Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
The Devs Are Really Getting Upset At You And Are Going To Have A Meltdown On Stream™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
On the bright side you can RMT your attuned account and make money doing it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GhostBoy posted:

Assuming the figure of "this has happened twice" stands, than someone earlier in the thread claimed, and going by the number of update notes on the forums being somewhere in the vicinity of 35, "more often than not" is a tad overstated.

I know nothing about Carbines internal QA, like the rest of the thread, but I know coding complex systems, and you'd be surprised what can slip through even very good QA setups, especially when we are talking something as complex and massive as an MMO. Don't pretend every MMO ever has not had their fair share of horrible exploits that seem obvious in hindsight.

More often than not, an update includes one or more extremely major bugs. In the case of the ultra-drops, these include pretty much everything reported on the PTR. I can't remember the last time we had a release that didn't break as much as it fixed. If things were fixed in a timely manner, I guess it wouldn't bug me, but stuff just kind of lingers until the next ultra-drop where the listed fix either doesn't fix anything or breaks yet more stuff. Half the time the weekly drop breaks are of the "you didn't actually run this in a test environment" variety (like the time they made a big deal out of rolling out a report spam button, but it didn't work at all, just threw a lua error, and they also accidentally rolled out a confirm dialog for delete mail, but not the loc strings for that same dialog), and hell, on a previous weekly drop, something that wasn't even listed as changed in the patch notes broke, and the guy responsible got on the forums and said "Oh yeah sorry about that, I did the fix but nobody told me it was going out so I didn't put it in the patch notes, also that thing that broke, we developed a fix and I don't know why it didn't go out."

In the most recent patch, they cut trigger fingers' effect on utility spells in half. The rollout of the fix included the following bugs:
- One of our healing amps stopped working for random tiers of random spells
- Every charged ability started using the highest charge's CDs if you cast the ability at any charge while spellsurged
- In the UI, they applied the nerf to assault spells instead of utility spells, so utility spells come off cd visually way before they're actually castable, assault spells come off cd way after they're actually castable, and if you get clever and cast an assault spell before it comes off cd visually, then it won't refresh the cd and so it will appear to be castable when it's not.

All of these bugs were reported on the PTR a month ago, they all went live two weeks ago, only one has since been fixed at all (the amp).

I don't know what kind of mickey mouse operation you work in, but I'm also a software developer, and everywhere I see evidence of sick code, sick processes, and sick organization. This is not how software companies are supposed to look or act, and normalizing this level of failure speaks pretty badly of you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kaynorr posted:

It feels like Carbine has decided they have no choice but to rebuild the plane in flight. A serious rebuilding of the QA infrastructure would probably be a big postponement to all the content they have in the pipeline, which they probably think would be just as bad to the subscription numbers as leaving the bugs in place. On top of that you'd almost certainly have to staff up - in a time when I'm sure the financials are in freefall and no one on the business side of things is going to sign off on more bodies.

So you fix what you can, when you can, and wait for a new equilibrium between subscription revenue and ongoing development. That probably won't happen for certain until early next year, when Warlords of Draenor has had its chance to be felt.

Warlords of Draenor will have its effect immediately. Everyone planning to "go home" to WoW does so for a while, and a ton more people unsub because there's so few people to play with. Carbine really need to fix their poo poo before that.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Seriously, grab Houston64 and look at some of their addons.

There's some insight into their code. It's pretty awful.

Hell, I can't even code poo poo in their Lua editor in Houston64, because it's phenomenally janky. You change one loving character and the thing cycles through its database trying to match whatever you typed with multiple entries. This would be fine - if it were done efficiently. The problem is that it freezes the program for awhile while it does this.

Your results might vary depending on your computer's performance; my computer ain't fantastic, but I can code fine in Eclipse or Visual Studio without this problem. It just speaks to underlying structural issues. At least the XML portion of the editor works well.

Never mind the in-game issues. How's this for one - if you do /stuck a couple of times quickly, you'll not be doing it for free. The first time is, which triggers a cooldown period. Subsequent /stuck use within this cooldown period damages all of the equipment on your character.

All of it. Stuff equipped. Stuff in your inventory. Stuff in your costume slots. Everything that has a durability to it will be damaged - soulbound or not. :v:

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 12, 2014

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Stealthed Zombie posted:

From the official forums:

So that's something, they mentioned the issue and that they are going to address and remove any AMPs and Elder Gems purchased at zero price. So we'll see how it all shakes out.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/107832-update-notes-1208-thread-completely-deleted/page-4#entry1113461

What the hell, how is this still a thing? How did they not write logging functionality the first time this happened with those architect windows that vendored for EP, or whatever the hell the original bug was at launch?

They should just make world bosses drop those items anyway. It would solve two problems: make world bosses worth doing, and create alternative ways to obtaining those upgrades.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Minsky posted:

What the hell, how is this still a thing? How did they not write logging functionality the first time this happened with those architect windows that vendored for EP, or whatever the hell the original bug was at launch?

They should just make world bosses drop those items anyway. It would solve two problems: make world bosses worth doing, and create alternative ways to obtaining those upgrades.

Sooo... turns out that post? It's a hoax. Unless you are :tinfoil: enough to think the devs are lying through their teeth, they just confirmed it on the livestream.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GhostBoy posted:

Sooo... turns out that post? It's a hoax. Unless you are :tinfoil: enough to think the devs are lying through their teeth, they just confirmed it on the livestream.

Er, the post by Cougar is a hoax, or...?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

30.5 Days posted:

Er, the post by Cougar is a hoax, or...?

The fact that it happened at all.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Hahaha, a hoax huh? That's hilarious.

The sad thing is that it's a believable hoax, because it's basically happened before.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wait, so was there not even an update last night, or did they just roll it back without anyone checking that the reported bug actually existed in game?

EDIT: And if there wasn't an update why was cougar confused on the fact that an update had been rolled back?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

30.5 Days posted:

Wait, so was there not even an update last night, or did they just roll it back without anyone checking that the reported bug actually existed in game?

The rollback was for other reasons I believe. The servers were completely unstable after the patch or something.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Stealthed Zombie posted:

The rollback was for other reasons I believe. The servers were completely unstable after the patch or something.

Haha, dang, wow.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Carbine has been told repeatedly from closed beta (as far back as November 2013) that systems were broken and that they needed fix. They didn't listen and those same broken rear end systems made it to live where the masses told Carbine "yo this is hosed up" and then it took them a month and a half to even have a "voice" about it and even then it was literally just "wait until Drop 2 guys! We listened!"

Except they made it worse. And people told them on the PTR that it was worse. And people told them on the PTR that it broke other things.

And it still was pushed live. I don't know how you can defend this.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
From the Forums:

quote:

We have seen several reports of the attunement questline behaving oddly--resetting some steps, not letting a few rare folks who have finished zone in to GA. These issues are being looked in to by the team and will hopefully have a resolution soon.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/107761-the-battle-for-silver-runs/#entry1113899

Alright Wildstar devs. You know what to do. It's time.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some updates from the stream. Silvers are getting gone for attunement. Dripping the requirement to Bronze. 300 Partials down to 100. Some sort of nerf to the amount of world bosses.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Iron Tusk posted:

Some updates from the stream. Silvers are getting gone for attunement. Dripping the requirement to Bronze. 300 Partials down to 100. Some sort of nerf to the amount of world bosses.

Did they say when? Sooner than Drop 3 I hope?

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Holy poo poo, tons of good changes coming for runes and attunement (source: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2dcw47/upcoming_runeattunement_system_revamp_itemization/ or the livestream: http://twitch.tv/wildstar)

• Gear now has fixed # of rune slots. There will be an item that allows you to increase the # by 1.
  • You can reroll rune slot types once per slot. It'll give you a choice between two other types.
  • Attunement requirement is now BRONZE for dungeons. (i.e. complete everything, but no timer)

Lots more good stuff coming from the Q&A.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Iron Tusk posted:

Speaking as someone who has completed dungeon silvers and is over halfway done with world bosses, good. Raids aren't timed. The only difference between dungeon silvers and bronzes is the timer, so why include a requirement that is wholly irrelevant in raids? So what if people who can't silver a dungeon can't beat X-89? Does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to see him? When more people get attuned, either they will be able to beat raid bosses (in which case attunement requirements were too high) or they can't (in which case why does it matter, since they don't get raid loot either way).

This is super good news. The poopsocker tears are already starting to flow on r/wildstar, which is just a bonus. It also sounds like they're fixing the most annoying part of itemization, which I like. PVP is still broken and the game is still buggier than any game released in 2014 should be, but this is a good step.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is super good news. The poopsocker tears are already starting to flow on r/wildstar, which is just a bonus.

This is going to be the best part of it for me, I haven't even started imbuement stuff because it sounded like such a pain in the rear end that I wanted to make sure I was on a class that I'd actually enjoy doing endgame stuff on. I'm looking forward to all the "But WE had to do it all on silver, it's not fair! :qq:"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pesterchum posted:

This is going to be the best part of it for me, I haven't even started imbuement stuff because it sounded like such a pain in the rear end that I wanted to make sure I was on a class that I'd actually enjoy doing endgame stuff on. I'm looking forward to all the "But WE had to do it all on silver, it's not fair! :qq:"

To be honest, I'm kind of baffled by the fact that PvE -> PvP server transfers weren't announced (unless they were?) but all the "real" hardcore guilds were demanding stuff like this a little while ago. They know which side their bread is buttered on, and I've always found the world first community in WoW to be pretty reasonable, and wildstar's not been any different. The Angry Hardcore stereotypes generally come from dudes who don't actually accomplish anything.

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012
Daily quest to complete a dungeon + medal confirmed!

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

30.5 Days posted:

To be honest, I'm kind of baffled by the fact that PvE -> PvP server transfers weren't announced (unless they were?) but all the "real" hardcore guilds were demanding stuff like this a little while ago. They know which side their bread is buttered on, and I've always found the world first community in WoW to be pretty reasonable, and wildstar's not been any different. The Angry Hardcore stereotypes generally come from dudes who don't actually accomplish anything.

That'd be a refreshing change of pace. And yeah, I've never really understood the weird PvE->PvP partition that games seem to have. Has any game ever let you transfer between them, even when it's a charged service?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For real though if I don't get a special snowflake title for doing the attunement while it was silver I'll loving not do anything because lmao

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Pryce posted:

Holy poo poo, tons of good changes coming for runes and attunement (source:
[*]Attunement requirement is now BRONZE for dungeons. (i.e. complete everything, but no timer)
[/list]

pssssst: this is kind of bad.

The rest is good though.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Sterling_Archer posted:

The rest is good though.

I'm sure a massive debate about this will rage on for weeks, so I'll just say... I disagree with you but I respect your opinion.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Pryce posted:

I'm sure a massive debate about this will rage on for weeks, so I'll just say... I disagree with you but I respect your opinion.

If only you would have disagreed with him before the game launched, then we might be able to fill a 20man raid on a Monday night in a 500 person guild. :commissar:

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rylek posted:

If only you would have disagreed with him before the game launched, then we might be able to fill a 20man raid on a Monday night in a 500 person guild. :commissar:

You put far too much faith in how much sway a Community Manager has. :D

It is nice that I can have personal opinions again, though.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
So, they're apparently looking into removing the flat damage bonus on Warrior/Stalker/Engineer DPS stances and instead shifting AP to scale better.

I wonder what they will do regarding their AMPs that deal damage? The AMPs themselves scale off of AP or SP, but are also boosted by the flat percent damage buff in DPS stance. I suspect they will wind up weaker.

This would also probably remove the viability of a more support-oriented SP DPS.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think I've seen a stance skill notification pop up on a couple of characters but never saw a place to select a stance. Is it just automatic?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Only the Warrior, Stalker, and Engineer have selectable stances.

Each get the option to select from a beefier, threat-generating Tank stance.
Each get the option to select from a squishier, damage-increasing DPS stance.
Additionally, the Stalker gets the option of a third, fairly neutral stance that nobody really uses.

Medics, Espers, and Spellslingers do not get a stance option.

e:
Oh, aside from the bugs/patch/future discussion - I've been doing something a wee bit different on my Engineer lately. I followed suggestions by Beastcurse & Quizznos to shift points to get the dash-for-volatility-gain AMP (Reckless Dash)... and had a couple of points extra - but not enough for something else that I wanted. So, I snagged Target Acquisition to try playing with that:
http://ws-base.com/builds/generator...425.426.427.616

I've swapped out Energy Auger entirely with Target Acquisition, and I find it works better. Target Acquisition has a much higher cooldown than Energy Auger, but it has some distinct advantages:
1) It has exceptionally long range. 2) While channeling it, your Volatility does not decrease because it puts you (but not your target) in combat. 3) You gain volatility while channeling it every 0.25s, not all at the end. 4) You can interrupt the channel to cast something else and the marks will be consumed 3s after you start channeling it. 5) This means that you can channel it for 1s and Dash forward for 32 Volatility to instant-cast Bio Shell and the damage from Target Acquisition will hit about the same time.

Honestly, I'm finding it works much smoother than Energy Auger in conjunction with Reckless Dash. Experimentation with the other DPS AMPs seems to indicate they are still solid. The only potential exception is shifting one 4-pt cost back to Volatile Armor (the +10% critical strike chance while Exosuit is active).

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 12, 2014

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Evil_Greven posted:

So, they're apparently looking into removing the flat damage bonus on Warrior/Stalker/Engineer DPS stances and instead shifting AP to scale better.

I wonder what they will do regarding their AMPs that deal damage? The AMPs themselves scale off of AP or SP, but are also boosted by the flat percent damage buff in DPS stance. I suspect they will wind up weaker.

This would also probably remove the viability of a more support-oriented SP DPS.

My guess is we'll end up pretty undertuned until they buff us again and will end up dropping a lot of the flat damage amps for more t1 poo poo (if there's even any of that left to take?). I already feel that stuff like lacerate is pretty underwhelming, but we don't have a lot of other good options. Way too many pvp focused amp trees on the warrior.

I said in guild chat a few days ago I would probably get all my silvers done just before they changed it to bronze and a few people jumped down my throat about it, and this looks to be the case so just wanna say neener neener told you so.

I think even with this announced I'll still try and get my dumb ssm silver done just so I can be done with that terrible place and its terrible trash. I'm not looking forward to possibly having to unsocket a bunch of my runes to reroll them and then rerune them. Runes are seriously bleeding me dry.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

Only the Warrior, Stalker, and Engineer have selectable stances.

Medics, Espers, and Spellslingers do not get a stance option.

Excuse me, sir, but I am always in the summon imaginary butterflies stance on my esper. :colbert:

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Pryce posted:

Do you have any sort of reasoning behind this? Being able to clear a dungeon in say....30 mins, that only takes 20 mins if done by competent people isn't exactly a big hurdle. Broken/too many world bosses on the other hand....

Edit: The reason I say it isn't necessarily a good thing to remove silvers is that people that struggled to silver stuff are the same people struggling with raid mechanics.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sterling_Archer posted:

Do you have any sort of reasoning behind this? Being able to clear a dungeon in say....30 mins, that only takes 20 mins if done by competent people isn't exactly a big hurdle. Broken/too many world bosses on the other hand....

Edit: The reason I say it isn't necessarily a good thing to remove silvers is that people that struggled to silver stuff are the same people struggling with raid mechanics.

Having helped get most of the EU guild to the world boss stage it isn't really even a challenge to silver dungeons, I stand by dragging a corpse through every boss fight in SSM (except skullcano, that dungeon is pretty tight especially with mordecai) but it is annoying if people have other commitments and until we got a real attunement train going getting people online to attune

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sterling_Archer posted:

I don't see why this is bad? If you don't want to raid with those people you can always find a guild that doesn't let them raid, and then the strugglers can all struggle together.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sterling_Archer posted:

The rest is good though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is super good news. The poopsocker tears are already starting to flow on r/wildstar, which is just a bonus.

:smug:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Still haven't fixed TF cooldowns and they didn't even mention it once in the stream. Also I'll believe all of these changes when I see them they are all awesome but it's easy to say were going to do this, this and that though. It's like how they said getting amp and ability upgrades with EG was supposed to only be a fallback but never changed anything to make it as such.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The poopsocker tears are already starting to flow on r/wildstar, which is just a bonus.

If you had to "poopsock" to do basic content you might be bad.

hth

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sterling_Archer posted:

Maybe earlier in the lifecycle of the game, sure, but at this point to retain population and bring back some people who got stuck on attunements it's not a bad idea. With another 20 man raid dropping in two weeks or so it makes it easier to get people at least able to feel like they can see the content.

It's also a big help to get alts attuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Sterling_Archer posted:

Why do you want the game to determine for you who is fit or unfit to raid?

I'm fairly certain there are titles for each medal of clearing a dungeon. If you care so much, take a moment in your inquisition and have whatever player you are concerned about flash the title demonstrating that he has completed said timed trial.

• Locked thread