Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
So if you replace Khedira with Lahm and maybe Götze with Klose in the Cameroon lineup, you basically have the starting XI vs Portugal. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
That match yesterday was totally silly, culminating in the double nutmeg. I feel so bad for Reus, I think he could have had a great tournament. Getting injured so closely beforehand sucks a ton. Maybe we will see Schürrle start on his position?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Deathly afraid to try something new

Wonder what the hell we should be trying, Mourinho-style total defense football. Playing with no defenders? wtf do you want?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Healbot posted:

Khedira was never good enough as box-to-box player but certainly technically inept at losing the ball.

I just don't know what Löw sees in him. He barely improved from his Stuttgart days, the only difference is that massive price tag hanging around his neck.

Wait, what? Do you remember 2012? Back then Khedira was keeping together the German and Madrid midfield. He closed down spaces, got people off the ball, was winning lots of headers in midfield, had good vision for vertical passes and got to the edge of the box to pop some dangerous shots. Obviously that is not the Sami Khedira playing today but for me he was the best German player in EM2012 and that different coaches at Madrid + Löw value him so much is definitely deserved.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I didn't think Lahm was THAT bad really, he'll probably catch himself until the next round.

What was up with playing Mustafi on the right back though? Would have liked to see Großkreutz there. Or maybe Durm in and switch Höwedes over. Or put Lahm out there. Must all be part of the grand plan of only playing centre backs. Maybe it was a sign to the backup players that anyone can make it into the team very suddenly? Cost us a goal.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

:allears:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What has Großkreutz done, that makes him a terrible person? I think Löw is in the lead with driving so lovely that his license got taken away. Weidenfeller is friends with Wiese right? That would kinda make him terrible by association.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
If we want to hate on footballers for being dumb we've got a long night ahead of us!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
The worst case scenario is losing to USA, regardless of who advances.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Nice troll, but everybody knows that Einstein said the thing with the dice. :rolleyes: Dude had no idea about football...

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Yeah, scoring only once vs opposition as clueless as the US is a bit alarming. Schweinsteiger looked good today, Lahm had some really weak passes though. Generally the tactics of not giving the US the space they had in the other games worked really well, you could see how they struggled to get any type of play going whenever they got the ball.
But there really needs to be more of a threat upfront. 13 shots to one goal is not a good ratio. Luckily next match shouldn't be too tough, let's see who makes it.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Enigma89 posted:

No need to score more than once. We are fine.

Italy.txt

I did not mean to complain about the careful playstyle at all, just that we only managed to score once from a couple of promising attacks against a not especially well-organized defense.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Löw started Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Mertesacker and brought on Klose to get the full summer of '06 retro feel going vs Klinsmann imo

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

beer_war posted:

Na super, Deutschland kriegt das Freilos im Achtelfinale.

There's only two matches where both teams are good. You could say similar things about teams playing Greece, Nigeria, Switzerland, USA, Uruguay (w/o Suarez), Costa Rica. But we knew that it would end up like this pretty much from the group draw already.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Just going to quote myself here

elbkaida posted:

But there really needs to be more of a threat upfront. 13 shots to one goal is not a good ratio.

Throwing away really good chances made that game unnecessarily close. Could have been a comfortable 2:0 at full time, but nooooo, everybody just shoots/heads straight at the keeper. The guy had some great saves too, but come on.
First 20 minutes were a bit poo poo, but then the team adapted and started dominating. Algeria weren't too much of a threat when it comes to scoring either luckily.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I would absolutely love to see Durm play on the left, but I guess now it is too late in the tournament to make big changes like this? Boateng out on the right vs Benzema is probably not a bad thing though.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Enigma89 posted:

Is it bad that I miss Metzelder, someone hold me :negative:

He used to be real good in 2002 and then after the long injury break he was still alright. In his prime a better centre back then Boateng now imo.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Kicker has no article on it, so I just refuse to believe any of it is true. :colbert:

Everybody hype for the match already? I am! drat that is going to be tough, but beating France in a World Cup quarterfinal would be pretty cool. Just need to score a little earlier, maybe?

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 3, 2014

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Kind of a poo poo match but hell yeah, semifinals! Sticking Lahm on the wing worked alright, only sometimes I wished a taller guy was in his spot to reach those headers better. A few times Lahm was completely open on the right but noone gave him the ball, wonder why that was.

I am exited to see how our team will manage to suck the spirit from the Brazilian team to make that match as much of a tactical chessgame as possible.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Jose posted:

Klose is going to start the last 2 matches right? Turns out a false 9 is a bit poo poo if you don't have Messi

Wouldn't count on that, Löw likes to change things up a bit and I can easily see him replaced by Schürrle or Götze next match. It's not as if Klose had a great impact this match.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

the posted:

So Neymar has a broken vertebrae

What a shame, gently caress that referee for basically not punishing any fouls during that match.

Guess that will mean Willian coming in for Neymar? And probably Dante for Thiago Silva, so no big difference there.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
gently caress yeah, Weltmeister! What a shame that I couldn't be in Germany, the celebrations looked mental. So amazing what happened this last week in the final and semi-final, I'm still on a complete high.

Hope Löw stays on for at least the next Euro, maybe get a co on that can then transition to take over after. I think now comes a period of making sure new players find their way into the squad and we don't stay stuck with ways that may be outdated in four years.

I barely remember the final '90, so for me the last two matches were basically the two biggest and most historic I've ever watched from our national team. Feels good man.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
But would that really make sense for Tuchel right now? I bet he could get a gig at a big club pretty soon. Maybe DFB open their checkbook really wide though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I really would like to know if there is a bigger plan behind this, or if he is just doing it to avoid injury risk etc. Wonder what will happen to Schweinsteiger over the next two years. Is he going to be starting for Bayern? Will Gündogan manage to come back and push him out of the national team?

• Locked thread