Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

defiantgiant posted:

Exhibit A: "Jeffery had a productive offseason working out with Brandon Marshall prior to training camp. He continued his stellar preseason work by having a tremendous showing at the OTAs and training camp. Chicago QB Jay Cutler said Jeffery had the best camp of anyone on offense."

...then again, everybody said the same thing before his rookie year, and he spent that whole season dinged up and not doing a whole lot when he wasn't. Even good receivers aren't stars right off the bat, most of the time.

He didn't put up crazy stats. But he very quickly took Hester's Reciever spot. And showed flashes when he wasn't commiting hillarious amounts of OPI. You knew he was going to be pretty good.

Also Mike Tice was calling that offense and he is incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A Man and his dog posted:

Ummmm all the Panthers have to do is use Kelvin as an end zone threat. Something they have lacked for ever...

If he catches 8 TDs he will be the best they've had in years .
Sounds great, but your logic breaks down when you imply the Panthers will be in the red zone 8 times or more this year

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Dexo posted:

He didn't put up crazy stats. But he very quickly took Hester's Reciever spot. And showed flashes when he wasn't commiting hillarious amounts of OPI. You knew he was going to be pretty good.

Also Mike Tice was calling that offense and he is incompetent.

Yeah, true, there'd be a play every game or so where you'd go "poo poo, he could be really good." And then he'd get flagged for pushing off like four times in a row.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sounds great, but your logic breaks down when you imply the Panthers will be in the red zone 8 times or more this year

The defense will probably get them there a few times.

Again they're going to acquire more receivers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
But what receivers are available right now?

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

AAA DOLFAN posted:

They could trade for somebody like Denarius Moore maybe. He's apparently on the outs in Oakland, I bet he wouldn't go for more than like a 6th, and he's still on his rookie deal so he'd be cheap. They need somebody who can stretch the field, and Moore at least has gobs of potential.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think right now they need someone who is a solid possession receiver. Nobody except the clinically insane are expecting Benjamin to jump right into the fold and be a stud, and Newton needs a chain mover at least

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Anybody interested in one Santonio Holmes?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wonder if Brandon Lloyd is still busy making zombie movies?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
He resigned with the 49ers.

Just quickly checking, the WRs currently still unsigned isn't exactly a great list, unless the prospects of Michael Jenkins, Brandon Stokley, or Kevin Ogletree excite you going into 2014.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fartknocker posted:

He resigned with the 49ers.

Just quickly checking, the WRs currently still unsigned isn't exactly a great list, unless the prospects of Michael Jenkins, Brandon Stokley, or Kevin Ogletree excite you going into 2014.

The Panthers are replacing Ted Ginn, Brandon Lafell, and 745 yards from steve smith.

People screaming the sky is falling on the offense aren't paying attention to what's actually coming out of the sky.

Ricky Proehl is a god king.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

The Panthers are replacing Ted Ginn, Brandon Lafell, and 745 yards from steve smith.

People screaming the sky is falling on the offense aren't paying attention to what's actually coming out of the sky.

What you're saying is... they don't need stars to replace the poo poo they had starting last year, and they don't care, because they're going to be run-centric in 2014 as well?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Are the Panthers going to go back in time to grab the young versions of Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams or something

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Are the Panthers going to go back in time to grab the young versions of Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams or something

DeLorean Ron

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If there's anything you can say about Stewart, it's that he should have plenty of tread on his tires.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
It'll be interesting to see how they replace a talent like Gross on the oline and the fact that they lost like 75% of their secondary in the offseason.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

If there's anything you can say about Stewart, it's Mike Tolbert.

Between Tolbert and Vonta Leech, are there any other really respected pure fullbacks left in this league?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The panthers secondary last year were all street free agents.

They were replaced with a couple others. At this time last year no one was expecting mike Mitchell to do anything.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^ Yeah, the secondary hit won't be as bad as losing Gross. That one is gonna sting.

Chilichimp posted:

Between Tolbert and Vonta Leech, are there any other really respected pure fullbacks left in this league?

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN

Jesus Christ, how could I forget Kuhn... I'm sorry Packers goons.

Ol' Toby Gerhart is a bell-cow back now, this should be funny.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Jesus Christ, how could I forget Kuhn... I'm sorry Packers goons.

Ol' Toby Gerhart is a bell-cow back now, this should be funny.

Ovie's fall from grace was pretty tragic. He did just finish his business degree though and is part of some sports talk show so good for him :shobon:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Ovie's fall from grace was pretty tragic. He did just finish his business degree though and is part of some sports talk show so good for him :shobon:

Saturday Nights 9-12... prime time for truckers *honk, honk*

Seriously, though I hope he sticks and ends up on a decent program sometime soon. He was awesome.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

defiantgiant posted:

They could trade for somebody like Denarius Moore maybe. He's apparently on the outs in Oakland, I bet he wouldn't go for more than like a 6th, and he's still on his rookie deal so he'd be cheap. They need somebody who can stretch the field, and Moore at least has gobs of potential.

He's better than Louis Murphy at least. :v:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FizFashizzle posted:

I know the Panthers organization is high on him, but is there really any evidence of this yet? Obviously they got an unexpectedly decent season out of Ted Ginn, but who else has Proehl really 'developed'?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

I know the Panthers organization is high on him, but is there really any evidence of this yet? Obviously they got an unexpectedly decent season out of Ted Ginn, but who else has Proehl really 'developed'?

He's a standout on the practice field, in the film room, and in coaches meetings. He works with the DBs to teach them better technique.

Kelvin benjamin will be his big test. It's not like he's had a lot of guys with any potential come through.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami dolphins trade brian hartline to the Carolina panthers for a 6th round pick and I kill myself

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I bet they add no one between now and the regular season, thinking they've got what they need between Greg Olsen and Benjamin.

And it's going to be loving hilarious no matter if they fail or succeed on that strategy.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Chilichimp posted:

Bruce Miller has been pretty great for us, but I'm not sure he's very well known.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Bruce Miller has been pretty great for us, but I'm not sure he's very well known.

In the same division, Michael Robinson was pretty big in terms of Lynch's numbers over the past few seasons, and he's definitely a pure FB.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Marcel Reece gets a lot of credit, but he's a hybrid receiver/halfback/fullback.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
PFF was in love with Anthony Sherman last year, I was happy enough with the regular old boring fullback things he did.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Bengals have a couple UDFAs who will compete for fullback. There's a guy who was a DT in college but will be played at fullback in camp. There's another FB from Stanford who will be the other challenger for the spot. Them against Orson Charles will probably be one of the most interesting competitions this year for the Bengals. They both fit the traditional fullback role a lot more than Orson.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Former Chicago Bears 1# Receiver Earl Bennett is available again.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Edit: This was, in fact, the wrong thread.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 9, 2014

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

DupaDupa posted:

Former Chicago Bears 1# Receiver Earl Bennett is available again.

Huh? Why did they cut him?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Lazerbeam posted:

Because he is Earl Bennett...just a hunch.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Lazerbeam posted:

Do you mean the Bears or the Browns?

Bears cut him because they had Marquess Wilson on the cheap, and Earl wouldnt take a pay cut. Then they signed Jared Allen.

Browns probably cut him probably because he's older and has a long, long history of concussions.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

I meant the browns, I thought they were really hurting for receivers.

Edit:

Shath Hole posted:

Because he is Earl Bennett...just a hunch.

But he's a decent player?

Lazerbeam fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 9, 2014

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Lazerbeam posted:

But he's a decent player?

He is ok, but like DupaDupa said, he is getting up there and has had an injury plagued career and not worth the asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Earl Bennett is a Football Everyman. He does most things a WR needs to do well, but nothing really extraordinary. He'll be valuable to some team, but if he can only be counted on to start 6 games then there isn't much reason to have him on a roster until mid-season.

• Locked thread