Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hey you've got a spare house now too maybe she can move in there with her new free car you're giving her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Hey you've got a spare house now too maybe she can move in there with her new free car you're giving her!

That's a pretty great idea.

Edit: I need some ideas. I need to reattach the side moldings I took off the old door but the new door doesn't have the square holes for the tabs. Does 3M makes a double sided tape strong enough to hold a 3 foot piece of plastic and rubber onto the door semi permanently?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 23, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Buy some lower grit paper too, 1500 will take you loving forever.

Yes, 3m makes double sided tape strong enough to make it permanent, even

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:shrug:

The roll-on site seemed to think that 1500 was the best option. I'll go grab some 1000 grit tomorrow.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you're starting with drips and runs, try like 600 or so to start, until you have a fully flattened surface, then you switch to a higher grit to get rid of the scratches made by the previous grit, and repeat until you are using polishing compound and have a really good finish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My poor arms. I don't really have that many runs to deal with really. I'll grab the variety pack and start with a small panel to figure this sanding nonsense out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Civic parts....

I wish your car was a 96-00 because I just sold some Tein basic coilovers I had laying around this weekend. Would have been great to sell them to a goon. That was the least amount of bullshit I've had to deal with selling something on CL in a long time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What a waste of a day. Multiple inches of snow and under 20 degrees means no sanding accomplished.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Taco Box posted:

I wish your car was a 96-00 because I just sold some Tein basic coilovers I had laying around this weekend. Would have been great to sell them to a goon. That was the least amount of bullshit I've had to deal with selling something on CL in a long time.

Some 96-00 Civic suspension parts will swap onto a 92.95. :v: If I remember right, the front is a direct swap, while the rear would require cutting down some bushings.

It's been a long time since I played with HondaLegos though, so I might be a bit off. And I never messed with coilovers either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So once again weather is going to get in the way of sanding this week. More snow tomorrow throws a minor wrench in things. Thankfully the lady has said I will be allowed to finish this project at the new place so long as it means no more car projects for at least a year. So hopefully I can wrap it up sometime in the next few weeks.

Back to sanding, I have this Black & Decker hand sander my father gave me a few years ago, would this be terrible to use for the first sand? If I start with 800 grit maybe?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Its too bad she doesn't like you having car projects :(

Time to get a motorcycle project :D

E: I think that hand sander would gently caress up your paint quick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

So once again weather is going to get in the way of sanding this week. More snow tomorrow throws a minor wrench in things. Thankfully the lady has said I will be allowed to finish this project at the new place so long as it means no more car projects for at least a year. So hopefully I can wrap it up sometime in the next few weeks.

Back to sanding, I have this Black & Decker hand sander my father gave me a few years ago, would this be terrible to use for the first sand? If I start with 800 grit maybe?

Terrible idea. Just sand the damned thing with a bucket of water (preferably a hose set up to continuously run water over your work area) and your damned hand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astonishing Wang posted:

Its too bad she doesn't like you having car projects :(

Time to get a motorcycle project :D

E: I think that hand sander would gently caress up your paint quick.

It's mostly because its a brand new property with pretty strict rules.

Figured as much in the sander.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Loctite power grab is good double face tape.

So good it will likely rip paint off if you try and remove the trim afterwards, so make sure it goes in the right spot.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Life's to short to drive boring cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Life's to short to drive boring cars.

The MS6 is kinda boring.

Edit: Speaking of, white wheels are back again

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 29, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Made a Wal-Mart stop after work, I have 800, 1000 and 1500 grit. Got some tiny paintbrushes for touch up. Watched some youtube videos about cleaning up overspray, one dude just straight up paints over any rubber areas with overspray on them so I may try that.

We move the garage tomorrow so I had to knock out re dipping the wheels. Gonna swap those on before we pick up the truck tomorrow. Hoping to knock all this out tomorrow and get some detail painting done on Monday weather permitting. I hope to have some progress on the sanding by this time next week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Between poo poo weather and this I've gotten fuckall done on the Civic this week.

Farewell my cozy, poorly constructed garage, I will miss you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's mostly because its a brand new property with pretty strict rules.

Figured as much in the sander.

HOAs are the mortal enemy of AI. Can we start a Super PAC to get them banned?

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I only lurk in AI to read cool build threads, but good to see another Fort Wayne goon.

Good luck with the painting, I'd go a bit nutty trying to paint a car myself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Between poo poo weather and this I've gotten fuckall done on the Civic this week.

Farewell my cozy, poorly constructed garage, I will miss you.

Did.. did they just slap a garage down in a parking lot? Is that building even anchored to anything? :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

Did.. did they just slap a garage down in a parking lot? Is that building even anchored to anything? :stare:

Haha, NOPE. The rear wall and the garage door frame have "foundations" but the walls are not anchored to the ground. I discovered this by accident when I slid my toolbox into it too hard and suddenly my garage was 4 inches wider.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That rear "foundation" looks more like a curb or sidewalk. :haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

That rear "foundation" looks more like a curb or sidewalk. :haw:

It get's better. It's basically a curb with a few holes in it anchored into the pavement. You can clearly see the old parking space lines on the floor. I never really noticed the issues because I was so thrilled to have a secure, lockable garage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My sister called to tell me she thought the Civic was SMOKING today so they disconnected the battery. I should be pissed if it's broken but life has been so good of late that I don't care. Probably won't get a chance to ever tear into it again as it's a few miles away from all my tools. I'll head over and get some audio of the noise it's making on Thursday.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is the reason why I never loan vehicles to people. poo poo breaks, then its a matter of who did it. I try to take the road of well, it might be broken already (my shits british, so its always broken) but after seeing the way people treat their cars, no thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is the reason why I never loan vehicles to people. poo poo breaks, then its a matter of who did it. I try to take the road of well, it might be broken already (my shits british, so its always broken) but after seeing the way people treat their cars, no thanks.

To be fair, this was my first engine buildish thing. I'm not not even mad though, too many good things going on. The only bad part was I'd hoped to get a return out of it and finance the Miata's winter overhaul.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rhyno posted:

To be fair, this was my first engine buildish thing. I'm not not even mad though, too many good things going on. The only bad part was I'd hoped to get a return out of it and finance the Miata's winter overhaul.

hey, you still need pics and instructions on how to replace an NC Miata top? I still have to edit/rotate the pics but I think if I just dump them all on imgur you could figure it out, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BloodBag posted:

hey, you still need pics and instructions on how to replace an NC Miata top? I still have to edit/rotate the pics but I think if I just dump them all on imgur you could figure it out, right?

I'd be really interested to see it man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey my thread's still here!

Civic's alternator was seized and so was the lower bolt so I had to cut the drat thing out. New alt is in and running smooth but now I have a CEL. Still, I have a very interested party and even with the CEL he still wants the car. Might be sold shortly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CEL is Long Long Short. Code #21 for Honda tells me it's "VTEC spool solenoid valve." Checked grounds, reset ECU, still throwing the same code. So tomorrow I guess I'll check my wiring and see if the solenoid is clogged. Car might be sold sunday!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did it sell?

(Mostly posting just because someone should post so you don't feel like nobody's reading your thread.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

Did it sell?

(Mostly posting just because someone should post so you don't feel like nobody's reading your thread.)

We both got busy, he's coming over Thursday. Hopefully it will then be gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend was all set to buy the Civic and he got laid off. So phooey. I put the car on CL and have gotten 24 emails about it but almost everyone wants to trade guns or rusted pickups for it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

My friend was all set to buy the Civic and he got laid off. So phooey. I put the car on CL and have gotten 24 emails about it but almost everyone wants to trade guns or rusted pickups for it.

Trade for gun. Shoot them with gun. Repeat.

Then trade the massive amount of guns you accumulate for a better car.

Can't lose.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you make an ad that doesn't say "no trades" it's your own drat fault. Then again, most of your customer base probably can't read. :v:

You live in bumblefuck, IN so it should be expected.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

If you make an ad that doesn't say "no trades" it's your own drat fault. Then again, most of your customer base probably can't read. :v:

You live in bumblefuck, IN so it should be expected.

The ad says NO TRADES twice, this ain't my first rodeo!

I have another friend who is pretty down on his luck and only has $1300, I might sell it to him just to wipe my hands of it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Sell it to somebody you don't know, unless this guy is totally cool with it breaking in a year

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Astonishing Wang posted:

Sell it to somebody you don't know, unless this guy is totally cool with it breaking in a year

This over and over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hey, Rhyno has lovely friends, he can be one back once in a while.

• Locked thread