Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

PersonalGenius posted:

I don't have the money to pay someone to redesign my site properly. As a freelancer, I wouldn't want to offend someone by paying less than they are worth. So, I was thinking about using a service like Wix or Square Space.

Just a couple of months ago, I helped someone who had setup a WIX site. I could not get them off WIX fast enough. That site might be fine to get a "bad-to-below-average" website running if you have no knowledge of HTML/CSS, but I found it to be a nightmare if you ever want to modify things.

I haven't touched Squarespace in roughly a year and a half, but I seem to have a more positive memory of their product.

Your current site is probably better than what you'd get out of WIX -- not sure about squarespace, though.

Honestly, I'd look into Wordpress*. Despite the number of horrible, awful Wordpress sites that are out there, there are actually a lot of good themes. A basic portfolio site is pretty much a perfect use-case (in my mind) for Wordpress. Just about every web host has 1-click Wordpress installs, or you could just buy a Wordpress.com account. Then, pop over to Themeforest.com or whatever and find a theme that you like.

Think of it like buying a suit off the rack at a department store rather than getting something custom tailored. WIX and Squarespace is like someone giving you a bunch of different pieces of a suit and sewing machines and telling you to do it yourself.

* - Note: I only suggest Wordpress because I have helped many people install it an use it for purposes extremely similar to this. Other frameworks (Joomla, whatever) are likely just as capable, but I am not as familiar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread