Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
its the american dream a true melting pot where anyone can make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

fat greasy puto posted:

nationality, citizenship, language spoken? we don't care. get your kicks in the land of opportunity, on the united states mens national team

thats brazil, a country that is actually good at football

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

you'd think that they'd pick better players to steal

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
All the good ones chose other countries.

Imagine Rossi ready to come on as a sub for Jozy after Big Joz wears down the defense all match with that big beautiful bod! Phwoar

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
USMNT will get a result against Portugal. Mark it down.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Sad to see GUy Rossi, the traitorous turncoat he is, playing for "la azzuri"

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Fag Boy Jim posted:

USMNT will get a result against Portugal. Mark it down.

they'll lose 69-0 with Ronaldo scoring all the goals and Jozy eating poo poo on the ground

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tetsman posted:

they'll lose 69-0 with Ronaldo scoring all the goals and Jozy eating poo poo on the ground

quote:

Let's be realistic here. This Ghana team is inferior to the one in 2010. Read what the people who know are saying about it: they have more solid players, but they're all in midfield and attack. Their defense is a couple of notches below the one in 2010. And they can only field 4 or 5 mids. A better pool, with a worse distribution of talent, translates into a weaker team.

And we took the stronger 2010 Ghana to extra time. When our LB was Bornstein, a Chivas USA player. By comparison, now our LB is going to be either Johnson, or Beasley. Both from teams MUCH superior to Chivas USA.

I want this thought to sink in, and sink in well: Ghana 2010 > Ghana 2014, and USA 2010 < USA 2014. And we took them to extra-time in 2010. And we're supposed to have superior coaching this time around. Expecting a good result versus Ghana this time around is not irrational.

Now Portugal. They needed a play-off to qualify because they are a one-man team. Portugal 2014 is the _definition_ of a one-man team. Ronaldo doesn't show versus Sweden, they wouldn't be in Brazil. Portugal in 2002 had better players in more positions than this one. And they didn't even need a play-off, they qualified straight away. 2002 Portugal didn't lose a single match in the qualifying games! And guess who was in their group: NETHERLANDS! In 2002, Portugal beat Netherlands in the Netherlands, to win their group. This time they couldn't beat ISRAEL at home! Let that sink in, please.

This time around, Portugal is full of wingers and attacking mids. in 2002, they had Milan's Rui Costa and Benfica's Petit as the heart of their midfield. The guys who impose the rhythm, the guys at the root of creativity in their team. The guys who couldn't stop JOB (Ajax bencher) and Earnie Stewart (in NEC, one of the worst Eredivisie teams back then) from making passes to McBride and Donovan. Rui Costa and Petit, two guys head and shoulders above Caetano Veloso and Raul Meireles, the guys Portugal has now!

And we beat that Portuguese team that DANCED around the Dutch in their very own De Kuip stadium, and who were favored to make a run to at least semis in 2002. We beat them, with a team that was significantly WEAKER than what we have now. Our super-sub was Cobi Jones, a Galaxy player. A 2002 Los Angeles Galaxy player, back when the MLS was much weaker. Once again, let this sink: 2002 Portugal = 2014 Portugal, USA 2002 < USA 2010. And we beat them. With coaching that many here consider inferior: Bruce Arena.

Why aren't we expecting to get out of group? Why are we starting to say it's irrational to even expect it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can't see USMNT doing very well this world cup. They have no history. No pedigree.

No class.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Strikers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Di8QT98Zk
Clint Dempsey
Captain of the team. Also known as "the Deuce", and was great for Fulhamerica!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I like that he just doesnt even talk about Germany.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

He was ok to good for Fulham

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pissflaps posted:

Can't see USMNT doing very well this world cup. They have no history. No pedigree.

No class.

Unlike UKMNT who have a long history of choking and a pedigree of failure. As for class, well, Rooney? Ha Ha Blanche.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
An entire write up that ignores ronaldo it's amazing

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mr. Mambold posted:

Unlike UKMNT who have a long history of choking and a pedigree of failure. As for class, well, Rooney? Ha Ha Blanche.

We actually invented the game and have won a world cup? And there is no UKMNT we decided we wanted to play separately. We can do that because it's our game.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Total Meatlove posted:

An entire write up that ignores ronaldo it's amazing

Worse, it admits that he singlehandedly dragged them to the world cup but then instantly dismisses the idea that he might singlehandedly drag them to victory against the might of bradderz, deuce, mix and wondo

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pissflaps posted:

We actually invented the game and have won a world cup? And there is no UKMNT we decided we wanted to play separately. We can do that because it's our game.

That 'game' has been played for 3000 years(and I should know), you lot just imposed a bunch of stodgy rules. tell me another one I'm :allears:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
:siren::siren: Do you know what time it is?:siren::siren:

IT'S JOZY TIME MOTHERFUCKERS :getin:

OBSERVE

as other teams have to resort to witchcraft to prevent Jozy from a breakaway.

WATCH

as Jozy's quick reactions to send the ball out for a goal kick prevent the other team from a counterattack.

RECOGNIZE

Jozy's strength and power to hold off defenders.

MARVEL

at Jozy's win-at-all-costs aggressive mentality.

CHEER

as Jozy launches himself around the box to terrify defenders.

WITNESS

Jozy's skill at winning penalties.

CONTEMPLATE

Jozy's attacking positioning to get on the end of crosses.

Truly, a five-tool striker for the modern age.

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Bogan Krkic posted:

He was ok to good for Fulham

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think he was either very close to, or equalled the success of Brian McBride for us.
I can't hate on the guy, he could have left Fulham alot sooner for a better pay-check I think.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
i hope you yanks do better than you managed in 2010 yeah so you topped a group, but it only had poo poo teams like Algeria and England making up the numbers

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jozy is better than Ronaldo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

url posted:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think he was either very close to, or equalled the success of Brian McBride for us.
I can't hate on the guy, he could have left Fulham alot sooner for a better pay-check I think.

I agree he could have left sooner, and he always put in a shift but he was and is too limited technically to play a proper role in a good team that isn't just full of midtable grafters and journeymen. I like his rapping though

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

url posted:

Hell, I was interested enough to look

Clint Dempsey: 184 appearances, 50 goals
Brian McBride: 140 appearances, 33 goals

Other:
Carlos Bocanegra: 116 appearances, 8 goals
Eddie Johnson: 19 appearances, 0 goals :911:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I am hoping the USMNT is able to squeak out of the group but that somehow feels unlikely. Group of Death to America.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Rui Costa and Petit, two guys head and shoulders above Caetano Veloso and Raul Meireles, the guys Portugal has now!

lmao who the gently caress is Caetano Veloso, americans are so f*cking retarded

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

Other:

Say what you will about Jozy but at least he's not Eddie Johnson

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Bogan Krkic posted:

Jozy is better than fat Ronaldo

at being fat

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

We're in the 80th minute of Germany U21 - USA U21 and we just saw some awful play from the German forward Hans McBride, so bad the ref is walking to him with a card in hand.

Goodness!!! It's a green card!!! Looks like the USMNT have a new hopeful striker in their ranks. *Klinsmann looks on from the stands, crying a single tear*

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o73qnXFP7e8

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I welcome all american posters to participate in this thread about their national team and "the beautiful game" in all its glory

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Bogan Krkic posted:

I agree he could have left sooner, and he always put in a shift but he was and is too limited technically to play a proper role in a good team that isn't just full of midtable grafters and journeymen. I like his rapping though

Yeah, you're not wrong.

I was lucky the past few times I was in London (I left the UK nearly 10 years ago, and lived like a pauper on the South coast for 10 years before that) I had enough cash to go see a few games. Watching Dempsey put a few in was just great. I've never heard his rapping.
As much I love Fulham, I'm don't think I'm willing to put myself through that.

Real Name Grover posted:

Other:

Cool, cheers for digging that up.

184/50 = 3.68
140/33 = 4.24

I heart Dempsey a little bit more now.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dunban posted:

at being fat

I lolled

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lmao who the gently caress is Caetano Veloso, americans are so f*cking retarded

He's a cool Brazilian singer. That's why I believe that post is a troll but probably someone is that dumb idk.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mr. Mambold posted:

That 'game' has been played for 3000 years

No it hasnt.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Mr. Mambold knows; he is 3000 years old.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jozy is my hero and will score 8 goals in this WC

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
If your team won something before you were born it doesn't count. Anyone who says otherwise is a desperate failure of a failtard. If England did in fact win a world cup in the days before blacks were allowed to play (Haven't confirmed it myself) only really old people can be happy about it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vaginal culture posted:

If your team won something before you were born it doesn't count. Anyone who says otherwise is a desperate failure of a failtard. If England did in fact win a world cup in the days before blacks were allowed to play (Haven't confirmed it myself) only really old people can be happy about it.

Ah yes lets ignore 12 world cups ago because we're literal children.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

vaginal culture posted:

Even if this was the case, it must be still intensely depressing for american fans, id imagine they'd start lashing out at other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

quote:

CALL: You can't stop us
REPEAT: You ca'ot us

The gently caress?

• Locked thread