's only Mastery Level 1 and must take Terrify it can't exactly roll for Possession...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

In Addition to means in addition. I don't know how that could be clearer?

Yeah dude we get it. It is Mastery Level 1. It specifically states it does not roll for psychic powers but knows Terrify. Since it can't possibly know anything more than the Telepathy Primaris, maybe you should explain why you think it can roll for Possession now simply because the FAQ says the "psyker and psychic pilot" can roll on daemonology.

Anyways, the Hemlock got a lot of buffs and it's now p good

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 3, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Is anyone here good at math and percentages?

If I have a chart of a 1-6. What are the odds that with 3 Rolls I would get a six. I would get to roll 4 seperate times.

The I would get

12 More individual rolls.

If you are wondering, I'm trying to figure out the possession odds on a army with 6 Pink Horrors , 4 Heralds, 3 Imperial Psykers, 3 Wyrdvane squads.

This post is somewhat non-sensical but let me take a stab.

Three separate rolls means you will get a six 50% of the time. With four similar such rolls, you will average two Possessions. With each individual roll of 12 you will have a ~17% chance of rolling Possession. So over 12 rolls you will average two more Possessions.

Four Possessions.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Two Feet From Bread posted:

All NIB. It comes out to just over $10k. I'm selling 99% of it for 50% off MSRP as soon as I get the inventory in excel and make the SA Mart thread.

I'm in line for some Eldar.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm in on some unpainted Eldar.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well that probably depends on whether he plans on unfucking them or not.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, those minis aren't particularly heinous. I don't really understand the need to go out of your way acquiring female authority figures for your miniatures war game, and I feel like it probably implies some kind of underlying psychological thing, but who are we to judge? I like to paint my orks with luscious pearlescent colors because GIVE ME ATTENTION, I AM A SNOWFLAKE

I think it's more of a unique thing like you mentioned.

My guardians are 20% female, though they aren't being raped.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Look at real world fully kitted out for combat women, other than their hight and the way they stand, they look exactly the same. Body armor doesn't come with boobs for female soldiers. Though makers of female models always add them.

A part of that is intentional. Even non-combat uniforms, despite having a different look, aren't exactly made to emphasize the female form.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Did a couple more Dire Avengers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lungboy posted:

Doc Thunder stuff is bad, but it's not Wet Nurse levels of bad.

Not familiar with the Wet Nurse. Not sure I want to be.

• Locked thread