Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I hope it can carry Kanz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Cataphract posted:

I love that the new meganobz don't seem to be too much of a departure from the old ones so they'll blend nicely in an army of mixed models.

Is this a joke or am I just an rear end in a top hat for laughing haha

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I will really hate it if they bring back the extra wounds on losing combat thing. That was the one thing I absolutely detested in 5th as an Ork player and if they bring it back especially for me, fuuuuuuck that.

Orks are the last investment I have in this hobby and it will really kill my interest.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

If they do a good job with Dark Eldar I might be dragged back in...

:negative:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I'm with you guys. You can't beat airbrushing for basecoats and basic blends but I hate the blurry colour lines and lack of sharpness that comes with airbrushing from start to finish. Bugs me even on larger minis where you would think it wouldnt be an issue.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

In classic "we made a kit and then forced an awkward variant onto the same chassis" design, the Stormwolf variant looks a lot better and makes a lot more sense.

edit:

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 21, 2014

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

FWIW, the Stormwolf apparently holds 15, not 6.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I served a cappuccino to Kirsten O'Brian and ate lunch on the table next to Inspector Morse' sidekick. Thats all I got.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

WOM, both the Orks and the Tzeentch own bones. Good job to both of you.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I'd love to ask Dan Abnett what he thinks about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie doing so well.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I haven't played since 5th Edition but a friend is starting up some Orks so I'm getting back into it with him. I've been following releases from outside the game but I'm having a real hard time deciding what to go for. I would have stuck with Orks but I don't want to cramp his style. I guess the goal is to introduce him to the game in a fun way whilst ending up with a cool, workable force for myself. I guess I'd be learning the game over again too.

Narrowed it down to a few choices, guess I'm looking for some advice since I'm out of touch.

1) The Third Eye, Chaos Space Marines. Tzeentch leaning but ultimately undivided. No egyptian iconography, but definite sorcery and demonology involved. I'm drawn to these because I love the Dark Vengeance chosen and the demonforge aspect of CSM. Offers me the most leeway in terms of conversions and modelling opportunities. Wide variety of units to play around with as I can incorporate Daemon stuff to mix it up. Get to play around with the Psychic phase. Downsides are that Tzeentch demon and regular CSM models are rubbish. Is a list with few actual marines workable? If I'm gonna convert everything I don't want to make 40 dudes.

2) Dark Eldar. Ive got a few unassembled Dark Eldar units kicking around from before I went on hiatus and I still love the hellraiser fleshcrafting S&M aesthetics. The speed, deep striking and shooting all appeal to me. The Coven supplement seems to add some cool stuff too. Wide variety of units to play around with and great modelling opportunity along with pretty much all of the models being baller to start with. Every time I see a well painted Dark Eldar army I get a twinge of desire. People seem to be pretty upset with the new codex however and they don't get involved in the psychic phase. Could be a frustrating re-introduction to the gaming aspect?

3) Necrons. I like the aesthetic and a lot of the models are great. Ghost Ark, Shield Lych Guard, Triarch, Immortals, Flyers are all beautiful. New codex seems quite powerful and would probably be a decent "beginner" army. Don't really inspire me from a conversion standpoint and again no psychics. Feel like they will get stale on the tabletop with the slow, durable, good at shooting archetype. Worried my friend won't have as much fun fighting against them.

4) Black Templars + Inquisition. I love Inquisitors and burning people first, asking questions later. I can only worship the Emperor if I take it to a ridiculous, over the top zealousness. Would have a hell of a lot of fun modelling the infantry but I just can't get inspired by space marines on the tabletop. Bored of the Rhino chassis but Dreadnoughts are cool. Feel like all the fun in this one is in the modelling and the gaming will be flat.

I dunno! I've been swimming in this for a few days now and I'm just paralyzed by choice. Help me goons.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

So I'm gonna make my Immortals with Tesla because Tesla was a cool dude and I want to salvage the gauss rods to convert my warriors with. How bad an idea is this now that Tesla is nerfed and Gauss is buffed?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Not a fan of the Mechanicum stuff. I'm almost relieved, thought that was gonna cost me a fortune. Always been a sucker for the meks and techs of the world but these aren't low-tech enough for me. Robo Ostrich Knights? I'm out.

edit: the dudes are alright i guess

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 24, 2015

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

The correct answer in this specific case is Mournfang Brown on the rims and under the Agrellan.

Also a drybrush of bone on the actual crackles. And paint it on thicker.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 27, 2015

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I literally scoop it on and push it around with my brush. I want thick, thick layer. It goes against everything that you know.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Uroboros posted:

Lol, so this poo poo just makes a nice cracked earth all by itself, with minimal dry brushing required to highlight the cracks? So I can throw these little bowls of rocks and sand outside?

If you like that base it was literally

1) Paint base mournfang brown
2) Liberally apply agrellan earth
3) Wait an hour
4) Drybrush off-white

I'll use it on my Orks but ill keep my sand for when I want to paint something that isnt racing around on a desert plain.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I hope the full Mechanicus codex brings some more rad ( :v: ) vehicle stuff because Ive fallen in love with the Rangers and Ruststalkers and fluff but can't get on board with the walkers released so far.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Does anyone have pics of those kickin' rad bone and turquoise Dark Eldar that some goon painted a while back? They had pink accents and were gorgeous, particularly the Scourges.

I didn't save them to my inspiration folder and now I can't find them. :negative:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Richyp. Or something like that. His avatar is a tank Busta nob eating a rokkit. That is the goon you are looking for. He might have his posts back in the old painting thread.

Yessss. Thanks, thats the dude.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

so basically stay away from eldar

too bad space marines don't have much >24" shooting

Luckily Space Marines are coming out soon so that will be fixed real quick like.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

How to make Dark Eldar interesting and fun:

Make all the weird leadership and fear stuff actually affect Space Marines. Don't worry about the cheque GW you can have that one for free.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

richyp posted:

(Hi Hams)

I realise this was from a while back but did you find the images? If not I managed to find a couple of pictures of them on my old laptop. These are from a few years ago, I also did some Necrons in a very similar scheme as well (one trick pony)

Hope they were the ones you meant.

I did find them but they deserve a repost because they are fully sick. So beautiful.

RIP Dheneb Stone *pours out a 12ml*

edit: Robots are dumb but I might turn those tracked dudes into Iron Warrior Obliterators someday,

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

This is good but it could be so much better. Its also why I will play Orks forever, no matter what.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Its a Landrhinoraven

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

If they release a combined Ad Mech codex then I am in trouble. The Skitarii, Ruststalkers and the Dominus are gorgeous and the only thing that has kept me strong is the scoffing at the split codex and the lovely Kastelan robots. Now they've released the Start Collecting boxes and I'm finding myself planning out Kastelan conversions so I'm probably hosed.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Pierzak posted:

What, no Tzeentch imagespam? :nallears:

Prospero Burns.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

How badly has the rise of recasters impacted the resale price of legit FW?

I've got an unpainted Ork Mega Dread and Warboss on bike I'm looking to shift and I want to know how much to expect.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Ghost Hand posted:

hahah I laughed, I cried... I still enjoyed the three minutes.

Did she enjoy it too though?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Dark Sphere is a lot cheaper for us brits.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

You're not. It's a raider kit with an extra sprue (that costs 12 bucks).

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Someone call me when I can buy the old Horrors, thanks.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I want AoS to turn into a good (enough) game because the Undead are rad and I want to buy Nagash and a mortis engine and lots of cool skellies and some spooky ghosts

Maybe by second or third edition?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Pre painted isn't really a thing outside of buying stuff second hand from eBay. What you will find though is a whole host of painting commission services where you send them unpainted minis, pay a fee and they send them back painted. Or they'll buy the minis and include that in the price.

It can get fairly expensive depending how high in quality you want them but most offer scalable levels.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Ahriman is sweet and the Tzaangor are pretty decent but the rest are all straight legged suckas. No motion whatsoever.

I'm big into Tzeentch but I was never a fan of the Rubric concept so I guess these are only half aimed at me. I hate the way everyone makes Tzeentch armies all about Egypt in the same kind of way I hate that people always make Slaaneshi armies about tits. It just chooses to remove a great section of their patron's personality in order to laser focus on one aspect. Just something that irrationally grinds my gears.

Edit: Wanna go back and praise that Ahriman some more. Displays movement, intensity, brooding. And not a scarab or khopesh in sight.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 19, 2016

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

General Tzeentch stuff isn't all Egypty, it's just Thousand Sons.

I know, but find a tzeentch army on the internet that isn't. Trust me, I've tried. That's what I was complaining about, people just love to go all in on it.

Note: I realise that peeps do what they want with their armies, that's just like, my opinion man

I also don't understand how anyone can like the terminators. Even the walking ones look like they don't articulate at the knees. All I can imagine is them walking stiff legged and it makes me chuckle

Edit: apparently unpopular opinions itp

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 19, 2016

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I was talking 40k yeah and Tzeentch daemons doesn't count but I obviously didn't literally mean zero ever. I concede the point for the sake of the thread, however.

The point I was making is that I resent the Egyptian thing for hijacking the themes in too aggressive a way. I also liked space wolves better when they were space vikings and not literally wolves but I guess I just need to accept that some themes are just s little too on the nose for me as time marches on.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

ijyt posted:

"Find me a tzeentch army but tzeentch doesn't count"

:psyduck:

The context was tzeentch marines but don't worry about it, I was wrong, you were right, well done.

I regret saying 'find me....' because you seem to be hung up on that as a challenge rather than the point I was trying to make.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Sephyr posted:

This is true, but ever since Daemonology became a thing the number of models on the table has been elastic. You can turn warp charges into whole squads if that's what you want, so giving a unit this ability is not that weird. And this time, at least it's fluffy.

Basically, it comes down to player's choice. Those with models to spare and who like to clog the table can make that option easier, of course.

This just in: Tzeentch players can turn warp charges into squads of Pink Horrors, double dipping the model requirement

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Holy poo poo that Sisters model is perfect. Such a good representation of the old blanche artwork. It appeals to me almost directly.

Gonna end up getting scalped on eBay after Christmas I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

Personally I just want them to bring back the thing where Fearless doesn't magically protect you from being utterly crushed in combat but instead of breaking you just lose wounds according to how much they lost by. Do the same to marines who get swept.

This brutally punishes horde armies with low saves though and actually makes marines stronger in the overall meta. As someone who played Orks during this period, gently caress that noise.

Of course they don't really get fearless these days (do they? I don't even know anymore) but still.

• Locked thread