Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How many problems? How much problems in the 18-20 range? Why have they not lowered their drinking ages?

Binge drinking among teenagers is down significantly from 30-35 years ago when many states had a legal age of 18. It's also not the norm for teenagers, and much more common among newly legal 21-25 year olds than teenagers.

Binge drinking among 15-16 year olds in Europe is as bad or worse as in the US (stats on any drinking on page 69, binge drinking on page 94). American teens are less likely to drink, and those who do are less likely to binge. 56% of teens in Europe report drinking in the past month, with 38% (two thirds of those who drink) having binged. In the us, it's only 27% who've drank and 15% (just over half of drinkers) who've binged. The only countries close to the US were Albania and Kosovo, which are mostly Muslim, and Iceland, where the drinking age is 20.

I don't have any pound-for-pound stats on the 18-20 year old range, but I highly doubt it's lower than the US when over half of the ~70% of 15-24 year olds who drank in the past year report binge drinking at least once a month in the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's nice.

Because there's no reason they shouldn't have to be supervised for a dangerous luxury (and it's a good thing the age to buy cigarettes is starting to be raised finally by the way).

No, supervision til 21. Alcohol isn't a right, and we already know people can be stupid with it. If someone can't find a place that will supervise them drinking than too bad for them. I see no particular advantage to be gained for full privilege to drink whenver and wherever they want when the act of drinking itself on private or supervised premises is legal (Which is again already the case in many states and should be in all of them).

The supervision won't take place, live in the real world. You're a schoolmarm and increased alcohol poisoning is OK with you because others have fun and you don't understand.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

The supervision won't take place, live in the real world. You're a schoolmarm and increased alcohol poisoning is OK with you because others have fun and you don't understand.

The supervision already takes place in the real world in many states. It is literally the law in multiple states.

Pretty cute that you think alcohol poisoning only happens when you're not allowed to purchase your own alcohol though.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ChipNDip posted:

Binge drinking among teenagers is down significantly from 30-35 years ago when many states had a legal age of 18. It's also not the norm for teenagers, and much more common among newly legal 21-25 year olds than teenagers.

Binge drinking among 15-16 year olds in Europe is as bad or worse as in the US (stats on any drinking on page 69, binge drinking on page 94). American teens are less likely to drink, and those who do are less likely to binge. 56% of teens in Europe report drinking in the past month, with 38% (two thirds of those who drink) having binged. In the us, it's only 27% who've drank and 15% (just over half of drinkers) who've binged. The only countries close to the US were Albania and Kosovo, which are mostly Muslim, and Iceland, where the drinking age is 20.

I don't have any pound-for-pound stats on the 18-20 year old range, but I highly doubt it's lower than the US when over half of the ~70% of 15-24 year olds who drank in the past year report binge drinking at least once a month in the past year.

This is more what I've been asking for. Thanks. I will try and get back with a better response when I have the time to look these over.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
People probably binge drink because it loving owns.

Interestingly, there's a bunch of recent studies made in Finland that most of the social ills from alcohol are a result of alcohol consumption in private locales and informal locales. So translating that to the US context, you should probably take measures towards making college students drink in bars instead of frat houses and student apartments.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
It seems so weird and foreign to me that you can be old enough to vote and old enough to be sent to prison as an adult but aren't allowed to drink. Some things can obviously be allowed earlier (driving at 16 in the US, age of consent between 15-18 in most places, etc) but it seems incredibly weird that you are an adult in every other facet of your life but that one. If there is a specific problem with young people drinking and driving, solve that by teaching them about responsible drinking in schools. The current solution is some weird abstinence-only sex ed equivalent, where if you force people under 21 to only drink at private parties, they totally won't drink and drive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kemper Boyd posted:

People probably binge drink because it loving owns.

Not to mention, the definition of what constitutes binge drinking varies wildly. It can range from "any pattern of drinking which gives you a BAC of over 0.08" (generally, about 3-4 "standard drinks" in for the average man, not accounting for the processing of alcohol by your body) to "consuming 60g of alcohol on any one occasion" (about 3/4 of a bottle of wine, 6 oz. of spirits, or 4.5 bottles/just under 3 pints of an average lager), or "consuming 5 or more standard drinks in any two hour period."

Five drinks in two hours seems like a lot, whereas 3/4 of a bottle of wine on "one occasion" sounds like a nice dinner in most of Europe (that might be spread out over 3-4 hours, of course), and the context is completely different in terms of the harms it's likely to cause (chronic physical harm to the user notwithstanding). If you have a few glasses of wine at a family dinner, you're probably not going to drive drunk, start beating your wife, or starting fights in the street. If you consume the same amount over a shorter period in a bar, well, the risks are different.

What binge drinking certainly does not refer to, exclusively, is getting drunk to the point of blacking out, or vomiting, or anything else (though drinking to that level is definitely a subset of all binge drinking).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KennyTheFish posted:

They are quite common in the hotels in Japan, generally one on each floor selling all the things a buisness traveler needs.

Even more impressive is how remote you can be in Japan and still find stocked vending machines, like towns of 20 people and poo poo like that. They traditionally haven't been strict about underage drinking in Japan because underage drinkers generally don't make trouble; they get shitfaced in private at home and sleep it off.

Here in Quebec where the drinking age is 18 they had some drunk driving issues and instituted additional restrictions on driving; basically the first two years you have your license it's a limited one with zero alcohol allowed (you can drive below 0.08 normally) and a few other restrictions, which are removed after two years. There's also a volunteer free chauffeur service called Operation Red Nose for the month of December when everyone's partying, basically a free cab/chauffeur for getting you home safely if you don't feel able to drive a car (either because you got shitfaced or for some other reason like meds). That being said, Quebec was basically the only place in North America that never had full-blown prohibition (a brief ban on spirits, but beer/cider/wine bans never went into effect) and the legislators seem to be well aware that imposing further alcohol restrictions won't end well, so all of our laws are usually approached from a "people are going to drink no matter what, how do we control the problems resulting from it?" standpoint.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
yes i agree there is nowhere near enough high school and junior high school drinking going on and we need to open up the distribution channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

No... it should be lowered to 'just born'. :getin:

• Locked thread