Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Ork Horde detachment seems like it's best just to add extra non-troops slots to a list, especially HQs. 3 more HQs/Heavy Support slots at the low cost of three Gretchin squads. They don't have ObSec, but that just means they're now a mobile cover save.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm almost certain that the box will contain a formation for each of the army sets, so there's no reason to worry about the forces being a complete army or not.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd use them as Scions.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm almost certain that the box will contain a formation for each of the army sets, so there's no reason to worry about the forces being a complete army or not.

Bingo:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

Those fingernails are kind of distracting.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you wouldn't be able to add on a CAD on top of that. If you can fill out your points go hog wild.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

A detachment will only get the Command Benefits listed on it. The only Formation with ObSec is Skyblight, IIRC.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

IWND is far from FNP, and he's Unique regardless.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

CyberLord XP posted:

Ugh I kinda of want to see the Ghaz supplement but gently caress paying another $50 after I just bought a codex.
Pretty much every summary of it's rules is less a summary and more a totality.

You only get the special rules/warlord traits/relics if you take one of these Formations or the Great Waaagh Detachment.

Special Rules:
+2 to Mob Rule rolls, wounds inflicted are 3+D3 instead of D6

Warlords from this detachment must issue/accept Challenges, if he wins he gets Shred for the rest of the battle.

Warlord Traits:
1 - Warlord has +1 BS
2 - Warlord has Crusader
3 - Warlord has Rage
4 - Warlord has Outflank
5 - One of the Warlord's weapons has Master Crafted, can't be a relic
6 - Warlord has FNP

There are 7 formations in the book:

Council of Waaagh - Ghaz, 2 Warbosses with +1 WS, Big Mek, Mad Doc, and a unit of Nobs with a Waaagh Banner. The Banner gets Fearless for the squad and units within 12" reroll leadership. Ghaz gets two extra Warlord Traits if he's Warlord.

Bully Boyz - 3 units of at least 5 Meganobs, get Fear, Fearless, and +1 WS

Blitz Brigade - 5 Battlewagons, gain Scout, guys inside can't charge turn one still

Vulcha Squad - Zagstruk and 3 units of Stormboyz, must Deep Strike, scatters only D6", Hammer of Wrath gains Shred, can all be one mega unit if you want to deepstrike 90 Stormboyz

Dread Mob - 2 Mork/Gorkanaughts, 2 Deff Dreads, 3 units of at least 3 Kans, Big Mek, Painboy, everything gains 'Ere We Go and Hammer of Wrath inflicts D3 hits

Red Skull Kommandos - Snikrot and 4 units of Kommandos, Snikrot must join one unit, all are in Reserves and come in together on the same table edge of your choosing, reroll cover saves on the turn they arrive if they don't shoot, Stealth upgraded to Shrouding on the turn they arrive

Green Tide - Warboss and 10 Boyz squads in a single unit worth 11 Kill Points and no Bikes or Trukks, Mob Rule wounds are allocated by the player instead of randomly (thank god, but you're going to give the Warboss the Fearless bosspole anyway), Hammer of Wrath on a 10" charge, gets to call a Waaagh every turn if the Warboss is your Warlord

Relics (only the 2 good ones)

Big Pole - Fearless, 20 points
Mega Force Field - 4++ KFF, 75 points

Great Waaagh Detachment:
1-2 HQ
2-8 Troops
1-5 Elites
0-3 Fast Attack
0-3 Heavy Support
0-1 Fortification
0-1 Lord of War

Command Benefits, Reroll Warlord trait from this book, Before deployment roll a D6 for every unit, on a 6+ they have Deep Strike, Troops have it on a 5+.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

You get unreliable Hammer of Wrath on your big units.

Yeah, not remotely worth losing ObSec for...

The only way I see it being useful is if you want 3 more HQs/Heavy Supports/Whatever and you're not allowed to take a second CAD. 100 points of Gretchin meatshields is the cost.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So wait, if you fail a leadership roll you'll always inflict between 4-6 wounds?

Luckily, most of the Formations from that book either are Fearless, have easy access to Fearless, or are Vehicles. You'll only really run into it with the Kommando formation.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Free Waaagh banner and no need to take Bosspoles makes it very tempting to. It's probably my favorite Formation in the book.

I just have to get ahold of 300 dollars worth of Meganobs...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Typhon looks like it's a much better tank than the Falchion in general - the Typhon cannon will just evaporate 7" circles off the board every turn. I'd say that's better than a D weapon. The Falchion will be much better at killing Superheavies, though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm a little iffy on how detachment work, do they have to be taken as allied detachments or can I claim the benefits if I meet the prereqs in my main force?

I think you mean Formations? They're fully separate detachments. An Allied Detachment is something different. See "Selecting Detachments" in the new rule book.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Volcano Cannon will allow a cover save, most of the time, so the effects will largely be mitigated. Barring a good invul save and/or T6+, nothing will save you from the Typhon cannon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

They'd be perfect for Warbosses/Ghazy, they're pretty huge.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You make the cover save before you roll how much damage it caused.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Ah, yeah, I wonder about that--I had a unit of Kanz get hit with a max-level destroyer hit--12 wounds/HP. I just figured all of them moved through all 3 Kanz, even though the Knight only got 1 hit.

No, there isn't any damage overflow. You could tank 12 wounds on a single model.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Soulfucker posted:

After taking some time off my Eldar to play an assault-oriented Tyranid list(:shepicide:) recently, I sometimes wonder which designer at GW made these rules and how much she or he must despise close combat in the 40k universe. What horrid tabletop trauma could possibly have caused this?

I think it was crazy powerful in 2nd? I know that 2nd edition mechanics are why GW still thinks 3 attacks are what makes a powerful close combat unit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ramuv posted:

Hey does anyone know where there is a battlescribe ork repository for the new codex? I can't seem to locate one. If one had been posted here earlier I missed it.

http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repos

This is the best, most up to date, repository.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Where did you buy a PDF from? GW doesn't sell one.

Ramuv posted:

Thank you MasterSlowPoke. Sadly no ork update yet. Hopefully one comes out soon. Hard to beat the convenience of battlescribe.

? It's on there.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It will run on a lot of systems, but it won't run on that 19th century spinning wheel in your living room.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. It's a Forgeworld unit which, depending on who you talk to, is either 100% legal or the worst thing since Dracula and how dare you even mention it at the gaming table you WAAC scrublord.

I'd say not without a FW update. Aren't they like 600 points?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

Can you ally in a single Knight without going Unbound? It seems like I'd need two to fill out the ally detachment but I've only glanced at the Knight book.

You don't use an Allied Detachment with Knights. A Knight Detachment has slots for 1-3 Imperial Knights of any kind.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I remember seeing a really good knockoff a few months ago, but I couldn't find it again. I'd like a set as they're going to become more common now.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Cross-post that poo poo already!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You guys are nuts that thing owns.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

It'd be nice, but since GW threw out their own fluff (again) by making them super best friends and Battle-Brothers, I highly doubt it. The only 'fluffy' rules they've done recently are Orks punching more Orks and 'Nids eating themselves the moment their babysitter looks the other direction.

They're battle brothers in that they make better allies than the damned Eldar.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

See, this is where descriptive text blended with rules makes things murky. The entry claims that each arm has a pair of claws, and then offers an entry for a claw. By the text, it would mean that it has four of them but I guess we can chalk it up to intention. It's like how a Maulerfiend has a pair of Magma Cutters in its entry, but only gets to use the profile of one. It's not like I'm ever going to field it ever anyway.

Non-walkers only get a single bonus attack regardless of how many weapons over the first they have.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Knights don't have a LoW slot, and there aren't any LoW with the Knights faction regardless.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Can Knight-Lancers be a IK warlord? The codex only says 'one Knight must be nominated' and doesn't specify what kind.

Is there a non 30k Lancer?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Moola posted:

Is that flag depicting an angel (Dark Angels) stabbing a viking longboat (Space Wolves)?

Because if so, that's pretty rad.

It looks like a serpent.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Creepy Goat posted:

I have absolutely zero rule books or codices lying around, does anyone know of good chapter tactics that'd work for Minotaurs? I know there's the official Badab ones but they're terrible.
Ultramarines are the greekest of the first founding chapters.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's not even an argument, it's just people not understanding how 7th edition unit entries work.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Orks aren't the only race that didn't get a points drop on their basic model. IIRC, Guardians and Fire Warriors both went up a point.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Is asking about sources for battle scribe considered warez? I promise to erase the ones I don't own.

Not in the slightest.

http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k is the best one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The troops won't have Objective Secured.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Wow, need some midol boon?
Ha, sick burn, Ignite Memories. He's like a woman, already the worst kind of creature, but also on her period, which makes her even worse! And gross!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Most tournaments limit you to two detachments, so you won't be able to have an ally and a murderpack.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

You do raise a good point. Since no new models are being released, they can't nerf anything to make new models better by comparison, right? Right? :ohdear:

They already don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

WOM used Hades Autocannons for his Psyflemen. It shouldn't be impossible to Imperialize them.

• Locked thread