Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

Correctly anatomically modeled, brother?

We got all the way to page 4 before a penis sheath reference, I think we're doing pretty well this time around.

Can Daemons ICs join battle-brother squads and visa versa in 7th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Looks like they added Fast back to a whole pile of BA vehicles that lost it with the first FAQ

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have extra Catachan heads sitting around?

Yep I can hook you up with some, including bandana ones. I'm in Australia though, so someone local might be better but PM me if you don't get any better options.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

They even took eviscerators away from priests in the AM codex.

Smash is basically mechanically the same as well, it's an odd choice.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

There are the Helbrute data slates so you can fit a ridiculous number of them in. Throw in some cultists for your FOC and use a Helbrute MurderFistPackSkullBlood Strikeforce or whatever it is called

quote:

A Helfist Murderpack consists of the following models:
- 5 Helbrutes

Pretty much the most 40k unit description

Karandras fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 9, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I've always found it a bit interesting that Forgeworld get a pass on their prices because they're a 'luxury', despite the entire game being a 'luxury' to begin with.

They're more niche and smaller scale, plus also their prices seem so much more fair, as an Australian, because everyone in the world pays the same price for their Forgeworld stuff.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Cataphract posted:

I'm going to be touring with my band in the UK in August and September and have a week off at the end of August so I was planning on bringing an army and making the trip to warhammer world.

How'd you go with that Logie thing anyway?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

FFA is kinda dumb in almost every game but if you implement a sort of "Only score from the person on your left" rule it works out a lot better, means you've got one person to attack and one to defend from and it discourages the terrible politics of FFA a little.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I like FFA, its a fun change of pace. If your friends can't handle poo poo talking I can see it being a bad game mode (or just get better friends)

I might try your idea though, sounds a bit neat

It's not so much poo poo talking but that half the time it ends up being 2v1 and someone sits out. Having to defend your objective from one guy whilst attacking the other stops a single dude getting man-piled by both players early, though good terrain and deployment can also help it.

Multiplayer games are good but true FFA often makes it way more the meta-game of getting your opponent to attack your other opponent rather than, you know, the game of 40k. If you constantly play tall-poppy though and focus on whoever is winning and change when they stop winning it can be good though.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Cataphract posted:

And Australian award wages vary by industry but the minimum wage (from July 1st) will be $640 per week.

Just a big chunk of my Word Bearers army (sans cultists) shipped from Nanjing for half of that, p much owns.

Got a heap of these to use as Helbrutes, think the sizing is fine?

1500pts for me is a stupidly expensive Khorne Zealot, a squad of Terminators (Cataphractii), two Predators (old school), a Helcult (1 Helbrute + 20 cultists) then another 30 or so cultists for troops, then allied in Karanak, 10 Bloodletters, 10 Fleshhounds + a Skullcannon.

Might end up switching to Crimson Slaughter and adding in Possessed to take advantage of the skullcannon even more.

Using this badboy as a multimelta, might paint it all hot and fire looking like some sort of heat laser.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 17, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Just auto-censor any insults into fluff-appropriate equivalents.

If you use a single flagged word it just replaces your entire message with
"Show me what passes for fury among your misbegotten kind!"
"Oi, we is gonna crump you"

Or some alien characters/roaring noises

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Noo, gently caress you, I put up with this poo poo for like 10 years and I'm not even entertaining the notion that we are going to have ANOTHER one of these stupid arguments in the new book. Especially since I literally just converted up a loving GORGEOUS tankbusta nob with a powerklaw and a kickass custom grenade launcher yesterday.

I am in NO MOOD.

sorry dude, might as well just play Unbound all Masters of Ordnance or some homebrew woman tiger space marines you found on deviant art. You're out of the RAW ZONE now, buddy

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I think with Chapter Traits in the main Space Marine book giving so much value and variation they're going to have a hard time making a BA codex that stands out enough. Black Rage, Apothecaries as elites, Fast vehicles, jump packs on Honour Guard and that's really it.
If they included some Successor Chapters though that'd be great. Flesh Tearers getting nastier Black Rage, Lamenters having control over the downsides of Black Rage but suffering bad luck/ally penalties, maybe? You'd only need a little side bar with two or three variants for it to be a neat option and avoids the whole "you need your chapter master to get your chapter traits" flaw of last edition.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

What sort of new SW models though? A couple of special characters and idk some wolves? I imagine they'll do a new transport for them, perhaps. A small and cheap assault transport could be interesting though it might just bring back the horrors of Rhino Rushing

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Exinos posted:

Sorry, Flesh Tearers and Lementers are each an individual data slate that can be ordered with the limited edition codex for day 1 access or may be available as separate purchases at a later date.

Actually yeah gently caress they are perfect Supplement Codices. Just rip 40 pages from some Forgeworld and Black Library books books, write up a Warlord traits table, four or so relics, a few buffs and restrictions and bam, that'll be $50 thanks (per book).

I really feel bad for Dark Angels, if SW get a unique flyer that isn't awful then that'll just rub it in even more.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

IA army lists are like codexes. Army list creation is actually rather simple, just different from how it worked before.

Oh, you can have as many allies as you like? I was thinking of doing my Word Bearers as:

Word Bearers Primary Detachment
Daemon Allies
Crimson Slaughter Allies
Aegis Line Fortification
Helbrute Dataslate

And it fits in 1500 pts, what a wacky world we live in

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

This I can live with. The rest is cheesy, minmaxy, beardy poo poo that shouldn't ever have made the presses. :colbert: :rolldice:

Helcult is cheesy? My list is a handful of Cataphractii armoured Word Bearers and a heap of cultists, the Helbrute is one of those Forgeworld Blood Slaughterer daemon engine things. Going for a slightly Khorne themed 40k Word Bearer's list but with clean neat 30k models.

The Crimson Slaughter allies is a Sorceror with the Daemon relic and Possessed squad I've got planned for those new Gal Vorbak models. Demonology summoning stuff, but all Khorne daemons, none of this chain summoning tzeentch stuff.

Aegis line is a converted Blood Cannon or whatever the chariot gun is, crewed by Bloodletters (Khorne is the God of War, not the God of Swords after all).

It's an objectively bad army and isn't even slightly cheesy, it's incredibly thematic and an even balance of unit types so geez judge not a goon by the names of their detachments.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Miruvor posted:

What type of rules for Kill Team get used, or where are they available? I've been interested in trying it out.

The dataslate rules are what we use. The Heralds of Ruin stuff looks interesting but it's no where near as simple as the official dataslate ones. Plus it seems the Heralds of Ruin allows Terminator armour and a couple of other things that're probably frustrating to play against.

The dataslate adds the lists for USRs etc but the general rules are:

0-2 Troops
0-1 Elites
0-1 FA

200pts

No 2+ saves, no vehicles over 33 AV, no flyers, no deep striking. All models count as units of 1. Brotherhood of Psykers/Sorcerors is not in use.

Highest LD guy rolls on special warlord table, three other non-vehicles get a USR from a list.

There are some abuseable things like Deathmarks, Swooping Hawks etc but for a friendly game system they aren't hard to veto. The Heralds of Ruin one seems fine but list creation is a lot more Necromunda and complex than the dataslate rules.

edit: Yeah, all the KTs I've seen in this thread would be illegal via the HoR rules, since they have 0-3 restrictions not allowing you to just take A Sternguard Squad as your army. You also can't field all bikes or all jump packs or whatever, which might make for a more balanced game but come on guys a sternguard squad is a perfect Kill-Team, that should be legal.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 7, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Moola posted:

We don't bother with the weird restrictions like no 2+ saves and limited FoC. (Because gently caress you I want to take 5 wolf scouts and 2 lone wolves).

I can get the 2+ save restriction wanting stuff to not be super tough but uh you can still field Nurgle marked bikers so pretty sure that's tougher. In fact, bikes in general are ridic amazing in KT.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Converting up my Blood Slaughterer, going to use this as a multi-melta arm instead of the Impaler gun, what do you think?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

That looks rad as hell, I like it! What's the actual arm from?

Thanks! The basic arm is from there, I just added in the gun barrel from a Devildog and move the harpoon head to just sit around melta shroud and look a bit more chaosy. Going to counts-as a basic 100pt Helbrute for my Helcult, shame you can't bling them out a bit more with daemonic possession or marks but I think AV12 even with a 3+ cover save is a bit fragile to add in a power scourge and heavy flamer.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

The answer is gently caress yes. Looks great man!

I always wanted to get one of those models for my chaos army, but now with 30k, I have too many other toys to get.

Cheers! I think I mentioned this a while back but in that same order I got three Deimos Predators, some Daemons and a squad of Caraphractii Terminators, I'm making a 40k army with 30k models so you could totally do the same.

The Blood Slaughterer miniature is great though the legs are a bit fiddly. Honestly the amount of flash and cleaning I had to do was really minimal and my Actual Forgeworld miniatures I've bought in the past were a lot more of a hassle to put together.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Since we're discussing alternatives to GW , does anyone have some recommendations for maybe some Daemon models?

I've asked before but not really found much.

http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=259

I used these for my Flesh Hounds and they're great

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Irate Tree posted:

I was looking at turning those into Khymerae but they didn't feel 'doggy' enough =S

Really? They look super doggy. We call them "doom dogs" in our group.

VVVV Is that 500 or 599? VVVV

Karandras fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 9, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Direwolf posted:

The crisis suits just seemed really flimsy, even with all the drone ablatives. Suggestions?

Crisis Suits versus Wraithcannon as your basic weapon does seem like a rough matchup, if you had bolters or shuricats on your troops choices maybe it'd be different?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, I've got my own Forgeworld Hydra that's covered in giant blocks of excess resin and has two or three moderate miscasts I'll have to touch up and I just accosted how that was, but I've got a Chinaforge Contemptor and Blood Slaughterer, which re both complex kits, and they're clean and perfect.

I'm on to the daemon part of my Word Bearers though and I'm wondering how big I should make it, at the moment it's Karnak, big blob of Flesh Hounds, minimal Bloodletters and a skull cannon, but Juggernauts are awesome models. Think I'll have fun adding another allied contingent or even flipping it around so it's Daemon base book plus Word Bearers allies? Bloodletters seem pretty uninspiring, mechanically.

Basically just asking if Khorne Daemons is a moderately effective and fun lists, I've never played against it and some of it seems pretty weak but who knows. It doesn't need to be super powerful but I do want to actually get to melee and win some fights

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You'd have to make some concessions with your opponents because I think the Word Bearers need to be the primary attachment. Khorne is okay and + Word Bearers would make enemy psyker's really unhappy but I think you get more out of bringing in a bunch of Legion troops/ Gal Vorbak and just use Fleshhounds et al to spam the midfield.

Oh, 40k Word Bearers, sorry, purely a thematic thing, nothing mechanically different because lol no legion troops

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Those are rad as hell Thousand Sons. I've always had a soft spot for them but been too much of a filthy power-gaming win-haver to actually field them. They look awesome though!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

These two facts are very likely related, FYI.

That's such a shame. Five years ago when I managed a FLGS type place in Perth we would frequently trade stock with the local GW whenever we were out of stock. If it was a big release or there was some delay we'd just loan each other a half dozen starters or codices whatever and just trade them back when our shipment came in. I wonder if that was just a personal thing or if there's more of a competitive culture now.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

SRM posted:

Fall of Malvolion, by Dan Abnett. It rules, and it's about the Lamenters, the saddest chapter.

Yep, I've got a full drop pod + air support Lamenters army with that as the theme. Really good piece of fluff.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Looks like a shoe box.

It is basically a rectangle. I wonder if they'll go full Dark Angels and it'll be essentially a Stormraven with a hull gun for 400pts or if it'll be playable aka Not-Dark Angels

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

What is Helfrost even good against? Why multi wound models have low S? I guess eat poo poo battlesuits?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

LordAba posted:

S6 Ap3 blast? S8 Ap1 shot? A 1/6 chance of completely removing a monstrous creature? A 1/3 chance of removing something that is S4 (nobs, a lot of ICs)? Completely useless!

Keeping in mind if it's T3 or lower it'll be Instant Death'd anyway, and if it's T4 then the lance will ID as well. It's not that it's useless, it's more that it's almost functionally identical to the myriad of "Instant Death on a 6" mechanics already out there. It's just mechanically uninspiring.

I get that they thought a S test is neat and thematic but it's basically just fail on a six all but exclusively.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Sir Teabag posted:

I dug up some old third ed Blood Angels stuff I had and was wondering if I could make any sort of viable army or allied detachment out of this? It would be allying with Guard.

Mephiston
Some commander with a jump pack
A captain of some sort with a melta gun
2 tac squads w/ missile launcher and flamer
1 Devestator squad (Multi-melta, lascannon, plasma cannon, heavy bolter)
Assault squad with jump packs
Metal furioso dreadnought
Rhino
Chaplain(? One of those dudes with the skull masks)
Death Company - all metal with bolt pistols and chain swords
Terminators with power fists and storm bolters

If you're looking for Guard Allies you could take your Death Company (troops choice) and Chaplain (Elite or HQ), as a thematic and pretty killy unit. The Death Co have rage, FNP and reroll to hit and wound on the charge with the Chaplain. Then one or two of whatever else interests you. Tac Squads aren't that useful if you're guard, but if you stick the assault squad full of melta it could be a neat option to storm troopers, as Blood Angels get deep strike rerolls.

I hear old metal dreads are best used for throwing during games store tantrums

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you have only one drop pod in your army, can you decide if it drops on the first turn or if you hold it in reserves?

Half on the first turn, rounding up. So it drops. Pretty neat for a melta squad or whatever

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Sister of battle bare head and claim all your helmeted marines are also women

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

This is from a few pages back but when people say "Good, but overcosted" when describing a model, well, that means it isn't good? Points cost is easily the most vital factor in how good a unit is.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

re: Tau and Necrons, is the Dawnblade still implied to be a Necrontyr artefact?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Back when the local store in Perth was in Raine Square they would always push whatever was selling poorly, usually Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle. We used to play a game where you take someone new into the store and get them
to describe a 40k army and see whether you'd be recommended Sisters or Dark Eldar. Along the lines of;
"Hey, I'm thinking of getting into 40k"
"Sweet; what sort of Sci Fi stuff do you like?"
"I like big gribbly aliens, like hordes of little scrabbling guys and maybe a couple of big really alien guys, lots of claws and fangs"
"Oh wow you'd really love Dark Eldar. They're evil spiked aliens, plenty of little foot infantry plus flying tanks covered in scythes and claws. Just what you'd like"

It was beautiful. No matter how precisely you'd describe another 40k faction they'd pick up something that tied it into Dark Eldar or Sisters every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It has too many curved surfaces to really go well with the Blood Angles.

MasterSlowClap

SoftDrink posted:

What are some funny things we can put in a Space Wolf drop pod. You could go with a Guard special weapons team with 3 Demo charges, a pod of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, and a pod of Bullgryns.

It's pretty solid with Sisters of Battle and a heap of special weapons!

• Locked thread