Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

With every other paragraph in the OP having a trigger warning I didn't expect this to turn into a comedy in the later half. I think the point the game officially lost me was "my boyfriend was killed ... by a troll!" At this point things just got irreversibly silly. A shame too, because a suicide cult seems like a perfect antagonist in a story about depression if it wasn't for that absolutely silly reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

a cartoon duck posted:

With every other paragraph in the OP having a trigger warning I didn't expect this to turn into a comedy in the later half. I think the point the game officially lost me was "my boyfriend was killed ... by a troll!" At this point things just got irreversibly silly. A shame too, because a suicide cult seems like a perfect antagonist in a story about depression if it wasn't for that absolutely silly reveal.

Honestly, I think it is the LP format that kills it. All those trigger warnings were from my memories from the first time through, and when you are playing it by yourself all the somber stuff hits you a hell of a lot harder to the point of overshadowing things like Susan The Cat God. My playing slapstick with it and having people make jokes in the thread kind of changes the tone overall.

New episode is coming, don't worry all. I am in the middle of changing jobs so paperwork and stuff takes precedence

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
You can make it even sillier depending on what options you choose in an upcoming segment and it's supposed to be.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, my roomate and I played this game and while we thought it was overall very good, it was really silly in parts. We did agree that some parts were stronger than others and that overall the first half is stronger than the second though, even if we liked sleuthing around the apartment complex (which should be next video I think).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

You can make it even sillier depending on what options you choose in an upcoming segment and it's supposed to be.

Which we are going to do OF COURSE because that made me bang my head against the table from laughing after hours of tension.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Bumping the thread to keep it from the archives and of course in the hopes of an update some day...

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Seconding the hope for an update. I was really enjoying this! :(

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Based on the warnings in the first post (and what I've seen watching all the videos), this game is very much to me like the original Last House On The Left, which seesaws from incredibly horrible to almost wacky absurdity so hard it's like the director was bipolar, or cut two different films together. At first it's all heavy duty suicide stuff, and then suddenly you get stuff like random voiceless hammer murderer being eaten by cats. Strange as heck and I do want to see how it ends.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the reactions going forward from everyone.

Plus the second look has been great for me as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh hey, maybe I should actually post this.

Episode 13: Legend Of The Cat Lady

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Yay, it's back!

The nanny thing seemed like an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but I guess it's just adventure game logic where the side characters are meaningless. Really enjoyed the music though, very fitting.

Also, I'm getting a bad feeling about Mitzi what with the lock picking "secrets" and all...

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hi there, I hope this means you're settled now.

That's actually some really decent comedy done in this episode, and what's interesting, is that it should have ruined the serious tone of exploring mental illness and suicide, but... it doesn't, really? At least, not for me. I still notice the really silly bits, like Mr. Speechless Stalker and his fate, but upon reflection of the game as a whole... it mostly works, I find. Heck, if I were playing this game for my self, I'd probably welcome such breaks in tension, especially after the weirdness with Joe last episode, and the end of this one... gah :gonk: Still working out the point of that one. To tell the player you cant fix everything, and they'll always be parasites? Or to remind susan that there's always somebody worse off than she? Or just a bit of creepiness? I'unno.

I thought the episode was great, really. The wacky hijinks with the mother and the nanny was some great door-slam farce straight out of a sit-com, and everyone likes a jerk getting his (especially if a GIANT ZOMBIE CAT-("That's really stupid!" Sorry, Mitzi)- is involved.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

er

resurgam40 posted:

and the end of this one... gah :gonk: Still working out the point of that one. To tell the player you cant fix everything, and they'll always be parasites? Or to remind susan that there's always somebody worse off than she? Or just a bit of creepiness? I'unno.

I don't think that it's really that complicated, more it's just the dev having to explain what really happened to the wife. Honestly, as much shock value as the scene has, I liked the ambiguity of the Otherworld scene better.

We're incredibly close to the end, so I'm hoping to have the LP finished by Sunday.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't think that it's really that complicated, more it's just the dev having to explain what really happened to the wife. Honestly, as much shock value as the scene has, I liked the ambiguity of the Otherworld scene better.

I've heard it's a reference to their previous game Downfall. It's just probably just some kinda fan-service really.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Rhygezenguro posted:

I've heard it's a reference to their previous game Downfall. It's just probably just some kinda fan-service really.

From what I can puzzle out, the previous game, Downfall was about Joe going through his own bizarre adventures, except in his case he was really going completely crazy and murdering everyone he met, because he couldn't handle his wife being anorexic or something. Apparently he's now holed up in the same flats Susan is, torturing his wife in complete and utter delusion, and briefly crossing Susan's path. Considering the Queen of Maggots apparently shows up in Game 1 too, maybe it's fate.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

From what I can puzzle out, the previous game, Downfall was about Joe going through his own bizarre adventures, except in his case he was really going completely crazy and murdering everyone he met, because he couldn't handle his wife being anorexic or something. Apparently he's now holed up in the same flats Susan is, torturing his wife in complete and utter delusion, and briefly crossing Susan's path. Considering the Queen of Maggots apparently shows up in Game 1 too, maybe it's fate.

That is correct. In Downfall Joe and his wife went to the hotel to give her some time away to help overcome her anorexia. After murdering half the state, Joe fled with his wife to Susan's apartment and now has her locked up. With his mind completely gone, he has taken to force-feeding her purees of human body parts to try and "cure" her.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I forgot about Zombie Cat. :3:

I wish they would have kept the wife/horror in the overworld too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just caught up with this. Thanks for doing this LP, I am a sucker for artsy, depressing games and I'm glad that I dodged the awful gameplay bullet with this one.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is correct. In Downfall Joe and his wife went to the hotel to give her some time away to help overcome her anorexia. After murdering half the state, Joe fled with his wife to Susan's apartment and now has her locked up. With his mind completely gone, he has taken to force-feeding her purees of human body parts to try and "cure" her.

I like that this is the author's idea of "fanservice". I'm glad it is there though, that part was really necessary to get us back in the proper mood after all the ridiculous campy stuff lately.

The sitcom hijinx were fun though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Any idea when the last part will be put up?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose that's one kind of sequel bait. Kind of like Diablo II, if you squint and drink at the same time.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished playing this and had a lot of fun. I started off thinking it was a serious, grim game but have laughed way too many times to take it seriously.

It reminds me of Deadly Premonition at times; the music being louder than the voices, or just stopping abruptly, really stilted language, terrible voice acting - but I've still enjoyed it.

I love the many weird pronunciations of words (if they really are UK voice actors, they are very inconsistent) and how the VAs speak lines which have strange grammar, when it surely must feel wrong.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I suppose I should offer an update

I was intending to show off the non-canon "Golden Ending", as stated before. However, when I actually finished the game I found that it was just the normal, canon ending despite hitting what I thought was all the flags. So I had to go back and play the whole...drat...thing over again to try and make sure the flags are in sync.

I'm almost through it, if it goes to canon again then I'm saying gently caress it and posting the video.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I wonder if DSW got the canon ending again and decided to give it one more try.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

I wonder if DSW got the canon ending again and decided to give it one more try.

Pretty much. I am starting to think this might be a bug in my copy of the game. I have been idly having it run the motions in the background while I do other things, first with the standard set of motions, then again with a second obscure set of requirements. The unfortunate thing is that it is an esoteric method to get it so the method is kinda flaky.

Ended up borrowing a laptop from my girlfriend to try and see if it is my computer or what. Updates to follow

Luckily its not a long game but hrrrrr

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

DreamShipWrecked: "I love this game!"

Thread/Game Happens

DreamShipWrecked: "This game..."

To be fair, I'm right there with you. :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

DreamShipWrecked: "I love this game!"

Thread/Game Happens

DreamShipWrecked: "This game..."

To be fair, I'm right there with you. :v:

Doing an LP is like working at a restaurant that you like. It always dampens your love just by repeating things over and over

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

At long last.

Episode 14: Choice

I hope that you have all enjoyed this romp through The Cat Lady. Sadly I wasn't able to get the Golden Ending to work, but I'm happy with the note that we left on.

There are many things about the scenario presented that are left unanswered, the most glaring of which being "How does the Queen Of Maggots, which Susan says is a representation of her clinical depression, give Susan the ability to warp reality and never die"? There's a few cases where Susan resoundingly does not give a poo poo about the laws of the universe: when she repeatedly rose from the dead, when she pulled a physical object out of a hallucinogenic drug haze in the Hospital level, the appearance of Sam depending on your answers for her quiz, and the various deaths caused by blowing out candles. While it is tempting to simply write it off as creative license, these things had very real consequences for the story and probably needed a bit more of an explanation. That being said, in a game with surreal backings like this one perhaps some things are better left unexplained. Perhaps alternative interpretations can be presented.

But all that aside, I had fun, and I'm glad it's over. As Mitzi would say, "Me and Mizz A. wish you the very best".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanks for the journey. It was an interesting view. If you don't mind my asking, what happens in the us attained golden ending?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, seriously thank you for the LP. This was an interesting game and it's always nice to see the more obscure games get "publicity". It got a little bit silly at times but all in all it was enjoyable to the last minute.

I'm sure it was a slog to play through multiple times, but as a viewer the effort is really appreciated.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Good job! Does make you wonder who rigged up the fish tank gas trap, though. All in all, a very solid Let's Play, thank you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

xrunner posted:

Thanks for the journey. It was an interesting view. If you don't mind my asking, what happens in the us attained golden ending?

In the "Golden Ending" Mitzi spontaneously makes a full recovery and does not die of cancer, and her and Susan live happily ever after. It is non-Canon because Mitzi was too far along to make a recovery and it was really just rewriting the story for the sake of good feelings.

AJ_Impy posted:

Good job! Does make you wonder who rigged up the fish tank gas trap, though. All in all, a very solid Let's Play, thank you.

It is implied that the old man is facilitating all of Adam's evil stuff out of intense guilt due to his condition. Why that would manifest in making fishtanks of death, I don't know. But he is very clearly aware that his grandson has been murdering all these people, and he knows the function of the tank due to the gas mask, so he has at least some part in it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 27, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Here's the Golden Ending from a video walkthough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mb4_fESV4Q&t=20062s
(5h 34m 24 seconds if youtube does not auto-jump there.)

I still love this game, but I can laugh at it now too. Thanks for all your hard work DreamShipWrecked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Here's the Golden Ending from a video walkthough.

I still love this game, but I can laugh at it now too. Thanks for all your hard work DreamShipWrecked.

See, I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy! -cackles maniacally- it does exist!

Not sure what flags I missed but frankly, to hell with it.

I'm glad that people enjoyed the LP. It's a game that definitely deserved one, aside from all the various shades of brown on YouTube.

It does make me giggle that I opened up the weekly deals on Steam today and The Cat Lady was first on the list. :ghost:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I actually thought the confrontation with the eye was really interesting.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks for the LP, definitely interesting to watch, but not something I'd enjoy hammering though.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

In the "Golden Ending" Mitzi spontaneously makes a full recovery and does not die of cancer, and her and Susan live happily ever after. It is non-Canon because Mitzi was too far along to make a recovery and it was really just rewriting the story for the sake of good feelings.
Meh, while it is wishful thinking, people making unexpected recoveries isn't too rare. Though, I'd wager it is less "you are making a miraculous recovery!" and more "we screwed up the test and drastically understated your chances"

Am I alone in finding the game's treatment of medical intervention to be off-putting? While the medical system can be cold and impersonal, "You can do it, it will get better!" isn't as reliable as modern medications when someone needs to needs to find the will to get out of bed and drag themselves to a soul-crushing job because they need to work for a living, unlike Susan. I know that the former helps, and can make all the difference sometimes, but to ignore the latter seems foolhardy.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Burzmali posted:

Am I alone in finding the game's treatment of medical intervention to be off-putting? While the medical system can be cold and impersonal, "You can do it, it will get better!" isn't as reliable as modern medications when someone needs to needs to find the will to get out of bed and drag themselves to a soul-crushing job because they need to work for a living, unlike Susan. I know that the former helps, and can make all the difference sometimes, but to ignore the latter seems foolhardy.
I honestly interpreted it as Susan didn't bother getting medicated because she was literally alone and that probably did not help with well, getting help. The epilogue strikes me as it wasn't "just" finding other people to talk to, but it was the first step because while the depression was certainly a big part of her life she needed to starting living a new one again entirely given what happened to her.

Anyway, thank you for showcasing the game, it certainly was a different one!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I admit I laughed at "Tomato is a fruit, silly!"

This game has a really weird way of making all the cheesy bits work despite being rather bleak. It is too bad that the campy humor kind of overshadows the (otherwise pretty good) creepy ambience by the end of the story. Still a pretty interesting game though! Thanks for showing it off.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Just now catching up with the LP and this hit closer to home than I think it ought to. I blame it on the conversations and back stories. What an interesting little game and great job showing it off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My Face When posted:

Just now catching up with the LP and this hit closer to home than I think it ought to. I blame it on the conversations and back stories. What an interesting little game and great job showing it off.

That is one of the great things about the game, it "gets" characterization. Sure there is a lot of "action sequences" but you also have things like Mitzi teaching Susan about Facebook that does a lot for the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Thank you for showing off this game. It was a really good LP, and I'm looking forward to whatever you'll be LPing next.

I feel that the music in The Cat Lady doesn't get enough praise.

• Locked thread