Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
He's a solid zone corner but doesn't fit in Sutton's scheme at all, and is often-injured and past his prime. The Chiefs also have to pay Justin Houston and Alex Smith. The Chiefs don't have any great corners but have a decent group behind Flowers in Smith, Cooper, Owens and 2nd round rookie Gaines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Basically, for $7.5 mil, he needs to fit the scheme or adapt, and he hasn't. Granted, last year it may have been because there was no one behind him so he was hosed anyway.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

HappyHelmet posted:

I feel like there must be someone better than Percy to be out there fielding returns. Do we really want the most fragile player on the whole team lining up at a position that takes some of the most vicious hits in the league? I know he is good at it, but that's just asking for trouble.

Why have him then? I don't think you should gameplan scared of injuries. They're inherent to the sport and as we're seeing in OTAs can happen even on non-contact plays.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Nibbler posted:

Why have him then? I don't think you should gameplan scared of injuries. They're inherent to the sport and as we're seeing in OTAs can happen even on non-contact plays.

To catch balls out of the WR position. He's arguably the best WR on the team right now, and I'd rather not see that talent get sidetracked again because he got wrecked on a return. Turbin spent some time returning punts last year I don't see why he can't continue in that role.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.
Turbin was horrible and fumbled the ball. Also that was returning kicks which is different from punts. I don't think Harvin will do both and he is best suited returning KOs.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Pron on VHS posted:

He's a solid zone corner but doesn't fit in Sutton's scheme at all, and is often-injured and past his prime. The Chiefs also have to pay Justin Houston and Alex Smith. The Chiefs don't have any great corners but have a decent group behind Flowers in Smith, Cooper, Owens and 2nd round rookie Gaines.

The Raiders still have like $9 mil to spend. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Using Percy Harvin as only a WR is a waste of a perfectly good Percy Harvin.

Then again, so is using a Percy Harvin with all of the stock parts, everyone knows the Percy Harvin factory has terrible QC.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

HappyHelmet posted:

To catch balls out of the WR position. He's arguably the best WR on the team right now, and I'd rather not see that talent get sidetracked again because he got wrecked on a return. Turbin spent some time returning punts last year I don't see why he can't continue in that role.

Turbin is hot loving garbage on returns, I'd rather legit roll with Earl Thomas if we're too scared to use Harvin.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If the Seahawks are scared of Percy Harvin getting hurt on returns and their solution is to put the best player on the team on return duty instead, that would be pretty funny.

It would of course work out though, because Seahawks.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I saw this posted on Vic's column at Packers.com:

quote:

Vic, the fact that Sean Lee tore his ACL in what is supposed to be, relatively speaking, light jog-throughs of the playbook with no contact should be more concerning to the league then I sense it is. The only way I can see a mistake like this happening is by digging his cleat into the ground to make a cut and his tendons not supporting the mass of muscle/weight. Count me as one who has accepted and made the mindset change that we need to protect our players. Is it ludicrous to start thinking about weight control regulations by position in the NFL?

Yes, it is. I suggest that you make another mindset change: It’s football. You will get hurt.

Does this hold up medically? Are players more likely to tear ligaments because they're too big for their body frame? I guess this is a question for Swickles.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You have to have at least a winning season before you can start dressing like that, coach

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Bo Jackson and the running back from Nebraska with the 30 for 30 show literally rip the muscle off the bone due to strength?

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Brannock posted:

I saw this posted on Vic's column at Packers.com:

Does this hold up medically? Are players more likely to tear ligaments because they're too big for their body frame? I guess this is a question for Swickles.

It's more likely that he didn't train properly in the offseason.

The reason why there seem to be more injuries right at the start of OTAs and the season is because these players may have gone months without doing proper strength and conditioning. They do some light work here and there but really, it's their vacation. Yo are going to have players that do nothing and players that continue with the same routines.

Also, sometimes your body twists in weird ways and things break. You catch a divet, you stop short too hard. Things happen and they suck.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Most players don't spend their offseason running up the stairs of vacant stadiums like Larry Fitzgerald in underarmor commercials

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giants OTA news:

David Diehl is going to be a broadcaster for FOX now every Sunday, probably like Siragusa.

David Wilson is returning kickoffs and punts. He's great at it but having a HB return kickoffs is stereotypical Tom Quinn.

Steve Weatherford is a pedophile thats going to prom with a 17 year old tomorrow.

Walton got the nod over Richburg to start at center.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Quit making it so hard to fanatically follow my team

quote:

via SFGate[1] :
(There is a new practice policy for reporters this season. We're not allowed to write what we see in practice as far as where players are lining up, or in what order. Dennis Allen has to verify what we see.

quote:

via ScottBairCSN[2] :
Raiders implementing a new twitter policy y'all aren't going to like. No more info after indiv. periods. Radio silence til after practice.

quote:

via iBABuzz[3] :
For all practices that are closed to the public, blogging and tweeting are permitted only within the designated viewing window, described in section three of the 2014 NFL Media Relations Policy.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

All that and they'll still blow.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The early word from Eagles-land:

Jeremy Maclin and Arrelious Benn are healthy and ready to go. (Now that I've typed this, watch Maclin snap both of his legs off at the knee.)

Nate Allen is starting at safety for now. Yay?

Chip says the team is "light-years" ahead of where they were this time last year. Also says that as far as he's concerned, Sproles is a RB, not a receiver.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Finally a similarity with Al's Raiders.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Blitz7x posted:

lmao reporters are submitting to prior review by the subjects they're covering hahahahhaha kill me

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blitz7x posted:

Oh no someone is going to see how we line up our UDFA WRs and O-line! Information is our only weakness!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 9m
Biggest cheers of the day so far were after catches by Jared Abbrederis and Colt Lyerla.

whelp

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Any good articles about Saints OTAs?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Colts notes:

- Starting Oline right now seems to have Lance Louis at LG, with rookie Jack Mewhort backing him up. The presumed Week 1 starter Donald Thomas is still rehabbing an injury though, so I'm not even sure Louis makes the final roster. 2nd-year player Hugh Thornton seemingly still has the inside track on keeping the starting RG spot.

- Arthur Jones, recently acquired from Baltimore, has seemingly taken over Ricky Jean-Francois's role on the Dline, and also saw a lot of time at NT in the nickel. If I were RJF I would be concerned about this.

- Greg Toler was a surprise participant in OTAs, considering he's coming off an injury and is due for another one any day now.

- TY Hilton was watching but held out, presumably with an undisclosed injury. Hakeem Nicks looks good, and dare I say may be in the best shape of his life.

- 7th round OT Ulrick John is still not a person I am convinced is real.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lance Louis and Donald thomas holy poo poo it's like a dolphins linemen graveyard

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Benne posted:

Turbin is hot loving garbage on returns, I'd rather legit roll with Earl Thomas if we're too scared to use Harvin.

Richardson could return, dudes fast as gently caress

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

vaginal culture posted:

Richardson could return, dudes fast as gently caress

Does Lockette suck at it or something? He's fast as hell too and is a pure special teamer but I've never seen him return the ball.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lance Louis and Donald thomas holy poo poo it's like a dolphins linemen graveyard

These players were no good enough for the Dolphins. Either they're individuals of great tact, decency and decorum, or they're utterly poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tarbrush posted:

These players were no good enough for the Dolphins. Either they're individuals of great tact, decency and decorum, or they're utterly poo poo.

If we use Samson Satele as the projected value...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Thomas looked good last year before his injury, though that was admittedly a small sample size and it's not hard to shine on the Colts interior line (making Satele's accomplishments all the more impressive). I think Louis will be cut after camp depending on how Holmes and Thorton look as starters.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I know for sure about the Falcons OTA's is that they have placed Harry Douglas' brother under protective custody.

edit:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/brothers_of_falcons_wide_recei.html

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 29, 2014

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

pmchem posted:

Any good articles about Saints OTAs?

This should be a good summary of today's OTAs for the Saints.

Some notes:

- Byrd had back surgery, should be back with the team in a week.
- Vaccaro, P. Robinson, Haralson, and Butler all look to be completely healthy.
- P. Robinson taking snaps with first team defense, presumably to see if he can be the #2 corner.
- Tim Lelito took first team snaps at center. Golic Jr. and Armstrong also saw snaps at center.
- Stills and Charles Hawkins returned punts, but Cooks will certainly have a shot at that when he's done with school.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Can any Colts fan give me some actual info on this Daniel Adongo guy I've been reading about? It seems he's an athletic freak who played rugby and is still learning football, but it's hard to get anything even remotely objective

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Lessail posted:

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 9m
Biggest cheers of the day so far were after catches by Jared Abbrederis and Colt Lyerla.

whelp

I know midwesterners love their scrappy white skill position players but no one should be cheering Colt Lyerla.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
gently caress yes that hair.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

I know midwesterners love their scrappy white skill position players but no one should be cheering Colt Lyerla.

I drafted him in the second in the mock draft, and he went undrafted in the NFL, so I'm all in on that pony for bragging rights. :bandwagon:

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

shiksa posted:

Does cocaine abuse qualify as scrappy?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Burger Trench posted:

You have to have at least a winning season before you can start dressing like that, coach

Man as another pasty white ghost those hats are so practical from a "not dying of cancer" perspective, but they are so, so ugly. I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

shiksa posted:

What about his dealer?

• Locked thread