Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Davros1 posted:

Manos is awesome, but it's one where you'd have to be a serious fan of the show to enjoy. Manos was the first MST3K I was ever shown (a fan was trying to get me as a fan), and it was just awful. Hated the show after that. But one day we watched Mitchell, and that was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. It made me a fan, and it wasn't until later that I could go back and truly enjoy Manos.

It was my first episode as well. I watched it around 2003 when I first got into the show, after hearing about it non-stop online. It's not a BAD episode for a first-timer but there are a lot of little moments that only click for seasoned MST3K fans. Namely that the Best Brains crew found the movie so absolutely bizarre they weren't sure they could riff it, but wanted the world to see Manos at the same time so it's a little meta at times. After I watched episodes like Laserblast, Mitchell and the Coleman Francis trilogy I understood the framework of the show that made Manos a LOT more entertaining to watch.

Anyways, my 5 in alphabetical order

Danger!! Death Ray (worth it just for their reaction to the special effects)
Laserblast (any MST3K newbies, this is the one for you and I wish it was the first one I watched)
Mitchell (final Joel episode, easily the most quotable episode they did)
Red Zone Cuba (personally, the worst movie I thought they did but the thing about MST3K fans is everyone has "the worst movie")
Space Mutiny (the riffs on this one are golden)

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I think it really comes down to the Mike/Joel split. I'm a Mike man.

I know I'm bringing up the Joel vs. Mike debate that never ends. But watching MST3K as an adult I'm getting that they had two different styles of comedy that worked brilliantly in different ways. Joel was all about attitude, cadence and demeanor (often in reaction to the bots) which worked VERY well when it worked. Mike, being the head writer of the show, was all about articulation and dialogue which meant we got hilarious exchanges like the famous "They blew up the Hitler building!" riff.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread