Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

See the Dark Eldar wouldn't haven been super Dark yet. I mean it would only be a few hundred years since Slaanesh was born, so the whole formalized Pain = Slaanesh Distraction wouldn't be a full on thing just yet. Your Dark Eldar would probably be closer to the Crone World Eldar than they would their modern equivalents.

There's a short story in the first Horus Heresy collection called Wolf at the Door where the wolves encounter some fairly typical Dark Eldar shortly before loving off to attack Prospero, so I'd argue that Dark Eldar are fairly unchanged too, unless the author got it wrong which isn't outside possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They have not yet updated the psychic cards app for 7th ed :argh:

e: Richard Simmons waved at my hollywood tour bus.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 26, 2014

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's what I take it to mean, lists you'll see over and over with only minor alterations.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

I really wanted to imitate the very first episode of Metalocalypse where they are dropped from the sky their drop pod opens up to be their stage. On a serious note, though, I've seen people put lights and stuff in Rhinos and it always looks really good and easy.

As for Chaos Drop Pods, didn't they have them in Dawn of War?

Chaos got forgeworld's Dreadclaw, which at least used to have an outright chaosified version but isn't sold any more near as I can tell, and I can't speak for any current rules to use it. It's a shame because it was far more dethklok than the normal drop pod in that iirc it could stand back up and eat people.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Black Templars are a successor chapter of the fists, could be its a templar land raider dating from all the way back to their founding and they got lazy about painting it halfway through.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It's a pity these are not straight up called mycetic spores since (I think) the fiction mentions them by name.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Did they ever announce removing the earlier books from sale when they received 2nd editions? I don't recall that they did, so I'd not be so sure.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

If anything they should have more advanced technology as didn't the Dark Mechanicum, say gently caress you I'm out on Mars and stole a bunch of poo poo then corrupted everything?

They're also not afraid to innovate while the Imperium is stuck finding pre-existing STCs or the more radical/untouchable elements (such as the Space Marines) making variants of existing tanks at the most.

But then this innovation only results in hot garbage like the Defiler, so, not too much to crow about.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

New Guard book comes out: Chimeras are now heavy support choices, Guardsmen are maxed out at 10 guys a squad with no special weapons. Formation is released in WD that gives rough riders stealth and shrouded

Everybody sane: "Are you kidding me? What the hell am I going to do with all these extra Guardsmen and Chimeras I can't use?"

Hollismason: "But rough riders!"

Behold, the rare strawman in it's natural environment; an internet argument.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
People are melting down all over because blood angel assault marines no longer have Objective Secured? Could it be a necessary balance against a jump pack unit? Naw, it's Machiavellian GW Corporate twirling their mustache and rubbing their hands together over selling more marine-with-a-bolter kits! Hollismason is right, you lot are scared of change.

JerryLee posted:

It's not a strawman if it's a reasonably close analogy.

Ok, how about this one?

AbusePuppy posted:

All Cult troops moved to Heavy Support slot.

Heldrakes moved to Heavy Support slot.

Terminators moved to Heavy Support slot.

Chaos Spawn reverted to the 4E version.

Chaos Lords removed from the codex without explanation.

BUT AT LEAST YOU'VE GOT FORMATIONS I DON'T SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS GEEZ GUYS JUST BUY SIX OF THE NEW DOOMBLOOD DESTROYER KIT AND TWO BOXES OF OBLITERATORS AND THEY CAN ALL DEEP STRIKE AND REROLL MISSES SO THAT'S BASICALLY THE SAME THING AS THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN ARMY YOU USED TO RUN.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cataphract posted:

Necessary balance argument is totally valid. It still sucks a bag of dicks that I can't play with my stuff anymore.

But you can.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Jesus loving Christ. gently caress you.

Quoting this so you can't erase it when you realize what a humongous rear end in a top hat you are.

I think you need to have a nice cup of tea and a bit of a lie down, away from the internet.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Giger used animal bones when he made the first alien costume :shrug:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

JFC that thing is $180 in NZ
That's just over a quarter of a Smaug

It's almost 2/3rds of the cost of a forgeworld bloodthirster, which for my money is so much better.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Gonna go disembowel some soft toys for warham wreck markers brb

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What's the story with, say, blood slaughterers (from forge world) running with khorne daemonkin? They're allowed in daemons and the chaos marines codexes, but could I reasonably expect to swing going as far to have them in the blood host detachment, or even in a normal detachment?

They're khorne as gently caress, but then kharne and the Fleshhound character Karanak aren't in either.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

1 USD = 1.25 AUD := 36 USD = 45 AUD. Over 20 bucks for shipping and taxes must be killer.

It's a little better than that, that's the NZ store. $17USD in shipping and taxes.

For NZ, games workshop is getting really close to forgeworld prices. $17USD extra for a forge world leman russ over one from the GW store.

At least independent stores have stuff for 15% less :unsmith:.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 24, 2015

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I noticed something. Is it just me or are the new legs for the lord of skulls kit suspiciously bereft of khorne symbols?

Maybe forgeworld has plans to make equivalent torso pieces for the other gods? I can see those legs being used with slaanesh and tzeentch at least.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What's Khorne Daemonkin got that's good for popping vehicles, especially Imperial Knights?

Everyone at my club seems to have lots and lots of vehicles and transports, and my 4(!) maulerfiends don't cut the mustard. What's happening is they bubblewrap the knights with transports that have melta squads inside or grav-cannons immobilize the fiends. On the off chance I get two fiends into b2b with the knight, as happened today, he strikes first and mulches one, the 2nd fails to deliver and gets mulched by the stomp. Could've been just bad rolls on my part, since I stripped 3 of his hull points.

Might not help that my bloodthrister uses the forgeworld model (it's bigger and easier to LOS but looks so cool) and gets shot off the board turn 1 while the obligatory slaughtercult troops slog their way up getting ignored until the big gribblies get shot to poo poo, with the sole exception of my soulgrinder's phlem cannon taking the odd pot shot. It also doesn't help that I feel filthy for spamming 4(!) maulerfiends, though my losing streak lessens that. I'm not sure how well what's popular on the internet, chaos spawn with a lord on a juggernaught/bunch of fleshhounds, would help at all against the vehicles. I could ally in some chaos renegades (traitor imperial guard) from the 13th forgeworld book, so that's an option, although they lack vendettas which is the most vehicle popping thing that comes to mind when I think imperial guard.

Here's the gist of my list at 1500 points:
Bloodthirster, the 250 point one.
2x8 Bloodletters
1x5 Possessed
2x8 cultists
4 maulerfiends w/magma cutters
1 soulgrinder w/phlem

Sometimes I'll swap out 2 of the maulerfiends for blood slaughterers (their actual models) on a battleforged FOC with a bare chaos lord and the two cultists. Same price, less mobility and no magma cutters but av13.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 30, 2015

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

And I didn't realize my opinion on the razorgor was so contentious. It's a bad model. :c00lbert:

It's not the best model, but it's not on the same level as old nagash.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Is that new? He looks like Anthony Hopkins as Odin. That's enough reason to pay $30.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

The new Space Marine codex has brought it home for me - we have cheaper terminators, access to Grav, better scouts, better stormtalons... And none of this is going to be FAQ'd for the other codexes.

They could FAQ it...or they could sell more copies of the next new codex when people scramble for them to get the hot new cheap terminators et al. Sales by way of codex creep.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The wings on my Hell Talon were curved more than a banana, and the two sides ended up asymmetrical when adding pieces that bridged across to the middle piece (so I only found out after already pinning the bajeezus out of it).

SRM posted:

Nurgle's been the go-to for Chaos for the last few editions now. Having extra attacks or an invuln save is neat and all, but situational. Having a boost to Toughness is on the other hand always useful.

What about the prevalence of weapons that straight up ignore cover reducing the Nurgle daemons stealth'n'shrouded to poo poo? At least on the Daemon side of things. They're likely still fine as chaos marines.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It might be I'm doing something wrong with bending the resin, but the problem wasn't getting them straight, it was keeping them straight. These flyers are all about their sharp, aggressive, straight lines and it took about 8 hours across two weeks putting them under hot water, bending, then cold water, then into the freezer, then back to the hot water, bending them far the opposite way in the hopes it'll not bend back so far this time, into the freezer it goes etc etc until it was straight and not resetting to a slightly bent position every time two hours later.

Just checking it now, 6 months later, fucker's wings aren't straight again.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Definitely no khorne symbols on the khorne daemon engine legs, just like I noticed when they first appeared. Calling it now, forgeworld's going to produce torsos to make an equivalent for all 4 gods. One other possibility is GW prime will make skulldozer equivalents for other gods that just happen to fit on those legs, which I'm doubtful of.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Might another company take up the reigns of fantasy 8th ed like pathfinder did d&d 3rd ed? That would dissuade any 40k end times shenanigans (at least with the rules) because if there's anything GW hates its other companies benefitting from their mistakes,

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Or a decimator, looks the right size.

The maulerfiend spare legs compliment the aesthetic of the dv dread really well, that's an idea worth stealing.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2015

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Khorne Daemonkin codex talks about how one of the warbands attacks an imperial fortress that is in the path of a hive fleet, so that they can harvest the biggest and best tyranid skulls for Khorne from the benefit of entrenched positions they didn't need to build. That's a scenario where you could have any (surviving) imperial force fighting alongside Chaos against a common enemy.
Was a bit the same (except more silly) with the story of blood angels teaming up with necrons to fight off tyranids, but that's been cemented in the allies matrix. That's the angle to come at with these weirder combinations, a bigger common enemy. Demons and Grey Knights is a bit of a loving stretch but even then you could swing some eldar farseer did it.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Guess they didn't have any sisters of battle blood handy.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Blatant modelling for advantage, shortened for less LOS.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What if you really like the look of metal with black and yellow hazard stripe trim?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Alternatively: go chaos, bring be'lakor, have guaranteed invisibility, beat them at their own game :getin:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wait, Robert Muldoon? Like the ex-NZ Prime Minister? Are you in New Zealand BuffaloChicken?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh balls, should've known. I googled the name to double check and everything, but being NZ google it's shamefully biased away from jurassic park.
I was thrumming with the excitement of seeing your amazing stuff in person.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
My thinking didn't get that far. Maybe he'd enact a "think big" policy and ineffectually snipe at the knight.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Holy poo poo. That's an expensive loving heldrake.

Might be he used the bloodthirster body and wings from the zombie dragon to convert up a Skarbrand before the official one was released.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In what sane universe does an Ork flyer look infinitely more airworthy than a space marine one? That thing looks to have 1/10th of the lift surfaces of the ork jet. And what ever happened to the imperial navy? Why not make an interceptor in plastic that space marines, admech and AM can have, or do marines need to be able to wear every hat now?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I am so confused right now.

For decades now, I've viewed Eldar as just unoriginal "elves in space" (the irony of my first army being orks being completely lost on me) but holy poo poo, that trailer. The Banshees, the wraithbone building they're standing in, the close up of her hand, the small detailing underneath the head of the wraithknights. That's straight up Beksinski, and is such a loving cool take on Eldar.

I haven't the foggiest how to replicate that texture in 40k scale with paints, else I'd start an Eldar army tomorrow.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 3, 2016

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
One thing to keep in mind with that cinematic trailer, it is almost certainly done by a separate company. They might receive direction from the art director for the game, but a lot of the smaller details will be of their own invention, such as the silly thin Space Marine upper legs encased in a solid tube. The Beksinski thing with the art direction and dream sequence, on the other hand, is such a large part of the trailer it must have gone past the eyeballs of the game art director, so there's hope for that.

Source: once attended a talk from a guy who's company did the DoW2 trailer, who personally animated the dread burning the poo poo out of the banshee. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It would be natural for other marines to speculate that the Emperor has space marine organs like gene seeds in him, everyone being keen that they were created in god's image and all that.

Along those lines, if we only ever had 30k to go off of and 40k never existed to tell us he was a corpse that needs thousands of human sacrifices a day to not die, wouldn't the emperor be the Ultimate bullshit freakin' Mary Sue? Taller than a Primarch, no decent true origin to explain how he suddenly appeared on earth one day and kicked everyone's rear end, the Biggest and Best psyker who was SO SHOCKED that his fav. son Horus would attack him (even after witnessing Horus kill the blood angel primarch) that he let Horus - a guy who was already the beastest of the Primarches and on top of that was supercharged by all four chaos gods to boot - beat the poo poo out of him for a while and only struck him down at the very last minute?

• Locked thread