Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

JackMack posted:

First thing I thought on close inspection of the word bearers contemptor (other than it looking cool) was that there appears to be a droopy crucifix on the flame icon on his chest. Controversial...

I think the symbols on Word Bearers (see the Ashen Circle models for more of them) are supposed to sort of resemble astrological symbols to go with the Word Bearers mystic-religious theme (though it being cross-like easily fits in there as well), like these:

Specifically the one on the chest looks sort of like a flipped around Jupiter sign. All the teeny-weeny details on Forgeworld models are so drat cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Those're gorgeous. I think that colour scheme and the old models look great.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

This just showed up in the latest Forge World bulletin:

:confused: What? :confused:

Edit: What we can see of the top half basically looks like what would happen if the Imperium built a Mad Cat. Giant autocannons, entombed corpse-pilot, and all. I am not sure if this is a good thing.

The pointy chest does also seem to be hiding yet another gun (heavy bolter?). I really want to see more of the legs cause at the moment it looks a bit... boat-like.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm trying to make an honour guard squad, 4 axes, 5 maces and a relic blade. Does anyone know which kits have power mauls/maces in? Dark angel veteran kit is the only one I can think of off of the top of my head. Is there a handy forge world kit or something? I'd settle for thunder hammers, I think the vanguard kit has a bunch.

25 str 6 ap4 hits on the charge is nasty.

It's only the single mace but I'm reasonably sure the CSM terminators box has one in it. From what I can see a lot of the Forgeworld terminator weapon kits have at least one maul, and then some hammers that could probably be made to look quite maul-like. In terms of multiple mauls in the same box it doesn't seem like there are many options.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

So why is there a last chancer milling around with the new ultra˛marine? I wonder if all of the legacy metal minis they still have available are going out the window with 8th? Gotta get that penitent engine I've been meaning to pick up since they put out codex Witchhunters (funnily enough pretty much the only model that can be had cheaper new from GW than ebay resellers).

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Because it's a conversion and whoever just stuck him next to his truescale dude for comparison.

Good on them for finding a guy looking up at the right angle and with the perfect expression for someone being yelled at by a space marine.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

TsarZiedonis posted:

Hello thread! I just got back into 40k after three years away. The actual advances to the plot are really cool and we're a big contributor to getting me back. I played IG since I was a 12 year old, and it's gotten a little stale. I pulled out the half of a marine army I got from a guy who was leaving the hobby, but my enthusiasm waned a little bit when I realized that everyone just runs the same Battle Company formation (or it's even better dark angels equivalent). Thankfully though, after three hours of conversation, a sales guy at Huzzah hobbies was able to point me towards the mechanicum! They look really cool, and like they would play really *different*, which is exactly what I wanted. I bought the start collecting Skitaari box set, which actually was a good deal! I love the aesthetics of the AdMech guys, but I don't actually know too much about them... any advice for a guy who has a solid foundation on basic 40k rules but who has never, ever played with the newer factions before?

Oh, and to reference the above post, I just bought some of the newer books and the art and fluff are definitely worse. A lot of the art looks like CGI and some of the fluff in the Fall of Cadia book read like fanfiction.

As someone who is also dipping back in to the hobby I've been annoyed by the art a bit as well. I've seen someone suggesting that they're trying to show less stuff that can't be directly purchased as a model and that seems like the case. Which is kind of to the detriment of the setting/atmosphere. The whole 40k universe is filled with crazy/mysterious/poo poo that barely anyone understands/has ever seen and I feel like the attachment to 'A digi-painting of a squad in the exact poses of their models, but with their guns firing!' is kinda sucking that feeling out. This may be entirely my own opinion but the amount and variety of art in older codices was much better at giving you the 'feel' of a faction, so that you could make your army something more of your own vision and have inspiration for conversions etc.

Obviously there's nothing stopping you doing this but codices like Cult Mechanicus are bad at conveying the vastness of the setting and the variety of the faction that comes hand in hand with that. As it is it looks like every cult army everywhere contains the exact same 6 types of units that galaxy-wide (aside from paint) look exactly the same. It less wants you to make your vision of the army and more GW's vision of the army but customised a bit.

I guess it's not helped that so many character models are monopose 'standing on a plinth or something' instead of proper kits like the SM commander or Chaos terminator lord.

We're a long way from deodorant-stick land-speeders.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is that why the art is bland? It's basically just an in book advertisement for the model line?

I got into 40k years ago when the eye of terror campaign book came out. I was raised on the 3rd ed codexes, the campaign books and necromunda, which all had tons of stuff depicted that had no direct tabletop equivalent. The art and writing on those books did such an amazing job of conveying the grit and the emotion of the setting to the reader. Now, even the chaos books seem... antiseptic? Sanitized?

I got in after winning the 3rd ed starter box and some tanks in a competition in the Warhammer comic and my copy of the rulebook is battered to hell from me endlessly turning through it absorbing the art. The new direction is a bit lame for this.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Everyone's there and making big battle faces but they don't actually look like they're fighting each other.

Where's the good poo poo GW?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Moola posted:

Wait... is this from the actual new codexeses? cause holy poo poo if so

Any of the ones for units that aren't completely armoured are particularly special, see babby's first sybarite:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the old plastic catachans were loving awful even when they were new

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Have to agree, while I don't really have the time/inclination/cash to build a full army or attempt to understand all the rules they've added since 3rd, I'd definitely pick up a box of guys and get in to some squad level stuff.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Where did the plastic sisters appear in the video?

It was a previous video where they showed off Magnus I think, one of the guys looks in their big 'secret stuff' trash can and yells "Plastic sisters of battle?!". The plastic thunderhawk box is kind of a call back to that maybe.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Someone dissuade me from buying a box of GK Purifiers and Terminators at 50% off and kitbashing them into Marines. Because I kinda want to.
One store also has a Dreadnight at 50% but that thing is nearly unsalvageable anyway. :v:

FWIW I think the plastic GK terminators legs have some of the worst examples of power squatting around, but there're tons of cool bits in both of those kits and 50% off is pretty tasty.

As for the dreadknight, aside from the baby carrier I think one of the ugliest design elements are the big right-angled pistons above the arms, I know they're going for a weirdo imperial technology vibe but they look totally out of place considering the rest of the model. Both those bits ought to be pretty easy to hack off though if you did need a big generic robot body for some reason.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

They're going to produce a 'Sisters of Battle being sacrificed for x plot point' diorama kit before they ever put out a plastic squad.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Plague Marines are exclusively from the Death Guard. If you can justify them as someone with a bunch of diseases, then you can justify a Rubric as a sorcerer and his puppets.

Yeah the fluff is more than malleable enough to allow for alternate sorcerer-controlled ghost marines. ~Warp drive mishap~

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

I've decided that my tech-priest dominus is a woman and I've reflected this on her model by doing...absolutely nothing because if you're going to turn yourself in to a machine over a number of centuries you're probably going to lose most of your external sexual characteristics pretty quickly.

Actually aside from electro-priests the whole Admech range is pretty neutral, as it should be.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

ijyt posted:

Who doesn't like to fantasize about hulky men that can envelop you in their arms :allears:

~Hold me like your bolter~

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

So I built and painted something for the first time in like a decade (excuse the way too zoomed in photo):

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

tall hat best hat

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Naramyth posted:

Looks good and the picture is sized correctly. A+ would look at again, especially over 70 posts of sisterchat.

quote:

I like the purple! I also regret giving mine the hood and not the tall hat.

Thanks! I really like purples so I can't help getting them in somewhere.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

There would be a lot of money in rulebook+faction plastic squad box sets.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Having a physical book is nice for rules reference etc but since they did away with most of the extra faction-flavour art and fluff they've been really uninteresting as books to flip through for anything other than rules reference.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

SRM posted:

They still have tons of faction art and fluff though?

Obviously there is still art and fluff in the books, but large bits of the art are either photoshopped models or direct drawings of models. They do a bad job (maybe codex space marines/large factions are different idk) of giving you a look in at the organisation behind the immediately combat focused guys. Maybe it's a weird complaint but that stuff is what I think makes armies interesting and gives them personality.

Take both of the mechanicus codices for example. For a faction as crazy and varied as the mechanicus, the art does a terrible job showing that variety; aside from paint jobs every single combat-focused tech-priest, datasmith and robot in the galaxy looks exactly the same. The little fluff blurbs are basically the same thing in text form.

There is still art and fluff in the books but the quality and variety has been greatly reduced, making the books a much tougher sell for me anyway.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

The best part about epub3 is that it sometimes massively zooms in the paint scheme example drawings so they look even goofier.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, plus rules for Sisters and inquisitors and some errata. They said the book would be shipping/available for download Mid-May.

All I wanted from this game was a way to play an inquisitor's gang of weirdo henchmen, this is great news!

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

CSI levels of enhance going on

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is so loving stupid and disingenuous it actually requires effort to address. You're comparing this new marine on a 32mm base to a 2nd edition marine on a 28mm base (the old metal models are significantly smaller than even the current plastics), which are already smaller than current marines and have a squat posture. Here are some dudes I took a picture of last night. One is a plastic Tactical marine in a standard pose next to ordinary Deathwatch marines released 6 months ago. The biggest differences are that the Deathwatch mans aren't squatting, which makes them appear to be a head or more taller.

I think Artum was trying to make a joke earlier, they just messed up the format. I've done my best to salvage it.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

That's a cool marine. All chainswords should have hazard stripes on them tbh

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

panascope posted:

They're gonna call them battlepdfs

*battlepubs

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

There's a chaos ork for you, courtesy of the ever-so-canon Warhammer Monthly.

Bloodquest had some pretty great bits on a demon world actually, big old sea of blood with Khornate ships fighting each other forever etc.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

So looking at the comic again I've found an image of a space marine with no clothes on that I thought you'd all enjoy:

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 9, 2017

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Those are some weird rear end tan lines.

:ssh: thats all under his skin.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Since somebody mentioned rough riders earlier, does GW actually sell a model for them anymore aside from the krieg ones? Can't see the old ones around anywhere.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

goose willis posted:

Change of subject: am I going to regret my life if I buy something on AliExpress

This was ages ago but no you won't. Also as long as it's actually on Aliexpress you'll be paying through one of the largest payment processors in the world (Alipay has been bigger than paypal for a while) so your details will be fine.

Warhammer with chinese characteristics is the best warhammer.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Munchables posted:

Howdy folks, been workin on my current models, but because my sergeant is in stripping limbo I made this guy, but idk what to do with him. Would he be eligible as a sergeant or would he have to be a terminator or captain or something?

I like mister fister here. As for eligibility just make sure to tell your opponent which of his fists actually counts and you should be fine. Shove a holstered gun on him someplace for his bolt pistol (don't worry that he couldn't conceivably ever draw and fire it) and you're golden.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Hixson posted:

Idk that Ethereal seems pretty cool wth it

Isn't that the one they replaced with a hologram? Are the tau maybe gonna work out that they're being deceived all the time?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

That's him. Pre-murderising.

All signs point to another uprising, Farsight style.

Oh right yeah he was killed by a culexus wasn't he.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Choosing a helmet that isn't the most common space marine helmet (art-wise anyway) kinda fits with the Adeptus Largicus not necessarily being intended to replace all space marines everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

moths posted:

It's also fluff-appropriate since that's how RG remembers helmets looking back when his Imperium was great.

On that note, I want them to do a lot more with the Guilliman's nostalgia Empire vs the present bloated and run-down Imperium than I think they will. So far everyone is pretty cool with Bobby in spite of all the tech/xenos/warp heresy it took to get him there.

• Locked thread