Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Someone has compared the new book to the old one. There are 6 new pages of rules content. 6.

Where can I find this comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They gave fortifications hull points. Of course they did.

And they fixed the discrepancy between buildings and vehicles so melta/haywire/armorbane work against buildings now.

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 23, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LordLobo posted:

If you have the new book, please confirm:

So the new Psychic Phase:

- Each side generates d6+[total mastery levels] dice
- If you're casting, you spend at least X dice plus however many more you want to to cast, roll the dice and get a total
- Deny the Witch has to roll greater than that number

correct?

Then do double-6's by the caster cause 'perils of the warp'?
Do double-6's also make the spell un-deniable?

Yeah, when it's your turn you roll a single D6. Both sides get that many dice in their pool, plus one for every mastery level in your army. Then when you want to cast, you declare your target, pull out as many dice from your pool as you want, and roll them. For every 4+ you roll, you get a Warp Charge. If you have enough Warp Charges for the level of the spell, it goes off. If you didn't get enough Warp Charges, it fails. If you roll 2 or more 6's it passes.

Deny the witch cancels out one warp charge for every 6 rolled. +1 on that roll for psykers, psykers with higher mastery, and adamantium will. If you deny them equal to or more warp charges than they successfully harness (so if you deny 2 out of 3 or 2 out of 4), the psychic power is nullified.

Note that now you can Deny the Witch on abilities that are not targeting you. You just don't get those bonuses to the roll (so always on a 6). So yes, you can deny them their blessings.

Also, you cannot cast psychic abilities on a unit in a transport. Even if you are doing it to your own from inside. You can only cast witchfire from inside, and only through a fire point.

edit: Nope, I'm wrong about the meaning of Harness there. You have to wipe out all of their Warp Charges to DTW.

Fix fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 23, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I see they have fixed the rules about assaulting and shooting between rooms in a multi-part building by just excluding them, so that's pretty fantastic. :thumbsup:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ijyt posted:

Could you expand on that? I'm not familiar with it.

It used to be that you could shoot into an adjacent room and assault the unit in there. You would remove casualties and retreat into the room from which you came unless you wiped them out. Now you just treat each room as individual transport models, but there's no firing ports between rooms or anything, and you can't assault like that. So now, you wipe out a unit in one room (by shooting flamethrowers in through the fire points, though it seems like they might have taken out the rules where you could chuck grenades into a building), gain access via the door, and then just stand there looking at the unit in the next room over but unable to do anything to them.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Questions!

Conjuration:
Do they score (battle forged bonus too then?) yes
Do they (conjugated daemon units) get one free icon/instrument/champion upgrade? Yes

Psykers:
So if I roll only two dice to manifest, get boxcars (6 & 6) I perils but I pass? Yes
...Even if it's WC3 power? You pass, but you can't afford that WC3, so no.
...Even if they rolled one or two Deny the Witch of a 6? They'd have to roll 2.
So we do get a Primarus if we roll all powers on the lore? Yes?
Do Chaos Psykers 'marked-X' or 'Daemon of-X' get X's Primarus for free? (Never saw actual proof of these) Yes!

Allies:
Are the 'Desperate' and 'Come the Apocalypse' still scoring? Do the troops still get Objective Secured? It seems so?
Is the 12" distance only in the deployment, then just the 'one eye open' check if within 6"? Yes.

Assault:
Move Though Cover now ignores the problem with -2" on assault, what about Initiative penalty?

Move Through Cover posted:

A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule rolls an extra D6 when rolling to move through difficult terrain and is not slowed by charging through difficult terrain. In most circumstances, this will mean that , when moving, the unit rolls 3d6 and picks the highest roll. Furthermore, a model with the Move Through Cover special rule automatically passes Dangerous Terrain tests.

It does not appear that there is any change to the initiative penalty.

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 23, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LordAba posted:

But initiative is the speed or order in which you strike in close combat. Ergo, vis-a-vis not being slowed by charging through terrain, you can strike at the same initiative order!

I'm sure this isn't serious, but just in case there needs to be any clarification here, there is a bolded part in the section called Charging Through Difficult Terrain that reads:

quote:

if at least one model in the charging unit moved through difficult terrain as part of its charge move, all of the unit's models must attack at Initiative step 1 regardless of other Initiative modifiers, even if the charging unit is not slowed by difficult terrain.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey, what was the chariot that had all the problems?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pacheeco posted:

The Burning Chariot because the passenger fires the weapons (as opposed to the actual Chariot firing them) and they are both Heavy and one is a Template so if the Chariot moves at all the passenger is unable to shoot one and has to snap fire the other. The only way to fix this is to make the passenger Relentless or move the weapons to part of the Chariot's weaponry.

Shooting with chariots posted:

When determining the required To Hit roll for any weapons fired by a Chariot model, use the Ballistic Skill on the Chariot's profile for any weapons mounted on the Chariot itself, and the Ballistic Skill on the rider's profile for any weapons wielded by the rider. In addition to the Chariot's weapons shooting, the rider can shoot any shooting weapon he himself is equipped with, counting as stationary even if the Chariot moved in the previous movement phase-the Chariot and rider must target the same unit though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saalkin posted:

Now that we've done away with the FOC, next in 8th edition dropping points altogether too!

Don't want those bean counters getting in the way of this sweet-assed narrative.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Good, he pointed out the change to deployment order. If you win the coin toss you can choose to deploy second and go first now. Crazy.

e: this is wrong.

Fix fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 24, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saalkin posted:

Really? That sounds retarded.

Wait. No, I got that wrong. You can choose to set up first and go second. Not nearly as good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So Germ just pointed out to me that the Aegis line is gone from this book, which means that if you want one you have to get it from the Stronghold book which is…eh... not exactly the best-written collection of clean rules in the universe.

For example, there's now technically no limit to the number of quad guns you can buy for one.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

If my opponent makes me go first, can I roll a d6 to Reject the Initiative?

On a 6 you take a nap.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LordAba posted:

Unless I miss something, you can only take one battlement & battlefield per fortification, so no you can't take unlimited quad guns. Stronghold Assault works really well IMO.

I'm losing my freakin mind over here, I swear to god. I saw the limits on Buildings but couldn't find it for not-buildings and it's right there. Ugh.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I just realized that Chaos Knights are finally a thing now.

Are they? Are knights not lumped in with forces of the imperium?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks like the usual to me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

7thBatallion posted:

Did you search by newly listed?

Always do. My bookmark filters to things posted in the last two hours.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SRM posted:

Was wound allocation changed in any way, aside from spillover from challenges? I haven't seen much about it is all so I wasn't sure.

It's pretty much the same, except for a few cases where they introduce wounding a random model, like when a vehicle explodes. It's not bad for most things, but if someone sticks a flamer through my fortification window now I've got to figure out how to randomly assign a bunch of hits to 30 models whereas before they sorta forged the narrative for you a little.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There are two or three things about this book thus far that have struck me as plain lazy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, but to their credit they made vehicle explosions less common? I dunno, man. Even the whole "shoot with each weapon type at a time" thing is pretty eeeehhhh….

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BULBASAUR posted:

Isn't the 'edition' entirely unlabeled? Then why are we even calling it 7th edition? It's like saying Dawn of War: Soulstorm = Dawn of War 2. poo poo's just an update folks.

Because in doing so we can easily compare it to previous versions and know when changes were made without having to linguistically dance around a lot?

What's wrong with version control?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The example of Citadel-only scenery rules in this book has a particular other close-to-home example. Recall that a little while ago our own goon Germ was selling vehicle explosion markers via a kickstarter campaign. Guess what doesn't exist anymore? When Chimera explode now, they do so so completely that they don't even leave a crater behind anymore. Thanks, GW, for sticking it to a man!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Moola posted:

Random allocation is terrible. You should totally ignore it and use the old 'just choose who dies' system.

Definitely this.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Why would you want a set of cards per player? I thought you weren't allowed to have duplicate objectives.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They are, but Come the Apocalypse is less harsh than 6th Edition's Desperate Allies.

Everybody deploys a foot away because Kharn's driving.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

Wouldn't normally be spamming up such WIP models, but these Squats were made possible by some goons so I wanted to share.

Thanks BULBASAUR for the arms - in your honor, they'll all have the number 001 painted on real tiny. And thanks Fix for the weapons - I'm gonna remove some of the gems and do a tiny bit of Imperial stuff to them, but they make perfect exotic meltaguns and a flamer. The rest of the squad will have lasguns. These guys are gonna be a Veteran squad to round my Knight Titan up to an even 500pt chunk I can tack on to existing IG lists.

And since I posted my tree daemons, here's the crazy homeless forest man who will be summoning them. Hard to tell here but he's floating, and the branches under him will be painted to be glowing.

Cheers to everyone else who posted sweet minis and crazy fun little 7th edition battle reports. Chirurgeon, I'm gonna be in NYC late July - I'll shoot you a message and see if maybe we can get in some game time with those awesome Chaos dudes. :cheers:

Ayup, kinda dope.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

My brother just texted me a photo of his WIP terrain piece using the plasma globe. I'll share it here when he has more progress.

My only regret is that your guys' stuff is going to outshine my own so spectacularly.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

AgentF posted:

This is the truth. All y'all who've bought the 7E rulebook are fools (or millionaires for whom money means nothing).

Temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Are you really that peeved by someone using proxies in a "let's test the upper limit" list two days after the edition drops?

This is worth raising a stink on facebook. Oh what a stink shall be raised.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

AndyElusive posted:

Is that vomit magnetized?

Ayup.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Grey knights were designed for 6th, iirc. They had non-independent characters and brotherhood of psykers and all kinds of things that seemed strange at the time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

HiveCommander posted:

If only Tyranids were designed for 7th, they came out only 4 months before the new edition and if anything, they have a ton of stuff that makes less sense in 7th ed. It's not a case of Necrons having heavy vehicles with no rules for them or special snowflake wound allocation when using a certain character's weapon.

At this point Tyranid players should basically just flip the table over every game and declare it random wound allocation.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Could the psychic vehicles also then shoot in the shooting phase? Seems like the return of the henchmen (psykers) in razorbacks. Vortex and psycannon sounds all right.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy poo poo that's rad.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sephyr posted:

Since I'd rather not brave the whinefest of DakkaDakka, thought I'd ask here:

What can Eldar/Dark Eldar bring in for their Lords of War? I know AM get Baneblades, Chaos gets that silly Lord of Skulls, but what about the space elves?

Thought I'd make a Nurgle Plague Tower from some bits and was wondering if it could be used for daemons/CSM, too.

Revenant Titan. 900 points. The only thing Chaos has is the Lord of Skulls.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

TheChirurgeon posted:

What about Chaos Warhound Titans?

Not in Escalation. Neither is the Loyalist one, though unless I've gone completely blind (this is possible).

Never mind, found the Forgeworld list of additional Lords of War:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lordsofwar.pdf

Fix fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 27, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm just glad Striking Scorpions can fit into DE Raiders now.

Can Battle Brothers start inside each other's transports though?

I don't think so. Not Dedicated Transports, anyhow.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just wish they could have given us one single example of even an experimental detachment that would have made this design worth the iteration, but no they goddamn don't. It's so full of hope and promise, but literally nothing else of substance, kinda like the last two years of allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's the thing, that promise has been there since they began this ally business, but they haven't followed through with it at all. It's just been poo poo theory-ing around the actual rules and they don't actually do anything to make it intriguing. Pull the loving trigger already.

e: Knights are a lovely example, they feel so tacked on.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread