Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheese posted:

Specifically, Google glass combines a number of features that seem to be more unnerving and uncomfortable when all put together. You can't tell when Google class is recording, its pointed face level, it can be communicating its data with any number of people or be saved by some unknown person, etc. The only other similar situation I could think of is someone sitting there and pointing a camera phone at you face and I think you would find that doing this for several minutes in a bust restaurant would also earn you a lot of grief.

I suppose making up capabilities of the device does make it seem more frightening, I'm not sure why that's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I suppose making up capabilities of the device does make it seem more frightening, I'm not sure why that's relevant.
I was hoping someone would bite :smug:

Thanks for proving my point for me - people are not rational.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheese posted:

I was hoping someone would bite :smug:

Thanks for proving my point for me - people are not rational.

So you agree we should make fun of them just as much as we make fun of the Glass wearers, got it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you agree we should make fun of them just as much as we make fun of the Glass wearers, got it.
Sure, you can make fun of people for not understanding that Google glass is incapable of constantly recording and streaming video 24/7, but they are still going to be mad about it and there is still not much you can do to change their minds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheese posted:

Sure, you can make fun of people for not understanding that Google glass is incapable of constantly recording and streaming video 24/7, but they are still going to be mad about it and there is still not much you can do to change their minds.

The point of making fun of people is to make them mad, I don't know why you think that's a downside.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

The point of making fun of people is to make them mad, I don't know why you think that's a downside.

Except the people who are mad are the Google glass users who can't understand why a bunch of drunk locals in a bar in SF/NYC wouldn't use a douschey looking set of prototype tech glasses to target in on the almost exclusively white and male technocrat privileged elite who are driving up their rents. Its not that hard.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheese posted:

Except the people who are mad are the Google glass users who can't understand why a bunch of drunk locals in a bar in SF/NYC wouldn't use a douschey looking set of prototype tech glasses to target in on the almost exclusively white and male technocrat privileged elite who are driving up their rents. Its not that hard.

Yes and I'm glad they're mad. Why shouldn't we want them to be upset?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cheese posted:

The general answer is because human beings are emotional creatures who made snap judgements, have biases and are flawed in many ways. If you can't understand why they might find it uncomfortable because people are already being filmed constantly by more concealed cameras then you are probably mystified why someone would oppose statistically safe nuclear power and completely bewildered by the tens of millions of Americans who vote against their self interest. People are not rational calculating machines.

Specifically, Google glass combines a number of features that seem to be more unnerving and uncomfortable when all put together. You can't tell when Google class is recording, its pointed face level, it can be communicating its data with any number of people or be saved by some unknown person, etc. The only other similar situation I could think of is someone sitting there and pointing a camera phone at you face and I think you would find that doing this for several minutes in a bust restaurant would also earn you a lot of grief.

tl;dr: we need to keep in mind people are dumb mammals.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It is interesting that the on going debate here is part of cementing the public perceptions of "glassholes" as unreasonable people that have no concern or empathy for those that dislike google glass being pointed their direction. It doesn't matter if the detractors are logical or not.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Grognan posted:

"glassholes" as unreasonable people that have no concern or empathy for those that dislike google glass being pointed their direction

They demand empathy as their due (ow my face! stop punching it!), they do not give it to the lesser creatures.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes and I'm glad they're mad. Why shouldn't we want them to be upset?

Because most people aren't complete and total assholes?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

Because most people aren't complete and total assholes?

Most people aren't weird nerds buying lovely Google Glass or weird nerds who are literally scared of Google Glass; and both of those categories are assholes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most people aren't weird nerds buying lovely Google Glass or weird nerds who are literally scared of Google Glass; and both of those categories are assholes.

Welcome to the elevated class of being who lives only to jeer at those groups.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

You think it's ok to go around and harm others for your own amusement. That's hosed up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

You think it's ok to go around and harm others for your own amusement. That's hosed up.

How is posting online that Glass wearers wasted money and look like turbonerds, and virulent glass fearers are paranoic morons harming anyone?

Is this some cyborg rights thing?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

How is posting online that Glass wearers wasted money and look like turbonerds, and virulent glass fearers are paranoic morons harming anyone?

Is this some cyborg rights thing?

Nintendo Kid posted:

You aren't making them mad if you do it from your mother's basement as an anonymous forums poster, I'm not seeing what is so difficult about this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

You aren't making them mad if you do it from your mother's basement as an anonymous forums poster, I'm not seeing what is so difficult about this.

I'm making you mad from bed with my girlfriend so it looks like anger at a distance works after all. Also this thread is definitely lousy with the paranoic lately.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm making you mad from bed with my girlfriend so it looks like anger at a distance works after all. Also this thread is definitely lousy with the paranoic lately.

You were jacking off to making fun of people in public before, and now you're moving the goal posts and threw in a "you mad, bro?" on top? That's a bit rich, even for you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

You were jacking off to making fun of people in public before, and now you're moving the goal posts and threw in a "you mad, bro?" on top? That's a bit rich, even for you.

Do you have that many crows around this time of year? You are clearly angry though, as well as uninformed. I'll give you that much.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hahaha ohh burn brah.

e: Your sad bullying is definitely made less pathetic by coitus, keep it up.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 26, 2014

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

Hahaha ohh burn brah.

e: Your sad bullying is definitely made less pathetic by coitus, keep it up.

Okay but could Batman beat Doctor Who in a fight

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

Maybe if he had some kind of mask mounted augmented reality camcorder glasses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crane Fist posted:

Yes, of course.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

One of my favorite restaurants has a no cell phones policy. Its a very nice place to eat when there isn't some fucker shouting into his phone the next table over. Banning glass is an extension of that.

I'm sure this is totally the slippery slope for drinking fountains for humans and a separate one for cyborgs too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

First they came for the cell phone users, but I said nothing because who the gently caress yells on their cell phone or watches a video at a restaurant?
Then they came for the glassholes, but I said nothing because I wasn't an insufferable rich white techno-fetishist.
Finally they came for me, to take my order, in this nice restaurant not full of assholes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Anosmoman posted:

Maybe if he had some kind of mask mounted augmented reality camcorder glasses.

This is obv. already documented as canon??

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

First they came for the cell phone users, but I said nothing because who the gently caress yells on their cell phone or watches a video at a restaurant?
Then they came for the glassholes, but I said nothing because I wasn't an insufferable rich white techno-fetishist.
Finally they came for me, to take my order, in this nice restaurant not full of assholes.

This wins the Internet.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm making you mad from bed with my girlfriend
Which cell did you get to in your coupling_004.xls this time

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

"hey babe, i'll turn off my laptop in a second, gotta keep posting about google glass. I promise this time baby"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zelder posted:

"hey babe, i'll turn off my laptop in a second, gotta keep posting about google glass. I promise this time baby"

Pssh laptops are for amateurs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Apparently glass is now pointless because (good) smartwatches are just as good or better but don't piss people off: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/android-wear-smartwatches-make-google-glass-obsolete/

I agree that without a display that overlays the user's whole vision (or most of it anyway) you lose the most potentially useful applications of a face computer, like in-place text translation, or a giant navigation arrow that appears to be in the world telling you where to go.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 30, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cicero posted:

without a display that overlays the user's whole vision (or most of it anyway) you lose the most potentially useful applications of a face computer, like in-place text translation, or a giant navigation arrow that appears to be in the world telling you where to go.

Which is the only advantage of a wearable computer over a smartphone.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

cheese posted:

I've never been in a restaurant for 24 hours. Can Glass record for one hour?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Deuce posted:

I've never been in a restaurant for 24 hours. Can Glass record for one hour?

It can do almost an hour if you're fine with the battery being dead at the end. Advanced technology!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So what will be the term for people who take creepshots with their iWatches or iContacts or something? I mean, c'mon, that's totally going to happen. Or will people not care because they'll be too busy fawning over their own new iPrivacyDestroyingBodyMountedDeviceThat'sTotallyCoolAndNotForGoogleTurbonerds?

-Blackadder- posted:

As someone said up thread this technology will invariably be put into normal looking glasses where it's impossible to tell that it's there.

bassguitarhero posted:

No other devices have that problem because they all require you to make a movement that reveals what you're doing with it
That's basically already possible if you leave out the "glasses" part.

The Narrative Clip automatically takes a photo every 30 seconds, has a 1-day battery life, and doesn't look anything like a camera unless you notice the tiny lens on it.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > Banned from McDonalds for refusing to take off my Optimus Prime Vocoder Mask?
French fries are the right of all sentient beings.

skunkape.info posted:

What if face-recognition software advanced to the point where stores could reliably ID customers? Like Walmart noticed you were spending a lot of time perusing the toy aisle and mailed you coupons for MLP dolls.
Target doesn't have face recognition, but the company can already track customers well enough to reliably predict when someone is pregnant.

Eej posted:

Obviously you just slap a portable Qi charger to the side of your head and look like a turbo dork for half an hour before being fully charged and receding back into a regular dork.
No, no, you wear the battery pack on your spine with a giant LED display that slowly decreases as the battery runs out, like that guy in Dead Space.

Spaceman Future! posted:

no one since 1980 asked for a Casio calculator watch, smart watches are a doomed prospect unless you can get them picked up as an interface for something like AR glasses, I guarantee people would rather fiddle with their wrist than walk around with their finger on their temple doing their best Geordi LaForge scanning for sci-fi bullshit impersonation.
I want something where I can put fingers on both temples and use one of those head electrical activity scanning devices to mentally control flying drones covered with cameras. To me, my X-Drones!

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Roadie posted:

So what will be the term for people who take creepshots with their iWatches or iContacts or something? I mean, c'mon, that's totally going to happen. Or will people not care because they'll be too busy fawning over their own new iPrivacyDestroyingBodyMountedDeviceThat'sTotallyCoolAndNotForGoogleTurbonerds?

Most people don't even have a term for creepshots. This isn't as common of an activity as you think it is.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only read to page 4 and then skipped to the end but luckily it looks like it's still going on. I just wanted to say that Nintendo Kid really sounds like a terrible shut-in insisting everyone who responds to him is a terrible shut-in. This thread is basically unreadable because of Nintendo Kid.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

vintagepurple posted:

I only read to page 4 and then skipped to the end but luckily it looks like it's still going on. I just wanted to say that Nintendo Kid really sounds like a terrible shut-in insisting everyone who responds to him is a terrible shut-in. This thread is basically unreadable because of Nintendo Kid.

Welcome to the internet :regd08:

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

vintagepurple posted:

You should see his other account with 20,000 more unreadable posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

vintagepurple posted:

fishmech.txt.

• Locked thread