Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Good stuff OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We should cut spain a break because I'm pretty sure football players are the only people under the age of 35 who are employed in the entire country.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

i can't believe torres is playing even in a friendly

I think all the Madrid(s) players were being rested.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Are Spain going to do that loving thing again where they have 94% possession every game and use it win every game in the boringest 1-0 possible until they get to the final, because they're incapable of finishing? gently caress that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hegay posted:

Guardiola left Spain, and took his drugs with him

Then why did he get ruined by Madrid?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Have any spain players come out with excuses or saying that the dutch didn't play football yet?

All the quotes I've seen have been super self-deprecating and openly admitting how terrible they were. Both Xavi and Casillas said it was the worst game they've ever played in their whole careers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The only good news for Spain is that none of these players are gonna be in the next World Cup (or even the Euros) anyway.

Casillas, Xabi, Ramos, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Busquets, Villa, Torres, Cazorla, Pedro, Costa, almost everyone's a goner.

Casillas (33), Xabi (32), Ramos (28), Xavi (34), Iniesta (30), Pique (27), Busquets (25), Villa (32), Torres (30), Cazorla (29), Pedro (26), Costa (25)

Casillas might be done. If he doesn't make his way back into the first team at Madrid I can see him not getting selected, but he's still only 33 and he was so good for so long that it's still possible this has just been a really bad season and he'll recover. Del Bosque also loves him, so if he doesn't retire or resign I can see him staying on.
Xabi is getting old but his play style never really relied on speed or strength, so again I could see him recovering somewhat and featuring in the Euros, though he almost certainly wouldn't be at the next World Cup.
Ramos will stay.
Xavi is done.
Iniesta will stay, he was Spain's best player this year and is still a beast.
Pique will stay.
Busquets will stay.
Villa is probably done considering he's leaving Europe.
Torres might be done considering how bad he is, but again Del Bosque loves him so if he stays then Torres probably will too.
Cazorla didn't even deserve to be in the team in the first place (should have had Isco instead).
I don't like Pedro and I think he and Bojan are the epitome of mediocre players doing okay at Barcelona because they're surrounded by a world class team, but he's still young so I can't see him being done forever.
Costa will probably stay unless he does a Torres at Chelsea.

Spain need a serious rebuild and a rethink of how the team works from the ground up, which may involve shifting the focus to other, newer players, but the list of ones you chose will probably still be around for a few more tournaments. A fair few of them are still in their 20s, which is surprising given how gassed they looked last night (doping, lol).

This has been a wonderful tournament in that Spain were utterly humiliated and I can't see them being the force they were ever again, but I don't think they will sack every player who was remotely involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't see why Costa would probably stay. He has done literally nothing in the Spanish national team and has one season of good football for a top team, he's a big nothing.

Because that's more seasons of good football for top teams than the rest of Spain's strikers at the moment?

• Locked thread