Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

zimbomonkey posted:

Remember this when Kelvin Benjamin is eating your secondary alive.

Desmond Trufant laughs in Benjamin's general direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Shath Hole posted:

Desmond Trufant laughs in Benjamin's general direction

That direction is up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kelvin benjamin

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

That direction is up.

Is a panthers fan knocking a player for being short? Steve Smith like... JUST left, dude.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Alouicious posted:

kelvin benjamin

lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this is still your fault somehow

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Is a panthers fan knocking a player for being short? Steve Smith like... JUST left, dude.

more like kelvin benjamin is really tall and jumps really high. Steve Smith did one of those things great, but he never learned how to grow 5 inches taller on gamedays.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well Smith also caught things thrown his way which is what I thought the knock on Benjamin was.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Smith wasn't particularly sure handed either this year. Slower, short, and less reliable. I think Kelvin could be an improvement.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 5, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well, yeah. Benjamin could be a huge improvement and an amazing receiver. He could also be Stephen Hill/any big athletic receiver with bad unproven hands that hasn't panned out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Wait, are we really saying that the riskiest WR prospect in this years draft is outright better than Steve Smith in his prime? What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kelvin Benjamin has looked really freakin good in OTAs, but I'd be willing to bet the receiver who's going to lead the Panthers is yards isn't on the team yet.

Steve Smith is a hero and a legend.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Benjamin looks good in OTAs...and may be an improvement over Steve loving Smith...

Not saying he won't be a good wr in the league but lets cool down the hype a little bit until he actually does something. I would think Olsen would be the leading wr based on their current roster.

I hate the offseason.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Zimbo you are going full Simple Jack right now

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm not predicting Benjamin is going to be better than a borderline hall of famer but it's not as if Smith set the world on fire last year.

It's really not CRAZIEST THING EVER to say he could have a better year.

Unless you saw him play in college.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

FizFashizzle posted:

Kelvin Benjamin has looked really freakin good in OTAs, but I'd be willing to bet the receiver who's going to lead the Panthers is yards isn't on the team yet.

Jerricho Cotchery owns

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Is it crazy for me to say that I think Cam Newton will be the team leader in receiving yards?

That still doesn't sound as crazy as Kelvin Benjamin in his rookie season exceeding Steve Smith's production. Since Steve is still in the league, I guess this won't be a very difficult comparison to have week to week this fall.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Is it crazy for me to say that I think Cam Newton will be the team leader in receiving yards?

That still doesn't sound as crazy as Kelvin Benjamin in his rookie season exceeding Steve Smith's production. Since Steve is still in the league, I guess this won't be a very difficult comparison to have week to week this fall.

Not a fair comparison, Smith will have NFL MVP Joe Flacco throwing to him

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ummmm all the Panthers have to do is use Kelvin as an end zone threat. Something they have lacked for ever...

If he catches 8 TDs he will be the best they've had in years .

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't think it's unthinkable that the leading receiving position could be running back.

The best pure catcher on the team is mike Tolbert.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alouicious posted:

Not a fair comparison, Smith will have NFL MVP Joe Flacco throwing to him

:golfclap:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't think it's unthinkable that the leading receiving position could be running back.

The best pure catcher on the team is mike Tolbert.

Man, I remember when this was true of Forte on the Bears. Nothing more depressing than when your best pure catcher is a running back.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Sataere posted:

Man, I remember when this was true of Forte on the Bears. Nothing more depressing than when your best pure catcher is a running back.

Pity Dolphins fans when our best qb was a running back.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We got receivers playing quarterback and running backs playing receiver!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Truly the end times

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

And a retard as a head coach!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

And shitheads playing o-line

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I can't stop laughing at Jordan.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I can't stop laughing at Jordan.

I'm all for him doping. He needs to get stronger, and holding him out of the first four games will keep him fresh for the stretch run.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Miami Dolphins will never be a good team again and I'm okay with that I guess

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Like even if Stephen Ross dies we will probably be sold to somebody more awful like what happened to the Browns

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The alternate to Stephen Ross does indeed appear to be worse. Jordan Zimmerman has had serious talks with Ross a couple years back about buying the team. He's like a combination of Donald Trump and some sort of spray-tanned self help guru:

http://www.yousleepwhenyoudie.com/category/sports/

It's really a no-win situation we're hosed any way you look at it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ehud posted:

Like even if Stephen Ross dies we will probably be sold to somebody more awful like what happened to the Browns

They are going to get sold to a minority owner of the Patriots and then proceed to somehow manage to get worse with an even better roster?

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

FizFashizzle posted:

Jon Baldwin, who impressed during OTA's with his tremendous size and athleticism, reported to camp in great shape and is so far filling the role of the team's No. 1 receiver while Bowe sits out with his contract dispute. Proclaiming himself as "super motivated," Baldwin apparently looks every bit the part of a top wideout, using his incredible 42-inch vertical leap to soar over defensive backs, particularly in the end zone on fade routes. Though he has not commented on the absence of Bowe, he did make it clear that he’s ready to step up, saying, "One of my goals is to try to make those types of plays and to make plays, period." The confidence Baldwin displays in his words, his better understanding of the offense and his own tremendous physical gifts is a dramatic and pleasant change from his tumultuous 2011 training camp, and he looks like a promising sleeper option with or without the presence of Bowe.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

excidium posted:

Jon Baldwin, who impressed during OTA's with his tremendous size and athleticism, reported to camp in great shape and is so far filling the role of the team's No. 1 receiver while Bowe sits out with his contract dispute. Proclaiming himself as "super motivated," Baldwin apparently looks every bit the part of a top wideout, using his incredible 42-inch vertical leap to soar over defensive backs, particularly in the end zone on fade routes. Though he has not commented on the absence of Bowe, he did make it clear that he’s ready to step up, saying, "One of my goals is to try to make those types of plays and to make plays, period." The confidence Baldwin displays in his words, his better understanding of the offense and his own tremendous physical gifts is a dramatic and pleasant change from his tumultuous 2011 training camp, and he looks like a promising sleeper option with or without the presence of Bowe.

What could have been...

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

excidium posted:

I tried to find similar training camp praise for AJ Jenkins and I... couldnt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

excidium posted:

You know who else has looked good in OTA's? Good receivers. Makes ya think.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ehud posted:

It will actually be sold to the Browns' owner. He will buy it from jail.

I'm sorry, but you should know ahead of time.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Ehud posted:

We got guys on PED suspension for the first time ever. We are so trying to be the Seahawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Volkerball posted:

You know who else has looked good in OTA's? Good receivers. Makes ya think.

Exhibit A: "Jeffery had a productive offseason working out with Brandon Marshall prior to training camp. He continued his stellar preseason work by having a tremendous showing at the OTAs and training camp. Chicago QB Jay Cutler said Jeffery had the best camp of anyone on offense."

...then again, everybody said the same thing before his rookie year, and he spent that whole season dinged up and not doing a whole lot when he wasn't. Even good receivers aren't stars right off the bat, most of the time.

• Locked thread