Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
If Harry Kewell wasn't a broken husk of a man then Australia would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
...well, at least we did better than Spain! :australia:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was rooting for you guys, great game. Who would have thought that Australia would play better than Spain against the Netherlands?

Very sad about Cahill missing the last game though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

tetsman posted:

the fact that tim cahill is by far the best player in this team makes me wonder, whats the youth system in Australia like? is it ridiculously underdeveloped like in the us or do you see some future for the team?

It's a bit underdone, but most of this team are really young and have only just gone to a good European team or have yet to. It's very much a transitional phase for the team, but these kids have decent potential imo

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
The Asian Cup is in the loving bag if we keep playing like this only without like eight players injured. God I've loved every moment of this.

Frog of War
May 1, 2008

tetsman posted:

the fact that tim cahill is by far the best player in this team makes me wonder, whats the youth system in Australia like? is it ridiculously underdeveloped like in the us or do you see some future for the team?

2 of our most exciting young prospects in Kruse and (maybe?) Rogic are out, which hurts.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

tim cahill owns

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Frog of War posted:

2 of our most exciting young prospects in Kruse and (maybe?) Rogic are out, which hurts.

Plus we're playing Wilkinson instead of say, a good player like Ryan Williams

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Frog of War posted:

We could've used Langerak in the goals, too.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Phweeeeeeeeeeew that goal.

Pick up game vs Spain should be nice anyway.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I am now so mega hyped that I bought the ticket pack for the asian cup

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Byolante posted:

I am now so mega hyped that I bought the ticket pack for the asian cup

After your win in the next group game against Spain you have to win the Asian Cup so you can beat Spain AGAIN in the Confed Cup.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Australia did really well this WC, just unlucky with the results and a tough group, would love to see them going out on a win against the broken Spanish.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Australia did really well this WC, just unlucky with the results and a tough group, would love to see them going out on a win against the broken Spanish.

I really hope so as well. If only australia could of gotten a draw against netherlands.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I wrote a thing about the Cahill goal because I'm an idiot and I'm sad we lost.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
As the cross came in, time slowed down, as if the universe itself needed to steel itself for the events that were about to unfold.

The words of famous Australian scientist, Young Einstein, echoed through the stadium: God does not play dice;
Two actors attracted to eachother, as if they were two celestial bodies, locked in the ballet older than time itself.

The ball, an elemental force. Beacon of hope, crusher of dreams, impartial arbitrator in the fate of mighty nations and also England.

Its path arcing inevitably to the center of the universe, a force so mighty not even light itself can escape.

As they approach, the fabric of reality blurs. Time and space become genderfuild as an eddy in a mighty river. The total sum what was, is and ever shall be, leading to this precise moment.

For a brief second, the two become one, locked together by the fundamental forces that bind us all. The universe is at rest, entropy rules. The zenith of human existance has been reached.

God leans back in Zher chair, ink drying on the parchment of what is about to be, and smiles contently.

As time spins back up and locks into gear, Zhis voice can be heard as the ball fizzes through the air - phwooaar.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I love Tim cahill

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
It's kind of strange with the change in thinking, from 'if we score a goal we'll be happy' to 'theres a chance we might do well against the number 1 team in the world'.

It's good Cahill is out, the newer players can get some good experience in the World Cup, so we've got a foundation for the next one. Don't think Cahill will be around forever.

But he was awesome. Awesome goal, awesome takedown.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
that was pretty unlucky to go out like that. you gave one of the contenders for the cup a good game.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

-Spiffy- posted:

I wrote a thing about the Cahill goal because I'm an idiot and I'm sad we lost.

Don't be sad mate, that was one of the best games I've seen played - nevermind probably the best game I've seen the Socceroo's play in a long time. We got to shove it up Verbeek which is loving magic, and so many wrote us off without any chance at all of even scoring and hear we are talking about how close we came to beating teams which we would have expected to run a train on us.

I'm so loving pumped, best world cup

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Maybe this is some of the evidence of my spurious claims that the A League is probably roughly as good as a mid tier Eredivisee side?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This Australia team was a nice surprise, you guys would have made it to the round of 16 in other groups. Congrats for a good showing and hopefully you can beat Spain's corpse.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Byolante posted:

Maybe this is some of the evidence of my spurious claims that the A League is probably roughly as good as a mid tier Eredivisee side?

you might be right, McKay didn't look too out of place today, apart from one heart in mouth moment, although Taggart seemed to be anonymous which was a big disappointment for me, although he didn't get much service as we were under the pump from the moment he came on. Spira looked pretty comfortable and I can't think of another A-League player out there today

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah I'm excited about this team. So young, if they keep it up they'll hopefully qualify with a better seeding next time.

Have booked the quarter final of the Asian Cup that Australia will hopefully be involved in. A shame for me though that games at individual stadiums aren't scheduled closer together, since I'll be flying in for only a few days.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I am really impressed with how well we were holding possession this match compared to the Chile game. It's almost like slowly all the different elements that make a good football team are coming together.

It's going to be interesting to see who steps up to fill the large void that Cahill's suspension will leave in the next match.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I had originally hoped that you guys got thrashed in every game but after you last two performances I hope you get a result against Spain :unsmith:

Boozel
Apr 11, 2010

I'm a Netherlands fan - just wanted to say you Socceroos played a really great game! I really wish you were in a different group, because you certainly would have made it out of almost any of the others. Look forward to the next WC - I think you guys will make it far!

Also, I'll be watching the AUS-ESP game. I'm looking forward to one last gangbeat of Spain. If you play like you did today, it's gonna be a steamroll.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Boozel posted:

I'm a Netherlands fan - just wanted to say you Socceroos played a really great game! I really wish you were in a different group, because you certainly would have made it out of almost any of the others. Look forward to the next WC - I think you guys will make it far!

Also, I'll be watching the AUS-ESP game. I'm looking forward to one last gangbeat of Spain. If you play like you did today, it's gonna be a steamroll.
I appreciate the sentiment and don't mean any disrespect to you or your team who I'd quite like to see win the tournament, but I'm really looking forward to a time where we don't get patronised by opposing fans after a loss.

In other news, a guy on twitter's trying to tell me Mat Ryan's been responsible for four of the six goals we've condeded including Robben's this morning :psyduck:

Boozel
Apr 11, 2010

Shmoses posted:

I appreciate the sentiment and don't mean any disrespect to you or your team who I'd quite like to see win the tournament, but I'm really looking forward to a time where we don't get patronised by opposing fans after a loss.

I totally get the sentiment - sorry man, I meant no disrespect. :saddowns:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shmoses posted:

In other news, a guy on twitter's trying to tell me Mat Ryan's been responsible for four of the six goals we've condeded including Robben's this morning :psyduck:

He certainly hasn't covered himself in glory, those four he might not have been responsible for but he drat sure could have done more to keep them out.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Fanatic posted:

I am really impressed with how well we were holding possession this match compared to the Chile game. It's almost like slowly all the different elements that make a good football team are coming together.

Yea if only they hired Ange sooner so he could have developed this group a bit more, they've been playing great in parts of these last 2 games, really hope they can keep it up for Spain.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shmoses posted:

it's easy to blame to the goalie as it's the most obvious. sure for a few they looked savable but you have to ask how did that even get to that? for one of goals this morning we gave that sub who had two names so much space for him to turn and shoot

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
One of my friends hates soccer and loves basketball and started a great troll with this facebook status:
"Patty Mills' performance this week > Tim Cahill's performance this week. By a mile."

The discussion has now turned to how more basketball shirts are sold in Australia than soccer ones.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

did you own them by asking who the gently caress is patty mills because idk

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
He could always like both sports, as they are both awesome :shrug:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

my stepdads beer posted:

it's easy to blame to the goalie as it's the most obvious. sure for a few they looked savable but you have to ask how did that even get to that? for one of goals this morning we gave that sub who had two names so much space for him to turn and shoot
I would say he could've saved the third this morning, but the defenders needed to close down quicker. He probably wasn't expecting a shot which is naive

gabensraum posted:

One of my friends hates soccer and loves basketball and started a great troll with this facebook status:
"Patty Mills' performance this week > Tim Cahill's performance this week. By a mile."

The discussion has now turned to how more basketball shirts are sold in Australia than soccer ones.
I probably wouldn't have gotten involved in that but that is a high quality troll.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Dear Australia,

Please destroy Spain.

Cheers,

Fans of Decent football.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I simply said that Ponting has scored more than either of them.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dell_Zincht posted:

Dear Australia,

Please destroy Spain.

Cheers,

Fans of Decent football.

This, do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum