Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Why don't they teach algorithms for computing digits of square roots anymore? No wonder we're falling behind in math.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Al Borland posted:

I think how they do this is stupid:

I look at it as 26+4 = 30 that's easy so then add 13. 43.

The cool thing is that they are supposed to encourage you to solve it in whatever way is easy for you. There's many paths to the same goal, not just a robotic algorithm.

This becomes important later down the line when you don't have an easy algorithm to tell you how to rearrange a function in order to integrate.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress the ROW posted:

I don't know if I'd call holding large numbers in your head a 'robotic algorithm' and your entire second paragraph seems like nonsense

I'm referring to the algorithm where you line up the two numbers and add or subtract each column in turn.

For the second paragraph, I'm thinking of stuff like this: http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/complete_sq/

You have to get used to manipulating functions in whatever way makes it easier.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'd have to see the lesson but I'm guessing that they're getting students to arbitrarily split the number 5 into two smaller sections. It's pretty much practicing 1+4=5, 2+3=5, 3+2=5, 4+1=5. The key difference is that they force the student to choose how to divide it up instead of just telling them 'Color 2 blocks red, and 3 blocks blue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Does the minuend or the subtrahend come first?

• Locked thread