Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Aww yeah, every pony's favourite country is comin to Brazil.

The Japanese football team are current champions of Asia. They are called Samurai Blue. There's probably going to be some serious :qq: with Korea, because the Japanese people chose a phrase for the buses the team will use in Rio that tells the samurai to go to war. They are currently ranked 47th in the world, ahead of Wales but behind Slovakia. FIFA rankings are utter horseshit.

Their manager is an Italian named Alberto Zaccheroni.

Their mascot for the World Cup is literally Pikachu.

THE 23 SAMURAI

Japan are a fairly decent side. They are competent all around without really excelling anywhere, but on the other hand they have no glaring weaknesses either. The average height of the side has increased in recent years, so they're not going to get pushed around and physically outmatched like the racist stereotype that actually kind of held true. Most of the squad play in Europe, the others in the J-league.

They have a capable midfield which plays neat triangles, and two legitimate world class players in Keisuke Honda and Shinji Kagawa. Thanks to injuries they have had to call up veterans in defence from the J-League which could be troubling. They lack a quality striker who will consistently bang in the goals the midfield sets up.

Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Standard Liege/BEL), Shusaku Nishikawa (Urawa Reds), Shuichi Gonda (FC Tokyo)

Defenders: Yasuyuki Konno (Gamba Osaka), Masahiko Inoha (Jubilo Iwata), Yuto Nagatomo (Inter Milan/ITA), Masato Morishige (FC Tokyo), Atsuto Uchida (Schalke/GER), Maya Yoshida (Southampton/ENG), Hiroki Sakai (Hannover 96/GER), Gotoku Sakai (Stuttgart/GER)

Midfielders: Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka), Makoto Hasebe (Nuremberg/GER), Toshihiro Aoyama (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Hotaru Yamaguchi (Cerezo Osaka), Keisuke Honda (AC Milan/ITA), Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United/ENG)

Forwards: Yoshito Okubo (Kawasaki Frontale), Shinji Okazaki (Mainz/GER), Hiroshi Kiyotake (Nurnberg/GER), Yoichiro Kakitani (Cerezo Osaka), Manabu Saito (Yokohama F-Marinos), Yuya Osako (1860 Munich/GER)

But lets get closer in depth!!!

Eiji Kawashima is the first choice goalkeeper. He is alright. He plays in Belgium, and the one thing I know about him is that after the 2011 earthquake the Belgian fans started chanting "Kawashima? Fukushima!" at him until he cried, so gently caress Belgium I guess.

Atsuto Uchida is the first choice rightback. He plays in Germany for Schalke. He was voted Sexy Samurai #1 by the women of Japan recently.

Yuto Nagatomo is the left back and plays for Inter Milan, where everyone is really patronising to him and bows whenever he does something good.

Yasuhito Endo plays in Japan, but he is actually quite good. He plays the holding midfielder role and is basically the dude who makes the team tick. He is like Xabi Alonso with less ability and a moorhen for hair.

Keisuke Honda is Japan's David Beckham. He sells everything from coffee to gum. He loves fashion and hangs out in white suits unironically all the time. He loving loves cheeseburgers but is never pictured with one. He has bleached his hair for years, and consequently now the team is full of mini-Keisuke's trying to rag on his style. Got in trouble a while back for saying some nationalist things, and is otherwise regarded as rude in some sections of the Japanese press because he is prepared to have opinions. Japan's best player, attacking midfielder who plays for Milan who has a good free kick, is good at passing and has a pretty decent finish on him. Occasionally hogs the ball because he loves attention.

Bingin' Shinji Kagawa

Attacking midfielder, prefers playing through the middle behind the striker but so does Honda so he is likely to be shunted to the left or the right. Super pro dude. Dad is a whale, uncle is a dog. Missed a game this season thanks to getting super depressed about having to take orders from David Moyes and ate himself into hospital.

Shinji Okazaki, who plays in Europe, who I know gently caress all about. Here he is practicing his headers though, so expect some serious bullets to go flying in off that big spacious bonce.

Not going is goon hero Mike Havenaar, a white man who grew up in Japan and has a ridiculous haircut, and whose sole use to the side was being tall:

GROUP

Japan are in group C. It is a pretty interesting group with no obvious favourite, so Japan stand a reasonable chance of getting onto the knockouts. Columbia's Cool Dude Falcao got his knee knacked by a French farmer and even if he is fit he will not have played for six months. Ivory Coast have forum favourite Yaya 'Dogshit' Toure in the centre of their midfield, but African teams are about as reliable as African economies. Greece are a loving blight on football and would literally combine all their players into a wad of flesh the exact size of the goal if it was legally/ethically permitted, but this is a tactic that works some of the time.

So ganbarre, samurai blue! Ganbarre! If you are down with Japan, feel free to use this sig during the world cup!:

Also feel free to post any sexy anime babes holding or loving footballs/racist caricatures of Ronaldinho!

say no to anime

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

anime ftw

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Screw the world cup, there should be a dedicated stream for japanese fan reactions

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

In our defense, only Beerschot fans were shouting at Kawashima cause they're racist.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
gently caress, I forgot to post look out for these guys:

I don't even know what the hell's going on but they are true loyal buru----.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's Nihon you bakagaijin

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i hope your happy op i had to sign up to pixiv to find this

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Kurtofan posted:

It's Nihon you bakagaijin

No its Olive and Tom

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

legitimate world class players in Shinji Kagawa

mm not sure about that

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

You didn't even post the picutre of Mike Havenaar's proper bad hair op, still voted 5

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I loving love this video and I'm going to post it even though you linked it in your OP because lazy people who don't click links also deserve to watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Htaizroq0

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Bogan Krkic posted:

You didn't even post the picutre of Mike Havenaar's proper bad hair op, still voted 5

harroo, iz ittu me you looking for?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eau de MacGowan posted:

harroo, iz ittu me you looking for?

Japanese Mike Havenaar, who has a Dutch name, plays in the Dutch league, and speaks Dutch.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
It's quite funny that as soon as Hāfunā Maiku stopped playing in Japan he stopped being picked despite making GBS threads all over the rest of their strikers (because he is taller than them)

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Spangly A posted:

Hāfunā Maiku

What a wonderful Phrase.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

oliwan posted:

Japanese Mike Havenaar, who has a Dutch name, plays in the Dutch league, and speaks Dutch.

His father is Dutch, came over when the J-League started. Mike was either born in Japan or was just a baby. Japanese is his first language, and he is incredibly ridiculously Japanese in mannerisms, which is hilarious to see in a lanky 6 foot white guy. Interesting Questions About Immigration and National Identity.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Honda is slow as poo poo but he's really good when he plays in the right position.

Zaccheroni used to play a back three exclusively but I guess he's softened his stance on using a back four. This team nearly put an absolute mauling on Italy at the confederations cup and I'm excited to see them play in a real tournament.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

It's quite funny that as soon as Hāfunā Maiku stopped playing in Japan he stopped being picked despite making GBS threads all over the rest of their strikers (because he is taller than them)

Is he related to Hatsune Mikku?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Reminder that Kagawa literally ate so much food he had to have his stomach pumped and couldn't play this season

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

Reminder that Kagawa literally ate so much food he had to have his stomach pumped and couldn't play this season

"ate so much food"

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

oliwan posted:

I watched an interview with some poo poo Dutch channel and he couldn't answer everything in Dutch and had to resort to answering in English, a clearly superior language

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

tetsman posted:

I watched an interview with some poo poo Dutch channel and he couldn't answer everything in Dutch and had to resort to answering in English, a clearly superior language

You are right op

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bogan Krkic posted:

"ate so much food"

stomach pumping: a thing done for eating so much because you can't just make them vomit normally

although otoh you dont stomach pump for drugs either because charcoal is just superior. I conclude that the entire story may have been fake and gay.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Will Kagawa be played Out Of Position at the WC?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Spangly A posted:

stomach pumping: a thing done for eating so much because you can't just make them vomit normally

although otoh you dont stomach pump for drugs either because charcoal is just superior. I conclude that the entire story may have been fake and gay.

Alcohol poisoning m8

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Feel like Nagatomo has been doing really well for inter. Incredible runner that can play anywhere on the pitch, very good passing and technical abilites. If he went to europe at a younger age he could have turned in to the best left back in the entire world or something.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i love anime op and will be rooting for japan

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Post a sexy anime babe holding a football then, I am deadly serious, this is my kokoro wish.

edit: ok i typed sexy anime shinji kagawa into google image search and i got this, kind of wish I'd found it while I was doing the OP:

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2014

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Post a sexy anime babe holding a football then, I am deadly serious, this is my kokoro wish.

edit: ok i typed sexy anime shinji kagawa into google image search and i got this, kind of wish I'd found it while I was doing the OP:

lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Japan's kit is nice. I wish them well :unsmith:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm bewildered because Havenaar is literally better than all those strikers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is the second result if you google 'anime keisuke honda'

This is the 13th:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
A small group of FC Tokyo fans showed up to support the brisbane roar at the A League final for some reason I don't fully comprehend. As a result I will support Japan when Australia get bounced out of the groups hilariously.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm here for the Japanese Babes.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
:japan:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unG_bktw0bk:japan:

Osu the samurai blues!

oliwan