Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TasmanianX posted:

Sadly, this isn't a thread about Rio's prostitute offerings, as I had hoped.

Too expensive for JB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Força Brasiu :cheers:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Fresh Internet Meem Content, gentlemen.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Fresh Internet Meem Content, gentlemen.

chora croácia :qq:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

chora croácia :qq:

On that note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkunydcZoDM

Edit:
for those less than fluent in Portuguese:
http://lyricstranslate.com/pt-br/vou-festejar-ill-celebrate.html

Context: a song that Atletico Mineiro fans sing to provoke opponent fans as games come to a close and Atletico is ahead.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 13, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Best 0-0 I've seen for a while, but ffs, so many chances and all spooned/ mis-hit, and generally hosed in one way or another.

I'm starting to think my strategy of supporting the winners is flawed!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

url posted:

Best 0-0 I've seen for a while, but ffs, so many chances and all spooned/ mis-hit, and generally hosed in one way or another.

I'm starting to think my strategy of supporting the winners is flawed!

I think Spain will get their poo poo together and kick them out in the round of 16.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Fred is such a hilariously dull name in the context of all the fancy, florid Brasiliero names.

"Hulk! Bacteria! Mosqito! Socrates! Wagner Love! Neymar! Ronaldinho! .... Fred."

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brasil have been really loving underwhelming. Fred and Jo up front has to be the worst options they've had in a long long time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still can't believe Pato sucks so bad he couldn't even get called up.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Brazil's problem is that Fred sucks so much, with a proper striker they'd be lethal.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Volkerball posted:

I still can't believe Pato sucks so bad he couldn't even get called up.

He's rapidly turned in to a classic washed up Brazilian striker, all he needs to do now is get hilariously fat.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They should really start william instead of paulinho and jo instead of fred. Not that jo is all that good, but at least he is runs a bit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So was the talk about Brazil being a solid chance to win hype, or have they become terrible, or am I judging too early?

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Gigi Galli posted:

He's rapidly turned in to a classic washed up Brazilian striker, all he needs to do now is get hilariously fat.

Including getting ridden into the ground by some aspiring italian minnow. :smug:

I kid :glomp:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

So was the talk about Brazil being a solid chance to win hype, or have they become terrible, or am I judging too early?

Too early. Ochoa absolutely stole that game. Brazil obviously isn't gonna go beating Germany 5-0, but they have a solid chance to beat anyone. We'll see what happens in the knockout stages.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I were Scolari I'd seriously consider putting one of Hulk or Neymar up front and Willian or one of the other midfielders on the wing. Fred is just so bad compared to the rest of the team, he drags the whole offence down, and it's not like Jo is a better option.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is Hulk's injury long term or just a one match thing?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Is Hulk's injury long term or just a one match thing?

He probably was fit enough that he could have played against Mexico, but I guess Scolari didn't want to risk him. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start against Cameroon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

If I were Scolari I'd seriously consider putting one of Hulk or Neymar up front and Willian or one of the other midfielders on the wing. Fred is just so bad compared to the rest of the team, he drags the whole offence down, and it's not like Jo is a better option.

I was thinking the same thing. Their midfield depth is way better than their starting strikers. Their scheme seems heavy on bringing Marcelo and Alves up the wings from the back line, but they could also move Hulk to striker, Alves forward and throw in Maicon at RB. Alves and Neymar on the wings would get the job done. They really need Hulk back by the knockout stages, but they should be able to get the win against Cameroon even with the lineup they started yesterday.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Now that Brazil have escaped nailed on reds in two of their group matches do you think that in the game against Cameroon someone might get sent off just to make it look better.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Total Meatlove posted:

Now that Brazil have escaped nailed on reds in two of their group matches do you think that in the game against Cameroon someone might get sent off just to make it look better.

Maybe if they're 3-0 up and it won't effect the result

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Maybe if they're 3-0 up and it won't effect the result

Like this team could score 3 legit goals

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hulk was poo poo against Croatia. Oscar, Willian and Bernard behind Neymar imo

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hulk was poo poo against Croatia. Oscar, Willian and Bernard behind Neymar imo

Bernard was pretty bad yesterday I thought, didn't see him do much. Maybe they don't have any alternative on that wing?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Doctor Malaver posted:

I think Spain will get their poo poo together and kick them out in the round of 16.

We're assuming both will get that far. It seems horribly unlikely that both could gently caress up that disastrously, but, it's been a surprising tournament so far.

I will be broken hearted if Brazil lose to Spain.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I thought Brazil were just patently retarded in their approach to the game and massive blame goes to Scolari. Every time they attacked form wide positions they had massive success but they spent the vat majority of the game trying to play through 8 of Mexico's players. It was completely incomprehensible, sometimes Alves or Marcelo would be out wide, with space and opportunity to go one on one with Aguilar or Layun and instead they would cut inside over and over again.

It was Arsenal-esque, just endlessly running into the brick wall of 10 men behind the ball and doing nothing different. Really don't understand it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Brazil beat Cameroon 4-1. Fernandinho, Fred, and Neymar (2) scored, but it became even clearer that Brazil's offence is really reliant on Neymar having a good day. Hulk and Fred were both really bad, Fred bundling in an offside tap-in really doesn't excuse the rest of his poo poo play dragging down the team all game. Paulinho was also really bad in the centre of midfield, and Brazil's defence was exposed once again, this time by Marcelo completely switching off at the back post.

One big positive is that Fernandinho looked really good when he replaced Paulinho at half time, and joined Gustavo who had an incredible game. If Scolari wasn't asleep for the second half (I know I was for most of it) he should start Fernandinho and Gustavo next game and that would improve Brazil's play a lot. But Brazil, shockingly for a country blessed with so much talent, look like a one-man team this year. If any team in the knockouts can shut down Neymar, I expect Brazil will go out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We're gonna get smashed by Germany so bad.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Dias posted:

We're gonna get smashed by Germany so bad.

Given our performance today I'm really scared of facing Uruguay next.

Between the two, Colombia is a better team, but I think we are more suited to play them instead of Uruguay, both tactically and psychologically.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just got back from Mineirao. And its funny how like 90% of the Brazilian fans have never been in a soccer stadium before. They were distributing these at the entrance:

For those not familiar with Brazilian stadium chants, this is the equivalent to distributing instructions on how to sing 7 nation army at an European stadium.

As for the game itself, Julio Cesar has made me eat crow.

And if Daniel Alves starts next match, we can be sure he has some dirt on Felipao. At this point, it'd be better to improvise Jefferson in his position.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VisAbsoluta posted:

Given our performance today I'm really scared of facing Uruguay next.

Between the two, Colombia is a better team, but I think we are more suited to play them instead of Uruguay, both tactically and psychologically.

Honestly, and this could come back to haunt me Friday, I think both Colombia and Uruguay are way easier adversaries than Chile actually was. Some people think Brazil just had a bad game, but it wasn't that, Brazil isn't that great of a squad and Chile's 3-4-3 is crafted to counter our playstyle. Uruguay is terrible - even worse now that Suarez is out - and Colombia is...okay, I guess, but not as strong as Chile by any means. Also, they are way lighter on marking and Brazil's strong suit is fast breakaways with Neymar.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I literally vomited l in my mouth during those penalties.

I really hope you're right. But, ....

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Dias posted:

Honestly, and this could come back to haunt me Friday, I think both Colombia and Uruguay are way easier adversaries than Chile actually was. Some people think Brazil just had a bad game, but it wasn't that, Brazil isn't that great of a squad and Chile's 3-4-3 is crafted to counter our playstyle. Uruguay is terrible - even worse now that Suarez is out - and Colombia is...okay, I guess, but not as strong as Chile by any means. Also, they are way lighter on marking and Brazil's strong suit is fast breakaways with Neymar.

Seems about right to me. Chile's defensive work today was outstanding and even then Brazil had quite a few chances. I do not think Colombia can match that effort. If Hulk or Neymar get some free space, they will slice open the Colombian defense. Also Alexis Sanchez was immense today.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I agree too, Chile easily could give any of the 15 finalists a run for their money and send them home. Their tactical sense was immense, good values individually as well. Sampaoli owns.

Still, Rodriguez and Cuadrado will be troublesome to say the least.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think it will be easier for Brazil to score against Colombia, they have old and not very mobile centre backs but they still like to play attacking football so could leave space open for Neymar. The problem is that everyone now knows that if you shut down Neymar you shut down most of Brazil's attacking threat. Oscar, Jo, Hulk, and Fred really didn't show enough last match to worry 90% of the teams left in this tournament. That being said, with Brazil's defensive frailties and tendency for one of Luiz, Alves, or Marcelo to switch off at the back I would be concerned about playing Rodriguez and Cuadrado.

I think Brazil will still win it, but I think it will be much more difficult than they would like.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Probably the winning tactic against Brazil will be making Neymar do 360s off of light contact until he gives himself a (TRIGGER WARNING) concussion.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Brazil are extremely unlikely to make it past the semifinals anyway because thats when they run into France or Germany. Colombia play very passionately and Brazils defense have not been the best. Colombia vs Brazil will be all about posession since both focus on attacking football. This brings me to Brazils biggest problem:

Brazils midfield is also poo poo and could not handle Chile or even Mexico, this does not bode well for them against Colombia much less Germany.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 29, 2014

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think you are underestimating Chile and Mexico and overestimating Germany and France. The German team had a hard time scoring vs USA and France has only met really weak opposition so far (as has Colombia imo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
France is playing really well as a team, people aren't just looking at their GD. So is Colombia actually, which is exactly what could trip up Brazil right now, and almost did. Colombia & France are both better than chile IMO and look at that match.

• Locked thread