Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

serious gaylord posted:

Theres a pretty good quote from Gary Neville about the Euro 96 semi final, where one of the physios came around with a 'pain killing' injection.

quote:

"Hoddle took over from Venables and it's been said before: if only he had possessed the man-management skills to go with his undoubted football intelligence. He was a very good coach who wanted England to play the right way.

"He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.

Only thing I could find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Casillas is completely done at the top level. I don't know if it's his head or his body that has gone but it's like watching Torres

De Gea needs the #1 slot now and forever

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Real Madrid won the titles in which Casillas played at goalkeeper, and he played really well in both tournaments, CL final nonwithstanding. Reina is bad, De Gea didn't have an amazing season or anything, and Valdes is injured. Even if Valdes had been selected as goalkeeper, Casillas would have ended up playing anyway.

Having said that, three consecutive important games in which you gently caress up is incredible, Arsenal-GK level of badness.

De Gea was outstanding this season (yet again) and managed to look good on a team that was nothing but shitheads playing below their level. He is easily good enough to play for a World Cup favourite as he is now, and he'll only get better.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mans posted:

Last time i heard of him was on his first season in England where he was comically nervous. Has he improved?

Casillas was plagued by terrible decisions in this cup and needs a prolonged rest. Dude's great but he seems shattered psychologically.

De Gea was bad in the first half of his first season and has made a couple mistakes since that has had everyone howling about how terrible he is, but he has been consistently excellent for two full seasons now and I think most United fans hope we can keep him for 10+ years.

• Locked thread