Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
In FNT-legends news, Fabien Barthez is apparently driving a Ferrari around Le Mans right now. I did not know he had switched to vroom vrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Mash posted:

In FNT-legends news, Fabien Barthez is apparently driving a Ferrari around Le Mans right now. I did not know he had switched to vroom vrooms

Yeah he won a few races in French gt and is rated as 'not poo poo' apparently

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Mash posted:

Djorkaeff, Leboeuf and Lizarazu are doing commentating for TF1 this world cup.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Phwoar, I loved that 1998 team.

(And the greatest of them all)

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lizarazu is a bit serious and if I remember Leboeuf is a pro tier banter man.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Ugh, '98 WC French players are commentating the french feed? How I wish I knew french. :v:

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Quantumfate posted:

Ugh, '98 WC French players are commentating the french feed? How I wish I knew french. :v:

You're not really missing anything. They're not very good.

Happy with the way we played overall. A bit too much diving for my taste, but Honduras played dirty as hell.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

A lot of that diving seemed to be paid off in full with the Hondurans trying to kneecap players! Still, feeling really great about french chances right now, and pretty happy with that match. Valbuena did good, Benzema did good, team actually played together.

MVP of the french team though:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
are they going to win today

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Remember how in 2006 this forum was unanimous that "no loving way will France ever make it past the group stage/Spain/Brazil/Portugal"?

I remember every drop of your delicious tears.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

canuckanese posted:

are they going to win today

Last three times we faced Switzerland were draws. They haven't beaten us since like 1992 though.

Red Lives
Nov 20, 2007

shadok posted:

Remember how in 2006 this forum was unanimous that "no loving way will France ever make it past the group stage/Spain/Brazil/Portugal"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We're gonna beat the Swiss

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

shadok posted:

All the babies crying after the headbutt and saying Zidane could have killed him was hilarious.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

shadok posted:

France were my surprise pre-tournament favorite in 2006. Wearing my 2006 Zidane jersey right now in preparation for another run :toot:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, what is this am I seeing? Actual cohesion, teamwork. Strong center, quick attacks - I am optimistic.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I'm surprised too. I thought the Swiss would be an actual challenge, but France have played like an actual team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
UEFA SUPREMACY LADS UEFA ALL THE WAY I LOVE UEFA AS A THING

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Gigi Galli posted:

lol

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Gigi Galli posted:

hahaha

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Seems like Benzema wasn't actually going through a drought, just saving up his goals for the WC.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Have i mentioned my french grandfather vif ler france and all that, chaps

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
merveilleux! magnifique! Switzerland you suck!

Ulu
Nov 7, 2005
Allez, just because the country's happy right now , let's hear it one more time : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I watch loving Ligue Un you'd better believe I'm going to get on this hype train.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ulu posted:

Allez, just because the country's happy right now , let's hear it one more time : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

Fiuckin hell how have I never seen this before?

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Valbuena is better for the French national side than Ribery

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte

Reprisal posted:

C'est vrai.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reprisal posted:

Imagine playing both of them either side of this strange Benzema who has remembered how to score goals.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Imagine playing both of them either side of this strange Benzema who has remembered how to score goals.

Heh, imagine that. What I don't get is that they played without Pogba almost the whole game, who was supposed to be the base of their whole strategy and they did fine!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, imagine if Ribery had come along with this team as well and they had managed to integrate him into the team, that would be fully sick imo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Syncopated posted:

Yeah, imagine if Ribery had come along with this team as well and they had managed to integrate him into the team, that would be fully sick imo.

Too ugly, he never would have fit in.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Sekenr posted:

Heh, imagine that. What I don't get is that they played without Pogba almost the whole game, who was supposed to be the base of their whole strategy and they did fine!

where did you get the idea that pogba was the central piece of the team? France have a lot more options than "basing their strategy on pogba", which is why in a more demanding game cissoko took pogba's place. More important is the fact that benzema was moved to the left and replaced griezmann, leaving space for giroud to bring a more pressing attacking strategy. Pogba only entered the field when France had already enough goals that they did not need to press harder and wanted some balance around the midfield.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The most shocking thing about yesterday was seeing Giroud sprint the length of the pitch for Valbuena's goal.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Pogba was seen playing Football Manager on the flight home:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Is he playing as France?

e. no its obviously Chelsea

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

His thread in Let's Play is a great read as well

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

canuckanese posted:

merveilleux! magnifique! Switzerland you suck!

I know :(
*travels home by train*
*actually arrives*

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

code:
            Cech
Azpilicueta ? Cahill Asamoah
       Pogba Lampard
?         Oscar      Hazard
            ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

code:
            Cech
Azpilicueta ? Cahill Asamoah
       Pogba Lampard
?         Oscar      Hazard
            ?

It's Juan Mata on the right of the 3, Ivanovic beside Cahill, and Jese up front I think. Having Jese and Juan Mata both in the team implies it's a game he's been playing for a while, too, since before the January transfer update.

I absolutely love it that he bought and plays himself. If I were a footballer that's literally the first thing I would do in any FM game.

• Locked thread