Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

Yeah, as for stabbing the heart I still have no idea, the best guess I have is Susan stabing herself, and her 'gift of immortality' sealing the wound. Even that has issues though...

Great episode as always. Well, not a happy episode, but...

Despite what the object is described as, the cables at the top make me think it's supposed to represent a spider, or a tick. A parasitic tick. Which in turn, makes me think the situation is more a result of Susan's brush with the Queen of Maggots than a real-world analogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since we've had so many :words: for the last video, let's do three today and just get right to the weird bits for this week.

Episode 4: Sheila
Episode 5: What's up, Doc?

StrangeAeon posted:

Despite what the object is described as, the cables at the top make me think it's supposed to represent a spider, or a tick. A parasitic tick. Which in turn, makes me think the situation is more a result of Susan's brush with the Queen of Maggots than a real-world analogue.

Good observation! It's called the Spider's Heart

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

This game is trippy and sort of depressing, but this LP makes it look interesting enough that I might have to buy it and check it out.

It is a very cool game, and I do encourage everyone to buy it if you like the LP just to support the developer. I will put a link to the store pages in the OP.

However, I wouldn't feel obligated to actually *play* it if you watch the LP all the way though. The controls are a lot more rough than it seems just watching the videos, and it can be kind of a mess. By no means am I saying that you can't play it, of course, just noting that watching is more fun then playing at times.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 1, 2014

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

The Crow was in the first stage as well, wasn't it? Both as a bird, and we saw its image on the wall in the Blue Room. Does that mean it's a subordinate to the Queen of Maggots?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
:aaa: Well, of all the things I was expecting, that... was not even in the first twenty or so. Susan's kinda awesome when she isn't in the grip of a suicidal malaise (incidentally, it is a crime you didn't choose the "They call me the cat lady" option when it came up. A crime, I say! For shame! )

This seems really cool so far. Never even heard of this before...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

(incidentally, it is a crime you didn't choose the "They call me the cat lady" option when it came up. A crime, I say! For shame! )

I prefer to think of her as without a superhero name. Because she's not a hero... she's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Dark Knight crazy cat lady

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Oh god, those screams

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

My patients are my canvas indeed :unsmigghh:
And yeah, I like determined Susan. You can even see it in her eyes in this bit. And I actually kind of like the janky animation for most of this game, it kind of fits with the atmosphere, but the part with the other girl is really shoddy.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Did you [plan to] mention That there's a way to leave without killing the doctor and that there is a second weapon you can make?

Didn't watch all the way through but nothing beyond chapter 2 spoiled there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

curiousCat posted:

Did you [plan to] mention That there's a way to leave without killing the doctor and that there is a second weapon you can make?

Didn't watch all the way through but nothing beyond chapter 2 spoiled there.

Watch the rest of Episode 5. It's all in there.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh boy oh boy. This game. It's essentially a wonderful old World of Darkness Wraith game, and I love it for that alone, but for such a small production background it really pulls off some astounding tricks with music and visuals.

I'm glad the LP is a subbed video, to better show off what The Cat Lady has to offer.

I was curious, then turned off, then I read this. Time to watch.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Awesome, just wanted to make sure. Haven't had the time to watch all the vids but I wanna make sure you're going through it. The last bit of the game is honestly one of the most unsettling things I've ever even thought about.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just watched these before I'm about to go to sleep. Yep, I knew what was coming too. My dreams are going to have revenge on me tonight.

I totally missed that sawblade when I played.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I almost stopped watching at the beginning of the first video because of the graphics, but now I'm glad I didn't. The visuals are actually really nice when you get used to them, and at least so far I've loved the voice acting and the music too.

Chapter 5 was pretty brutal, and it feels like an experience like that would cure a depression pretty fast...

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
This game is absolutely beautiful in both visuals and presentation, despite its... uncomfortable nature. And janky engine.

You're doing a really good job of presenting the game. I've always had a particularly soft spot for games that deal with serious subject matter in a meaningful way, and I'm glad this is getting an LP that's doing it justice.

Yikes though. Game's so impenetrably dark I almost feel bad whenever the very well-written and dry dialogue makes me chuckle.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Just a tiny nitpick: you called Ann a meth addict a few times, but her chart said she was on heroin. Not that that changes the ethics of giving her weird spider blood juice from your nightmares. :v:

I like Susan's newfound gumption, though I'm not sure whether it's in spite of her depression or because of it. Sometimes you get a "gently caress it all" kind of fearlessness you've hit rock bottom, you know? Also, for a weird game called "The Cat Lady" there's been a disturbing lack of creepy talking cats. Hopefully this will be rectified soon. :colbert:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Arelon posted:

I almost stopped watching at the beginning of the first video because of the graphics, but now I'm glad I didn't. The visuals are actually really nice when you get used to them, and at least so far I've loved the voice acting and the music too.

Same, they have this weird sort of charm once you get used to them-the light in the field and forest in the "Afterlife" followed by the monochrome of the hospital with only small splashes of colour was really nice.

I was searching around for more info about this game, and came across a post by the creator on another forum that was pretty interesting (won't link due to spoilers, but it's easy to find yourself). In it he says:

quote:

As most of us, I've had my share of lovely moments in life too, and one thing that always got me through all of them was my strong belief that we can overcome everything if we just keep going and don't give up. I read this poem when I was about 17, and it's really changed my whole life, tought me how to live. It's probably a bit silly to post it here... But what the hell, I will anyway;) If you don't like it, don't read it :p

The poem is this: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178191

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arelon posted:

Chapter 5 was pretty brutal, and it feels like an experience like that would cure a depression pretty fast...

One of the problems that the game has is that the first part of the story is very slow and very chatty, and I imagine that it turns a lot of people off from it. From a visual standpoint the game looks identical to any other "horror adventure game", which may be why it isn't as popular as it probably should be.

Not to say that the game should start rolling in the gore right off the bat, establishing Susan as a character was important. But we had almost forty five minutes of video here that was just you sitting in a room and talking to the doctor. It was recursive as we went through the dialogue tree, but many gamers are impatient and would get turned off by that.

E. I mean, even the whole trippy part in the field of barley was "walk here, walk there, walk here, look at this, walk here, sit and chat with the Old Woman for half an hour"

Also, link to the song during That Part.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 1, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What happens if you drink the red stuff?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Just caught up. Very :stare:.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

What happens if you drink the red stuff?

Nothing, she just notes that she is already on enough drugs and drinking it would probably kill her.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
This game is amazing, and it's great that you're doing this. Although the art style is different, it reminds me, mood wise, of the living world in Grim Fandango.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I let out an audible groan when we got to the "one of us lies, one of us tells the truth" puzzle. The writing has been a bit hit or miss with me, and doctor was a bit... over the top, but this seems pretty good so far. Hopefully the puzzle design is not that lazy through the rest of the game though.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Enjoying the videos so far, these obscure adventure games always make the best LPs.

endolithic posted:

Just a tiny nitpick: you called Ann a meth addict a few times, but her chart said she was on heroin. Not that that changes the ethics of giving her weird spider blood juice from your nightmares. :v:
I noticed that too. The medical paper said Ann was a heroin addict, and was prescribed Methadone (not Methamphetamine) for the withdrawals, which is probably why there was confusion. It's interesting to note Ann's choice to stay at the hospital on her own will, though. It's true that Methadone is given to heroin junkies to help with the withdrawals, but what also tends to happen is those junkies end up becoming addicted to the actual Methadone, which does give a high on its own. So some true addicts will bounce back and forth between these drugs, never truly being free from the addiction. Ann probably comes and goes when it's time to switch to Methadone, which is easier to get when you're given a prescription for it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

the Gaffe posted:

The medical paper said Ann was a heroin addict, and was prescribed Methadone (not Methamphetamine) for the withdrawals, which is probably why there was confusion. It's interesting to note Ann's choice to stay at the hospital on her own will, though. It's true that Methadone is given to heroin junkies to help with the withdrawals, but what also tends to happen is those junkies end up becoming addicted to the actual Methadone, which does give a high on its own. So some true addicts will bounce back and forth between these drugs, never truly being free from the addiction. Ann probably comes and goes when it's time to switch to Methadone, which is easier to get when you're given a prescription for it.

Yeah, in my research for this episode I was reading up on Methadone and got the wires crossed in my head. Dammit, I'm a chemist, I academically know how to make meth, I should know the difference between them.

And that is a good point with the rest. Ann is very clearly addicted to something that the nurses are giving her, which turns out to be the Methadone (crazy spider heart fever dreams nonwithstanding). She desperately wants the heroin again, but seems relatively content to settle for second best as long as it makes her high.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

mks5000 posted:

I let out an audible groan when we got to the "one of us lies, one of us tells the truth" puzzle. The writing has been a bit hit or miss with me, and doctor was a bit... over the top, but this seems pretty good so far. Hopefully the puzzle design is not that lazy through the rest of the game though.

The director never heard of the puzzle before and decided to put it in when one of his co-workers told him about it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm enjoying the cosmology of this game, the notion that everyone's dreams are linked together, perhaps by place by place. You could enter Ann's dream and find out things you wouldn't know. The CROW is a weird character, love the eye motif with him and his voice. Everything we meet in the world of the dead seems to be...unpleasant. Queen of Maggots urging us to kill, CROW just loving with us for no reason...is he a demigod too? Is he a servant of the Queen? Or perhaps he's merely a crow, whatever that might mean. Liz is a ghost, or perhaps an emotional echo on the place. Does she want revenge? She was clearly a victim of the Doctor too.

Very curious. I wonder if the Queen of Maggots will show up again or not, I kind of miss her mockery.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
Well I went and bought the game because these last two videos really piqued my interest.

I do find it hilarious that Susan spends ten minutes lovingly hand-assembling a spear from various bits and pieces while a woman screams wildly in a nearby room, when she could have just... y'know, stabbed him with the pointy piece of metal. Or bashed his skull in with the chair leg. Adventure game logic!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Well I went and bought the game because these last two videos really piqued my interest.

I do find it hilarious that Susan spends ten minutes lovingly hand-assembling a spear from various bits and pieces while a woman screams wildly in a nearby room, when she could have just... y'know, stabbed him with the pointy piece of metal. Or bashed his skull in with the chair leg. Adventure game logic!

I just write it off as "if I am going to go up against a murderous psychopath I want an actual weapon."

I may have to go back and get footage of the mace you can make with the saw blade because that really is less "improvised weapon" and more "post apocalyptic roleplayer". Seriously, it's a saw blade attacked to a pole by a bolt and topped with a creepy doll head.

E. Anyone interested in trying the game for themselves or supporting the dev, it's on sale for a weekly deal on Steam.

VVVV Huh, I must just be misremembering things or reading it wrong. The mace needs to be put together in a very specific order, so you can get a lot of "You can't use that" notes while putting it together.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 2, 2014

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just write it off as "if I am going to go up against a murderous psychopath I want an actual weapon."

I may have to go back and get footage of the mace you can make with the saw blade because that really is less "improvised weapon" and more "post apocalyptic roleplayer". Seriously, it's a saw blade attacked to a pole by a bolt and topped with a creepy doll head.

I saw footage of a guy making both weapons, actually. You don't need the bolt, you use the doll head to secure the saw blade

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

The director never heard of the puzzle before and decided to put it in when one of his co-workers told him about it.

I was wondering about that too, the game plays it so straight, even though it's one everybody knows.

I'm amazed he managed to live 20+ years without hearing it.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
You officially sold me on this game. I picked it up to shovel some money at the creator. :cheers:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, choose-your-own-one-liner takes a lot out of the drama of a situation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

Man, choose-your-own-one-liner takes a lot out of the drama of a situation.

There's a few of these moments in the game and every single one of them is amazing. They completely kill the drama, of course, but that just makes them even more hilarious.

General chat, this set is going to be a couple days late, I have stuff going on this weekend that isn't conductive to the macabre so it'll be up Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest.

VVVV Glad you liked it! :cheers: I am surprised you made it through the apartment without breaking down on your first run, that involves quite a bit of luck.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 8, 2014

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
Well, in my wait for updates, I decided I'd try to play through the game myself, because I was curious how the story would go. I ended up playing through the whole game in almost a single sitting, and got the secret ending entirely by accident, which made me very pleased with myself.

I'll still be following this LP, but at least now I'm not so anxious for updates. Thank you very much for introducing me to this game that I'd never heard of and would have otherwise completely overlooked. I won't say it was fun, but it definitely was an experience.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just watched the last episode. I only have this to say.

Is asking the question actually important? Can you brute-force that puzzle?

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
No, you can't brute force the puzzle. Asking any question other than the right one results in both doors being the 'wrong' one, to my knowledge.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

No, you can't brute force the puzzle. Asking any question other than the right one results in both doors being the 'wrong' one, to my knowledge.

Is the door that's lit up the right door or the answer to your query?

I'm unclear whether the Crow's fatalistic speech is intended to be the reward or punishment , given that our role seems to be to make Susan feel less impotent.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm unclear whether the Crow's fatalistic speech is intended to be the reward or punishment , given that our role seems to be to make Susan feel less impotent.
The door that is lit up is the answer to the question. So, the unlit door is the one you go in for the 'reward'.

It's a lovely reward, for several reasons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Our role is to make Susan stronger, yes, but that doesn't jive *completely* with the Otherworld's citizens. They are trying to help in their own cruel roundabout way but they also demand compliance and servitude so it is a mixed hat.

Ultimately Crow wants you to pick the preachy door, which is why the right door shows up lit (the questions causes the "wrong" door to light up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So is there a way to not die to the "parasites" or do you always end up blowing out a candle and killing someone to move the plot forward?

• Locked thread