Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/4593/world-cup-posters?cc=5739

quote:

ESPN commissioned Brazilian artist and graphic designer Cristiano Siqueira to create a series of uniquely designed images in celebration of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Each piece tells a unique story of the heroes who will lead their countries on the pitch this summer along with an artistic representation of each of the 32 team nicknames. The artwork is a celebration of the unbridled passion that only the World Cup can evoke around the globe.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

oliwan posted:

is this true

Yep. Imagine the English calling their national team just "the team". I've never heard anyone calling the "Nationalmannschaft" just "die Mannschaft".

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Italy will either be eliminated in the group stages (che vergogna!) or they will lose against Brazil/Spain in the finals (che peccato!).

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

hopterque posted:

I just want Klose to come in and score a goal because he's so handsome and cool.

and then 10 in the group stages while Germany still won't advance.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
:laffo:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Klose now officially best player in the history of all times.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

hopterque posted:

Its coming home (to germany)

I would like to see Löw resigning after two games and then Klose gloriously leading the team to the title as player-coach.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Lutz Pfannenstiel is probably the weirdest football commentator I've ever seen.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I think Thomas Wark is ok most of the time because often he just says nothing.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
:lol:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
That's one action in ninety minutes. Lahm is still indispensable, even if he made (in Lahm terms) unusually many mistakes.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

upside down bicycle

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
It's a bit like missing Carsten Jancker, I feel you.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Needs a bit more Ötzi in this picture imo

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
5d this thread bc of good team

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

sassassin posted:

Mertesacker came on and the defence turned to poo poo.

That was because the German team lowered their pressing efforts after the break and Brazil was trying to furiously attack. The actual central defending was rock solid both with Mertesacker and Hummels.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Soylent Green posted:

Hmm I'm not sure that's such a good idea ephex but if it makes you happy here is the most embarrassing picture I had handy.

You actually look a tiny bit like Thomas Müller would look like if he didn't look like a 40-years-old marathon runner.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
nvm

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Enigma89 posted:

Me too but I was born in 89. The first match I really remember watching was the loss in the final against Brazil. Just been heart ache every major tournament since the start.

Same only I was a huge Ronaldo/Roberto Carlos fan back then which is why it didn't bother me that much. But in 2006 it was a crushing experience when I watched the semifinal next to an italian restaurant.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Internet discussion board members seem to be loving old unexpectedly mature nowadays.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Enigma89 posted:

I can't believe Klose beat the record and won the entire thing. I had lost all hope for him after South Africa. Thank you for not playing Gomez.

Yep, Klose is now also officially a huge legend and one of the all-time greatest of this sport.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Also gently caress the guardian top 100. :v:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The average Munich Döner is actually a bit more expensive than a normal Döner in Berlin. I'd say it's a difference of about 3€ vs 4€. In both cities there are both great and awful Dönerbuden.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Maradonna Summer posted:

Hi quick question how many players did fc köln contribute to the national team ok thanks

Poldi was cheering with some guys with a Köln flag and after the match he called the viewers to "destroy cologne". So I think he still counts as a Köln player.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Just to confirm that Germany are World Champions.

I need to find a poster sized version of this picture because it's giving me the chills everytime I look at it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

El Hefe posted:

I'd prefer if the Costa Rican FA and all the other FA's would use the money to build training facilities for kids, buying balls, kits, etc.

But that's not the world we live in.

Why not have both? German players get a bonus and there is also a multi-million dollar program for youth development. And if a player wants money in advance he won't play in the national team, see Bernd Schuster.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
He's pulling a Magdalena Neuner I suppose, maybe not the dumbest thing to do.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Does that mean Großkreutz is going to be his successor? :eyepop:

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 18, 2014

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Syncopated posted:

IMO he's upset over being forced to play right back.

That would be pretty dumb and I don't think Lahm is dumb.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

advanced statsman posted:

I thought that right back thing was a joke and idg why you people are taking that post so seriously

You're in the germans men national team thread

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Syncopated posted:

this guy knows what's up, I have no idea why he would quit the national team, he's still good and isn't broken, that I know of ?, so uhhh

He wouldn't be the first successful athlete that quits on a high. I mentioned Neuner earlier.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

elbkaida posted:

I really would like to know if there is a bigger plan behind this, or if he is just doing it to avoid injury risk etc. Wonder what will happen to Schweinsteiger over the next two years. Is he going to be starting for Bayern? Will Gündogan manage to come back and push him out of the national team?

I think one reason is probably that he's simply tired of playing 60+ matches every season as he is one of the few players who is always in the starting lineup.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Lahm uploaded the whole article on his webspace, if someone is interested:

http://www.philipplahm.de/fileadmin/Dateien/philipp_lahm/pdf/ZEIT_Kapitaen_a.D._24.7.2014.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

antidote posted:

Anyone remember that time Germany won the World Cup in 2014?

Every moment of my existence.

• Locked thread