Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I think it is fair to say that this thread is dumb and anyone posting in it is dumb, including me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

kissekatt posted:

I think it is fair to say that this thread is dumb and anyone posting in it is dumb, including me.

Gonna save this page and archive it to my Google drive so all of history will know how dumb you and I are.

This poo poo ain't never going away.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Lashing out at stuff.

Haha, I think I struck a nerve.

kissekatt posted:

Truth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kristov posted:

Haha, I think I struck a nerve.

Literally what people are advocating (see the past few pages).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nevvy Z posted:

There was a time not too long ago you might have said the same thing about people using laptop computers or tablets in public.

Still a valid criticism. People who engage in douchey behavior in public deserve to be mocked. This includes people who walk down the street with smartphones in their faces without watching where they walk.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

second-hand smegma posted:

Still a valid criticism. People who engage in douchey behavior in public deserve to be mocked. This includes people who walk down the street with smartphones in their faces without watching where they walk.

Curbs and fire hydrants will mock them well enough.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Everyone is wrong, I am right. Society should conform to ME.

Dude, you're boring. Like really boring. AND, you're missing the whole freaking point. Glass makes people uncomfortable for a myriad of reasons. Either be a good person and accommodate that, or be an rear end in a top hat and disregard their feelings.

People who think others should be made fun of because of the way the look make me uncomfortable. Thus, YOU make me uncomfortable. Accommodate or disregard as you will.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaySmuckles posted:

Dude, you're boring. Like really boring. AND, you're missing the whole freaking point. Glass makes people uncomfortable for a myriad of reasons. Either be a good person and accommodate that, or be an rear end in a top hat and disregard their feelings.

People who think others should be made fun of because of the way the look make me uncomfortable. Thus, YOU make me uncomfortable. Accommodate or disregard as you will.

I'm glad you admitted you have no valid counterarguments. No one should give a poo poo about the feelings of chicken littles. Fact is its a tiny minority of people who are uncomfortable with glass and way more people who either have no opinion or make fun of it and it's users for its actual flaws.

I'm glad you're uncomfortable. Though it's funny you think mocking bad fashion is bad but having paranoid delusions about products is good.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm glad you admitted you have no valid counterarguments. No one should give a poo poo about the feelings of chicken littles. Fact is its a tiny minority of people who are uncomfortable with glass and way more people who either have no opinion or make fun of it and it's users for its actual flaws.

I'm glad you're uncomfortable. Though it's funny you think mocking bad fashion is bad but having paranoid delusions about products is good.

"You're boring" is actually a stunning argument when it comes to enforcement of social norms, ps.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Fact is its a tiny minority of people who are uncomfortable with glass and way more people who either have no opinion or make fun of it and it's users for its actual flaws.

Clearly a fact. I am definitely the delusional one.

Yawn, once again Nintendo Kid is, was, and always shall be right. Everyone else is wrong.

My counter argument was you should be a good person. I see you've chosen "rear end in a top hat."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaySmuckles posted:

Clearly a fact. I am definitely the delusional one.

Yawn, once again Nintendo Kid is, was, and always shall be right. Everyone else is wrong.

My counter argument was you should be a good person. I see you've chosen "rear end in a top hat."

Good people don't support paranoid delusions while demanding noone ever mock dorky accessories.

You however are being an rear end in a top hat by demanding everyone stop caring about looking presentable, because it makes you uncomfortable.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 19, 2014

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Good people don't support paranoid delusions while demanding noone ever mock dorky accessories.

Word, dog. You know everything.

Why are you even here? This is debate disco. You have nothing to debate and since you hate bad fashion you definitely aren't here to disco. Its been 19 pages, we all know how you feel. Other people feel differently from you and you've made it clear you're unwillingly to listen to them. Move along. If we want your opinions we can find them on every page from page one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaySmuckles posted:

Word, dog. You know everything.

Why are you even here? This is debate disco. You have nothing to debate and since you hate bad fashion you definitely aren't here to disco. Its been 19 pages, we all know how you feel. Other people feel differently from you and you've made it clear you're unwillingly to listen to them. Move along. If we want your opinions we can find them on every page from page one.

I'm debating just fine, you however are just whining that I don't agree with you. I'm sure this makes you uncomfortable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nintendo Kid posted:

You however are being an rear end in a top hat by demanding everyone stop caring about looking presentable, because it makes you uncomfortable.

How is this any more a valid reason to ban a toy than "face cameras make me irrationally uncomfortable"?

At least a face camera can theoretically do what people are worried about, even if practically-speaking it won't. What other people look like has to have the least effect on you of anything in the universe, why on earth would you advocate ostracization and bans on that basis?

"Stop worrying about cameras, no one wants to record you, it has no effect on you...but whoa I don't like the cut of his jib, throw him out!"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

RaySmuckles posted:

Glass makes people uncomfortable for a myriad of reasons. Either be a good person and accommodate that, or be an rear end in a top hat and disregard their feelings.
This definitely needs to be expanded. Sometimes people are uncomfortable for good reasons, if someone punches me in the face, that makes me uncomfortable, and they should stop punching me in the face (absent justification for punching me in the face). Sometimes people are uncomfortable for bad reasons, someone might be uncomfortable with men kissing in public, this is clearly an invalid reason to be uncomfortable, and they should shut the gently caress up. The question at hand is whether the discomfort that people experience around Glass users is valid or not. If their feelings are based around being recorded, their discomfort is clearly invalid. People are constantly recorded by a variety of devices, and are surrounded by numerous devices that could record them even if they aren't currently (phones, laptops with forward/backward facing cameras, et cetera). If their discomfort is based on nerds looking like nerds, that's not inherently illogical, even if there are reasons to discount that argument, though the fashion argument is pretty different from the privacy argument.

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

How is this any more a valid reason to ban a toy than "face cameras make me irrationally uncomfortable"?

At least a face camera can theoretically do what people are worried about, even if practically-speaking it won't. What other people look like has to have the least effect on you of anything in the universe, why on earth would you advocate ostracization and bans on that basis?

"Stop worrying about cameras, no one wants to record you, it has no effect on you...but whoa I don't like the cut of his jib, throw him out!"

I still have not advocated banning, why you're still trying to get that strawman is beyond me.

I advocate mocking glass users on sight because they look dumb and are an overpriced underperforming product that you should regret paying the full $1500 for.

I also advocate mocking anyone who's a proud PT Cruiser owner, for Very similar reasons.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 19, 2014

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm debating just fine, you however are just whining that I don't agree with you. I'm sure this makes you uncomfortable.

Nah, bro, I'm whining that you're hijacking this thread. I'm cool with you not agreeing with me. My opinion: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Your opinion: Everyone else is wrong and I have no duty to society, my community, nor the people around me; in fact, lets make fun of the dorky ones.

That's it. That's where we are. I've read your posts, I get that glass in its current form is a bit of a red herring for people's fears. That doesn't mean I won't try to accommodate them. If people need education, then educate them without being condescending. If they won't listen then move on. That's what I'm going to do. Good luck out there, buddy.

(you're still boring)

I'll actually throw you a bone. Here's my fear:

*look at sharply dressed guy*
"Nintendo Kid"
(Profile Pic of Nintendo Kid in different, equally fashionable clothing)
Google Review:
* (one star)
Posted by RaySmuckles:
This dude is boring and inconsiderate. Avoid at all costs.
*(one star)
Posted by Nintendo Kid's Ex:
Oh my gosh, this guy is boring. He always says the same stuff and never listens! If you're interested, just know this guy is incredibly inconsiderate. I showed up to his house on laundry day and he mocked me in front of our friends for looking dorky! What a dick! Speaking of which, the kid's genitalia has…an issue.
*look away from sharply dressed guy and try to avoid eye contact so that he doesn't bore you with inconsiderate rant, or assault you with defective genitalia*

(yes, this made me happy)

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 19, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Fishmech how many glass users have you mocked in public? Or are you still working your way up to that whole eye contact thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I still have not advocated banning, why you're still trying to get that strawman is beyond me

Because dress codes also exist, so unless you're against those too it seems all a restaurant has to do is ban them for being ugly rather than creepy and then it's all good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Fishmech how many glass users have you mocked in public? Or are you still working your way up to that whole eye contact thing.

None, because I've still yet to see anyone actually use one in public. Which is to be expected because they've sold barely any.

VitalSigns posted:

Because dress codes also exist, so unless you're against those too it seems all a restaurant has to do is ban them for being ugly rather than creepy and then it's all good.

Restaurants can have whatever dress codes they want, who gives a poo poo?

RaySmuckles posted:

Nah, bro, I'm whining that you're hijacking this thread. I'm cool with you not agreeing with me. My opinion: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Your opinion: Everyone else is wrong and I have no duty to society, my community, nor the people around me; in fact, lets make fun of the dorky ones.

That's it. That's where we are. I've read your posts, I get that glass in its current form is a bit of a red herring for people's fears. That doesn't mean I won't try to accommodate them. If people need education, then educate them without being condescending. If they won't listen then move on. That's what I'm going to do. Good luck out there, buddy.

(you're still boring)

I'll actually throw you a bone. Here's my fear:

*look at sharply dressed guy*
"Nintendo Kid"
(Profile Pic of Nintendo Kid in different, equally fashionable clothing)
Google Review:
* (one star)
Posted by RaySmuckles:
This dude is boring and inconsiderate. Avoid at all costs.
*look away from sharply dressed guy and try to avoid eye contact so that he doesn't bore you with inconsiderate rant*

It's cute that you think disagreeing with your wrong ideas is hijacking the thread. Perhaps you should make your own GBS thread or something if being disagreed with makes you so uncomfortable.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 19, 2014

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
It's not just the recording thing that makes people uncomfortable, though I can understand that. Yes, someone can be surreptitiously recording you with a camera in their pocket, but they can't really aim it at my face without making me aware that they are recording me, and they can't take a picture of my face and then run it through face recognition software to see who I am without some kind of manipulations of the phone. It can be easier to trick people into looking straight at the camera for the picture, as well, as people are naturally good at getting someone's attention and making eye contact.

Then there's also the annoying fact that the person you are talking to may be receiving communications from someone else without you knowing it. Try that with an earpiece and a phone and there's a good chance someone will notice or you won't be able to concentrate with two people talking to you at once. I imagine once these become more socially acceptable and widespread there will be PUAs using these for crowdsourced attempts to get sex. The person you are talking to might have a whole chatroom of people watching and listening in, offering suggestions on what to say, or trying to find background information about you. Similar uses of the technology could be used for even more nefarious purposes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do you notice Brian Williams constantly receiving communications from his earpiece?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

SedanChair posted:

Do you notice Brian Williams constantly receiving communications from his earpiece?

Yes, maybe not all the time, but sometimes you can tell in his eyes he is listening to someone. He is also someone who has a great deal of practice speaking with that happening, and not in a conversation. He knows what he's going to be talking about in advance until he gets an update, then it's up to him when he changes subject. Now imagine trying to talk to someone in a normal conversation while multiple other people are in your ear trying to tell you what to say next.

Now imagine talking to someone while you have text in a portion of your vision scrolling up with the suggestions of people. You could take your time to consider which input to regard and when to do it. You know you're never going to miss something the person you were talking to said because of a distracting voice in your ear, nor will you miss an instruction from your handler(s).

There's other information that could be received that would be even more difficult when relying on people with microphones talking to you. Do you want someone reading your conversation partner's criminal history and resume to you while you are trying to talk to them?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
What people need to do is attack glass users so when future glass users approach you they can get your criminal record and know you're liable to assault them. Fight information with information.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I imagine once these become more socially acceptable and widespread there will be PUAs using these for crowdsourced attempts to get sex. The person you are talking to might have a whole chatroom of people watching and listening in, offering suggestions on what to say, or trying to find background information about you.

Look at this luddite, doesn't even know that creepsters giving out pick-up-lines on the fly has been a huge problem for centuries

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
My only Google Glass encounter IRL was taking a piss during SWSW and a dude walks in wearing one and everyone glares at him and he got all hunched over and furtive and washed his hands and left walking real fast. That's it, thats my Google Glass Interaction storoy.

Dodgy Graphite
Jan 25, 2011

I JSUT WANTED TO BBE A MODERATOR
Posting Gloryhole -> Global Stats -> Most Ignored Users ->
Nintendo Kid 267
fishmech 261

^^^^^^^ they're the same person

You people responding to fishmech really need to find the Ignore button.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dodgy Graphite posted:

Nintendo Kid 267
fishmech 261

Eh, he's still a long ways away from matching the glory that was happyelf.

:happyelf:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Technogeek posted:

Eh, he's still a long ways away from matching the glory that was happyelf.

:happyelf:
Happyelf was funny.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dodgy Graphite posted:

Nintendo Kid 267
fishmech 261

I thought the ignore button was for if you need to show a southern belle the forums but you don't want her passing out from the vapours so you ignore people who are frequently liquored up and rude to keep their posts from her delicate eyes or something

Who actually uses it because they disagree with people, jesus

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Crane Fist posted:

I thought the ignore button was for if you need to show a southern belle the forums but you don't want her passing out from the vapours so you ignore people who are frequently liquored up and rude to keep their posts from her delicate eyes or something

I haven't been in DnD that long but I see some posters on that list who would probably give me ocular carcinoma if I was exposed to them for too long.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bedshaped posted:

I haven't been in DnD that long but I see some posters on that list who would probably give me ocular carcinoma if I was exposed to them for too long.

Ruddha is on that list, proving that people posting on a comedy forum are making a specific effort to avoid having to read jokes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crane Fist posted:

People who are fundamentally incapable of handling any argument or disagreement in their lives, because they're usually wrong about things.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Crane Fist posted:

One might say, people who would wish to silence opposing opinions, and due to their profound inability to conduct a proper discussion and possibly due to their own avoidance of exactly such a circumstance accuse others of attempting to silence a healthy discourse. Far be it from me to suggest that any participants in the intellectually demanding environment of this very thread might ever lower themselves to such a base level.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

People who are fundamentally incapable of handling any argument or disagreement in their lives, because they're usually wrong about things.

Or people who are tired of seeing the same poo poo over and over. Like, beyond normal D and D standards.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Or people who are tired of seeing the same poo poo over and over. Like, beyond normal D and D standards.

They're the ones creating that.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
People who don't wish to read the opinions of the mentally ill.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

They're the ones creating that.

In context, this is the funniest thing that could be said.

Wylo
Jan 24, 2007

Are you ready to get pumped?

computer parts posted:

It's at least fair to say that one visual cue of a "hyper nerd" is that they don't understand that strapping a camera to your face is uncomfortable to people.

It's not that I can't understand why someone would be uncomfortable with the idea of perpetual surveillance, it's that the people in question are only getting worked up over their Orwellian nightmare when there happens to be a big, visible camera lens in their immediate field of view and I don't know why someone needs to regulate my behavior to assuage an irrational or misinformed person's neurotic fear of being recorded by a stranger while eating.

TheImmigrant posted:

No, that's not it at all. It's about dislike for people who feel entitled to invade the privacy of others because, like, don't be a racist technophohe!

Do you feel your privacy is being violated whenever somebody is walking behind you while they hold a cell phone? What exactly about Glass poses such a unique threat to your privacy in 2014?

I think lens caps are a good idea that'd go a long way, but what exactly are we gonna do in ten years when Glass is indistinguishable from my regular glasses? How about in twenty-five years, when it's an implant in my eye? Why is it that unreasonable to expect people to be able to emotionally cope with an inevitability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Wylo posted:

It's not that I can't understand why someone would be uncomfortable with the idea of perpetual surveillance, it's that the people in question are only getting worked up over their Orwellian nightmare when there happens to be a big, visible camera lens in their immediate field of view and I don't know why someone needs to regulate my behavior to assuage an irrational or misinformed person's neurotic fear of being recorded by a stranger while eating.

Do you feel your privacy is being violated whenever somebody is walking behind you while they hold a cell phone? What exactly about Glass poses such a unique threat to your privacy in 2014?

I think lens caps are a good idea that'd go a long way, but what exactly are we gonna do in ten years when Glass is indistinguishable from my regular glasses? How about in twenty-five years, when it's an implant in my eye? Why is it that unreasonable to expect people to be able to emotionally cope with an inevitability?
The general answer is because human beings are emotional creatures who made snap judgements, have biases and are flawed in many ways. If you can't understand why they might find it uncomfortable because people are already being filmed constantly by more concealed cameras then you are probably mystified why someone would oppose statistically safe nuclear power and completely bewildered by the tens of millions of Americans who vote against their self interest. People are not rational calculating machines.

Specifically, Google glass combines a number of features that seem to be more unnerving and uncomfortable when all put together. You can't tell when Google class is recording, its pointed face level, it can be communicating its data with any number of people or be saved by some unknown person, etc. The only other similar situation I could think of is someone sitting there and pointing a camera phone at you face and I think you would find that doing this for several minutes in a bust restaurant would also earn you a lot of grief.

• Locked thread