Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well! This was an interesting game you showed us; it bounced around in tone a little more than I perhaps would done, but it's the most original game in a long time that I've seen, and I have to admit it all works in the end. Thanks for showing it to us, Dream!

I don't know that I prefer the Golden Ending, really; it just seems to pat, and... well, I've known some people who've died of cancer and other horrible things, so I don't really like it when a story just cavalierly gets rid of an illness like that, because of the Power of Love or of doing things "right" or whatever. It just cheapens the whole idea of illness, and seems to blame the survivor by not doing enough. Maybe that makes me a bitter rear end in a top hat, but that's how I feel.

But I admit I did tear up a bit toward the end. I also appreciate the ultimate lesson that there is no "magic bullet" way of living with depression; you just live with it, and take what help you can along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well Susan turned out to be a super hero with amazing powers to control cats, have 9 lives, and pull physical objects out of unreality, so it's not exactly out of the ordinary in the world the game established to have someone spontaneously cured of cancer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly I wouldn't have been all that surprised if at the end it had revealed that it all was a fever dream induced by all the pills Susan took at the start.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
As someone who recovered from depression in a non-medical way, I can say that sometimes chronic depression is due to environmental factors, and differs greatly from clinical depression, which is a genuine chemical imbalance.

I wasn't depressed because of brain chemicals, I was depressed because I was broke, lonely, and didn't really have much in the way of prospects for a better life. Much like Susan, busy dwelling on past failures and blaming yourself for everything wrong with life. The sickness of dwelling, of living in the past and never allowing yourself to let go.

Personally, purpose did the trick. My daughter was born, and I rededicated my life to her. Through purpose, I found peace. Susan's arc, while batshit, alien, and jankily written, kinda hits a few notes with me in the end. She overcame hell itself, and dedicates her time to helping others do the same.

Thank you for showing me this game, on a personal level. I have some friends who might need to see this, flaws and all.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

CielynGizmo posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but the pest control guy was voiced by David Firth, creator of Salad Fingers and many other surreal British cartoons. I wouldn't be suprised if the creator was heavily influenced by Firth's work.

Also chiming in to say that you're doing a great job on this LP, this is the sort of game I'd love to play but my laptop is a piece of poo poo so I'm glad you're presenting it in this style.

I thought the art style was a lot like David Firth's, didn't know it was him who did the pest control guy voice. The game looks a lot like his cartoons on Fat-Pie, it really reminded me of the Roof Tiling one: http://www.fat-pie.com/bwrt.htm

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do kind of wonder how much of the game was "real", and how much of it was a journey through Mrs. A's depression and/or paranoia.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

I do kind of wonder how much of the game was "real", and how much of it was a journey through Mrs. A's depression and/or paranoia.

I did kind of plan out the game in my head assuming that most of the supernatural stuff was made up.

Susan overdoses on pills but Mitzi takes her to the hospital, where she is treated. She has a nice conversation with the nurse, tries to break out by giving the wrong drugs to a rehab patient that she stole from the nurses, and is caught. During the conversation with the doctor she has an episode, and someone (Mitzi) takes her home to recover. Susan has a bit of time to relax before the neighbor sets her off again. When Mitzi comes along she reluctantly agrees to let her stay. When the exterminator comes to destroy the cats she flips out, kills him, and hides the body in an abandoned apartment. Afterwards she comes to her senses at home. Susan and Mitzi break into people's houses in order to find the Eye, but Susan sends Mitzi back for a power lead so she doesn't discover the body of the exterminator. Later, when they find the Eye, Susan takes the mask, lives, and kills the Eye.

It's really the only thing that could explain the story, just massive episodes of psychosis.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Just finished watching this, and drat. This is definitely made by someone who learned a lot about the affliction, and going through it all was harrowing. And yet, somehow pretty cathartic as well.

Could have used an editor and some more tightening, but what couldn't? the art style was grating at first, but I gradually got used to it. I even like the stilted, awful voice acting, because it actually helps with the atmosphere.

...on a more personal note, I kind of want to talk about the flashback with Eric, because jesus did that ever hit hard. ...I and my mother are sort of in that same situation, although not with a child and (thank the loving lord) not married. We basically have to wait until our lease is up so he can get the hell out of our lives, since my mother put him on the lease when she was in love with him.

And it's just...the words in the background, and the entire argument....I actually took really heavy offense when I was reading the thread and someone said Eric was over the top, because he's pretty much EXACTLY how the alcoholic that's currently in my life is. You have to walk around on eggshells - the 'hide the flowers before he gets home' and the words in the back going "where can I hide them" over and over in anxiety was like a flashback to the last couple of months. I'll admit that wow, he almost got blown up and that shakes a person up like crazy - but from the options susan has, him drinking and arguing with her isn't a one off. he does it enough for her to bring it up ("I shouldn't be taking any of this seriously. I know tomorrow you;ll be apologizing to me for it" is just. god. way too close to home). Honestly, saying that 'she could do more things' is loving awful because guess what? Nothing's ever right, and you just cannot win or please them at all. Especially when she may have already been beginning to suffer from depression (and desperately trying to push it down in order to keep a family for her child).

...Sorry. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Eric was incredibly familiar and not 'over-the-top' or 'poorly written' at all - and people who have been through the same thing I am have gone "yeah, whoever made this definitely knew what it was like to live with someone like this." It seems almost cartoonish and definitely stereotypical - but that's often how it is.

I'm actually glad someone can call that bit that way, because it means they haven't had to live through that. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

In less personal topics, I actually prefer the canon path for everything - because people mess up and make mistakes, and life sometimes ends on bittersweet notes.

And that's okay.

As for the supernatural stuff..../loud shrugging noises I think those could have definitely been implimented better, ngl. But at the very least, this is a game that hit me hard, flaws and all. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, DreamShipWrecked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Glad to see that you enjoyed it! It can be very powerful.

One point of contention, I believe that Eric only a mild alcoholic until after they lost the baby. My impression was that she was hiding the flowers more due to the fact that they were from someone she was having an affair with.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One point of contention, I believe that Eric only a mild alcoholic until after they lost the baby. My impression was that she was hiding the flowers more due to the fact that they were from someone she was having an affair with.

I suppose so (and it is different from my own situation so I'm probably seeing things that aren't there) but even mild alcoholism can be incredibly damaging if someone's using it to take care of their problems. the dude I'm living with could be considered a mild alcoholic, and it's still something that's basically hurting everyone involved. The affair thing probably didn't register due to seeing that and having it hit me right in the face, so fair point.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I interpreted it as them being from an unwanted suitor/stalker, and that she had no good way to dispose of them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hedera Helix posted:

I interpreted it as them being from an unwanted suitor/stalker, and that she had no good way to dispose of them.

I think it's a little of both. They had one "date", interpret that as you will, and now he won't stop calling her and sending flowers and such. Based off your conversation choices she can be confrontational and cold towards him (what we did) or be reluctant but flattered by the attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Posting to make sure the thread doesn't get purged before it is put in the Archive.

Cats are good

• Locked thread