Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Verhoeven turned the human government into literal Nazis and cast vapid teen actors in the leading roles. And it's a great movie besides of which. I'm glad some nerds got mad about how this movie made fun of the fascistic lovely novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i agree. this was a good movie and verhoeven is one of my favorite directors

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CMON APES. DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
co-ed showers, that scene where the dude gets a knife in his hand, and all the rear end in a top hat characters (everyone) get killed by bugs at the end

8/10 movie imo

e: I thought the DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE and other propaganda stuff was really clever satire, the same way a lot of the stuff in robocop was

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i would like to know more

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's a great flick.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i like the scene where those bugs are farting blue space bombs at that space ship and i think it blows a girls face off or something???? the violence in this movie seemed really over the top for the time

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah did u just figure this out? Its a classic. Next

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Wow, how controversial.

Look at me post some objective truth. I'm so brave. Bet it'll really rile up all those Heinlein fans (lol).

But yeah, I agree.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the rare examples where the movie is WAY better than the book.

The book is a boring slog, half of which is about how the loving power armor works. Yay!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Apparently this was the scene that turned Neil Patrick Harris gay.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

notZaar posted:

Verhoeven turned the human government into literal Nazis and cast vapid teen actors in the leading roles. And it's a great movie besides of which. I'm glad some nerds got mad about how this movie made fun of the fascistic lovely novel.

Word. This movie somehow loving owned.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The movie works as a straight sci-fi action flick too. Cool battles.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
id buy that for a dollar

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Blistex posted:

Apparently this was the scene that turned Neil Patrick Harris gay.

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand! MEDIC.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

giant oval office bug was a great character

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
One of these days, some fuckface is going to make a remake and make it 'truer to the original novel'.

So I just wanna say: gently caress you, whoever you are. Hope you never work in film again after your piece of poo poo bombs.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

theres some fine rear end tittys in that film

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
my posting theme is klendathu drop

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I enjoyed the book and thought the movie was awesome too

I would probably have enjoyed it more if it had power armor, orbital insertions and other things from the novel though

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
was it the movie that tried to unironically praise nazis but was so bad it became good and the book was a parody of nazis or was the movie making fun of nazis and the book was seriously pro-nazis

i keep confusing both

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mans posted:

was it the movie that tried to unironically praise nazis but was so bad it became good and the book was a parody of nazis or was the movie making fun of nazis and the book was seriously pro-nazis

i keep confusing both

Heinlein liked to play around with hypothetical future societies in his novels and Paul Verhoeven used it as a basis for a satire of fascism and conservative military-fanboy bullshit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MMOs & Welfare posted:

my posting theme is klendathu drop

basil poledouris was a really good film score composer.

The movie turned out being completely unlike the book since Paul Vanderhoeven admitted to getting bored by the book after a few chapters and then throwing it in the trash.

Michael Ironside's character also dies in the movie which is another big plus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

One of these days, some fuckface is going to make a remake and make it 'truer to the original novel'.

So I just wanna say: gently caress you, whoever you are. Hope you never work in film again after your piece of poo poo bombs.

Umm, they are doing that. And it pisses me off. First, we get the lovely DVD sequels, then we got that godawful CGI anime bullshit with Starship Troopers Invasion, and now they want to reboot the films, just like they ruined Total Recall and Robocop.

At least Roughneck Chronicles was made. That show was the poo poo.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notZaar posted:

What? No.

You had to serve to get citizenship. He turned the government into a highly organized utopia where people served the nation for the right to have a hand in the affairs of state. It is entirely reasonable that people who want to have a say in matters be properly educated.

Edit:

It was actually a military-supported republic, an ideal form of government to ensure that matters get resolved quickly rather than having aberrations in the political system hold the rest of the country hostage, like what we are dealing with now.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

What? No.

You had to serve to get citizenship. He turned the government into a highly organized utopia where people served the nation for the right to have a hand in the affairs of state. It is entirely reasonable that people who want to have a say in matters be properly educated.
Too obvious, dude.

Might've worked if you defended the book instead of acting like you missed the point of the movie.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
welcome to 17 years ago OP

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

co-ed showers only if i can be the only dude

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mans posted:

i keep confusing both

Considering that Verhoeven grew up under Nazi Occupation, I doubt that he praised them at all. What I got from it was that he read the book, saw that the author had a hard-on for fascism, and decided to make the parody of the "Human Nazi Government" very, very obvious. Hell, he had Dougie Howzer dressed up in an SS Uniform.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blistex posted:

Considering that Verhoeven grew up under Nazi Occupation, I doubt that he praised them at all. What I got from it was that he read the book, saw that the author had a hard-on for fascism, and decided to make the parody of the "Human Nazi Government" very, very obvious. Hell, he had Dougie Howzer dressed up in an SS Uniform.

gay man in a hugo boss nazi uniform was a p good touch

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Too obvious, dude.

Might've worked if you defended the book instead of acting like you missed the point of the movie.

Is that a joke?

The point of the movie was that citizens need to learn the value of service before they realize that their vote carries weight far greater than simply "yes" or "no.

In this case, the characters decision(s) to join up to get citizenship (and thereby the right to vote) was their recognition that they wanted something more, and they recognized that it was important to them to understand what it really meant to make those choices.

The government demonstrated a united world, something we don't have today. I don't see why you would be opposed to that.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Is that a joke?

The point of the movie was that citizens need to learn the value of service before they realize that their vote carries weight far greater than simply "yes" or "no.

In this case, the characters decision(s) to join up to get citizenship (and thereby the right to vote) was their recognition that they wanted something more, and they recognized that it was important to them to understand what it really meant to make those choices.

The government demonstrated a united world, something we don't have today. I don't see why you would be opposed to that.

No, that was the point of the book.

The point of the movie was that the book is retarded nazi poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

What? No.

Edit:

It was actually a military-supported republic, an ideal form of government to ensure that matters get resolved quickly rather than having aberrations in the political system hold the rest of the country hostage, like what we are dealing with now.

The book was basically whacking off the Spartan concept of government in which only the fighting soldiers had a say in the government.

The Spartans also had a class of merchants/freeman comprised of ethnic groups conquered by the Spartans but this group had no voting power in the government despite paying taxes.

http://www.pbs.org/empires/thegreeks/background/8b_p1.html

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No, the point of the movie was Johnny Rico wanted to gently caress Denise Richards and who could blame him?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Johnny Rico was a Filipino in the book, in the movie he was a gay white dude.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

No, that was the point of the book.

The point of the movie was that the book is retarded nazi poo poo.

They were killing bugs because the bugs were attacking them. They weren't nazi's. Any military government doesn't make them nazi's. Using that rhetoric just makes you look ignorant and disrespectful of the intent of the movie and the book.

The bugs were a menace and were using their sheer numbers and biological abnormalities to take advantage over the rather mundane humans. They had to beat them with sheer strength of will and faith in their sky marshal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

No, the point of the movie was Johnny Rico wanted to gently caress Denise Richards and who could blame him?

The audience on the hand would probably recognize that Casper van dien is more beautiful than either of his female soap opera love interests.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Is that a joke?

lmao i assume you haven't actually seen the movie because your gimmick isn't usually this retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

what about skinnies

• Locked thread