Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chris de Sperg posted:

All joking asides, I really feel Germany have a decent shot at winning their first World Cup this year.

I think you are right. We are not the favorites by far, but if Italy gets eliminated by somebody else we have a chance to win it. We probably won't though, especially if important players keep getting injured. But it's not inconceivable that we get lucky. The other teams are fighting with problems of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

So, I'm sure I will out myself as a total noob, but who is the guy in the front? I can (barely) recognize Schweini and Mesut there, but I can't place the other one.

And as Dunban said, that nickname is a myth.

But it could have been worse:

And I cannot imagine that this image will be all too popular with several nations, given recent events:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dunban posted:

It's Neymar.

It's Lahm.

Also, Özil kinda looks like Götze. It's bizarre.

Seriously? I still don't see it. It really is bizarre.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gigi Galli posted:

These both own though? Do you still have PTSD from when Mario did that to you?

I can't remember any such thing.

(Please somebody kick them out of the WC before we play them in the final :ohdear:)

Also the Russian imperial eagle might be a bit unpopular in certain places right now with the Ukraine situation as it is. It looks badass though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How many times did the Netherlands win the World Cup?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hopterque posted:

I like how C. Ronaldo is like 30 something.

Let me think about what notable world cup things he's done.

Hmmmmmm.

Yeah no I can't think of anything.

Since the "World Cup" is technically only the final of the whole World Cup, things done in the qualifiers count as well, so Ronaldo deserves mention for dragging his poo poo team to the finals, basically by himself. That Portugal won't make it far in the finals themselves is not Ronaldo's fault. If he manages to get them through the group stages he deserves a place on the list.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Reus :negative:

I'm proposing to hold no DFB Cup the year of the WM, and do away with the friendlies before it as well. This sucks so much. Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Neuer aren't 100% fit either. What's wrong with this world?

Still, Klose will score 20 goals, Poldi 10, and we will win the World Cup for sure.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Mustafi travels to Brazil instead of Reus.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Suspended from what? His honorary presidency of FCB? Can they even do that?

On the other hand, investigating corruption around the Qatar world cup is the right move.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Posting a youtube video that is not available in Germany in the GMNT thread makes me sad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lazlow posted:

You know what else would've been amazing? Klose breaking the record in their opening match.

And then Müller breaking it again in the final :eyepop::fh:

Klose can score against teams like Ghana or the US, and then Müller will still be able to break Klose's new record in the final.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Smirr posted:

The thing is, I can't really think of any situations where a player takes a hand/elbow/foot to the face and doesn't go down, even if it's as soft as yesterday. Even that little unexpected contact is enough to make you stop playing, and if you're gonna stop playing why not have a little sit down too? If nothing else had happened no one would be talking about that situation at all, but Pepe is a goshdarn psychopath rear end in a top hat, so...

Right, the ref didn't even stop play for that. But Pepe is dumb and decided to stop playing and give Müller a (soft) headbutt in full view of the ref.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

unicron posted:

At this very early stage I think that would be a fair finish. But aren't Brazil typically late, slow starters? And haven't they like, never lost at home or something?

Given the small sample size, I don't think these statistics are meaningful.

Still, just going by results till now, it wouldn't surprise if the Dutch or Brazilians or Germans win the whole thing, while some other favorites surprised with bad results, Spain first among them of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

elbkaida posted:

I didn't think Lahm was THAT bad really, he'll probably catch himself until the next round.

What was up with playing Mustafi on the right back though? Would have liked to see Großkreutz there. Or maybe Durm in and switch Höwedes over. Or put Lahm out there. Must all be part of the grand plan of only playing centre backs. Maybe it was a sign to the backup players that anyone can make it into the team very suddenly? Cost us a goal.

Lahm gifted Ghana their second goal. If that was not "THAT bad", then Mustafi was also not "THAT bad".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hopterque posted:

I vote that if Klose breaks the record any new Bundesliga or Germany thread titles involve him somehow.

What if Müller breaks the record as well this World Cup?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dunban posted:

Never in doubt.

None of the other favorites advanced without difficulties, it's still coming home.

Also, Neuer is crazy. And good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Apparently Mustafi is injured and won't play again this World Cup.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still bitter about Reus. And Gündogan of course, both for the BvB and the national team, but he's been injured for so long... :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't even get these post-game interview with sometimes still panting players, they add nothing of value. Interviewing the managers is often a bit more interesting (especially when Kloppo freaks out again :3:). But sometimes you have the same non-answers from them as the players give. Leave the people alone and give them a day to work out what went wrong/right. Stupid journalists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Katana Gomai posted:

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...frankreich.html

So much for that I guess. Höwedes will continue to be useless as LB and since Mustafi is injured, who the hell is gonna start on RB? Boateng should start as FB again since Hummels is still down with the flu apparently.

I read somewhere that Lahm refused to go back to being a RB, was that only useless internet speculation or is it true? It would probably explain quite a bit, though I cannot really believe it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That conference superiority thing is utterly bizarre, but I do remember the articles written in 2010 how so few European teams got out of the group stages and that it's time for South American and African (lol) dominance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dunban posted:

Holland because van Gaal and Robben are cool and good

This but Argentina, because van Gaal and especially Robben are lovely people and don't deserve to win.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No doubt, we will win.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

If he only scores one then James gets it for playing less games.

Fine, let him score twice then!

(I thought he had more assists which would let him be the top scorer?)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
WE DID IT! SCHLAND!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lol Austrians. "Das unrühmliche Ende einer durch und durch von Anfang an unsymphatischen WM..." As if this World Cup wasn't one of the best of all time. It's sad if you only qualify for major tournaments when you host them, losers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

African AIDS cum posted:

Austria is a skiing nation. Lets see a german win gold in Kitzbuhel. Hahaha.

Germany is the most successful Biathlon nation at the Winter Olympics, the Austrians can get hosed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Enigma89 posted:

The Swiss are easier to understand than Bavarians :negative:

Only when they try to speak High German, once they begin to speak Switzerdütsch I can understand at most every fourth word. It's easier to understand Dutch than Switzerdütsch imho.

Also, that interview rocks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hopterque posted:

I move that OP is a terrible plastic and should probably just give up on this whole pretending to be german thing.

e: loving 5 euros for a doner jesus christ lol

I don't care, everybody can be a fan of our national team.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ephex posted:

Don't let Dönerchat tear us apart.
We are all Weltmeister.

We are. Soon I can go back to hating that greedy traitor scum, but for now he is the hero who shot us to our fourth world cup.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Maradonna Summer posted:

Hi quick question how many players did fc köln contribute to the national team ok thanks

One obviously. Poldi will forever be a Köln player.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Poldi :3:

Klose with his boys was also heartwarming.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm glad that our boys did not do the stunt the Spanish team did in 2010, exchanging all their kits for new ones with one star on it. Keep it classy, lads!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

spankmeister posted:

they had the t shirts with the 4 stars on with the years in there though?

Did they? All of them? Just look a little up-thread, Poldi and his son + Müller, they have three stars.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Am I the only one who found Rihanna snuggling up with half the German team really creepy?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps creepy is the wrong word. It just annoyed me. She even got to pose with the cup!

And you can have Rihanna, I'd rather take some of the players, thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Maradonna Summer posted:

hi i don't speak german but i've got this on, don't know if it's geoblocked

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzgd5x_dw-europe-live-stream_news?start=0

It's not geonlocked, and it's great. Thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm thankful that the Italian cunts did not manage to get out of their group. It was clear that we were going to win the tournament after Italy went out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Soulex posted:

Fußballweltmeisterschaftsgewinnerdeutschlandflaggenschadenfreudenmischgetränk

Nope, that's not a real word. Even German has limits.

This was the most glorious WC for me too, in 1990 I was only a small kid and we were just getting used to glorious West Germany after escaping the hellhole that was the other Germany.

I'm really curious who Löw will take on as his new co-manager, Hansi Flick is going to be the new DFB Sportdirektor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Katana Gomai posted:

woke up and die Gauchos still gehn so, feels even better

• Locked thread