Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Y'all should be proud of that fight for a point imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Y'all should be proud of that fight for a point imo

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Montasque posted:

And replace Bento with Mourinho who will be on the sidelines over Skype.

Wouldn't be the first time. Back in like 2003, when he was sent off in the first hand of the match against Lazio, he ended up using some fancy technology to manage the team from the middle of the crowd.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Eder is loving awful, how has no one mentioned that yet. He gave the ball away half a dozen times on the top of the 18 and couldn't even gallop 5 yards to chase after it

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Eder is loving awful, how has no one mentioned that yet. He gave the ball away half a dozen times on the top of the 18 and couldn't even gallop 5 yards to chase after it

He was really loving bad. That's what happens when you put 3 strikers in a plane and only your third choice can play for 90 mins. This has to be the worst preparation for a tournament since 2002.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

DaddyBigBucks posted:

All this is true, but, he is the best we got in that position.

Portugal 2014

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The forums are back just in time for Portugal to beat Ghana 5-0 and still not advance to the group of 16.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm sorry friends, if Ronaldo was fully fit this might be a different story but still the team is a disaster. Bento must go but I read somewhere that he "accepts responsibility but won't resign".

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Drogadon posted:

I'm sorry friends, if Ronaldo was fully fit this might be a different story but still the team is a disaster. Bento must go but I read somewhere that he "accepts responsibility but won't resign".

"We've got a plan for 2016 so I'm staying"

He's a loving shitlord, imo.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Looking forward to all our broken old player being two years older. The path to victory is before us!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Drogadon posted:

He's an utter oval office.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the forums crashed when Portugal drew, they come back when Portugal plays their last match.

if this isn't a sing from the Gods i don't know what to tell you.

lol not even going to comentate on Portugal - USA.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

According to aspie NATE SILVER we have 5% chance of going through and a less than 1% chance of winning the world cup.

Hell, I'll take those odds.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hell with any hope ghana will strike due to the lack of money and we'll get a 3-0 win and Germany fucks the US properly.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mans posted:

hell with any hope ghana will strike due to the lack of money and we'll get a 3-0 win and Germany fucks the US properly.

Ghana to stage a protest on the field allowing us to score goal after goal until they are paid. We win 10-1.

Meanwhile Germany and the USA tie 1-1. Klose will be gifted a goal to break Fat Ronaldo's record. For the last '45 they just kick the ball around and try not to giggle. Germany and the USMNT go through. Both lose in the round of 16.

Forever June 26th 2014 will live on in infamy as the day football's bloated corpse exploded.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mean Bean Machine posted:

There have been ten (10) muscle injuries in this team during the WC. How is that even loving possible, what's going on in that training camp, did someone piss in the blood bags or something loving hell

Too short of a window between the end of the season and the WC to get a proper cycle in. Playing while on gear is a recipe for disaster I think this tournament is going to take 3 years off Ronaldo's career.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

vaginal culture posted:

Too short of a window between the end of the season and the WC to get a proper cycle in. Playing while on gear is a recipe for disaster I think this tournament is going to take 3 years off Ronaldo's career.

His first proper training session in two months was this world cup. The whole preparation for the tournament was ridiculous, and some major amateur hour.

Bento should get a clue from Prandelli.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013
https://twitter.com/footyGhana/status/482108608252243969

Boateng and Muntari "sacked" from World Cup squad. Ghana are possibly having an even worse World Cup than Portugal. Muntari was out anyway, but with Boateng gone, perhaps Portugal can snatch a tasty 1-1 draw?

BIMSTAR
Sep 6, 2005

going up up up bouncy hop high hop

Roy Gato III posted:

Boateng and Muntari "sacked" from World Cup squad. Ghana are possibly having an even worse World Cup than Portugal. Muntari was out anyway, but with Boateng gone, perhaps Portugal can snatch a tasty 1-1 draw?

Portugal's chance of going through rocketed from 5 % to 6 %.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Roy Gato III posted:

What the hell is this about?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Electronico6 posted:

Bento should get a clue from Prandelli.

I hope you mean "resign immediately"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm sure I read a statement from the head of the Portugal FA saying that Bento was staying on even if they went out during the group stage

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jose posted:

I'm sure I read a statement from the head of the Portugal FA saying that Bento was staying on even if they went out during the group stage

Yeah, unfortunately he is staying, but only until Jorge Mendes finds someone better, or Ronaldo has a bit of a cry.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Bento now has a 6% chance of staying as our manager.

He's been a disaster this campaign. Still at least we're not Ghana(who will most likely beat us)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Bento finally plays the midfield everyone has been saying he should play (W. Carvalho, Moutinho, R. Amorim) except he does it because of injuries and when we no longer have a chance at progressing past the group stages, what a cool guy.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

ESPN says its because of a row with between the players, manager and an official. Possibly to do with the money the Ghana FA is witholding from the players and will assuredly decide to invest wisely.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Jose posted:

Everyone knew the FA wouldn't fire Bento because a couple of months ago the head of the FA said Bento was one of the best coaches in the world shortly before signing a new deal with him till the 2016 Euro, so getting rid of him now would be an admission of incompetence from him. What people in Portugal were expecting was that Bento, after this dismal campaign, would quit out of some sense of shame and pride or something, but he said yesterday he's not quitting.

quote:

Boateng insulted the manager and Muntari punched some FA guy during a meeting yesterday about the participation or prize money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its really strange how often FA's offer managers new contracts right before a big tournament meaning if they do terribly they're kept on because its too expensive to sack them

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mean Bean Machine posted:

What people in Portugal were expecting was that Bento, after this dismal campaign, would quit out of some sense of shame and pride or something, but he said yesterday he's not quitting.

What a pig headed stubborn son of a bitch.

I know it's only a matter of time before his rear end is on the street, but I wish it would come sooner.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Its really strange how often FA's offer managers new contracts right before a big tournament meaning if they do terribly they're kept on because its too expensive to sack them

Its normally to prevent them quitting right before a tournament.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Guys, I don't think Portugal can make it out of the group

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Electronico6 posted:

Guys, I don't think Portugal can make it out of the group

:allears:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beto was a real man. I was loving heart broken for the lad.

lol at Paulo Bento, what a oval office. Bring on Manuel José or Tony.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Bento is named after stupid Japanese boxed lunch. gently caress him forever, never a true Portuguese.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

Beto was a real man. I was loving heart broken for the lad.

lol at Paulo Bento, what a oval office. Bring on Manuel José or Tony.

Jaime Pacheco.

:v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine if we had Beto, Antunes Balves Pepe Coentrao William Moutinho Amorim Nani Ronaldo and then one of Bebe, Quaresma or Varela as starting 11.

Just imagine.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Mans posted:

Bring on Manuel José or Tony.

Jesus gently caress I don't want to even imagine such a thing.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

On the bright side, I think Portugal was the only team to not lose the next game after playing in Manaus.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

Imagine if we had Beto, Antunes Balves Pepe Coentrao William Moutinho Amorim Nani Ronaldo and then one of Bebe, Quaresma or Varela as starting 11.

Just imagine.

I am and Portugal still comes out third, cause Ronaldo's knee is poo poo, Moutinho is still in Monaco, Nani almost didn't play in this season, and also because Quaresma and Pepe headbutted each other in the match against Germany.

Oh and Paulo Bento is the coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

We were poo poo and this was never our year.

Hopefully we can show some promise in 2016. I doubt it, but a man can dream.

• Locked thread