Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bernard loving owned with Mineiro, and is probably going to be really famous some day. Jo, Dinho, and Bernard on the same team wasn't even fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the stories about Corinthians supporters travelling to Tokyo for the Club World Cup against Chelsea the year they won the libertadores. People were selling their cars to get tickets, and then they went there and owned the stadium because no one from England cared enough about that game to go or even watch on tv. Brazilian fans are the best.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Except for when they murder little kids with road flares.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hegay posted:

Looks like Brazil is fielding their best XI?

Some dude in goal; Alves - David Luiz - Thiago Silva - Marcelo; Gustavo - Paulinho - Oscar; Hulk - Fred - Neymar

loving hell that's a pathetic Brazil squad tbh

Sucks Pato sucks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It just hit me that Lucas didn't get selected, but Bernard did. lol

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still can't believe Pato sucks so bad he couldn't even get called up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

So was the talk about Brazil being a solid chance to win hype, or have they become terrible, or am I judging too early?

Too early. Ochoa absolutely stole that game. Brazil obviously isn't gonna go beating Germany 5-0, but they have a solid chance to beat anyone. We'll see what happens in the knockout stages.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

If I were Scolari I'd seriously consider putting one of Hulk or Neymar up front and Willian or one of the other midfielders on the wing. Fred is just so bad compared to the rest of the team, he drags the whole offence down, and it's not like Jo is a better option.

I was thinking the same thing. Their midfield depth is way better than their starting strikers. Their scheme seems heavy on bringing Marcelo and Alves up the wings from the back line, but they could also move Hulk to striker, Alves forward and throw in Maicon at RB. Alves and Neymar on the wings would get the job done. They really need Hulk back by the knockout stages, but they should be able to get the win against Cameroon even with the lineup they started yesterday.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is this real life

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Me too. If this game got played 100 times, that was probably the worst one out of all of them. Obviously Germany was the better team, but drat that is some lovely luck. Everything went wrong.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joepinetree posted:

On other news, it is widely rumored that the next coach will be Tite (of Corinthians fame).

Grinding out those 1-0 wins. Wonder how high he is on Pato after last season.

Another fun fact. Brazil outshot Germany. :v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

Do Brazil (and other South American countries) have the money in their leagues to bring in outside talent, or keep domestic players from going to Europe at least?

Usually anyone really really good is already being rumored to head to Europe by the time they are 20. Bernard, Lucas, Neymar, and Oscar are the recent examples. The only outside talent coming back in is Brazilians who are either old and want to finish up their careers in Brazil like Ronaldinho, or weren't doing anything very impressive in Europe, like Pato and Renato Augusto. I'm not sure about great Brazilian players who only played in the Brasileiro in recent history. I'd assume any examples would be few and far apart, because Europe can offer so much more money and competition, although Brazil has the better atmosphere, culture, and commentators imo.

joepinetree posted:

Not to be too much of a homer, but I would love to see Cuca as the manager. He plays the sort of all out offense Brazilians like, and has had a lot of success in recent years.

But besides managers and fixing CBF's corruption, I really do think that going forward south American sides are going to have an uphill battle in the international stage. Given current transfer patterns and all that, it is highly unlikely that Brazil will ever have a situation where you get half the starters playing for the same team throughout the regular season. So they will have to rely on out of this world talent (like current Argentina with Messi)instead of chemistry.

Mineiro was a ton of fun to watch, but to be fair, Dinho, Jo, and Bernard would be a hard combo to lose with. Why did he go to China of all places?

Also, aside from like Germany and Bayern, I don't think there's a whole lot of top tier countries that have a huge part of their core playing for the same team any more so than Brazil. All their top talent are still going to end up at Real, Barca, Chelsea, etc, so some of those guys are going to have chemistry together.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli posted:

2 good seasons with Milan, got injured, stayed injured, continued to be injured, PSG wanted to buy him for 30 million, Milan thought he would recover, never recovered, sent back to Brazil for 8 million, got fat?

He's being rumored to transfer back to Europe for 5 million iirc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is everyone fired yet?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oscar and Bernard are probably safe bets. I still have no idea why Lucas wasn't selected, but I bet he's happy about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you've got Maicon riding the bench to start, you're in pretty good shape. Alves and Marcelo were basically the two guys you would pick in the world if you wanted to be able to push up on the wings with your right and left back. Silva is incredible, and David Luiz was no joke coming into the world cup. They legitimately had one of the best defensive lineups in the cup, but poo poo went downhill quick, and they never recovered. That's why they call it the beautiful game.

• Locked thread