Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
In boot camp there was a christian rock band or something one night at the chapel. The DIs asked for a volunteer to watch the squad bay while the platoon was rockin' out to jesus. Some kid raises his hand and is like "this recruit is an atheist" and I thought LOL idiot way to be different.

So the rock band is like 3 old dirty desert hippies and they sing songs about jesus. Between songs about jesus they take time to talk about jesus.

The weird thing is that every recruit in the company is on their feet, arms in the air, weeping with joy and SINGING ALONG BECAUSE THEY KNOW THE WORDS THEY KNOW THE loving WORDS TO EVERY SONG.

That's when I knew I was a true warrior. These other pussies were working with a net.

Victor Vermis
MIGHTY MIKE 3264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
During our first week of SOI the entire company of students assembled *voluntarily* to listen to some crusty old 1st Sgt sell a book he wrote. The title of the book was something like Jesus for Marines or Foxhole Faith for Marines.

What struck me about this incident was that, unlike boot camp, nobody seemed into it this time. 1st Sgt is equating homosexuals with pedophiles and pigfuckers, pepping us up for holy war, and warning us not to trust any atheists that might've slipped through the cracks at MEPs... but afterwards everybody was all mmmkay 1st Sar'nt.

A few days later, a sickly looking hispanic student threatened to kill me when I called him a human being for cutting in line. We were waiting to buy SOI challenge coins. I purchased two of them. For the majority of us, this was the last time we ever gave a poo poo about challenge coins. That was shower-shoe logic: god is dead, but at the other end of this thing I'll have a bitchin' challenge coin collection.

What that human being line-cutter, that crusty old 1st Sgt, and I didn't realize is that the world is lousy with challenge coins and gods. Those who carry both are of little use to the infantryman: chaplains, DoD civilians, "war"/"combat" "veterans", that guy from your bootdrop litter who has a breakdown between 1st and 2nd deployments and isn't allowed to draw a rifle anymore, military history enthusiasts, pogs, boots, boot-rear end-pogs, grandpas great and sergeants major.

This truth is not given as an enabling learning objective at SOI, but all true warriors come to know it thusly; between the first and second syllables of "fire", a whisper: "Their coin is given for your submission. Their god is given for your soul."

Victor Vermis
Deadly Delta

• Locked thread