Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
fascism is bad mmkay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

etalian posted:

The audience on the hand would probably recognize that Casper van dien is more beautiful than either of his female soap opera love interests.

Dina Meyer is pretty hot, man. And then she got gutted by an arachnid.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Is that a joke?

The point of the movie was that citizens need to learn the value of service before they realize that their vote carries weight far greater than simply "yes" or "no.

In this case, the characters decision(s) to join up to get citizenship (and thereby the right to vote) was their recognition that they wanted something more, and they recognized that it was important to them to understand what it really meant to make those choices.

The government demonstrated a united world, something we don't have today. I don't see why you would be opposed to that.

One of the top posters.

Uluru
Feb 21, 2007

Who dares to defy me?! I am Uluru the invincible!

SaltLick posted:

co-ed showers only if i can be the only dude

Only dudes; got it. Updating your profile now, soldier.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They were killing bugs because the bugs were attacking them. They weren't nazi's. Any military government doesn't make them nazi's. Using that rhetoric just makes you look ignorant and disrespectful of the intent of the movie and the book.

The bugs were a menace and were using their sheer numbers and biological abnormalities to take advantage over the rather mundane humans. They had to beat them with sheer strength of will and faith in their sky marshal.

I think maybe the fact that the director didn't actually read or understand the entire book is what lead him to believe it was Nazis

Most people who bitch about the facist military state in Starship Troopers fail to recall that military service was not the only path to citizenship. You could essentially work in any government organization. Be a loving mailman for a bit and become a citizenship.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I'd put up with any number of Nazis if it meant communal showers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nature6pk posted:

I'd put up with any number of Nazis if it meant communal showers

Join the current real world military and you will get plenty of communal showers.

(the real world showers don't have Dina Meyer)

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

The bugs, you see, represent the working/non-working poor. There attempt to better themselves by uprising is met with the jackbooted thuggery of the elite, who mesmerize the middle-class youth of the more privileged world with blind ideology and nationalism. The bugs are the true heroes of the film because they're simply attempting to break the shackles of inequality.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you recall it was Christian missionaries that provoked the bugs into attacking, and can you blame them, really?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the book is like 20% rad as gently caress scifi tthat basically invented the idea of power armor and the rest is either vastly overestimating the military or talking about politics, which is kinda interesting but not very well thought out. it's worth a read at least

still the best heinlein book by virtue of containing only a little racism and no rape or incest

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's a beautiful movie and its like the third best sci fi movie after the first star wars trilogy and the fifth element. Maybe 4th after those and Sexmission.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

the book is like 20% rad as gently caress scifi tthat basically invented the idea of power armor and the rest is either vastly overestimating the military or talking about politics, which is kinda interesting but not very well thought out. it's worth a read at least

still the best heinlein book by virtue of containing only a little racism and no rape or incest

Moon is a Harsh Mistress is the best Heinlein book.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It pales in comparison to that height of cinematic brilliance, Starship Troopers 3.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844760/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Uluru posted:

Only dudes; got it. Updating your profile now, soldier.

what have i done!?!?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
This movie is the funniest poo poo once you realize it's a big joke on Heinlein. I mean, you gotta laugh at how they send a bunch of infantry down with no air or vehicle support and some lovely rifles that take an entire clip to kill a single warrior bug to fight these bugs instead of nuking their planets with their space ships.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They were killing bugs because the bugs were attacking them. They weren't nazi's. Any military government doesn't make them nazi's. Using that rhetoric just makes you look ignorant and disrespectful of the intent of the movie and the book.

The bugs were a menace and were using their sheer numbers and biological abnormalities to take advantage over the rather mundane humans. They had to beat them with sheer strength of will and faith in their sky marshal.

It's strongly implied that the bugs did not attack them, that the meteor attack was staged by the army to start a war, and that the bugs were doing nothing but trying to defend themselves.

E: You could also just listen to the directors commentary on the dvd where he confirms all the things you're arguing against, too.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WEREWAIF posted:

It's a beautiful movie and its like the third best sci fi movie after the first star wars trilogy and the fifth element. Maybe 4th after those and Sexmission.

No doubt it is a great movie. Folks just get stuck on the imagery and forget that the bloodsucking enemies of the united government literally mass-murdered people. Gloves came off at that point. Why they didn't just glass their planets from orbit, I will never know.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

StashAugustine posted:

only a little racism and no rape or incest

I guess this is why it is so unpopular these days, what with incredible series like Game of Thrones

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
It's a pretty great loving movie that people only understood years after its release.

The action in the film is decent and epic, and it's a genuinely satirical (and funny!) film about a fascist world order and its deluded citizens. It's suggested pretty explicitly in the film that the aliens are only defending their turf and the humans are the aggressors.

The Netherlands were occupied by Germans in WWII and Verhoeven was a child back then. He probably developed a morbid fascination with Nazi imagery from those days.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

It's strongly implied that the bugs did not attack them, that the meteor attack was staged by the army to start a war, and that the bugs were doing nothing but trying to defend themselves.

E: You could also just listen to the directors commentary on the dvd where he confirms all the things you're arguing against, too.

Even if that is suggested, or implied that the army did that, the bugs were still a long term threat. There would have been war eventually. Their territorial nature, their intelligence, they were in our neighborhood. I don't know how they, as pure blooded humans, were supposed to keep them out.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I think maybe the fact that the director didn't actually read or understand the entire book is what lead him to believe it was Nazis

Most people who bitch about the facist military state in Starship Troopers fail to recall that military service was not the only path to citizenship. You could essentially work in any government organization. Be a loving mailman for a bit and become a citizenship.

Heinlein really loved fascism lots, but, yeah, the book is bad but not completely Nazis.

The movie's a complete slam of it, and is Nazis, and is awesome.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
The book was p. good I read Heinlein a lot when I get bored because there's lots of group sex space titties and action. The movie gets 6/10 because they didn't do all of the cool poo poo with power armor that can shoot missiles but I guess the bugs were pretty okay looking for the time and there was a few space titties. Thank you for reading my review, have a nice day everyone!!

notZaar posted:

besides of which

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Even if that is suggested, or implied that the army did that, the bugs were still a long term threat. There would have been war eventually. Their territorial nature, their intelligence, they were in our neighborhood. I don't know how they, as pure blooded humans, were supposed to keep them out.

Dude, seriously, change tracks to trying to defend the book instead of acting like you didn't understand the movie:

AVC: In order to get a film like, say, Starship Troopers made, do you have to sell the studio on a giant bug movie, then sneak in the satirical commentary?

Paul Verhoeven: Sneaking in [those elements] was never something that I intended to do. They were all in the script. In my opinion, the movie got made because there were so many regime changes at Sony at that time, one after the other. Mike Medavoy disappeared, then Marc Platt came in, then Bob Cooper came in, and so on. There were five or six changes, and I don't think anyone ever looked at the movie! All the satire was in the script from the beginning, but they might not have been really aware of it, or had read it precisely. By the time one of them might have understood what movie I was going to make, he was already gone. The next group came in. I think we slipped through this labyrinth of changing regimes until finally the movie was done. By then, it had become a stable regime, but then, of course, the movie was already made. It was not that I was lying to anybody. It was already in the script, all this ironic stuff, all this hyperbolic stuff, all this playing with fascism or fascist imagery to point out certain aspects of American society, that was all in the script.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like Neil Patrick Harris was the only guy in on the joke, while the rest actually took it seriously.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Book is very bad IMO besides the cool power armor concept. It's basically the book version of one of those cheesy black and white WWII on the front news reports, which showed a sanitized version of war. The all american new guy goes through the military, survives tough battles against a revoting alien opponent and eventually gets promoted without having to deal with troublesome things like PTSD.

There's basically a somewhat obvious reason why the US military loved Starship Troopers while by comparison hated The Forever War.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I still want to know if you got hosed by a guy yet or if you don't know if you are straight or not. If you haven't had sex with a dude you can't know any more than a lesbian can know before she has had sex with a guy as you so astutely pointed out.

Also I'm pretty sure bugs are supposed to be like that so its not an abnormality for them. Stop being so racist. And humans beat the bugs by throwing more humans at them than there were bugs.

Still Starship Troopers is a fantastic movie. Shame they never made any sequels.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

etalian posted:

Book is very bad IMO besides the cool power armor concept. It's basically the book version of one of those cheesy black and white WWII on the front news reports, which showed a sanitized version of war. The all american new guy goes through the military, survives tough battles against a revoting alien opponent and eventually gets promoted without having to deal with troublesome things like PTSD.

There's basically a somewhat obvious reason why the US military loved Starship Troopers while by comparison hated The Forever War.

The Forever War is a wicked cool sci fi military story.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like Neil Patrick Harris was the only guy in on the joke, while the rest actually took it seriously.

And it's good that they did. Michael Ironside's performance is outrageous and perfect.

Come on, why do they need to wink and be in on the joke? Do you really need that much hand-holding?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ZergFluid posted:

And it's good that they did. Michael Ironside's performance is outrageous and perfect.

Come on, why do they need to wink and be in on the joke? Do you really need that much hand-holding?

I ain't complaining. poo poo's great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LtSmash posted:

I still want to know if you got hosed by a guy yet or if you don't know if you are straight or not. If you haven't had sex with a dude you can't know any more than a lesbian can know before she has had sex with a guy as you so astutely pointed out.

Also I'm pretty sure bugs are supposed to be like that so its not an abnormality for them. Stop being so racist. And humans beat the bugs by throwing more humans at them than there were bugs.

Still Starship Troopers is a fantastic movie. Shame they never made any sequels.

The movie unfortunately had sequels which didn't involved paul verhoeven and also were the bad direct to DVD quality.

Also movie owns since it's intentional satire that in light of the last decade of sickening US history is still pretty relevant today.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
the movie was pretty tits but it lacked the talking bioengineered dogs from the book. thanks for reading my post :smugdog:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Dude, seriously, change tracks to trying to defend the book instead of acting like you didn't understand the movie:

AVC: In order to get a film like, say, Starship Troopers made, do you have to sell the studio on a giant bug movie, then sneak in the satirical commentary?

Paul Verhoeven: Sneaking in [those elements] was never something that I intended to do. They were all in the script. In my opinion, the movie got made because there were so many regime changes at Sony at that time, one after the other. Mike Medavoy disappeared, then Marc Platt came in, then Bob Cooper came in, and so on. There were five or six changes, and I don't think anyone ever looked at the movie! All the satire was in the script from the beginning, but they might not have been really aware of it, or had read it precisely. By the time one of them might have understood what movie I was going to make, he was already gone. The next group came in. I think we slipped through this labyrinth of changing regimes until finally the movie was done. By then, it had become a stable regime, but then, of course, the movie was already made. It was not that I was lying to anybody. It was already in the script, all this ironic stuff, all this hyperbolic stuff, all this playing with fascism or fascist imagery to point out certain aspects of American society, that was all in the script.

So? He was probably talking about Hugo Boss uniforms and the mobile infantry eagle and other imagery (like he says).

Nothing he said there says anything about how they were doing anything wrong. The military united the world behind a common goal, and defeated an enemy that was a threat to the way of life of all natural pure-blood humans. There should be no question that the only method for dealing with that was nuclear fire. The bugs were a threat that gave humanity to be unified at the price of a little over a million people. That is a low price of admission.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Apparently this was the scene that turned Neil Patrick Harris gay.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So? He was probably talking about Hugo Boss uniforms and the mobile infantry eagle and other imagery (like he says).

Nothing he said there says anything about how they were doing anything wrong. The military united the world behind a common goal, and defeated an enemy that was a threat to the way of life of all natural pure-blood humans. There should be no question that the only method for dealing with that was nuclear fire. The bugs were a threat that gave humanity to be unified at the price of a little over a million people. That is a low price of admission.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
All you nerds with a hardon for exoskeletons can relax; there's an anime adaptation of the book and it's got power armor

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Gonna post this next one. There's a tiny chance this is all real and I might totally ruin someone's favorite movie by showing how the director is a filthy liberal:

AVC: What do you think of the film now with regard to the way the current war was generated? It almost seems like they were following that same script.

PV: Well, yeah. If you were very nice to the movie, you would call it prophetic. But we never thought of Starship Troopers as a warning, or something like that. When we were working on the [Robert] Heinlein book, we felt like we had something that was pretty militaristic, pretty right-wing, and you could even say had a tendency to be fascist. We felt we should counter that with irony and other means to make it interesting to ourselves. And, of course, there was a built-in situation that we sensed at that time and that was visible. The new conservatives had already written many articles, and I think we used some of that thinking, and what we saw happening. Although this was all still during the Clinton years, of course, it was vaguely there. I think we picked it up, because we saw it and perhaps it annoyed us, but then, in a pretty playful way, we put it in the movie as a kind of second layer. And of course, the movie is about "Let's all go to war and let's all die." That was clear from the beginning. Not that I had in mind that this would become kind of a reality in the years that followed Clinton. That would have been really prophetic. [Screenwriter Ed Neumeier and I] were just tapping things that we saw at that time, and then extrapolated, unfortunately into a direction that life took.

AVC: That film is really subversive and has found a cult following, but it was so badly misinterpreted in some circles.

PV: It was terrible, and quite punishing. There was an article in the Washington Post—the editorial, not the review—that said the movie was fascist, and the writing and directing were neo-Nazi, or whatever they wrote, that was extremely punishing to us, because that article was picked up, before the film came out, by the whole European press. The movie was introduced to the Europeans as a fascist movie, as a neo-Nazi movie. Which it was not, of course, it was the contrary of that. When we came on our promotion tour to these countries that had been fascist, notably Germany and Italy, and France to a certain degree, it was a continuous fight with the journalists, explaining to them that the movie basically used fascist imagery, and was using images of Leni Riefenstahl to point out a fascist situation.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
plz change my grade to 5/10 because I forgot about the cool cyberdogs that were supersmart. The movie should have had them for at least a scene where they played frisbee in low gravity IMHOPINION. I didn't like the part where they killed the dog just because the owner died and I think that Heinlein should have written in a Sarah McLachlan type character who wanted to save all of the neodogs and then had the bugs eat her face off to increase dramatic tension and "raise the stakes"

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

SunAndSpring posted:

NPH was like the only actual actor they hired besides Ironsides and he had the same role he had in all his other movies. Everyone else probably came out of softcore porn or was Jake Busey. How could they possibly get it? Not that that's bad.

And if I ever got to hook up with NPH I'd totally want him in that hot uniform.

etalian posted:

The movie unfortunately had sequels which didn't involved paul verhoeven and also were the bad direct to DVD quality.

I'd sooner take ten lashings in public square than admit it had sequels!

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I like to think of the Starship Troopers film as an amazing pre-9/11 relic picking out the flaws of an overly militaristic society. It's almost prescient in the way the film mirrored the events of the Iraq war with an attack on the homeland of a dubious origin (the space rock appeared basically out of some gravitational rift and it's not really explained or indicated how the Arachnids managed to pull that off), the ensuing hysteria against a wholly misunderstood enemy (such as the "would you like to know more" showing kids stomping on earth bugs as if that would bring vengeance), and finally the invasion of the enemy home with superior technology and grinning arrogance, only to end with epic disaster and a pyrrhic victory.

Or maybe it's just life imitating art...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Gonna post this next one. There's a tiny chance this is all real and I might totally ruin someone's favorite movie by showing how the director is a filthy liberal:

AVC: What do you think of the film now with regard to the way the current war was generated? It almost seems like they were following that same script.

PV: Well, yeah. If you were very nice to the movie, you would call it prophetic. But we never thought of Starship Troopers as a warning, or something like that. When we were working on the [Robert] Heinlein book, we felt like we had something that was pretty militaristic, pretty right-wing, and you could even say had a tendency to be fascist. We felt we should counter that with irony and other means to make it interesting to ourselves. And, of course, there was a built-in situation that we sensed at that time and that was visible. The new conservatives had already written many articles, and I think we used some of that thinking, and what we saw happening. Although this was all still during the Clinton years, of course, it was vaguely there. I think we picked it up, because we saw it and perhaps it annoyed us, but then, in a pretty playful way, we put it in the movie as a kind of second layer. And of course, the movie is about "Let's all go to war and let's all die." That was clear from the beginning. Not that I had in mind that this would become kind of a reality in the years that followed Clinton. That would have been really prophetic. [Screenwriter Ed Neumeier and I] were just tapping things that we saw at that time, and then extrapolated, unfortunately into a direction that life took.

AVC: That film is really subversive and has found a cult following, but it was so badly misinterpreted in some circles.

PV: It was terrible, and quite punishing. There was an article in the Washington Post—the editorial, not the review—that said the movie was fascist, and the writing and directing were neo-Nazi, or whatever they wrote, that was extremely punishing to us, because that article was picked up, before the film came out, by the whole European press. The movie was introduced to the Europeans as a fascist movie, as a neo-Nazi movie. Which it was not, of course, it was the contrary of that. When we came on our promotion tour to these countries that had been fascist, notably Germany and Italy, and France to a certain degree, it was a continuous fight with the journalists, explaining to them that the movie basically used fascist imagery, and was using images of Leni Riefenstahl to point out a fascist situation.

Verhoeven is kind of like Kojima in that they're both liberal pussies at heart but they also love guns and violence.

• Locked thread