Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not really a troll because heinlein had been dead for ten years and like 99.5 percent of people haven't read the book. It is a good satire and parody / homage at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I never saw the second one, but the third one is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not because they didn't understand the satire of the original, they obviously kind of did, but they try to do the same thing only about religious fanaticism instead of just fascism, only they have no actual budget and no competence in terms of acting, writing, directing, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuybFsXr0HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FgFbFKLF8A

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mookface posted:

It's not really a troll because heinlein had been dead for ten years and like 99.5 percent of people haven't read the book. It is a good satire and parody / homage at the same time

heinlein really was a weirdo but he was also like the author most willing to explore themes he himself didn't necessarily agree with. Like fascism irl is bad but it's not necessarily comic book evil and he was willing to write about that. there's no way you could capture that in something as short as a film so verhoevens take is prob the best possible (also captures how every heinlein character is a Mary Sue)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

pretty sure those PSAs had better CGI work and more believable acting than ST3

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I saw this happen a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udCUYgFPv6U

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

great actor

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
When I want to figure out a movie, I just go to the resident sperg of the internet, Rob Ager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcUa38KNFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMXu3O4Va2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBlgzN9ZOnA

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Tkx6BgRFE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the brain bug is basically a dick and pussy monster.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

It still blows my mind that this was made prior to 9/11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw

Because that's pretty much exactly what happened.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
it's getting far harder to parody nazis these days, I blame feminists

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol what state did he get a DUI in?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

They were killing bugs because the bugs were attacking them. They weren't nazi's. Any military government doesn't make them nazi's. Using that rhetoric just makes you look ignorant and disrespectful of the intent of the movie and the book.
Fun fact: Verhoeven said in an interview (or maybe it was the DVD audio commentary, I don't remember which) that while the movie doesn't outright say it, it's meant to be an alt-history where the Nazis won WWII, so yes they were literal Nazis. That's why you had lily-white Aryan people living in Buenos Aires and officers wearing SS uniforms. Verhoeven just opted to not slather the movie with Swastikas because it would have been mega-distracting from the movie's message, and satire works better when you're subtle.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: Verhoeven said in an interview (or maybe it was the DVD audio commentary, I don't remember which) that while the movie doesn't outright say it, it's meant to be an alt-history where the Nazis won WWII, so yes they were literal Nazis. That's why you had lily-white Aryan people living in Buenos Aires and officers wearing SS uniforms. Verhoeven just opted to not slather the movie with Swastikas because it would have been mega-distracting from the movie's message, and satire works better when you're subtle.
poo poo thats cool

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RevSyd posted:

It still blows my mind that this was made prior to 9/11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw

Because that's pretty much exactly what happened.

It's not like 9/11 was the first time shithead terrorists attacked the west. Ever heard of the PLO?

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone remember how at the end of the book the protagonist's father is so grateful for finally being able to join the military and serve under the command of his son that he starts to cry :lol:

Movie owns though

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Starship Troopers is a great movie but Total Recall w/ Commentary is Paul Verhoeven's Citizen Kane and Arnold Schwarzenegger is his pot-smoking Rosebud.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The blu-ray of Total Recall didn't have that loving commentary. I'm still bitter about that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roumba posted:

The blu-ray of Total Recall didn't have that loving commentary. I'm still bitter about that.

The "mind-bending" edition has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Recall-Mind-B...ds=total+recall

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The movie is a pretty good satire of fascism and nationalism but lmao if you read the book (or most likely read a summary of the book) and thought "yep heinlien totally loved nazis"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Fister Roboto posted:

The movie is a pretty good satire of fascism and nationalism but lmao if you read the book (or most likely read a summary of the book) and thought "yep heinlien totally loved nazis"

yeah i never get this.

yeah, the dude was a 1940s-1950s conservative with a hard on for the military and possibly his mom.

that's relatively tame by scifi/fantasy author standards

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

etalian posted:

The book was basically whacking off the Spartan concept of government in which only the fighting soldiers had a say in the government.

Except in the book it specifically says that 90% of the service positions are non-combat. If you sign up you're more likely to get a job doing space construction than anything that has you carrying a gun.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The Rob Ager review on YouTube is very insightful.... but LMAO in part 3/3 when he starts to go off on "liberal fascism" and the grand global conspiracy of evildoers' plans to treat non-whites like actual people.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

The saddest part is it doesn't have clips of people saying "I'm doing my part!"
Or end with "Would you like to know more?"

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Schisser posted:

Anyone remember how at the end of the book the protagonist's father is so grateful for finally being able to join the military and serve under the command of his son that he starts to cry :lol:

And they all lived happily ever after, locked in eternal war

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fister Roboto posted:

yeah but they make marine officer candidates read the book and that's the message they take so death of the author etc oorah

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

yeah but they make marine officer candidates read the book and that's the message they take so death of the author etc oorah

that's incredible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Droid posted:

And they all lived happily ever after, locked in eternal war

i think one epilouge implied juan died immediately after the book ended

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I bought Starship Troopers 2 on DVD from a charity shop for £2 and I'm pretty angry with that charity now to be honest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

That's ridiculous. Marines can't read.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Fister Roboto posted:

That's ridiculous. Marines can't read.

Books on tape.
Read by R. Lee Ermy.
Listened to while standing at attention or cleaning their rifles.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
tbh that sounds pretty bad rear end

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
tits or GTFO.

Oh ok, shower scene. We're cool.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Xenomrph posted:

Except 75% of Argentinians are lily white. Most are Italian as evidenced by their piss poor governance and their proclivity to steal everything (but at least they have a decent soccer team)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

It was on the Commandants Reading list for awhile, I remember reading it when I was on duty a few times but I'm pretty sure it isn't required reading and wasn't on that reading list since like '09 unless it's come back since then.

The thing I took away from the book was that it would be loving awesome to have a dog that can talk

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

calusari posted:

Except 75% of Argentinians are lily white. Most are Italian as evidenced by their piss poor governance and their proclivity to steal everything (but at least they have a decent soccer team)

Everyone in ST speaks english and has an American accent, which means even if the Nazis won WW2, we know who eventually rules Earth, and the rest of the solar system, like a totall boss.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bolow posted:

I'm pretty sure it isn't required reading and wasn't on that reading list since like '09 unless it's come back since then.

Does it have to be explicitly required? Message to Garcia that poo poo debbadawg, 'rah?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Books on tape.
Read by R. Lee Ermy.

I would buy this entire series.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really wanna see r lee emrys audition tape for full metal jacket, he apparently berates some actors.dressed as recruits for 10mins while neither cursing or repeating himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Waroduce posted:

I really wanna see r lee emrys audition tape for full metal jacket, he apparently berates some actors.dressed as recruits for 10mins while neither cursing or repeating himself

Not that but lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XKqg7MWnhM

It's okay for a minute or so then it slowly starts to look like a sexual fetish video. Its pretty butch. So I'm not 100% certain those are real Marines.

• Locked thread