Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Sad to see a keeper burn out in his early 30's when those should be his prime years, but he has played first team since he was 16 or some poo poo so its probably different for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
De Gea is excellent, and was one of the very few brights spots in Utd last season.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fulham are in for Casillas.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The only good news for Spain is that none of these players are gonna be in the next World Cup (or even the Euros) anyway.

Casillas, Xabi, Ramos, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Busquets, Villa, Torres, Cazorla, Pedro, Costa, almost everyone's a goner.

Casillas (33), Xabi (32), Ramos (28), Xavi (34), Iniesta (30), Pique (27), Busquets (25), Villa (32), Torres (30), Cazorla (29), Pedro (26), Costa (25)

Casillas might be done. If he doesn't make his way back into the first team at Madrid I can see him not getting selected, but he's still only 33 and he was so good for so long that it's still possible this has just been a really bad season and he'll recover. Del Bosque also loves him, so if he doesn't retire or resign I can see him staying on.
Xabi is getting old but his play style never really relied on speed or strength, so again I could see him recovering somewhat and featuring in the Euros, though he almost certainly wouldn't be at the next World Cup.
Ramos will stay.
Xavi is done.
Iniesta will stay, he was Spain's best player this year and is still a beast.
Pique will stay.
Busquets will stay.
Villa is probably done considering he's leaving Europe.
Torres might be done considering how bad he is, but again Del Bosque loves him so if he stays then Torres probably will too.
Cazorla didn't even deserve to be in the team in the first place (should have had Isco instead).
I don't like Pedro and I think he and Bojan are the epitome of mediocre players doing okay at Barcelona because they're surrounded by a world class team, but he's still young so I can't see him being done forever.
Costa will probably stay unless he does a Torres at Chelsea.

Spain need a serious rebuild and a rethink of how the team works from the ground up, which may involve shifting the focus to other, newer players, but the list of ones you chose will probably still be around for a few more tournaments. A fair few of them are still in their 20s, which is surprising given how gassed they looked last night (doping, lol).

This has been a wonderful tournament in that Spain were utterly humiliated and I can't see them being the force they were ever again, but I don't think they will sack every player who was remotely involved.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Casillas had his head done in by being benched in La Liga, that's all there is to it. He'll bounce back next season, as seeing how he committed his future to the club it probably means Perez will push for him to play regularly again. He'll be back for the Euros and probably retire from international football then.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I don't see why Costa would probably stay. He has done literally nothing in the Spanish national team and has one season of good football for a top team, he's a big nothing.

It's not just the age of the players, it's how much they'll realistically be playing in the next few years. Many of them are going to be phased out of their clubs now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't see why Costa would probably stay. He has done literally nothing in the Spanish national team and has one season of good football for a top team, he's a big nothing.

Because that's more seasons of good football for top teams than the rest of Spain's strikers at the moment?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's not just the age of the players, it's how much they'll realistically be playing in the next few years. Many of them are going to be phased out of their clubs now.

Costa has just signed for Chelsea and unless he does a Torres then you're an idiot.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
He will not have added to that in the next two years because he won't be that good at Chelsea.

He is almost twenty-six and has had one great season at a club where a bunch of players who have a proven record of not being that good also had great seasons.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I doubt Chelsea would have spent 30mil on him unless they thought he would be a success.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

I doubt Chelsea would have spent 30mil on him unless they thought he would be a success.

I don't give a poo poo what CHelsea thinks is a success. They spent 50 million on Fernando Torres.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

WHat they think doesn't mean much cf: torres, 'nando

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I don't like Pedro and I think he and Bojan are the epitome of mediocre players

pedro is twice the player bojan is though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Don't forget Shevchenko

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Costa will be a success at Chelsea, and i'm saying this as an Arsenal fan, for gently caress's sake.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Spain's striker situation wouldn't be so bad if they had just committed to playing one of the strikers they do have. Llorente could have done a good job for them, or Negredo. Even Costa, if he'd actually played games for the Spanish national teams. Every game they play is a dumb 'audition' for three new players.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I really enjoyed the complete lack of urgency in injury time and passing it backwards when Chile kept their shape

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I hope Cesc and Costa bomb at Chelsea because gently caress Chelsea.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Lots of bad words about Bojan Krkic itt and I'm triggering

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dell_Zincht posted:

Costa will be a success at Chelsea, and i'm saying this as an Arsenal fan, for gently caress's sake.

Costa is a Big Lad who spent the season bullying soft La Liga defences.

Premier League teams know how to deal with that.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Lots of bad words about Bojan Krkic itt and I'm triggering

He's bad, op.

BIMSTAR
Sep 6, 2005

going up up up bouncy hop high hop
I remember World Cups starting from Italy '90, and I still somehow remember Spain to be a team that has a good player or two, or Raul being the "young hope" of Spanish football. I was happy when Spain managed to win the Euro Cup 6 years ago, but I'm now just as happy to see Spain fall: it's always refreshing and fun to see the giants fail.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

BIMSTAR posted:

I remember World Cups starting from Italy '90, and I still somehow remember Spain to be a team that has a good player or two, or Raul being the "young hope" of Spanish football. I was happy when Spain managed to win the Euro Cup 6 years ago, but I'm now just as happy to see Spain fall: it's always refreshing and fun to see the giants fail.

Considering Spain were the perennial also-runs and the team that always seemed to have the players but could never win it, they've really done well for themselves and squeezed everything they could out of their golden generation. Countless others had the players and the teams but never quite reached the heights. It always sucks to lose, but I'd take "two world wars and one world cup" and that gold star over "oh yeah, I remember when you were third once or twice" any day of the week.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its amazing the difference having the best doping regime makes to competitions

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ZeeBoi posted:

Close thread.

This was a couple pages back but I can't stop laughing at it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't follow football outside the WC, is there something to the whole 'they doped then stopped and so lost' thing or is it just a running joke?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Peel posted:

I don't follow football outside the WC, is there something to the whole 'they doped then stopped and so lost' thing or is it just a running joke?

It's all entirely true

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Peel posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eufemiano_Fuentes

When pubedoc finally pulls his finger out he'll type up a thread that will make you understand just how hosed Spain in particular and football in general is.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Peel posted:

Wikipedia has some information.

It originated from substantiated evidence in the sport of Cycling.

Another BBC article.

Meh.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Spain still has a ridiculous amount of youth talent coming up or even already stablished like Thiago, Koke, Isco, De Gea, etc

They just need to get rid of the dinosaurs that are unable to make changes like Del Bosque.

BIMSTAR
Sep 6, 2005

going up up up bouncy hop high hop

Jose posted:

Its amazing the difference having the best doping regime makes to competitions

Yeah, this. It's not that Spain's "medical program" is unique. It's about who has the best juices. Like in, umm, any professional sport? Meh.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Funso Banjo posted:

Fulham are in for Casillas.

I just had a minor heart attack before i realized you were joking, drat you!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Peel posted:

Basically Spain are a victim of their own success as they're being watched like hawks by FIFA so haven't doped whilst also other teams have caught up to them doping wise and spanking them all over the pitch because of it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I for one welcome back our status of the plucky underdog.

Futbal is alive and well.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CareyB posted:

Basically Spain are a victim of their own success as they're being watched like hawks by FIFA so haven't doped whilst also other teams have caught up to them doping wise and spanking them all over the pitch because of it.

Also their superdoctor getting busted. Apparently the Spanish cyclists have turned to poo poo as well.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

dex_sda posted:

Also their superdoctor getting busted. Apparently the Spanish cyclists have turned to poo poo as well.

He was busted in 2007 and he's being working as an obstetrician for the past years.Note: he was investigated for a crime of endangering of the public health not doping because doping wasn't a crime when he was detained.Eventually he was acquitted because he was doing lots of things but endangering someone wasn't one of those.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 22, 2014

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lamadrid posted:

He was busted in 2007 and he's being working as an obstetrician for the past years.Note: he was investigated for a crime of endangering of the public health not doping because doping wasn't a crime when he was detained.Eventually he was acquitted because he was doing lots of things but endangering someone wasn't one of those.

he was busted twice wasn't he, second time in 2010

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish doping really is having problems

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Unrelated, but Nadal lost at Wimbledon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Unrelated, but Nadal lost at Wimbledon.

to an Australian teenager who started doing trick shots against him.

• Locked thread